What's new

Winter Olympics: Taiwan speed skater draws ire at home for donning China team outfit

It is just like Americans feel so proud that when in China they talk with me in Chinese, I proudly speak with them in English. Would I also piss off Chinese at the same time?

I didn't realize these Uyghurs emigrated out of "Uyghurstan" and naturalized as a Chinese citizens.

I didn't realize these Uyghurs emigrated out of "Uyghurstan" and naturalized as a Chinese citizens.
Look. You should try to overcome your habit of reading carelessly. Pay close attention to my phrase "in China".

Look. You should try to overcome your habit of reading carelessly. Pay close attention to my phrase "in China".

I guess you never realize that the naturalization process is to renounce your Chinese citizenship and switch your allegiance, an act that will rile some without needing to insist on speaking any language. That dimension or conflict do not exist for Chinese Uyghurs to make the same comparison.

I guess you never realize that the naturalization process is to renounce your Chinese citizenship and switch your allegiance, an act that will rile some without needing to insist on speaking any language. That dimension or conflict do not exist for Chinese Uyghurs to make the same comparison.
Nobody talked about naturalization process. I was simply making an example of someone speaking a non-native language in an area where his native language is widely spoken to a person who is speaking the native language to him. If you cannot even have a mental picture of that, please leave me alone.

Nobody talked about naturalization process. I was simply making an example of someone speaking a non-native language in an area where his native language is widely spoken to a person who is speaking the native language to him. If you cannot even have a mental picture of that, please leave me alone.

I understand your point, but context matters. A Hispanic insisting on speaking English to his Mexican friend will be looked upon very differently from if he insists on speaking English to a Spanish friend.

Back
Top Bottom