What's new

Why it took 60hrs to Kill 10 Terrorists: Here is the Reason

smeaglegolum

BANNED
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from Interview of Mumbai Police Comissioner which can be found here

This event has attracted international attention, opinions and critical commentary. The most common critique is, how come 1,600 security forces consisting of policemen, the National Security Guard and the Indian Army [Images] and Navy took 60 long hours to nab only 10 terrorists?

The reason behind the long hours of operation is that the terrorist had gone to the higher levels.

Two, the security agencies were not sure of the number of hostages being held behind the terrorists' positions inside the rooms. We didn't know if there were hostages or not.

If you just enter their area and kill them the entire event would have taken just an hour. But we were not sure if there were hostages or not, how many of them were there if any. We were not aware if children, women and aged people were held as hostages or not. That prevented us from killing them quickly.

Three, if you know the architecture of the Taj Mahal and Oberoi hotels, both have atriums. Terrorists had gone to the higher locations and were controlling the assault from above. Whenever anybody tried to climb up, they were hurling hand grenades and firing from AK series rifles, so it took time. Those who criticise our response should study the event in its entirety.

The situation at VT station (CST, as it is known today) didn't last for more than 10 minutes. Our police, with whatever weapons they had, even with lathis, pushed them out of the station premises. They came out to The Time of India building, they came to the special branch (of the Mumbai police), they rushed to Cama hospital. They went to Rang Bhavan, they went to Vidhan Bhavan (the Maharashtra assembly). Ultimately, they faced an encounter at Girgaum Chowpatty. They were chased all the way there. They didn't get even a single moment.

At CST they could not hide at a higher location so our security men finished the job in 10 minutes. But, at the Taj Mahal and Oberoi hotels and at Nariman House, because they took advantage of the location and because, I repeat, one was not too sure if terrorists were with how many hostages in the rooms, one took precautions.

Look at the other fact. There were more than 500, 600 people at the Taj Mahal hotel when it was attacked, but the casualty was restricted to 32. At the Oberoi there were more than 400 people present, but the casualty is 33. We had to take care and precautions to save innocent lives. That was the only reason to take time in this operation. Our operation was not about 10 terrorists, it was all about saving lives.

Who were these ten people? Each of them was carrying AK-47 rifles. Each of them had 10 to 12 magazines of 30 rounds each. Plus, some 100 to 150 spare rounds of bullets. All of them also had one 9mm pistol with two magazines, plus they had hand grenades. We had to take care of our citizens against such explosive power.

I'm actually surprised that this was turned into a valid "question" to begin with.

Indians always had better english skills then us.

nothing else.

this article is nothing but crap

You don't expect the commissioner of Police to come and say, "sorry guys we messed it up otherwise any professional law enforcement agency could have done better", do u?????

You don't expect the commissioner of Police to come and say, "sorry guys we messed it up otherwise any professional law enforcement agency could have done better", do u?????

Yeah, even we are very angry at the way the situation was handled.:hitwall:

Why somebody forgot to mention to you about how the Commandos were ferried via bus !

60 hours with hardly trained terrorists ! These boys were not battled hardned Afghan mujhadeen era fighters mere terrorists and it was with shock & shame that we obseve that every hour Indian personnel were claiming to clear the Taj hotel and than we would again see firing. However, every time I saw a Indian official he would claim that since a terrorist can fire a AK-47 & throw gernades ... they were professional trained !! geez ... by this basis of calculation the world might be having billions fo people professionally trained in arms tactics !

I think the matter has been discussed in detail and shortcomings well documented. No point in wasting time.

Indian security agencies capabilities have been revealed.

Why couldn't a team be deployed via helicopter on top of the hotels? It was done later at the Jewish center. I made a point earlier ....... why no thermal or night vision equipment was made available to the teams????? The NSG team members in a press conference said "they were shooting in the dark and stumbling over dead bodies".
A lot of theories going around as to why it took so long finish the operation. I personally believe that it caught India completely off guard..... even with all the intel about a possible attack.
By all accounts from survivors.... none of them were used as human shields (don't hold me to this point, I might be wrong).... so 60 hours to neutralize 8 terrorists is a long time. Most of the casualties were also in the initial hours.
One more point..... why were the NSG members posing for photo ops with civilians?

Well first priority is to save lives and try to arrest them live, that's is why it takes time.

It take time to clear 1000s of room and look into every room ,

Not Personnel, only media announcing it, not Indian or military office announced pre maturely

I saw Indian officials claiming that it was over and than it re-started !

Yeah I now understand ; to save lives Indian commandoes were ferried by bus .. as by helos civilians might have got killed ! By the same theory, surely had the commandoes come walking many more could have been saved !

I think the matter has been discussed in detail and shortcomings well documented. No point in wasting time.

Indian security agencies capabilities have been revealed.

Exact on the dot.

Exact on the dot.

yep i too agree and moreover failure on every front ...take it intel or diplomatic or politics...we always wwake up late ..our fault and we will do our best to eliminate it...
PS* We shud have adopted the Israel's method since 1947.....our mistake.

Back
Top Bottom