What's new

Why only F-16s for the PAF?

why we are not going for mirage 2000 ,which have the same family and our pilots have alot experience on these jets ,if any one have the knowledge ,please answer
I never asked but I also have same question. Since mirage assembly line will close in France, pakistan should negotiate liscence production.
I think there are lot of similar questions waiting IAF's MMRCA deal. I think perhaps PAF is also waiting for the same reasons.
I have no information, I just guessed.

please stick to the topic ,
' Why only F-16s for the PAF? '
as far as European fighter jets are concerned ,due to political reasons its nearly beyond our range ,its not easy to get access to euro fighter , Saab grippen , Rafael, etc but on the other hand India has an open field in this matter ,in her fleet have Russian n European fighter jets .now they are aiming to f 16s also .so for Pakistan last hope is china .and other is f16s .but one thing which i cant understand is that when Pakistan has alot of old version mirages ,and Pakistan also going to upgrade them but why we are not going for mirage 2000 ,which have the same family and our pilots have alot experience on these jets ,if any one have the knowledge ,please answer

Pak has been looking at the Gripen and the French aircraft as well as the Euro-fighter they eliminated the French aircraft due to the exorbitant cost.
F-16's were chosen because they were a aircraft which would a)require very little induction b)Some of which would be free under EDA (24 of the F-16's are coming for free)

So in conclusion none of the fighters you mentioned were not looked at. Factors such as cost (Rafale and Mirage2000 and Eurofighter) Political (Gripen) came into play.

Actually, I wanted to know why not mirage 2000 negotiated instead of J-10. I don't think they should be expensive when manufactured in Pakistan.
Unit cost on wiki is 23MUSD

PAF has stock of F-16 armaments, can be one reason.
AIM-120 C, Paython5 and sniperpod are the best in there class.
PAF also plan to interface same weapons with JF-17, at least AMRAAM.

Actually, I wanted to know why not mirage 2000 negotiated instead of J-10. I don't think they should be expensive when manufactured in Pakistan.

Cost cost cost......the French are asking a lot of money for them and are also pushing hard for the Rafale instead. Even India went for second hand Mirage 2000's rather than pay the price France was demanding.

We looked into the Mirage in the nineties, I believe the unit costs were too high, much higher than claimed by wiki. Even the Qarari Mirage 2000-5's deal was blown off due high maintenance costs.

Advantage of the J-10/FC-20 is being a later design, upgradeable to a lethal gen 4.5 fighter and its coming with full ToT without political risks. Production line is expected to remain open for atleast two deacdes from now.

Seriously, IAF has as much experience with the Mirage-2000 as we have with the F-16's, what value would the Mirage add to PAF when all its tactics are known and tested by the rival except for providing better understanding of the platform?

It all comes down to cost. Why buy a plane when you have already evaluated it? :D

JF-17 is comparable to the Migs, and the J-10 to the Sukhoi.
F-16 are our backbone striker, easily integrated, with minimal expense, into our fleet.
We can develop and manufacture the parts ourselves, the sanctions made us self reliant, simple.
Now said that, we have also developed the toss bombing technique on our F-16's to fire nukes.

Mirage 2000 have been discontinued (for new aquisitions).
Rafale were way too too pricy, and besides, the J-10, we are now joint investors, just like as in JF-17.

Back
Top Bottom