What's new

Why Pakistan dont reclaim Wakhan region of Afghanistan

tore

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We hear alot of claims from afghan side where they claim 75% Pakistani terrotory.

I wounder why Pakistan has never claimed Pashtun areas of Afghanistan or specially the Wakhan corriodor of Afghanistan which the british when ruling Indian colony gave away to Afghanistan when the Sovjets were occupying Asia.

British were afraid of clash between Sovet forces and British India, therefore they gave away Wakhan corridor to Afghanistan which would connected Pakistan directly to Tadjikistan and Centra Asia.

I wounder why Pakistan never put a cliam on this area as it was given away without the will of pakistani (Indian) people. It is a Pakistani area which shoul be retunred to Pakistan so roads from pakistan are built to Tadikistan, Kyrgistan, Kazakhstan etc.

Is the area inhabited by Pashtuns though? I'm given to understand the majority there are wakhis and pamiris. We could of course still put up a claim there on the basis of these people but these ethnic groups reside in China and Tajikistan too. We will really complicate the situation there and potentially cause issues with allies if we claim the corridor on the basis of uniting the wakhi and pamiri people.

Durand Line is an international border, those on the Afghan side making claims otherwise are naive and day dreaming.

The same goes for you guys, stop day dreaming and we will do a huge favor to our masses if we develop Afghanistan or Pakistan in its current geographical state.

/Peace

By claiming Wakhan, Pakistan doesnt recognize durand line treaty. Which means pakistan has to return huge territory from chitral to Quetta in exchange for Wakhan. History of Wakhan needs to be determined, if it was not part of Jammu and kashmir state, then such claim is invalid.
Interesting to see that @tore has equated pakistanis with indian/hindostani people in brackets. (punjabis, sindhis etc i assume). If Pakistan is indeed a hindi/indic muslim country in its essence, then it gives geniune legitamacy and weight to the claim of Afghanistan over pashtun regions of Pakistan irrespective of the legalities and past agreements with British. If some one is going with this approach, it means he is considering pashtuns and balochs ethnic minorities in an indic/desi state.

By claiming Wakhan, Pakistan doesnt recognize durand line treaty. Which means pakistan has to return huge territory from chitral to Quetta in exchange for Wakhan. History of Wakhan needs to be determined, if it was not part of Jammu and kashmir state, then such claim is invalid.
Interesting to see that @tore has equated pakistanis with indian/hindostani people in brackets. (punjabis, sindhis etc i assume). If Pakistan is indeed a hindi/indic muslim country in its essence, then it gives geniune legitamacy and weight to the claim of Afghanistan over pashtun regions of Pakistan irrespective of the legalities and past agreements with British. If some one is going with this approach, it means he is considering pashtuns and balochs ethnic minorities in an indic/desi state.

Sir , I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post. When I write Pakistan (India) I mean pre-partition India/Pakistan region, british controlled India.

At that time, when british controlled Indian empire, they ceded british Indian territory illigaly to Afghanistan, if british didn’t gave away Wakhan region to Afghanistan at that time, then this area would be a part of todays Pakistan and we would had direct connection with Tadjikistan/Central Asia, bypassing Afghanistan.

I daily read in afghan newspapers that they put a claim on Pakistani areas of KP, Balochistan, Sindh and Punjab to Indus river, but despite Wakhan was a part of british India/pre partition India/Pakistan , that area would been part of todays Pakistan, therefore Pakistan should put a claim on this area togheter with waste areas of Afghanistan where Pashtun people live, so they are reunited in Pakistan.

Wakhan region was a part of Kashmir area, before it was ceded to Afghanistan illigaly.

Last edited:

No I disagree. He was making claim on strength of the ancestor of the Pakistani state which was not Indic ( your allowing yourself to be influenced by the rubbish Bharati's give off every day ) but a British repeat British colony as below:-

Flag_Map_of_British_Raj_%28India%29.png

Any historical claims Pakistan has are legacy of the British Empire. Making referance to the British Empire is not alluding to any "desi" as it included vast number of differant ethnic groups from the Pashtuns on the west to Burmese on the east.

However Samundri I accept your plaint. Pakistan should be regarded as a country of it's federating units.1947 and 2NT is dead and buried. It should NOT be regarded as refuge of Indian Muslims because the moment you do that your saying this land is not for the Indo Iranic speakers. If Pashtun's are required to divorce themselves from Afghans then it is also entirely fair that others in Pakistan divorce themselves from India as well.

@tore Asides from the fact that Wakhan is mostly Pamiri/Wakhi/Tajiks we have to respect that territory as Afghanistan's. We need to stabilize not create even more chaos. That is the last thing we need or we will have another 100 years of trouble.

Sir , I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post. When I write Pakistan (India) I mean pre-partition India/Pakistan region, british controlled India.

At that time, when british controlled Indian empire, they ceded british Indian territory illigaly to Afghanistan, if british didn’t gave away Wakhan region to Afghanistan at that time, then this area would be a part of todays Pakistan and we would had direct connection with Tadjikistan/Central Asia, bypassing Afghanistan.

I daily read in afghan newspapers that they put a claim on Pakistani areas of KP, Balochistan, Sindh and Punjab to Indus river, but despite Wakhan was a part of british India/pre partition India/Pakistan , that area would been part of todays Pakistan, therefore Pakistan should put a claim on this area togheter with waste areas of Afghanistan where Pashtun people live, so they are reunited in Pakistan.

Wakhan region was a part of Kashmir area, before it was ceded to Afghanistan illigaly.

Can you please post links to those Afghan newspapers that daily post about Afghans having rights over Pakistani territories ?

Thank you.

I did some searching, Wakhan has never remained part of Jammu and Kashmir state. This part of Pamir as well as rest of Badakhsan including Roshan , Shignan and some other principalities of todays Tajikistan, were autonomous principalities under Durrani Empire which were re-conquered and brought under Kabul rule by Amir Abdul Rehman in 1883. Russia protested against it, British asked Amir Abdul Rehman to withdraw its Afghan garrisons from beyond Pandj river region, boundaries of Pamir were debated by British and Russia for a decade until Anglo-Russia pact of 1895 was concluded in which Badakhshan including Wakhan was divided between Russia and Afghanistan.

Last edited:
That leaves us with a very interesting proposition.

Since we are hosting 4-5 million Afghans and they don't wanna leave Pakistan and Afghanistan does not want to have them, why don't they give us that area and we send these refugees there - in their own country.

We provide them with security once they are settled there. Those northern clowns sitting in the area have no jurisdiction over that area.

Win-win for every one.

I did some searching, Wakhan has never remained part of Jammu and Kashmir state. This part of Pamir as well as rest of Badakhsan including Roshan , Shignan and some other principalities of todays Tajikistan, were autonomous principalities under Durrani Empire which were re-conquered and brought under Kabul rule by Amir Abdul Rehman in 1883. Russia protested against it, British asked Amir Abdul Rehman to withdraw its Afghan garrisons from beyond Pandj river region, boundaries of Pamir were debated by British and Russia for a decade until Anglo-Russia pact of 1895 was concluded in which Badakhshan including Wakhan was divided between Russia and Afghanistan.

Could you please share your source of information, because according to our history books over World History, in chapter about "British colonial India" its written very clear that Wakhan/Badshakhan region was ceded to Afghanistan to have Afghanistan as a bufferstate between "British colonial India" & Sovjetunion.

Lets invoke the history under which an arbitration of border line between Afg and the British creation Pak can be carried out. Whilst merely Samandri's post of basic facts renders any Pakistani claim over wakhan an unlikely proposition, if ones to see through the true light of history not a daal pot then the very fake British creation pakiland should be dismantled half of which belonged to its mother india and half to ariana Afghanistan. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom