What's new

Wild Life of Pakistan

Muntjac (Barking deer)

9368e291ffaa543cf6f9879686ff5dd3.jpg

The Common Muntjac, also called Indian Muntjac (Muntiacus muntjak) is the most numerous muntjac deer species. It has soft, short, brownish or greyish hair, sometimes with creamy markings. This species is omnivorous, feeding on fruits, shoots, seeds, birds' eggs as well as small animals and even carrion. It gives calls similar to barking, usually on sensing a predator (hence the common name for all muntjacs of barking deer).

The male Indian Muntjac has small antlers which attain 15 cm in length and have only 1 branch. They grow annually from a bony stalk on the head. Males are extremely territorial and can be fierce for their size. They will fight each other for territory using their antlers or their (more dangerous) tusk-like upper canine teeth, and can defend themselves against predators such as dogs.
The Indian Muntjac is the most widespread but least known of all the animals in South Asia. This species is distributed throughout South Asia, but more densely located in Southeastern Asia. Some specific countries the Indian Muntjak is found in are Northeastern Pakistan, India, bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Southern China, Vietnam, the Malay peninsula, Riau Archipelago, Sumatra, Bangka, Belitung Islands, Java, Bali, and Borneo.

The Muntjac is usually found in plentiful forests and places with dense vegetation such as grasslands, savannas, tropical deciduous forests, and tropical scrub forests. They are also very populated in the hilly country on the slopes of the Himalayas. They are found at both sea level and medium height altitudes up to 9,800 ft. They never wander far from water. Also, males usually have their own territory which may overlap the territories of a few females but not of another male.

Chinkara (Indian Gazelle)

c5e1bcc2d65e4bddd6fab82e3167c0a4.jpg

414c5aa7f15214809645e002bf74d609.jpg

The Chinkara (Gazella bennettii) or Indian Gazelle is a species of gazelle found in south Asia. It lives in grasslands and desert areas in India, Bangladesh and parts of Iran and Pakistan. It is also known as the Indian Gazelle (Gazella gazella bennetti).

This gazelle stands at 65 centimetres and weighs about 23 kilograms. Its summer coat is a reddish-buff colour, with smooth, glossy fur. In winter the white belly and throat fur is in greater contrast. The sides of the face have dark chestnut stripes from the corner of the eye to the muzzle, bordered by white stripes. The horns reach over 39 centimetres.

It is a shy animal and avoids human habitation. It can go without water for long periods and can get sufficient fluids from plants and dew. Although most individuals are seen alone, they can sometimes be spotted in groups of up to four animals.

Python molurus

f0dd81bec3fdb2437bea4e9d102830c2.jpg

Common names: Indian python, black-tailed python, Indian rock python, more.

Python molurus is a non-venomous python species found in southern Asia. This is the largest snake species found in India. Two subspecies are currently recognized, including the nominate subspecies described here.[

Adults grow to an average length of 4 m and weigh an average of 70 to 129+ pounds. Their relative girth exceeds that of all other snakes. The longest recorded specimen measured 5.85 m (19 ft 2 in) (Cooch-Behar, West Bengal). Their scales are smooth and generally glossy for a snake in good condition. They have a flattened head with large nostrils, directed upwards and situated high on the snout. Their eyes are small and the pupil vertical, with the iris apparently flecked with gold. Pythons have what are commonly called spurs; vestigial or rudimentary limbs situated on either side of the anal vent.

The color pattern is whitish or yellowish with the blotched patterns varying from shades of yellow to dark brown. This varies with terrain and habitat. Specimens from the hill forests of Western Ghats and Assam are darker, while those from the Deccan Plateau and East Coast are usually lighter.

Found in Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, southern Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, southern China, (Sichuan and Yunnan east to Fujian, Hainan, Hong Kong), Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Peninsula Malaysia and Indonesia (Java, Sumbawa, Sulawesi). The type locality given is "Indiis."

