What's new

Why Iran-Pakistan Gas Pipeline is Important

No, no my friend you are badly mistaken. Human nature has not changed. The reason they respected was simple. Think of 1970. Saudi's had just about exchanged their camels for cars. But they did not know how to drive them. Pakistan and Karachi for instance was the Dubai on the Arabian Sea. Camel Arabs sent their sons to Karachi for education. They had no schools, no universities and many lived in tents. Of course fo note I am talking about oily Arabs. The North African and Levant existed at another level and still do. I opened a thread some time ago about KSA before the oil. Do look.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/saudia-arabia-before-the-oil.470471/

Pakistan on the other hand looked like a sophisticated, relatively poweful country. Bhutto saw these camels but being smart knew they were drowning in new found wealth post the Arab oil embargo. He then used that opportunity by offering to teach them civilizaton. You know how to drive cars, how to fly planes, how eat in polite company. This is when Pakistan sent droves of experts to help run these oily countries. Many Arabs came to study in Karachi. Example is the ruling family of UAE who studied in Karachi and learn't to play cricket. The royal family of Jordan married a Pakistani from Karachi. Zia was a military advisor to Jordan and played crucial role in suppressing the PLO uprising against the king.

Princess Sarvath married Prince Hassan bin Talal of Jordan, in Karachi, Pakistan, on 28 August 1968. They live in one of the oldest houses in Amman and have four children:[1][8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Sarvath_al-Hassan

Soon enough Pakistani pilots were flying their jets, Pakistani bankers running their banks, running their companies, training their armies. Fact was just because billions of dollars poured out of the sand they were just camel riders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agha_Hasan_Abedi

Then as we move forward by 1980s Pakistan was stagnating. A new generation of Arabs born with silver spoons in their mouths returned from vacations and universities in America and Europe. Increasingly Pakistani labour was buildng houses, roads etc for the camels. These generation looked at Pakistanis as poor, broken workers and "miskeen". Whereas as Americans and Europeans were gods. This brought on arrogance and frowning at Pakistan. By 1990s instead of looking up at us they looked down at us. And that is where we are today. We are taken for granted because we cheapen ourselves. Look in this very forum you have Saif al Arab. I am cool with him but I often end up having tiffles with him because of his haughty attitude toward Pakistan. He will go to incredible lengths to disassociate himself from Pakistanis as if Middle East as another continent in Europe.

In summary it never was about brotherhood. It was just convergence of interests. They needed us. We needed their $$$. But some of our people mistook that for mushy stuff like brotherhood or ummah. It never was. Keep that in mind. Now they depend on USA and Western Europe which is why all roads in KSA lead to Washington. Why would they bother with struggling Pakistan when they the only superpower is a phone call to White House?

Great round up!

Also just add, most of our cream opted to go for USA..and not Middle East...

further our education standards greatly declined so the gap between highly educated private schools pupils and government educated ones declined further. Thus as the GCC economies grew in sophistication Pakistan could not provide the skilled labour in the numbers needed. Which why Indians & Philpinos filled the gap. Thus most Pakistanis labour supply was under the unskilled category

Great round up!
Thank you.

Thus as the GCC economies grew in sophistication Pakistan could not provide the skilled labour in the numbers needed. Which why Indians & Philpinos filled the gap. Thus most Pakistanis labour supply was under the unskilled category
No. I disagree. if KSA/GCC had shown preferance for Pakistan employees then as demand would have built up for skilled labour you would have seen that building up back pressure. Meaning demand for skilled labour would lead to increased investment in Pakistan to produce skilled labour. Simple supply and demand economics. I mean we are not talking about consultant cardiologist that take decade to educate, qualify and train. A good example of this demand/supply economics can be seen in how Britain brought in rules that any prospective bride/groom would be required to speak English. Boom. In Pakistan there has been a boom in colleges teaching functional English.

The reason Indian, Philipinos etc were brought in was to create competition and redunacy. That is no one country would have monopoly over labour supply. And by bringing in more into the market labour rates could be kept lower. In short Arabs did this to make sure they did not become too dependant on Pakistan and keep the pay rates low.

