What's new

Why This ‘Astra’ Is More Than Just Another Weapon For India

Hence ladakh will be part of India and this is just another proof that India is supa powa since 2012.

India will be inducting hundreds of Astra mark 1 and 2 and a fraction of the cost of Russian israeli and French bvrs .

the performance
smokeless engines
electronics anti jamming

are superior to current bvrs bar meteore

but the biggest advantage outside of cost it fits all the fighters and is indian homemade
Every thing India gets is a game “changer” until Pakistan’s 50 year old technology forces them to “change” their dhotis.

July 30, 2019, so you quoting a 2-year-old article to troll the latest development.

When you make as large a missile purchase as 1000 AA missiles (which is about the size of Pakistan’s SD-10 and AIM-120 stockpiles combined), it is an acquisition that will last at least a decade. To the best of my knowledge the deliveries for the newer R-27s haven’t even started yet. This will eat deeply into other missile inventory in the IAF because unless there is a significant hike in military spending, it is not economical to simultaneously maintain large stockpiles of several variants of missiles that essentially does the same thing. The last time I checked, Astra is supposed to be compatible with the Su-30MKI, which forms the backbone of the IAF. The other aircraft capable of carrying the missile, the LCA Tejas MK1, has entered service without integrating BVR capabilities. So until that issue is resolved, the primary recipient of the Astra will remain the MKI. This implies that any large acquisition of R-27/R-77 will eat into the future Astra inventory, which doesn’t bode well for IAF‘s confidence in the missile.

When you make as large a missile purchase as 1000 AA missiles (which is about the size of Pakistan’s SD-10 and AIM-120 stockpiles combined), it is an acquisition that will last at least a decade. To the best of my knowledge the deliveries for the newer R-27s haven’t even started yet. This will eat deeply into other missile inventory in the IAF because unless there is a significant hike in military spending, it is not economical to simultaneously maintain large stockpiles of several variants of missiles that essentially does the same thing. The last time I checked, Astra is supposed to be compatible with the Su-30MKI, which forms the backbone of the IAF. The other aircraft capable of carrying the missile, the LCA Tejas MK1, has entered service without integrating BVR capabilities. So until that issue is resolved, the primary recipient of the Astra will remain the MKI. This implies that any large acquisition of R-27/R-77 will eat into the future Astra inventory, which doesn’t bode well for IAF‘s confidence in the missile.

1000 was,both latest variants,of r27 and r77 .

also 400nof the 1000 where,r74 a high offset wvr missle.
Only 300 are,r27
only 300 r77
Astra orders are 50 then 248 more recently...

so nos are equal.

When were those bought? And when was Astra operational cleared? Astra is currently operational with IAF.

The deal was signed in 2019, it doesn’t mean that all the missiles have been delivered. :stop:Deliveries will happen throughout This decade and to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t started yet. I’d be happy to be proven correct if there is additional information.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom