What's new

World's best assault rifle

@TankMan @fallstuff I have shot the 7.62 (.308) for most of my life. The .308 is the 2nd most popular plains game hunting round in SA. Where I live the hunting is mainly over long distances on grassland. I have grown up on the mantra that heavier bullets are better. The reasons for this are: the heavier bullets carry more energy, are better at defeating cover, are less affected by wind, penetrate more and can shoot further. Yes heavier bullets and bullets with a larger cross section experience more drag but that is something the shooter can compensate for.
Lighter bullets have higher muzzle velocities and expand better. Since the Geneva convention prohibits the use of expanding bullets for warfare that benefit is useless (I prefer solids anyway). Muzzle velocity is worth nothing if the bullet is going to change direction faster than a woman's mood the moment it hits a blade of grass or a crosswind.
As far as even comparing the .308 with the 5.56 goes...don't be ridiculous. I have taken Eland with the .308 at 200m and blesbok at 350m with solids and never had a problem. With the 5.56 I have seen a springhassie take a hit at 50m and survive. (see pic for what a springhassie is). I don't know what you mean by long distance but neither the 7.62 nor the 5.56 were designed to shoot very far. The 5.56/.223 is a terrible round and that is a fact.

My personal favorites:
View attachment 182264
The South African R1 rifle (a FN FAL variant)

View attachment 182266
The Immortal AK

the 5.56/.223 is not suitable for big game hunting. One should always use a round bigger than .28 for hunting purposes. Most of the engagements are probably going to be in less than 300 yards, 7.62 is great whenit serves its intended use. 5.56 allows a soldiers to carry more rounds than the other way around.

I am not saying which type of gun is better, just saying each gun, caliber type, or barrel size has its specific purpose.

the 5.56/.223 is not suitable for big game hunting. One should always use a round bigger than .28 for hunting purposes. Most of the engagements are probably going to be in less than 300 yards, 7.62 is great whenit serves its intended use. 5.56 allows a soldiers to carry more rounds than the other way around.

I am not saying which type of gun is better, just saying each gun, caliber type, or barrel size has its specific purpose.
I never used the .223 for big game... I saw it being used for varmint only and on that too it was not too spectacular. Yes sure you can carry more rounds but is it worth it for such a light cartridge ? I think not.

There are some surplus left, but not much. Syria army is already switching over to 5.45 by 39 and AK-74 combo.
For export purposes, Russia still produces 7,62mm RPKM light machine guns, which use same polymer furniture as RPK-74M but chambered for old 7,62x39 ammunition....

Countries producing this cartridge are:
Bulgaria
Cuba
Czechoslovakia
East Germany, now part of re-unified Germany.
Egypt
Hungary
North Korea
China
Poland
Romania
Russia, now the Commonwealth of Independent States
Yugoslavia (zastava)
Communist Bloc Small Arms Ammunition - Ammunition Pages
http://www.ammunitionpages.com/download/420/Russian 7.62x39.pdf

It is made by Also Pro in the Czech republic.
ALSA PRO s.r.o. - přebíjené střelivo

NORINCO of China still produced this round in 2014
NORINCO Copper Washed 7.62x39 Ammunition, Case of 1200 | Canada Ammo

I believe it is stil produces in RUssia as well
7,62x39, Vollmantel (Kaliber 7,62x39) von Tulammo - Patronen für Büchsen - Munition - Schießsport Online Shop - Frankonia.de
(check the box: Tulammo ... made in Russia)

ANd then there is militgary surplus from all the countries that used AK-47 ....

BS.

FAL = Fusil Automatique Léger ("Light Automatic Rifle")
FN FAL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SCAR = Special Forces Combat Assault Rifles
FN SCAR®-H STD

An assault rifle that can get the job done.

Like, if I were to fight a war on another planet, I'd pick the AK-47 :P
I'd pick on this planet too....

Specifically this one.

Ak_zps0c6650fc.jpg

2nd amendment is in tune with your signature. :)
Maybe I am only exposed to the negative side of the gun culture and what the 2nd amendment causes but, to me, the right to bare arms is misunderstood, misused and has caused too much pain. Just my opinion sir.

just my AK with some rounds during cleanup time.
Ammo must be dirt cheap in the US...I have never ever seen that many rounds next to one gun :) When I hunt I take 20 rounds with me...that's too many in fact. One round one kill :sniper:

Back
Top Bottom