What's new

WIKILEAKS: China using ECFA to push unification with Taiwan.

Mainland I'm not sure. Taiwan's local culture is actually quite predominately influenced by one particular province in China, and that is Fujian. Most people who regard themselves as local Taiwanese have their ancestors from this region.

When KMT retreated from China to Taiwan in 1948, they brought around 2 million people to Taiwan, this group of people came from different regions of China.

There were also local aboriginal culture.

I guess reading up on wiki if you want english source on japanese resistance, objectivity may not be assured.
I think to know more about the background it also pays to read into Taiwan's history from before the 19th century.

I take it you can speak/understand hokkien? :D

Are there any cultural differences between PRC and Taiwan. No offence, but Communist parties around the globe were notorious for screwing up the culture of their respective countries.

Off Topic: Can you provide me some info about the Chinese resistance during Japanese occupation, english please.

Taiwan is just a normal Chinese province. here in China, every province has its own culture. BUt we also share much more common cultures than the deferences.

98% of the taiwanese are Han Chinese, which is the majority of PRC too.

Actually wasn't there news that if the Current Taiwanese president won the elections he would visit china for the first time ?

The real cultural revolution in China occurred in May 4th 1919, under the KMT. Of course, this was only among intellectuals because technology did not allow KMT to enforce this, but part of the official ideology of the KMT is anti-foreign, anti-superstition, anti-old culture, and pro-military. If the KMT was in a western country, they would be labeled as a Nazi party.

But when PRC was booming the Culture Revolution, the KMT gov in taiwan also had their own movement--Recover the Chinese Culture Movement复兴中华文化运动

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Actually wasn't there news that if the Current Taiwanese president won the elections he would visit china for the first time ?

Now, the time is sensitive. neither of the candidate says they will visit mainland.

I take it you can speak/understand hokkien? :D

Sorry I can't. My mother and all her relatives can, but my father was born son of a KMT army colonel that was transferred to Taiwan with his family in 1945.

Both my grandpa and my pa married late, and neither my pa nor me was the firstborn. So if I go back to china today, some 30+ year olds might have to call a brat in his twenties uncle :lol:

But when PRC was booming the Culture Revolution, the KMT gov in taiwan also had their own movement--Recover the Chinese Culture Movement复兴中华文化运动

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Now, the time is sensitive. neither of the candidate says they will visit mainland.

Yes, the KMT had the movement in response to the cultural revolution. It was very smart of them to do so at the time.

KMT is a master of inter party politics, but whether they would ever dare compete in elections with the CPC is a question. The offer of letting them compete in a free election with CPC was extended in 1945 and Chiang Kai Shek refused, instead wanted to militarily wipe CPC out.

Actually, today, both CPC and KMT dont dare compete in free election against each other, because both fear they will lose it all if the other side wins.

Back
Top Bottom