The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
World survey of AIP submarines
Sat 19 March 2016 By H I Sutton

AIP_Survey.jpg

There are currently over 50 AIP submarines in service around the world, with the number likely to double in the coming decade. The largest single operator is China.

AIP_Table.jpg
Air-Independent Power (AIP) allows a submarine to run its electric motor and other electrical systems without using the batteries. It reduces the frequency with which the submarine has to put its mast above the surface to suck in air for the diesel engines to recharge the batteries. The submarine still has to snort for brief periods on most days in order to ventilate, but is much less exposed than conventional diesel-electric submarines. During operations, if the tactical situation prohibits ventilation then the submarine can delay snorting for much longer than normal. And it can revert to lighting oxygen candles (or equivalent) in dire situations. Therefore the submarine can remain submerged for much longer, giving the submarine commander much greater flexibility.

AIP is often described as Air-Independent Propulsion. This is no longer applicable as modern AIP Powers the electric motor rather than driving the propeller directly. Some historic and rare SDV systems are true Air-Independent Propulsion, but the term is outdated. As well as propelling the submarine, AIP provides lighting and electrical power for air-conditioning, refrigeration and other Hotel loads. Hence Air-Independent Power.

Initial systems were developed during World War Two but were not fielded operationally until the 1950s, and even then were mostly experimental. These early systems were often dangerous and got a bad reputation. As it transpired nuclear power held the key to unlimited endurance and first generation AIP fell from favor. It was only in the 1980s that the technology matured to the point that it could add days or even weeks to a submarine’s underwater endurance without being unacceptably dangerous or inefficient. There was never a huge appetite for AIP among the nuclear-sub equipped forces except from an export perspective (China may be the exception), but AIP promised a step-change in capability for conventional submarine forces. And AIP is not without its advantages over nuclear propulsion in some respects, particularly unit cost. AIP trades speed for stealth. On the down side it increases the size and displacement of the submarine, often involving an extra hull insert.

Today there are increasing numbers of AIP equipped submarines in service throughout the world, with more classes set to join several navies. Information on the topic is accessible but muddled with confusion between submarine types that are offered with AIP, and in-service units equipped with it. This article hopes to clarify some of these points.

http://www.hisutton.com/World survey of AIP submarines.html

Go to the page for further reading..

U.S should buy 24 Type 212 for $8 billion dollars

Russia only has three!!Even that is "under construction"!!!! :o:

Russia only has three!!Even that is "under construction"!!!! :o:
those three would probably kick *** other subs no matter what. just like there former class submarnes are scary.

Lada won't have them.

After having 4 submarines of this class Russia will stop building it. It will move on to another project which will have AIP.

One more reason is that primarily the diesel fleet of Russian Navy will not be sent beyond the Black sea , Baltic Sea and coastal areas of Russia in Arctic and Pacific and the Kilos have more than enough endurance to do that.

World survey of AIP submarines
Sat 19 March 2016 By H I Sutton

AIP_Survey.jpg

There are currently over 50 AIP submarines in service around the world, with the number likely to double in the coming decade. The largest single operator is China.

AIP_Table.jpg
This does not include the upgraded Greek boat Okeanos class (ex-Type 209/1400 AIP). Also Greece, has four actve 214s rather than three. Numbers for Japanese boats are also not correct. I don't know that Japan has any Asashio sub (this is an old, retired class). The Harushio class boat named Asashio was used as AIP testbed but decommissioned 2012. Haven't yet checked the remainder of the list.

This does not include the upgraded Greek boat Okeanos class (ex-Type 209/1400 AIP). Also Greece, has four actve 214s rather than three. Numbers for Japanese boats are also not correct. I don't know that Japan has any Asashio sub (this is an old, retired class). The Harushio class boat named Asashio was used as AIP testbed but decommissioned 2012. Haven't yet checked the remainder of the list.

I think the Greek submarine deal did not go through, it was cancelled by Germany after the problems with the Oceanos sub, and /or it was confusing somehow and was not mentionned in the article..

You can read the following article:
Greece sues for 7 billion euros over German submarines that have never sailed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...German-submarines-that-have-never-sailed.html

Last edited:
U.S should buy 24 Type 212 for $8 billion dollars

C130, man, the US of A as well as the UK and France have fully nuclear propelled sub fleets.
I don't see why any of the 3 would revert to old school ones at present.

Just pointing out, Tay.

C130, man, the US of A as well as the UK and France have fully nuclear propelled sub fleets.
I don't see why any of the 3 would revert to old school ones at present.

Just pointing out, Tay.

AIP diesel subs are more stealthy than nuclear powered subs

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/sweden-has-a-sub-thats-so-deadly-the-us-navy-hired-it-t-1649695984

I don't see the big deal if we were to operate two dozen of these.

we need them now. could actually acquire two different subs being built by two different shipyards so we get them twice as fast

Type-212= 12
A26=12

should have all 24 in 8 years

But C130, the nuke ones can be made just as stealth.
Pump jets for example works regardless of the power source.

But my comment meant to cover this development anyhow :
https://news.usni.org/2016/06/08/sweden_us_agreement

The USN knows about those subs better then foxtrotJ and co.
I don't think they're that afraid or jealous or whatever ... plus,
the last time a US carrier was virtually sunk was by an old Ruby-
class on the East Coast.

I'm just saying that as good as they are, nuke sub fleets won't
turn back on account of these nice AIP beauties.

Have a great day, Tay.

Back
Top Bottom