What's new

World Bank bowed to Indian pressure on water dispute with Pakistan: ex-commissioner

It seems that India has become so powerful under modi to make world bank surrender under india's pressure.

Modi is deliberating baiting Pakistan into war.

First point blank refusal to talk
second humiliation of their foreign. Minster in sarc summit in amritsar
third threat to water supply
fourth icmb test of agni five.

His like a Indian version of putin

I am aware what IWT is and don't try to teach me. As per your logic if that agreement was not fair then what took India so long for claim. Congress did rule India alone? Check the list and you will find other parties also rules India https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_India. Before post do some research and stop posting wrong information and even for BJP this is second time they are in power and first Govt and PM from BJP is Mr Atal Bihari Vajpayee. So by your logic all these PM was idiot and only current PM is smart? are your trying to say that all your ancestors were fool who elect your former PM and you are smart? or you are trying to say that all Indians were fool to elect your PM

Yes by bribing money
Waah Pakistani logic. We will do what we want to with our waters no need of Pakistani consent.
Take care :angel:

But if a day comes when the decision doesn't favor India it will just ignore it.

Actually,The arbitration involving India-Bangladesh and Myanmar,India promptly accepted the judgement and World praised India's decision and then poked China to follow India's path.

It was not exactly on India's side,but we complied anyhow.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/172960-un-india-bangladesh-dispute-end/

Yes by bribing money

Not everything is Pakistani District court my friend. :lol:

By the way,then why bother to file an arbitration in the first place?

Actually,The arbitration involving India-Bangladesh and Myanmar,India promptly accepted the judgement and World praised India's decision and then poked China to follow India's path.

It was not exactly on India's side,but we complied anyhow.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/172960-un-india-bangladesh-dispute-end/

Not everything is Pakistani District court my friend. :lol:

By the way,then why bother to file an arbitration in the first place?

When i say something i have proof for that, so if you have something to prove me wrong then show it and we also aware Indian culture and same thing applied for Indian district court as well. Not only that Indians are famous for these things Internationally and in Oman one case was become very famous for that and due to that Oman deport few Indians as well and that case was not more then 3 to 5 years back, if i am not mistaking.

When i say something i have proof for that, so if you have something to prove me wrong then show it and we also aware Indian culture and same thing applied for Indian district court as well. Not only that Indians are famous for these things Internationally and in Oman one case was become very famous for that and due to that Oman deport few Indians as well and that case was not more then 3 to 5 years back, if i am not mistaking.

Kindly don't go in there.You do know Pakistan has similar "Reputation" as well.I'll post Pakistanis who're getting jailed or death punishment for all kinds of stuff they were doing,or Pakistanis who are attacking other countries in some terrorist attack and whole thread will go down.

Now the question is where is your so called "Proof" that India bribed UN??

I didn't mean this one. In 2013 there was a arbitration in Indus water between India and Pakistan

Kindly post,then we can discuss.

Kindly don't go in there.You do know Pakistan has similar "Reputation" as well.I'll post Pakistanis who're getting jailed or death punishment for all kinds of stuff they were doing,or Pakistanis who are attacking other countries in some terrorist attack and whole thread will go down.

Now the question is where is your so called "Proof" that India bribed UN??

Kindly post,then we can discuss.

Where i mentioned UN here? even thou it is a matter of World bank but i didn't mentioned that too

Where i mentioned UN here? even thou it is a matter of World bank but i didn't mentioned that too

what kind of proof then???

Could u search for the article "jk water dispute india registers diplomatic victory over pak" im not able to post the link. It dates back to Dec 2013. Ther are plenty on that case and even the previous one in 2007

India won Kisenganga Arbitration case even though Pakistan didn't stop sulking about it.

Read here...

http://www.firstpost.com/world/jk-w...ters-diplomatic-victory-over-pak-1301075.html

Pakistan hailed it as their Victory.And yet.....

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/07/18/indus-water-dispute-going-to-arbitrators-again/

As a matter of fact,they proclaim a lot of such "Victories" for domestic consumption.No one else bothers about these.

Pakistan’s former Indus Water Commissioner has claimed the World Bank (WB), the arbitrator between Islamabad and New Delhi over an ongoing water dispute, bowed to Indian pressure.

“In my view the World Bank has bowed to Indian pressure which in turn is stalling on the process of resolution by a Court of Arbitration (CoA),” Jamait Ali Shah said during an interview with The Third Pole, a non-profit organisation. Shah added that Pakistan had approached the WB to set up the CoA as a last resort only after it failed to resolve the issue bilaterally with its arch rival.

WB’s delay in Indus Water Treaty mediation ‘prejudices Pakistan’s rights’

India recently revealed its intentions to block waters flowing into Pakistan. However, Islamabad took an exception to the Indian designs, saying any such move would be taken as open aggression. Pakistan disputed India’s move to construct two power plants – the 330-megawatt Kishanganga hydropower plant and 850-megawatt Ratle hydroelectric power plant. The power plants are being built by India on the Kishanganga and Chenab rivers respectively.

An exercise in futility

According to the ex-commissioner, the WB’s request to restart bilateral negotiations at the level of the Indus Commission is going to be an exercise in futility. “To my mind, this dilly dallying on the part of the Bank only reinforces the latter’s intention to give impetus to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s threat of scrapping the treaty,” he posited.