Meaning Arabs were driven by self interest. If it were ummah or brotherhood they would have given preferance to Pakistan. That is perfectly undestandable as long as Pakistan also applies exactly the same 'self interest' formula.

Thank you.

No. I disagree. if KSA/GCC had shown preferance for Pakistan employees then as demand would have built up for skilled labour you would have seen that building up back pressure. Meaning demand for skilled labour would lead to increased investment in Pakistan to produce skilled labour. Simple supply and demand economics. I mean we are not talking about consultant cardiologist that take decade to educate, qualify and train. A good example of this demand/supply economics can be seen in how Britain brought in rules that any prospective bride/groom would be required to speak English. Boom. In Pakistan there has been a boom in colleges teaching functional English.

The reason Indian, Philipinos etc were brought in was to create competition and redunacy. That is no one country would have monopoly over labour supply. And by bringing in more into the market labour rates could be kept lower. In short Arabs did this to make sure they did not become too dependant on Pakistan and keep the pay rates low.

Meaning Arabs were driven by self interest. If it were ummah or brotherhood they would have given preferance to Pakistan. That is perfectly undestandable as long as Pakistan also applies exactly the same 'self interest' formula.

Trust me when i say Pakistan is seriously short on skill trades people like certified plumbers, electricians, welders, paramedics etc Even Pakistan dominated companies have this issue. This is a point even chinese made in CPEC projects citing lack of skilled people.

Now finance/accounting is another issue Pakistan has plenty of skilled people in that category which is why you Pakistan in good finance posts in those countries. I have rarely seen a senior Filipina finance person in high position as an example.

Indian companies have been reducing oil imports from Iran for some time now. Stop talking big, Indians. Bloody paper tiger trying to act brave.

PTI government has announced they won't be pursuing the Iran Pakistan gas pipeline cause of the sanctions and they have already talked it out with Iran and they assured them they won't be taking the case to the International Court as they were thinking of doing before.

Can you please share the source

You have not and will not import gas or oil from Iran whatever chest thumping you do on PDF.

Isn't it amazing how some Indians talk about other nations like they were invited as special guest at the meeting, specially @Turingsage he is at all the high level meetings around the world, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to sleep in presidential suite at white house, whenever visiting USA in his personal space ship.

IP is not a viable project. Stop wasting bandwidth about it
It's not question of viability. I know of no country on earth that has one of largest oil/gas resources available next door but it is suffering from crippling energy deficit every year. Iran is 'drowning' in it. Pakistan next door is 'starving' for it. And the Iranian pipeline has tap right on the Pakistan border. Yet Pakistan is thirsty for energy.

The reason for all this is Uncle Sam won't let us have it.

images

It's not question of viability. I know of no country on earth that has one of largest oil/gas resources available next door but it is suffering from crippling energy deficit every year. Iran is 'drowning' in it. Pakistan next door is 'starving' for it. And the Iranian pipeline has tap right on the Pakistan border. Yet Pakistan is thirsty for energy.

The reason for all this is Uncle Sam won't let us have it.

images

Uncle Sam wants it to happen for your Information

I know because Americans will slap sanctions on Pakistan and any entity involved with this project faster then you can blink.

Its a double edged sword. Rather ignore bringing regional disputes Home

IP equals IPI
Your still not being explicit. Are you saying it requires India. And if so why did you just not say "it's not viable because it needs India" at the outset? And no it does not require India. Pakistan is a country of 200 million people. The gas reserves in Pakistan are dwindling and demands is growing and will grow even More. Even with LPG being imported the situation looks grim over the next few years.

Gas shortfall to equal total current supplies in two years

Khaleeq KianiFebruary 12, 2018

ISLAMABAD: With an addition of 300,000 gas consumers every year, the country’s gas shortage is estimated to touch four billion cubic feet per day (bcfd) — almost equal to current total supplies — in two years and will go beyond 6.6bcfd by 2030.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1388901

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom