What's new

Why live in India

post the whole thing

Brits have traditionally emigrated to destinations including Australia, Spain and the U.S.
But India is quickly becoming a hot location.
With employment levels at an all-time low in the UK, an increasing number of people are moving to Asia in a bid to capitalise on the booming economy.

article-2101679-11BF283C000005DC-838_634x590.jpg

And it seems many have never looked back since making the move.
Lindsey and Mick Gordon, both 46, sold their property in Maidstone, Kent and moved to Mumbai with their two children Hugh, 13, and Polly, 11, in 2008

A sharp contrast to their life in Britain, they now live in a five-star, luxury gated compound, have a team of personal staff including a driver and personal trainer, and earn high salaries.
Lindsey even claims to rub shoulders with Bollywood stars at the school gates.
Describing the Indian way of life, Mick - who runs a market research firm and manages a staff of 500 - said: 'The attitude here is highly optimistic because everyone sees India's time is coming.

article-2101679-11BF353D000005DC-649_634x411.jpg

Here there's a belief that the future is ours, whereas in Europe it's all about hanging on to what we've got as things aren't going to get better. It's a fundamental difference in attitude.'
And it was the difference in attitude which first prompted the Gordons to leave their home country.
Speaking about their decision to relocate to the side of the world, Lindsey said: 'We felt the country was going to the dogs and thought we'd get out while we could.
'The country's bankrupt and everyone's depressed.
'India is heading into the stratosphere, it's incredible how quickly it's changing.'
Traffic jams are a fantastic mix of new Bentleys, rickshaws, ox-carts, bicycles loaded with a thousand eggs, cows and sometimes even an elephant...
Some estimates now suggest up to 40 per cent of the white collar foreign workforce entering India each day comes from the UK.
Ameet Nivsarkar, vice-president of global trade and development at India's IT and software trade body NASSCOM, expects the trend to continue for at least the next two decades.
'It is a basic rule that people move to places where there is opportunity and with the Asian markets growing big, both in terms of value and volume, it is attracting people from far and wide,' he said.
'I would say there has been a rapid increase in the number of Britons coming and settling in India because it is easier for them to adapt in this country.
'Owing to the historical and cultural connection, a lot of the things are common in both countries and hence it's not too difficult for them to settle down here.'
However it has taken time for the Gordons to settle into their new life.
Lindsey admits at being shocked when she first arrived in Mumbai, describing the city as a mass of contradictions - with the super-wealthy and super-poor living side by side.

that is a shame. Foreigners are living in India as gods in gated expat compounds with 5 star hotel treatment and personal chauffeurs while Indians still go hungry. Anyone that advertises this as good is wrong in the head. If this happened in China, I'd call it the greatest shame.

that is a shame. Foreigners are living in India as gods in gated expat compounds with 5 star hotel treatment and personal chauffeurs while Indians still go hungry. Anyone that advertises this as good is wrong in the head. If this happened in China, I'd call it the greatest shame.

So, should foreigners be living in slums? Even Indians live in 5 star gated communities. What's that got to do with hunger of even poverty?

WORKING, not living in 5 star gated hotels with personal chauffeurs.

So where do they live? Slums?

So, should foreigners be living in slums? Even Indians live in 5 star gated communities. What's that got to do with hunger of even poverty?

So where do they live? Slums?

no, they mostly live in regular housing like everyone else, except for the executive class.

creating 5 star gated mansions for foreigners while Indians are still deprived means a gross misallocation of capital has occured.

They chose India instead of the land of dreams China...because they know the value of freedom and which country gives them this. No one wants to live in house arrest do they.

no I am not jealous at all what would make you think such a preposterous thing? If you want more British colonists living in 5 star gated hotels with Indian servants and chauffeurs just like in the British Raj days, be my guest :lol:

Most of the tourists rate India bad, why would a foreigner come and live here, unless he has to escape trouble back at home.

Some hill stations are fine and peacful, but larger India is a turn - off.

The reason is simple,warm weather,beautiful scenery etc. I have just heard about India.

Agree with tractor oh the variety of scenery from desert to snowy himalayas and then jungles and back waters of southern india.
You cant forget the islands and GOA is just amazing beaches so its all in one package. Weather is bit hot for me but hey everything is better than british unpredictable weather

Though I hate hippies here you go

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen lots of foreigners with their family here in Bangalore. I have talked to some Spanish couple in Supermarkets and Malls.

it happens in china too.. for the last decade or so.. india is where china was in say 2000

no, they mostly live in regular housing like everyone else, except for the executive class.

creating 5 star gated mansions for foreigners while Indians are still deprived means a gross misallocation of capital has occured.
no point in saying anything to a few guys like you on the forum who is ready with a stockpile of sh1t to throw. Can enver have a decent or even intelligent conversation where i can gain some knowledge. Wondering if all the guys from china are like you ..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom