What's new

Why South Asians Are More Likely To Get Diabetes Than Europeans

Wheat rice are high carb foods. Eat lentils instead. They also have carbs but way better for health. Similarly all sweet things are generally carbs or carbohydrate rich foods. These foods produce fats in body, not the oily things.

Sure, I eat lentils regularly but don't South Asians eat wheat everyday ? :)

The problem is we were designed for pro-creation not longevity. Technically anybody over probably the age of 35 is living on unproven evolution.

The short lifespan was mostly a function of predators and untreated diseases and injuries. The machinery does eventually break down but we are learning tricks to make it usable longer than its original use-by date.

Look no further than desi food.

Ghee, oil, masala, spices and cook it for hours until no useful nutrients can survive.

No wonder our import bill of Palm oil and gas is through the roof.

With regards to genetics, that plays a part as well. We’ve been designed through evolution to survive years of famine. In order to survive, we develop fat storage mechanisms (that’s why desis develop fat in their tummy before anything else).

I think we should all forego eating any meat and instead get our protein from egg. But fish can be brought for cats. Egg has good protein. I once was underweight and then I started eating two egg parathas a day ( the remaining two meals being normal ) and it was I think in slightly more than two months that my weight increased by around 25 kgs. Egg is tasty too. Egg good ! There is an old campaign in India whose slogan is "Sunday ho ya Monday, roz khao ande".

I tried giving up meat but I love it too much.

But if we are missing the texture of meat then we now have meat burgers and so on.

LOL. One thing I now hate is having to make sure any readymade meal I buy from the supermarket is real meat, not plant-based meat substitute. The packaging looks very similar. You have to read the packaging carefully to make sure you don't pick up the fake stuff. :)

You guys are missing a critical element.

Stress.

A Pakistani guy comes home from a hard day’s work only to listen to saas bahu fights. Tu tu mae mae ke ch******. No peace whatsoever for a Pakistani guy. They die young. 🤣

Just surprised they don’t get diabetes in their teens and die in their 20s. Garbage food, work issues, family stress. Sturdy bunch.

That's the reason why diabetes is a big problem here.

I think there is also genetics at play here. South Asians seem to prone to heart disease too. Eskimos eat so much fat as do Europeans yet they don't seem to have too much of diabetes and heart disease.

I tried giving up meat but I love it too much.

Understandable, ha ha.

LOL. One thing I now hate is having to make sure any readymade meal I buy from the supermarket is real meat, not plant-based meat substitute. The packaging looks very similar. You have to read the packaging carefully to make sure you don't pick up the fake stuff. :)

Firstly, thanks for quoting my post because I had wanted to say "plant-based burgers" but mistyped. Have your experienced plant-based meat ?

Are you sure this is genetics or more due to diet and exercise levels?

I recently heard of a Pakistan guy in his lates 30s who died of a heart attack. Cannot ever recall this happening to a BD'shi at such a young age.

Maybe it is due to the amount of red meat that Pakistanis consume?
My guess is Excessive use of oil in cooking, and sedentary life style. Mainly fried stuff and excessive cooking oil is the culprit.

I think there is also genetics at play here. South Asians seem to prone to heart disease too. Eskimos eat so much fat as do Europeans yet they don't seem to have too much of diabetes and heart disease.

Understandable, ha ha.

Firstly, thanks for quoting my post because I had wanted to say "plant-based burgers" but mistyped. Have your experienced plant-based meat ?
Natural fats are not so bad, it is the cooking oil used excessively and fried foods, not enough proteins during growing years.

Last edited:

Understandable, ha ha.

Fats are not bad, carbs are. Fats don't make fat, carbs do. Asians in general eat too much carbs, and hence our problems.
That's the reason why elephants are long gone in Europe, while they are still roaming in Africa and Asia.
Almost all black brown skin eats a lot of carbs.

What do you mean ?
Eating habits. Europeans didn't have choice of grains. They ate berries, fruits, dairy and meat. Meanwhile Europeans hunted down every moving thing, including fellow humans. That's the reason why many human species vanished from euro Asian regions. Basically a long history and environmental factors.

Last edited:
Hate the Brits as much as you want but they developed the largest canal network in Punjab revolutionising food production in the region. If you actually look at the list of famines that struck South Asia during the colonial era, none of them took place in Pakistan (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_famines_in_India_during_British_rule, NOTE: only the eastern edges of Indian Punjab have been affected by famines including parts which aren't even Punjab proper like Delhi).

Of course the British did not develop the canal network out of charity. They probably wanted a steady source of food supply along the Raj's most volatile border where a large proportion of their military was stationed. Nevertheless the famine theory does not hold up here as just a cursory read on the canal colonies and famines geographic locations within South Asia shows.

Mixed results.

There is Lord of the Fries in Sydney and I didn't realize their burgers are non-meat until someone told me. They were not bad but, to be fair, I wasn't expecting a fast food burger to be tops anyway.

I also tried Dominos plant-based meat pizzas and didn't like it. My friend loved it though.

That's the reason why elephants are long gone in Europe, while they are still roaming in Africa and Asia.
Almost all black brown skin eats a lot of carbs.

Speaking of high diabetes....

Diabetes by race/ethnicity​

The rates of diagnosed diabetes in adults by race/ethnic background are:
  • 14.5% of American Indians/Alaskan Natives
  • 12.1% of non-Hispanic blacks
  • 11.8% of Hispanics
  • 9.5% of Asian Americans
  • 7.4% of non-Hispanic whites

The breakdown among Asian Americans:
  • 5.6% of Chinese
  • 10.4% of Filipinos
  • 12.6% of Asian Indians