What's new

Why Pakistan unable to develop its own Air defence System

How can you defend against drone armies? Swarms of killer drones can be used by enemy to get lethal damage
That's what effective armored advances are for.

Neither Ukraine nor Russia is able to do effective armored advances, due to them both having extremely effective anti-armor forces, but neither of their armored forces having good hard kill active protection systems (on a sufficient number of tanks).

The only reason why something as slow as drone swarms matter at all is due to the fighting being a near stalemate.

Last edited:
Today we are building missiles like rad shaheen harbah we have tech why can't we build our own integrated air defense system India turkey Korea Iran all developing on their own Air defence Systems
Well Iran doesn't have access to buy fighter jets, there are rumors that might receive SU-35 and only God knows when .. even for AD Russian delayed a decade to provide us with S300, therefore Iranian story is mostly about survival.
In nutshell Iran doctrine is this "No one would come to your aid in hours of need so stand on your own feet" ... it is what we learned with our flesh and blood. for example former Iranian FM once said "We went begging one country after another to get one Scud Missile so maybe maybe Saddam would stop pounding our cites by missiles" and now we have HGV.

The same for ADs, everything was provided for Saddam like Mig-25 , Super Etendard and Mirages , and what we had was incapable to deter them so we worked on a HQ-2 radar which is the most important part of an AD system ... and now we have no limits ...

Pakistan has HQ9 which has interception altitude of 50km (PAC 3 at 25km). But it lacks the speed to counter high speed missiles like scud for example. Pakistan currently has ability to shoot cruise missiles in range of 100km only. But, I believe pakistan has something that it has kept secret. As I always believe Pakistan has publicly acknowledged the HQ9 only after rumors start spreading.

The HQ-9/P has an engagement range against cruise missiles and aircraft in excess of 100 km with a high “single shot kill probability”, according to ISPR. However, this range is actually thought to be only against aircraft, and the radar cross section required to achieve this range is unknown. Engagement ranges against cruise missiles and similar targets are thought to be much shorter, around 25 km.

This is quote from article and saying of ISPR that it catches cruise missile at 100km. This is debatable as usually HQ9 is claimed to target cruise missile at half this range until or unless it is HQ9B variant. Which is good and we have 4 to 6 batteries and in china usually its 40 vehicles with 160 plus missiles for a single battery.

But, then.

1668488755060.png

This is PAC 3 patriot. So I guess the HQ9 is pretty good in current Pakistan scenario. I am fine if not fully as David sling is what makes a real AD system.

In my opinion Pakistan instead should focus/invest on missile launched through fighter jets with good range to target cruise missile after AWACS or Ground powerful radar detects it. Other than that Pakistan can also used AWACS like plane modify them to launch missiles to target High altitude Ballistic missiles as fighter jets might not carry bigger AD missiles.
Why I am saying this is due to the reason the performance of Patriot in Saudi Arabia after Yemen missiles targeted Saudi land. Plus, S400 performance.

Last edited:
Today we are building missiles like rad shaheen harbah we have tech why can't we build our own integrated air defense system India turkey Korea Iran all developing on their own Air defence Systems

Our defence industry is overhyped. That's why many of its products are bought by the armed forces or exported.

The problem in the industry is that firstly there is too much government regulation - meaning its very hard for new people to enter the market. I read on twitter you need approval from a 14 man committee to import a 3D printer. In such environment how can any industry flourish.

Secondly a lot of the state owned companies have retired military men at the top who are making decisions they are not qualified to make. They are not led by people who have industry experience or expertise.

Our defence industry is overhyped. That's why many of its products are bought by the armed forces or exported.

The problem in the industry is that firstly there is too much government regulation - meaning its very hard for new people to enter the market. I read on twitter you need approval from a 14 man committee to import a 3D printer. In such environment how can any industry flourish.

Secondly a lot of the state owned companies have retired military men at the top who are making decisions they are not qualified to make. They are not led by people who have industry experience or expertise.
Totally agreed with you I don't like too retired military man to be posted again is a bad idea

The most high profile kills in this war were made by Ukrainian fighter AC and Manpads or other shorter range AD. Soviet era AD are routinely jammed, fooled by decoys, or evaded by flying low (which is way the Manpads are very useful) in numerous conflicts including the current one. Even expensive top shelve GCC AD equipment can not shoot down Iranian/Houthi drones. Anti-AC-Artillery is more useful against drones then long range Sams.
Manpads are becoming more effective in Ukraine by using anti-tank sensor packages along with the missiles. Operators can see twice as far at night and three times as far during the day.

These same sensor packages could probably be coupled with EW systems to target small cheaper drones to break the signal link with their operators or the gps signals they are using to get to their targets. These sensors could also be coupled with remote multi-gun systems to try to potentially shoot down the drones in another affordable manner.

A lot comes down to better sensors, keeping systems cheap so you can afford a lot of them, and using them to enhance existing system and new cutting edge systems like EW.

Last edited:
Too much budget is waisted on old and outdated stuff. Majority of budget should be spend on Air defense including high, medium and low range air defense, Drones, automation, IT security and Ai.
Time has passed for Windows XP and Microsoft excel spreadsheet. Pakistan army can’t even build simple Database to track of logistics, what can you expect from them.

Army doesn't want our local PHD's to build just because they want to import and get commission

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom