What's new

Why isnt Pakistan's weekly holiday, friday?

let the businesses like stock exchange shipments airlines railways transport work but rest cant take off on friday like schools shops malls and then sat off for everyone sunday same as half and half less traffic on friday and sundays :)

Almost the countries we trading are offs on Sat and Sunday including banks etc, if we have Friday off it's mean we cut off from trade in a week three time and we know how our crimple economy already moving, btw there is half day off on Fridays isn't?

Thats BS! Is the entire freaking nation involved in trading with international market? Cant these corrupt p1gs in trading department work on weekend so the majority of Pakistani can get Fridays off? So what has NS governemnt achieved so far by getting weekend off ???? As if these politician p1gs are really working on Fridays or any of the week days...

Global economic operations work from Mon-Friday, Pakistan used to have Friday off, a stupidity committed by Zia in 1980s. but I remember most of the business used to be open even back then on Friday.
Do you or your dad work in Trading/economic department? Prob not, if you guys do then plez work on Fridays and let the awam enjoy fridays off....

This is news to me.

I thought all this while Fri was the weekly off.

Wonder why the Mullahs have not objected to this ?

Does this mean people miss office to attend Friday prayers ?

Almost the countries we trading are offs on Sat and Sunday including banks etc, if we have Friday off it's mean we cut off from trade in a week three time and we know how our crimple economy already moving, btw there is half day off on Fridays isn't?
Good point..
Info :
In Malaysia it is a holiday on Friday.

Sorry for being off topic, How is it there in Pakistan, 5 day working or 6 day working? (i mean only sunday off or you have saturday too)

Sorry for being off topic, How is it there in Pakistan, 5 day working or 6 day working? (i mean only sunday off or you have saturday too)

Most corporations follow 5 day week, with Saturday and Sunday off. Government offices follow 6 days week, with offices open on Saturday. Some companies require their employees to be there on Saturday, for example Banks, Law firms, Audit Firms etc.

But generally, it is two day weeked.

Looking at where the economy is headed, Pakistan should be working 8 days a week. There should be no weekly holidays. There is nothing in Islam that says that you should take friday off. Back in those days if you took a day off, you risked starving to death....

Looking at where the economy is headed, Pakistan should be working 8 days a week. There should be no weekly holidays. There is nothing in Islam that says that you should take friday off. Back in those days if you took a day off, you risked starving to death....

Don't be stupid. No one takes Friday off. Either it is a half day or just a slightly longer lunch break to allow for the jumma prayers.

In a fast changing globalized economy the Sunday is most suited

Amazing that this thread became nawaz Sharif bashing thread.

Anyway the current set up is alright. We are synchronized with most of our trading partners. I see no problem in this and will only create an unwarranted hassle in trying to create Friday a holiday.

Institutions close at about 12 in Friday and open at 3. Some banks operate till 5 30 on Friday to make up for the time lost.

Plus the economy demands that we get some work done even on Sunday. We are lagging behind and need to double time to catch up.

Q k Friday ko Half day:rofl::rofl::rofl: hota hai..... Saturday Sunday Holiday.... holiday of 2.5 Days :lol::lol::lol:

This is news to me.

I thought all this while Fri was the weekly off.

Wonder why the Mullahs have not objected to this ?

Does this mean people miss office to attend Friday prayers ?

The govt offices gets close usually on 12 noon 2 hours before the Prayer and rest of the day after 12 noon is off.... As For the Private Offices they gave 2 hours break for lunch and prayer 1 p.m to 3 p.m

NS in one of his earlier tenures decided that since his Lord and Masters weekend is on Sat & Sun, he would follow them as well.

since Pakistan is so independent and self sufficient we can afford to be cut off from the business world on sat & Sun which rest of the world celebrates as weekly holiday, but our self sufficiency can also allow us one more day (Friday) as the hard working people of Pakistan can make up for it in 4 days left to do business.

Don't be stupid. No one takes Friday off. Either it is a half day or just a slightly longer lunch break to allow for the jumma prayers.

Don't be stupid yourself, stupid.

Where did I say that friday is off ?

I said I'm against weekly holidays. I'm against short working hours. I'm against the ~200 day working year. If Pakistan wants to develop it has to work 365 days a year nonstop. Just take a look at the stupidly short banking hours. Firstly only 4 full working days, then one half day and then two off days. On full working days banking hours only from 9-5. Calculate the total number of banking hours per week in pakistan compared to foreign countries many of which have a full working week, each day almost 12 hrs. Remember every day lost is money lost. Every hour lost is money lost. And there's no way to get time back once wasted waiting for that cheque to clear or for banks to open to cash that cheque.

Well, back when Friday used to be a holiday. It used to be like Sunday. People were lazy and most stayed at home instead of going to Jummah prayers, which was the whole point of having friday off. Then Nawaz Sharif decided to make Friday a Half-day ( after 15 years, it is no longer a half-day at most places ), and Sunday a full holiday. So instead of 1 day off, you got 1.5 days off and the cherry on top was that more people started to go to friday prayers.

On an even more important note. Having Friday off is NOT ISLAMIC; The prophet did not do it and his companions did not do it either, you wont find anything in hadith and sunnah that suggests Friday or any day for that matter should be off. There is no Islamic concept of any days off. A Muslim rests when he dies.

Allah knows best.

Back
Top Bottom