What's new

Why Pakistan needs more provinces

Karachi should definitely be made into a self-governing state, with a mayor sort of person at the helm, elected of course.

In my opinion new province should be like this,

1 Kalash(Chitral & purchase Budhakshan from Afghanistan to make it) Chitral
2 Gilgit & Baltistan Capital: Gilgit
3 Khyber(Northern FATA) Capital: Khyber
4 Waziristan(North & South) Capital: Wana
5 Khyber Pukhtunkhwa Capital: Peshawar
6 Hazara Capital: Abbottabad
7 Azad Kashmir Capital: Muzzaffarabad
8 Potohar(North Western Punjab) Capital: RawalPindi
9 Punjab(North Eastern & Upper Central Punjab) Capital: Faisalabad
10 Seraikistan(South Punjab) Capital: Multan
11 Pakland(Karachi, Hyderabad & Jamshoro) Capital: Jamshoro
12 Sindh(exclude Karachi, Hyderabad & Jamshoro) Capital: Sukkur
13 Makran(Chaghai & Southern Balochistan) Capital: Gawadar
14 North Balochistan Capital: Quetta
15 South Balochistan Capital: Kalat
16 Islamabad Capital Territory.

What say:azn:

In my opinion new province should be like this,

1 Kalash(Chitral & purchase Budhakshan from Afghanistan to make it) Chitral
2 Gilgit & Baltistan Capital: Gilgit
3 Khyber(Northern FATA) Capital: Khyber
4 Waziristan(North & South) Capital: Wana
5 Khyber Pukhtunkhwa Capital: Peshawar
6 Hazara Capital: Abbottabad
15 South Balochistan Capital: Kalat

What say:azn:

4 Waziristan(North & South) Capital: Wana - Doesn't make sense to make the Waziristan as separate province

6 Hazara Capital: Abbottabad - Everyone is talking about Hazara province. Did anyone even looked at the Pakistan Map? There are only 4 smaller districts (Abbottabad, Battagram, Haripur, Mansehra and Kohistan) with only 3 NA seats and 8-11 provincial seats.

-It makes more sense to have Hazara Potahar as a province with following districts...

Abbottabad
Battagram
Haripur
Mansehra
Kohistan
Attock
Rawalpindi
Jhelum
Chakwal
Mianwali.

Punjab should be divided into 2-3 provinces (excluding Potahar), North, centeral and South or east, west and Multan as the SouthPunjab, these can be further divided when there is a need for it.

Karachi and Hyderabad should be in separate provinces. Sindh should be administratively split into 3 provinces., Karachi, Hyderabad and Sukkur should be the capital of these 3 provinces. How you split these will require some thinking.
One option is to combine Karachi, Thatta, Jamshoro and Lesbela districts into one province.

15 South Balochistan Capital: Kalat -North Balochistan should be named Bolan province and South Balochistan should be named Khuzdar province.

Punjab -> Split it into 3 Provinces
a) South Punjab
b) Central Punjab
c) North Punjab

Sindh -> Split it into Two Provinces
a) East Sindh
b) West Sindh

Balouchistan split it into 2 Provinces
a) East Baouchistan
b) West Balouchitsn

KPK keep it as it is

Kashmire as it is

Afghanistan (Take over it and split it into 2 parts) , bring in Pakistanis trapped in Bangladesh and populate them in Afghanistan

And we need to rename the Provinces based on region and not ethical lines

Afternoon,

I completely agree that Pakistan should have more provinces. One should look at European countries who are progressing economically, like Germany or France, which have 16 and 18 provinces respectively. Pakistan too should have a similar number of Provinces drawn along administrative - economic lines. Each province should have two urban centres as pointed out before. Balochistan would remain largely the same.

Germany or France, which have 16 and 18

13 regions to be exact.

img_4120.png

Now,about how regions are drawn,Pakistan is totally different with different situations.

13 regions to be exact.

View attachment 357123

Now,about how regions are drawn,Pakistan is totally different with different situations.

You're forgotten about Overseas provinces, I was merely giving an over-view. It is true that the situations are drastically different. Frances provinces are predominantly from the Ancient Regime and the various dukedoms and other nobility related holdings which existed prior to the French Revolution.

