What's new

Why This ‘Astra’ Is More Than Just Another Weapon For India

Why This ‘Astra’ Is More Than Just Another Weapon For India .... ?

VL-ASTRA
Range: 40-50 km (Better than CAMM-ER)
User: For Indian navy

ASTRA-MK1-VS-VLSRSAM.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Erag3ooXUAI7MqW.jpg

Mass production of ku-Band Active Seeker for Astra, VL-Astra, Akash 1S and QRSAM

RCI-1.jpg

Wrong. PL-15 is not that much bigger than an SD-10, and in terms of flight characteristics and kinematics, it'll fly a lot like SD-10 and AMRAAM. The major innovations that add to its lethality and effective range are the dual-pulse motor, and the AESA seeker and datalink. It will be the prime AAM for PLAAF 5th gen platforms for years to come.
I doubt that dimension of PL10 and PL15 are same..

If the online information is correct then, it has a length of 4 meters (20 cm more than AIM 120D) and diameter of 20 cm (2.3cm more than AIM120D). The volume packed inside PL15 wont be that high when compared to 120D.

So unless china has developed a new kind of fuel which has a very high calorific value and longer duration of motor burnout, about 25 to 30% increase in range is not possible in sustained kinematic performed.

I though this might be a air breather, but online pictures may not suggest same. Also the biggest give away for not being an air breather is that it has dual pulse motor.. So, for me this is a 150km kind of missile, but its still a real threat to adversaries..

Indians should first test this missile against slow moving drones since despite repeated sightings the Indian army seems incompetent to shoot them down.

They have been testing since 2012.
The indian missle technology is second to none bar usa .
We have been building rockets for space programmes,and ballistic missles sub launched missles for decades ..
Astra is start if huge nos of stand off weapons under development for our military.
Astra Bvr is big improvement on what we had previously
And it's indian

They have been testing since 2012.
The indian missle technology is second to none bar usa .
We have been building rockets for space programmes,and ballistic missles sub launched missles for decades ..
Astra is start if huge nos of stand off weapons under development for our military.
Astra Bvr is big improvement on what we had previously
And it's indian
Oh off course, every time India puts a nut on a bolt, it's either breaking news or it's second to none.
And kid, you are harping all this on a Pakistani forum.....since as an Indian you don't have a voice anywhere except those echo chambers. Lol.

It is quite possible that with a heavy handed help from the french, brits, israelis and americans, the indians may just have come up with a credible bvr missile. But then again, it remains to be seen whether this is true or not.

I doubt that dimension of PL10 and PL15 are same..

If the online information is correct then, it has a length of 4 meters (20 cm more than AIM 120D) and diameter of 20 cm (2.3cm more than AIM120D). The volume packed inside PL15 wont be that high when compared to 120D.

So unless china has developed a new kind of fuel which has a very high calorific value and longer duration of motor burnout, about 25 to 30% increase in range is not possible in sustained kinematic performed.

I though this might be a air breather, but online pictures may not suggest same. Also the biggest give away for not being an air breather is that it has dual pulse motor.. So, for me this is a 150km kind of missile, but its still a real threat to adversaries..

The length is only slightly more than the SD-10 (it's PL-12 not PL-10), and the diameter is identical. Remember, this thing is meant to fit into the internal bays of J-20 and FC-31. The US is doing something similar with the JATM, big increase in range. And while some are speculating that it will be a much larger 'outsized' missile, I think that's highly improbable. AMRAAM delivery to the USAF cut-off is 2026, after that it will be JATM deliveries for all platforms including the F-35.

On the range and propulsion, I don't read too much into the range quotes. They are meaningless without an equivalence of launch parameters and flight path. Take an AAM's quoted range at x km. What's the altitude that it's launched at? If the missile is a Meteor like ramjet it's optimal launch altitude will be completely different and much lower than say an AMRAAM which is best launched at high altitude. Initial velocity for both can be maximised, but what was it to reach the quoted x km range, M1.4? Then was that max range achieved by lofting like is done with AMRAAM like rockets? What's the AAM's AoA while it climbs? It may sound arbitrary but it absolutely is not. And what happens at that max range, is the object completely out of energy, or does it no longer have enough energy to close the deal vs an evading aircraft?

And even factoring for all of this you have to consider different flight paths. An AMRAAM will happily loft well into high altitudes and maintain energy better in thin air, and it will burn like a rocket until it runs out of fuel and then cruise until it runs out of energy. Whereas the Meteor will prefer thicker air, the ramjet will lose efficiency at higher altitudes. Instead Meteor's throttleable, so that gives it other options. And nowhere does anybody claim that PL-15 is an airbreather, it's clearly a rocket motor with no visible intake. I've seen some theoretical flight models for AMRAAMs, they continue lofting well after reaching max velocity, from then on it's no thrust and all drag. PL-15 would do the same but keep some fuel left over for a final push.

What should concern you isn't whether x km arbitrary max range makes sense. Instead just observe the response of the USAF, the push for the JATM, and how the Chinese are viewing this missile.

Last edited:
Oh off course, every time India puts a nut on a bolt, it's either breaking news or it's second to none.
And kid, you are harping all this on a Pakistani forum.....since as an Indian you don't have a voice anywhere except those echo chambers. Lol.

buddy is,a,defense forum.
it's,in indian defense,section
And Astra,on mki or tejas will most likely be firing on Pakistani or plaaf planes.

so it's,relevant

harping on has what I call 10 years,of when are the j10s coming ... or when we getting j31 . that's what would be described at hearsay wishful thinking nonsense

pl15 is a,chinease,bvr .. it's not Pakistani
second it's,200km range is advertised by China media has max range for slow moving large tankers and awacs not.fighters

something every pakistan simply ignorantly ignores ....

Astra one of the first of family 3 bvrs
Astra 2 is 160km range being tested later this year
Astra 3 is a,future 300km bvr to equip Amca and future fighters.later this,decade

the precedent the knowledge the capability has official started and inducted and proven

that can't change now
Hey are you the same one as mave intel?

Well congratulations on making your own bvr missile. However it isn't superior to all a2a missiles in the region. Astra MK1 is just a copy of the aim 120c5 and has similar range, astra mk2 is that even inducted yet?

The pl15 still has the greater range out of all the missiles in the region
he knows da wae

Back
Top Bottom