Shah went on to suggest that it was very alarming for Islamabad and there had been suspicion that India was pushing Pakistan for a Treaty II only on the western rivers, the waters of which were allocated to the latter in 1960. “That is why the Bank and the US are seen debating it and dictating Pakistan for an amicable resolution (revision in the treaty). Or at least India wants to get out of the restriction laid down on them in the IWT regarding western rivers, as India cannot liberally utilise these waters as per its will and demand,” he said.

Ministry’s disinterest adds to the damage

In response to a question regarding what strategy should Pakistan adopt in face of the growing hastily from its eastern neighbour, the former commissioner said the disinterest in matters of the ministry of water and power had added to the damage.

Pakistan needs to strengthen legal stance on IWT

“Pakistan first notified India for resolution of the questions (on Kishanganga and Ratle projects) by a NE (neutral expert) and then withdrew it, then approached the Bank for a CoA,” he said adding that it was an issue to be resolved by the NE being technical/design in nature.

According to Shah, processing the issue through CoA was not required. “But the question that comes to mind is to look deeper in the vested interest in the deadlock,” he said. “Who is guiding Pakistan to go round in circles? Most importantly, who engaged the two law firms in Washington DC which decided to process the case for CoA through the Bank?”

Claiming that many people aim to benefit from the case being taken from one authority to another, Shah said the expenses incurred were Rs300 million of which Rs190 million have already been paid.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1286328...ssure-water-dispute-pakistan-ex-commissioner/
People who truly put their country's interest first do what Indian officials did.

what kind of proof then???

India won Kisenganga Arbitration case even though Pakistan didn't stop sulking about it.

Read here...

http://www.firstpost.com/world/jk-w...ters-diplomatic-victory-over-pak-1301075.html

Pakistan hailed it as their Victory.And yet.....

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/07/18/indus-water-dispute-going-to-arbitrators-again/

As a matter of fact,they proclaim a lot of such "Victories" for domestic consumption.No one else bothers about these.

Once you guys accept it then there is no turning back and it is only black mailing and nothing else and i hope your own link tell you morally where are you standing and regarding proof of Indian bribe they bribe our former Indus water commissioner and he made false documents and hence we lost the case that time.

http://www.theweek.in/features/society/indus-water-treaty.html

My little contribution to this much-misunderstood topic that journalists provocatively report.

Publicly the 'dispute' over the IWT centres on just one perceived issue - India v Pak.

In actuality it is two issues - one ongoing technical dispute and one political issue.

The political issue is the one most people would know from recent memory - India grabbing more than its allocation of water or India walking out of the IWT to pressurize Pakistan - each no doubt fueled by Modi's public statements. I say this is a political issue because not only has the World Bank not been formally approached to 'resolve' this - it is extremely difficult to present a case without hydological data and evidence of quantitative use and changing flow patterns. That would be impossible in the few months that Modi first made this statement. World Bank also cannot be approached formally 'in anticipation' of a walkout. There are other informal channels - such as Kerry - maybe but World Bank cannot formally intervene under the IWT (similar to how a tenant cannot go to court and institute a suit against a landlord only on the ground that the landlord has been threatening to throw him out illegally).

Then there is the ongoing dispute over the two hydro power projects India is building on the Chenab and Jhelum (Ratle and Kishanganga). These are both run-of-the-river projects (meaning no water storage or utilisation). Pakistan's objection - raised first in 2011 long before Modi became PM - was based on first, whether India can draw the water in the reservoirs below the dead storage level except in an emergency and whether India’s use of water for the run-of-the-river projects was a violation of the Indus Waters Treaty. The Permanent Court of Internal Arbitration issued an interim ruling in 2013 allowing the projects with some technical conditions.

The current dispute seems to be over whether those technical conditions have been complied with. Pakistan has asked for constitution of a bench of arbitrators (or judges). India responded by asking for the appointment of a neutral expert. The World Bank did both - which was obviously foolish - and then withdrew the process for creation of a bench of arbitrators.

The Indian response to this has been that a neutral expert is more appropriate as this is a technical dispute, not a legal one - and a technical expert would also be able to confirm or deny the claim. For all the blundering India's External Affairs Ministry does I have noticed the legal position they adopt is usually very well researched (as can be seen from the many legal disputes that have been awarded in India's favour)

The neutral expert appointed is Ian Solomon, a former ED at the World Bank and former associate dean of Yale Law School. He is as qualified as they come and has impeccable credentials. News stories report he has already visited the Indian projects (very soon after his appointment) and that can only be a positive development. If India wanted to be stubborn or create problems it would have delayed his visit on some pretext or the other.

I believe what is happening in Pakistan is that the passions stoked by the political issue are influencing the legal and analytical approach needed to pursue the technical dispute. If unchecked this will hamper creation of an effective approach to the technical issue and will result in an embarrassment.

Last edited:
Once you guys accept it then there is no turning back and it is only black mailing and nothing else and i hope your own link tell you morally where are you standing and regarding proof of Indian bribe they bribe our former Indus water commissioner and he made false documents and hence we lost the case that time.

http://www.theweek.in/features/society/indus-water-treaty.html

Conspiracy Theory. :lol: Do you have any tangible proof??

And second,who told you "Once we accept,there is no turning back"???Ever heard the word "Renegotiation"??

Back
Top Bottom