However, the Regions still are economically and administratively effective. My point was to make provinces which are economically and administratively effective. You cannot have provinces which are economically effective but are administrative disasters nor easily administrated provinces which are economically unreliable. A balance must be struck, this is not the case for Pakistan. It's borders are arbitrary, stemming from the British partition which could not predict the value of these new provinces .

Then who's going to appoint more ministers and fill their pockets with more money .

For this a strong leader is required and a new constitution. A strong leader can only arise if the situation becomes dire enough. It hurts me to say this but the Pakistani people are just not that interested in the political power they wield for they have fallen in the trap of thinking, "I am but one person, what change can I bring about?", this thinking needs to be changed, if a well-educated, honourable person puts himself or herself forward for elections, we need to trow our support behind them and ensure they have the two-thirds majority to change the provinces and the constitution.

Until Pakistani's have suffered to the breaking point they will not value the blessing of good governance nor the effort required to build it. There are almost 300 political parties in Pakistan. A people this divided cannot build a strong government.

In my opinion, there needs to be a leader who can define what it means to be Pakistani, this identity was created for Indian Muslims but since then we have attempt our level-best to distance ourselves from India and have divided ourselves over religion. Basic concepts such as Hard-working, austerity, discipline, a sense of duty, sincerity, a sense of justice and order can start the engine towards unifying the people behind a concept of one-Pakistan. Once we as a nation can form an identity, we can move towards instilling a sense of duty to the concept of Pakistan, this will encourage anti-corruption.

You're forgotten about Overseas provinces, I was merely giving an over-view. It is true that the situations are drastically different. Frances provinces are predominantly from the Ancient Regime and the various dukedoms and other nobility related holdings which existed prior to the French Revolution.

However, the Regions still are economically and administratively effective. My point was to make provinces which are economically and administratively effective. You cannot have provinces which are economically effective but are administrative disasters nor easily administrated provinces which are economically unreliable. A balance must be struck, this is not the case for Pakistan. It's borders are arbitrary, stemming from the British partition which could not predict the value of these new provinces .

For this a strong leader is required and a new constitution. A strong leader can only arise if the situation becomes dire enough. It hurts me to say this but the Pakistani people are just not that interested in the political power they wield for they have fallen in the trap of thinking, "I am but one person, what change can I bring about?", this thinking needs to be changed, if a well-educated, honourable person puts himself or herself forward for elections, we need to trow our support behind them and ensure they have the two-thirds majority to change the provinces and the constitution.

Until Pakistani's have suffered to the breaking point they will not value the blessing of good governance nor the effort required to build it. There are almost 300 political parties in Pakistan. A people this divided cannot build a strong government.

In my opinion, there needs to be a leader who can define what it means to be Pakistani, this identity was created for Indian Muslims but since then we have attempt our level-best to distance ourselves from India and have divided ourselves over religion. Basic concepts such as Hard-working, austerity, discipline, a sense of duty, sincerity, a sense of justice and order can start the engine towards unifying the people behind a concept of one-Pakistan. Once we as a nation can form an identity, we can move towards instilling a sense of duty to the concept of Pakistan, this will encourage anti-corruption.

Well you've very nice thoughts but I don't think we can ever have such a government that you described .
Our country moves around from bhutto to sharif them sharif to bhutto ..

Well you've very nice thoughts but I don't think we can ever have such a government that you described .
Our country moves around from bhutto to sharif them sharif to bhutto ..

It pains me to see the course of action our despicable leaders have taken.

I have the pleasure and honour to live in the UAE. It's first ruler Sheikh Zayed could have used the immense oil profits that his nation made for himself but no, he aimed to make the lives of his people, his people my friend, better. He worked day and night to build the United Arab Emirates from a patchwork of tribes and villages and miles of lonely sand and desert to the thriving metropolis it is today of immense wealth which is used for the right things.

I have had the pleasure and honour to live in the UK. It struck me that no matter what the internal conflict of the political parties of the UK, they never, ever, did anything against the overall strength, integrity and economic prowess of the nation.

And then we have us and our elected leaders. Who have used the wealth of the Indus and beauty of the Himalayas for their personal wealth and left the people to fend for themselves bring hunger, famine, disease and death upon our brothers and sisters. Who have sold our people and their lands wealth to foreign trans-national companies and allowed the drain of our brightest minds to serve in the economies of others.

All I can do is pray, learn and hope that one day someday someone comes with the vision to lead our nation. I will do more civic duty to inform others, preach to others and learn from others.