0c25c6d452947d2e356cdc599e4313a6.jpg

Occurs in a wide range of habitats, including grasslands, swamps, marshes, rocky foothills, woodlands, "open" jungle and river valleys. They depend on a permanent source of water.[10] Sometimes they can be found in abandoned mammal burrows, hollow trees, dense water reeds and mangrove thickets.

c9fbdb4ca80ba9c397ccb124f65ebd6c.jpg

Lethargic and slow moving even in its native habitat, they exhibit little timidity and rarely try to escape even when attacked. Locomotion is usually rectilinear, with the body moving in a straight line. They are very good swimmers and are quite at home in water. They can be wholly submerged in water for many minutes if necessary, but usually prefer to remain near the bank.

Ruddy Shelduck (Surkhab)

a1aa095e79e61c645028e0506e331bc2.jpg

The Ruddy Shelduck, Tadorna ferruginea, is a member of the duck, goose and swan family Anatidae. It is in the shelduck subfamily Tadorninae. In India it is known as the Brahminy Duck.

There are very small resident populations of this species in north west Africa and Ethiopia, but the main breeding area of this species is from south east Europe across central Asia to southeast China. These birds are mostly migratory, wintering in southern Asia.

8bb6fd2b2f533ae0f08da0ae87b3ac23.jpg

85088cc882af32803c38a290b2a0a209.jpg

Although becoming quite rare in southeast Europe and southern Spain, the Ruddy Shelduck is still common across much of its Asian range. It may be this population which gives rise to vagrants as far west as Iceland and Great Britain. However, since the European population is declining, it is likely that most occurrences in western Europe in recent decades are escapes or feral birds. Although this bird is observed in the wild from time to time in eastern North America, no evidence of a genuine vagrant has been found.

This is a bird of open country, and it will breed in burrows, tree holes or crevices distant from water, laying 6-16 creamy-white eggs, incubated for 30 days. The Ruddy Shelduck is usually found in pairs or small groups and rarely forms large flocks. However, moulting and wintering gatherings on chosen lakes or slow rivers can be very large.

3ff0281fbb53055ee292f2ede163cab5.jpg

The Ruddy Shelduck is a distinctive species, 58-70 cm long with a 110-135 cm wingspan. It has orange-brown body plumage and a paler head. The wings are white with black flight feathers. It swims well, and in flight looks heavy, more like a goose than a duck. The sexes of this striking species are similar, but the male has a black ring at the bottom of the neck in the breeding season summer, and the female often has a white face patch. The call are is a loud wild honking.

In captivity this species is generally aggressive and antisocial and is best housed in pairs unless in a very large area. Then it may mix with other species, although it will still be feisty at breeding time.

The genus name Tadorna comes from Celtic roots and means "pied waterfowl", essentially the same as the English "shelduck".[1]

In Tibet and Mongolia, Ruddy Shelduck is considered sacred by the Buddhists. It is also a sacred animal in Slavic mythology.[citation needed]
In Hindi and Urdu (India/Pakistan) it is called Surkhab.

The Ruddy Shelduck is one of the species to which the Agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA) applies.

Yes, we want to bring a few species back to the region including the tiger, elephant and rhino but the Kirthar Nation Park needs to be further developped.
Might take few more years before the animals are imported.

i contacted the wwf pakistan office, and they said that there is no project, it has been over 150 years of there extinction so habitat changed. where did u read that they are being introduced? :frown:

i contacted the wwf pakistan office, and they said that there is no project, it has been over 150 years of there extinction so habitat changed. where did u read that they are being introduced? :frown:
could you plz reply, neo. i want to know my answer quick plz!!! thanx!!:pakistan:

I got the information when I visited the Park myself. I'm not sure if the programme is being coordinated with WWF Pakistan.

wowo what the hell is this i nvere seen a snake like that even in national geagraphic channel i hope after seeing it they should stop doing doucumentries in india pakistan has more on offer as far as wild life to national geographic channel

when we talk about beautiness of the cats Snow leopard easily passes any cat around the globe even tiger,leppard,black leopard,lion and etc snow leopard is much more beauty than these dont know why national geographic ignoring it

I got the information when I visited the Park myself. I'm not sure if the programme is being coordinated with WWF Pakistan.

neighbouring india and china have elephants, so r there any wild elephants in pak at present?:china::pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom