What's new

Why no Marines in Indian Armed Forces?

Tea addict

Reaction score
Country
India
Recently our government has given approval for 4 Landing Platform Docks worth rs 20000 crore
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/gove...aval-ships-worth-over-rs-20-000-crore.497139/
These LPD will pe operated by the Indian Navy and will be backbone of any amphibious assault in future, but Indian Navy doesn't have naval infantry and rely on indian army battalions for personnels and train with the Army for amphibious assault.
Why doesn't we form "Marines" as a separate branch of Indian Armed Forces ?A specialized force for operation like these?As we get more assertive day by day, in future we will need a specialized force like Marines for amphibious assaults .
Its just my opinion that we should have a specialized force.

We dont need an arm like this..Yet.
But sir we are going to build 4 LPDs and our naval infrastructure is matured enough to build many ships simultaneously...these 4 LPDs can be foundation fleet of our Marines and in a decade or so their organization structure will get matured too. So we will need them after 2 decades approximately,but if we make it now,in 2 decades its organization structure will be excellent.
Because due to nature of our coastline we were meant to defend it, and regular infantry can very well defend it by remaining on land. Marines are good for embarking and India never had the need to embark on Pakistan as there is a huge land border available for that. A simple blockade by navy does the job for India. But with these new ships coming in, we might have a marine unit in future.
Its not just for Pakistan, we can use them for various purposes like
1) power projection for small countries
2) evacuation of indian migrants from very hostile environment.
3) assisting our allies(in future) in their endeavors.

To be honest i like this as Pakistan specific too..after naval bombardment and complete air superiority, a brigade size formation behind enemy lines through amphibious assault which will assist separatists ,just like in 1971.

To be honest i like this as Pakistan specific too..after naval bombardment and complete air superiority, a brigade size formation behind enemy lines through amphibious assault which will assist separatists ,just like in 1971.

You do realize there's a difference between East Pakistan and Pakistan's Coast right?
2000 miles with no land/sea access and right at the base of the heartland, makes quite a difference to the situation.
Then there's the attitude of the populace in question.
Just asking, I'm willing to concede that this might be a product of genuine ignorance.

But sir we are going to build 4 LPDs and our naval infrastructure is matured enough to build many ships simultaneously...these 4 LPDs can be foundation fleet of our Marines and in a decade or so their organization structure will get matured too. So we will need them after 2 decades approximately,but if we make it now,in 2 decades its organization structure will be excellent.

I understand your point & the possible enthusiasm if I can use the word.

In our game of things we need foot soldiers who are multi role - Ground holding, airborne, amphibious, mechanised et all.

As things stand now, the existing infantry is multi role enough. This does not mean that at a later date we may not consider other options.

Now , a Mountain Strike Corps is a far greater priority.

Back
Top Bottom