It pains me to see the course of action our despicable leaders have taken.

I have the pleasure and honour to live in the UAE. It's first ruler Sheikh Zayed could have used the immense oil profits that his nation made for himself but no, he aimed to make the lives of his people, his people my friend, better. He worked day and night to build the United Arab Emirates from a patchwork of tribes and villages and miles of lonely sand and desert to the thriving metropolis it is today of immense wealth which is used for the right things.

I have had the pleasure and honour to live in the UK. It struck me that no matter what the internal conflict of the political parties of the UK, they never, ever, did anything against the overall strength, integrity and economic prowess of the nation.

And then we have us and our elected leaders. Who have used the wealth of the Indus and beauty of the Himalayas for their personal wealth and left the people to fend for themselves bring hunger, famine, disease and death upon our brothers and sisters. Who have sold our people and their lands wealth to foreign trans-national companies and allowed the drain of our brightest minds to serve in the economies of others.

All I can do is pray, learn and hope that one day someday someone comes with the vision to lead our nation. I will do more civic duty to inform others, preach to others and learn from others.

Yes I hope too that we could also have such great sincere leaders .
Right now I see hope in imran khan , he's such blunt , honest and anti corruption . He's a gift from God .

Yes I hope too that we could also have such great sincere leaders .
Right now I see hope in imran khan , he's such blunt , honest and anti corruption . He's a gift from God .

I agree, I just hope that he wins the election with a two-thirds majority in parliament and enforces everything that he has said he will do.

13 regions to be exact.
Well, Vergennes comparing France with Pakistan is like apples and oranges. The two have entirely differant historical and ethno-social trajectories. Pakistan is a federation and is not a generic state. What many of the members here do not appreciate is Pakistan came after and the generic provinces that make it came before. Pakistan is the child of the provinces.

In 1940s British Indian Empire had lots of administrative units. Each was like a brick that had been acquired by Britain eitheir through military conquest or been brought under indirect British suzerainty. In the latter these states accepted overlorship of Britain but retained internal rule. The best analogy I can give you is imagine a powerful external force landed on the Spanish Costa Del Sol (say Chinese) in 1600s and then after subduing the Spanish and establishing capital in Madrid of their "Chinese European Empire" spread north and east. Over the next 200 years they subjugated France, Germany, Belguim, Itay, Poland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, Azerbaijhan, Syria, Lebanon. This then becomes known as the "Chinese European Empire".

Each one of these countries exists as a province of the empire being ran by Chinese officials from Madrid. Then as independance approaches the Muslim's within the empire insist that when they Chinese leave they don't want to be part of a new European Republic because and insist on having their own state. A vote is held and Turkey, Syria, Azerbaijhain, Lebanon (being Muslim dominant) opt out to go their own way and set up their own federation to be called 'Istania'.

As the Chinese European Empire is dissolved two new states take shape. The Union Of Europe Republic and the Istania Islamic Republic. The problem that surfaces soon is large numbers of Bosnian, Alabanian Muslim's are left inside the European Republic - some of them migrate to Istania and settle in Beirut where they become the dominant group in numbers and displacing the local Arabs in that city. Istania choses Ankara to be the new capital.

Istania would have four provinces - Turkey, Azerbaijan, Syria and Lebanon. As each of them had elected to join the fedration it would be very hard for the federation to de-establish what had set it up - the provinces. In addition there would be problems of ethnic friction. For example Beirut might want to be set up as another province but the Lebanones Arabs would oppose that. From their perspective they (Arabs) had voted to join Istania and even taken in Bosnian/Albanian Muslim migrants but they did not join Istania to lose their Beirut to the migrants from Bosnia in Europe. I hope by contexulaizing it you can understand the situation. There is no ethnic group 'Pakistan' but is made up of four ethnic based provinces with some migrants from India.

This is a map of British Indian Empire with the myriad of province/ethnic groups/princely states all under the suzureinty of Britain in 1909. You can see the outlay of Pakistan. The four provinces on the left side (North West) opted to federate as Pakistan in 1947 as they were Muslim dominant. Each had one dominant ethnic group, with it's own language and culture like Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Azerbaijan with common Muslim heritage. The provinces on the map are Balochistan, Sindh, Punjab and North West Frontier Province.

British_Indian_Empire_1909_Imperial_Gazetteer_of_India.jpg

How it would shape up.

Brit_IndianEmpireReligions3.jpg

British Indian Empire today

south-asia-map1.jpg

and the British era provinces today that make Pakistan. If you refer to the 1909 British Indian Empire you will see their outliers..

pakistanmap2.gif

In fact what you have is by European standards four differant countries with one (Sindh) have huge number of migrants from India in Karachi. Slicing of Karachi from Sindh would be taken as slicing Marseille from France because of it's Arab migrants. So the whole subject is very politically sensitive and roots of which go back into history.

I think the only possible thing might be to ask Punjab to dived itself into North, West and South as it is the biggest province and least liable to cause political ramifications.

Before you jump the gun on me, I think provinces in Pakistan should be created strictly for administrative purposes (based on urban centers & economic growth), not ethnic or lingual grounds.

Some facts about Pakistan: Punjab contributes about 57%, Sindh contributes about 28%, KPK contributes about 8%, Balochistan about 3%, FATA about 1%, Northern Areas about 1%, & Islamabad capital territory about 2% of Pakistan's GDP.

Karachi itself contributes about 20% of Pakistan's GDP. Lahore contributes about 12% of Pakistan's economy. The third largest city of Pakistan, Faisalabad contributes about 9% of Pakistan's GDP.

PakistanMap.gif

These are the main 10 'urban centers/cities' of Pakistan, namely: Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad/Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Hyderabad, Peshawar, Quetta, Multan, Gujranwala/Sialkot.

The three cities; Lahore, Sialkot & Gujranwala are located very close to each other. Faisalabad is located at a 'reasonable distance' from Lahore/Sialkot/Gujranwala, but still, not that far away from them either. In other words, these four cities are found in a pretty concentrated area.

Multan (in central-south Punjab) & Bahwalpur (close to the Punjab-Sindh border) is left isolated from these cities. A huge amount of resources are being spent on Lahore/Sialkot/Gujranwala, but nearly not enough on Multan & Bahwalpur, even though they are very important cities. In other words, South Punjab has been left a bit isolated from the growth of central-North Punjab. The urban centers are confined, & need to be spread out more. A new South Punjab state will help develop Multan & Bahawulpur urban centers even faster. As of now, Multan is being envisioned as a future 'Pearl City', & lots of work is being done to develop it. These efforts should only be increased, & South Punjab needs to be put in perspective.

In Sindh, the two urban centers of Karachi & Hyderabad are located at a reasonable distance, but both are in South Sindh. The urbanization of Bahawalpur in South Punjab close to North Sindh will help urbanization spread into North Sindh as well.

In Balochistan, Quetta is the biggest urban center. But it is also very volatile being close to the Afghan border. Army must make prolonged efforts to make it safe (which will eventually result in prosperous city). Gwadar must be developed & urbanized at a quicker pace so that the Baloch people can reap its benefits. Mining in Zhob is already taking place. But the distance between Quetta & Gwadar is too great, & there should be another urban center in between Quetta & Gwadar.

In my opinion, there must be at least 2-3 urban centers in each province/region, that are reasonably distanced from each other & not confined together, & do not have any safety/security concerns.

Currently:

a) Sindh has Karachi & Hyderabad

b) Punjab has Lahore & Faisalabad

c) Northern Pakistan (KPK & Northern Areas) has Islamabad-Rawalpindi/Abbottabad & Peshawar (a bit unsafe these days)

d) Balochistan has Quetta (very unsafe these days)

e) Azad Kashmir has Muzzaffarabad

Security must be enhanced in Peshawar & (especially) Quetta. Pakistan must give provincial status to South Punjab, Hazaras (maybe), & create more urban centers within the country. Great work is being done in Multan, this must be extended to Bahawalpur, Gwadar & other cities.

Yes I agreed it should be strictly on the administrative purposes only. There is a chain of managing financial and administrative mechanisms takes place after new provinces, census will also be easy task to manage, then you can easily allocate electoral constituencies. The only thing needed is a honesty and honesty only.

Last edited:
I Also have a solution instead of splitting all these provinces how about solving problems on district level.
No matter how much you split it won't work
1 corruption
2 ignorance
3 cast influence
4 ethnic problem
5 language barrier

Now if you try to sort out the problem at district level it would be much more manage able and you wont even need to create a tottaly new system

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom