What's new

WIKILEAKS: China using ECFA to push unification with Taiwan.

Yes, in a decade or so, it will be clear that the only entity that can guarantee Taiwan's security, is the PRC. Plus, the two economies will be so tightly interlinked by then, that any disruption would be intolerable for the RoC.

At that point... it will be much easier to sell the "One country, two systems" framework to them.

And Chinese cultural nationalism will be on the rise within Taiwan itself as well, that might actually be the strongest factor in our favour.

P.S. I agree that no blood should be spilled. They are our brothers and sisters after all.

Well and hopefully there would be enough political reforms within the PRC to make reunification more palatable.

Well and hopefully there would be enough political reforms within the PRC to make reunification more palatable.

That would be ideal of course, but not strictly neccessary.

Hong Kong after all, did not lose any civil liberties after the handover. In fact I think we gained a lot, instead of being ruled by British expats like Chris Patten, we finally get to be governed by our own fellow Hong Kong Chinese.

Under the One country multiple systems model, Taiwan wouldn't need to give up anything except the name RoC.

That would be ideal of course, but not strictly neccessary.

Hong Kong after all, did not lose any civil liberties after the handover. In fact I think we gained a lot, instead of being ruled by British expats like Chris Patten, we finally get to be governed by our own fellow Hong Kong Chinese.

Under the One country multiple systems model, Taiwan wouldn't need to give up anything, except the name RoC.

Of course Taiwan has been given even more generous political terms and self-governance terms than even HK, but political reform at home will make it smoother.

Of course Taiwan has been given even more generous political terms and self-governance terms than even HK, but political reform at home will make it smoother.
would that include having it's own military?
:angel:

would that include having it's own military?

Yep, Taiwan under the 1992 framwork proposed by Deng would be allowed to keep its own defence force and even maintain its own diplomatic relations with other countries.

by extention would that also include allowing Singapore to have a military base on Taiwan?

(ya you see where this is going... kekekekke)

all Taiwan has to do is to give up the name ROC according to the 1992 consensus.

but if the small minority of terrorists pushes too hard, it may lose the gamble and lose everything.

Until and Unless Taiwan is with US, unification is impossible. 90% Taiwanese people hate China. Taiwan is democratic country and not communist.

Until and Unless Taiwan is with US, unification is impossible. 90% Taiwanese people hate China. Taiwan is democratic country and not communist.

you mean to say it is a 1 party dominant, 1 small opposition country.

The KMT ruled Taiwan for all of history, except 8 years. The KMT is organized exactly like the CPC is, with its own internal disciplinary commission and politburo. The head of state is the head of the KMT party right now. The KMT also owns many industries in Taiwan and is one of the richest political parties in the world, quite an accomplishment for a tax collectable region of 23 million.

hasnt that been the CCPS plan for a while?
But i would wager, that it would be while before Taiwan goes broke like Greece. Even if the chinese decide to buy out Taiwan, they need Taiwan to be broke.

Economically Taiwan is apart of China, the Taiwanese president said that if he wins the next election then he will visit the mainland for the first time.

After 50 years I think maybe it is best Taiwan goes its own way, but please not the DEMOCRACY CR*P again as an argument.
B.t.w., how do you know 90% hates China. As far as I know KMT, who is in charge right now, is China orientated, so I highly doubt the numbers you state here. And if the numbers you give here are unfounded, how about the rest of your posts?

Nice little FEYENOORD hooligan you have in your avatar.

Yep, Taiwan under the 1992 framwork proposed by Deng would be allowed to keep its own defence force and even maintain its own diplomatic relations with other countries.

Are there any cultural differences between PRC and Taiwan. No offence, but Communist parties around the globe were notorious for screwing up the culture of their respective countries.

Off Topic: Can you provide me some info about the Chinese resistance during Japanese occupation, english please.

Are there any cultural differences between PRC and Taiwan. No offence, but Communist parties around the globe were notorious for screwing up the culture of their respective countries.

Off Topic: Can you provide me some info about the Chinese resistance during Japanese occupation, english please.

Mainland I'm not sure. Taiwan's local culture is actually quite predominately influenced by one particular province in China, and that is Fujian. Most people who regard themselves as local Taiwanese have their ancestors from this region.

When KMT retreated from China to Taiwan in 1948, they brought around 2 million people to Taiwan, this group of people came from different regions of China.

There were also local aboriginal culture.

I guess reading up on wiki if you want english source on japanese resistance, objectivity may not be assured.
I think to know more about the background it also pays to read into Taiwan's history from before the 19th century.

The real cultural revolution in China occurred in May 4th 1919, under the KMT. Of course, this was only among intellectuals because technology did not allow KMT to enforce this, but part of the official ideology of the KMT is anti-foreign, anti-superstition, anti-old culture, and pro-military. If the KMT was in a western country, they would be labeled as a Nazi party.

Back
Top Bottom