What's new

Why India Can't Compete With China in Manufacturing

You don't have to keep repeating it like a broken record.
We get it, Indians like to leave their country and family and slave in the US with low wages(but high compared to India).
The Chinese prefer to stay home with their families and toil for the progress of their homeland.
Different folks, different strokes.

I am happy more Indians get to go to the US instead of infesting Singapore.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ian-it-professionals/articleshow/57981840.cms
Singapore blocks visas for Indian IT professionals

Indians please go to the US, don't come here to Singapore.
Good riddance.

We actually don’t want them in US as well. Don’t tell them to come here. How about Timbuktu? India will do well with their call centers.

India can not beat China in manufacturing because Indian factory act does not allow people to be held captive in Factories and made to work 18 hour shift...and there is law to punish factory owners under whose watch people jump off buildings and commit suicide.

Merry Christmas folks... if you would enjoy toys made by people who are being driven to suicide...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/factory-workers-making-must-christmas-11586476
lol, you want to hear my stories of my suppliers from India?````who are you lying kid, India's working condition is no better than Sub-Sahara countries````

lol, you want to hear my stories of my suppliers from India?````who are you lying kid, India's working condition is no better than Sub-Sahara countries````
Yes, indian workers get lower wage than Sub-Sahara African countries, and their working condition is like a hell.
You know what, most of their public buses have NO A/C!

Yes, indian workers get lower wage than Sub-Sahara African countries, and their working condition is like a hell.
You know what, most of their public buses have NO A/C!

Well, compared to other issues, non-A/C buses is just a non-event.

What amazes me India's lack of sustainable development; I just wonder how their politicians are able to have a clear consciousness while their growth is debt-ridden, unable to create meaningful employment while population continues to grow and churns out babies and economy is prematurely services oriented with little industrial backing.

Offer these conditions to any politicians in East Asia, and tell them it is because of their lack of vision, most would commit suicide.

Wrong, they have sub-saharan working conditions but with 'law' that seems super stringent and hardly enforced.

And you guys are even not getting it inspite your best efforts.
The best efforts of Chinese are to create world class IT companies that can rival the best of US such as Tencent, Baidu, Alibaba, JD, Xiaomi etc. What does Indian bring to the table besides those IT outsourcing firms.

List of largest Internet companies
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a list of the world's largest internet companies by revenue and market capitalization. The list is restricted to dot-com companies, defined as a company that does the majority of its business on the Internet, with annual revenues exceeding 1 billion USD. It excludes Internet service providers or other information technology companies. For a more general list of IT companies, see list of the largest information technology companies.

Contents
[1Legend

Legend[edit]
Column Explanation
Rank
Rank of company by revenue
Company Name of the company
Industry The primary industry of company
Revenue Annual revenue of company in USD billions in previous fiscal year
FY Company's current fiscal year
Employees Number of employees of company
Market cap Market capitalization as of May 2013 in USD billion
Headquarters Location of company's headquarters
Ref(s). Reference(s)
List[edit]

Rank by Revenue Company Industry Revenue ($B) FY Employees Market cap ($B) Headquarters Refs
1 Amazon E-commerce $135.99[1] 2016 541,900 $545.0 Seattle, WA, USA [2]
2 Alphabet Inc. Search $90.27 2016 61,814 $634.68 Mountain View, California, USA [3]
3 JD.com E-commerce $37.5 2016 122,105 $42.46 Beijing, China [4]
4 Facebook Social $27.64 2016 12,691 $332.1 Menlo Park, CA, USA [5]
5 Tencent Social $21.90 2016 25,517 $194.4 Shenzhen, Guangdong, China [6]
6 Alibaba E-commerce $15.69 2016 26,000 $204.8 Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China [7]
7 Priceline Group Travel $10.74[8] 2016 15,500[9] $63.83 Norwalk, CT, USA [10]
8 Baidu Search $10.16[11] 2016 41,467 $62.27 Beijing, China [12]
9 eBay E-commerce $8.98 2016 34,600 $26.98 San Jose, CA, USA [13]
10 Netflix Entertainment $8.83 2016 3,500 $41.89 Los Gatos, CA, USA [14]
11 Expedia, Inc. Travel $8.77 2016 18,000 $16.61 Bellevue, Washington, USA [15]
12 Salesforce.com Cloud computing $8.39 2017 25,187 $47.89 San Francisco, CA, USA [16]
13 Uber E-commerce $6.5[17] 2016 6,800 $68 San Francisco, CA, USA [citation needed]
14 Rakuten E-commerce $6.3 2015 12,981 $13.06 Tokyo, Japan [18]
15 ODIGEO Travel $4.9 2015 1,700 $0.22 Barcelona, Spain [19]
16 NetEase Social $3.63 2015 12,919 $22.65 Guangzhou, Guangdong, China [20]
17 B2W E-commerce $3.29 2016 2,677 $3.1 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [21]
18 Zalando E-commerce $3.28 2015 10,000 $8.7 Berlin, Germany [22]
19 Groupon E-commerce $3.1 2015 10,000 $1.96 Chicago, Illinois, USA [23]
20 Spotify Entertainment $3.1 2016 3,000 $8 Stockholm, Sweden [24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_Internet_companies

China's Tencent or Alibaba alone would blow away the Top Three Indian software companies combined in market capitalization.

Tencent market capitalization: $558 billion
Alibaba Group Holding market cap.: $472 billion

Tata Consultancy Services market cap.: $74.5 billion
Infosys market cap.: $41 billion
Wipro market cap.: $24 billion
----------

Tencent Holdings Limited (TCEHY) | Yahoo Finance

"Tencent Holdings Limited (TCEHY)
Other OTC - Other OTC Delayed Price. Currency in USD

Market Cap 557.986B"

China's Tencent or Alibaba alone would blow away the Top Three Indian software companies combined in market capitalization.

----------

Market Cap 557.986B"

If Chinese companies are in USA, their value will be multiple times bigger. The owner will be the world wealthiest persons.

Multiple times richer than the Amazon owner.

Well, compared to other issues, non-A/C buses is just a non-event.

What amazes me India's lack of sustainable development; I just wonder how their politicians are able to have a clear consciousness while their growth is debt-ridden, unable to create meaningful employment while population continues to grow and churns out babies and economy is prematurely services oriented with little industrial backing.

Offer these conditions to any politicians in East Asia, and tell them it is because of their lack of vision, most would commit suicide.

Well, the situation is different.

India is like Indonesia, but worse. It's all about the personal wealth. The more debt the government have, it means more money for the politicians. Who is caring about the small people below.

Why should they suicide if they are extremely wealthy, more than before?

getty_476314517_336108.jpg

WRITE A COMMENT

Why are manufacturing costs higher in India, compared to China? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.

Answer by Balaji Viswanathan, CEO of Invento Robotics, on Quora:

A number of my relatives run manufacturing plants in Tamil Nadu - a relatively developed state. My in-laws have also recently started importing from China [replacing their Indian suppliers] and I will tell you why costs are higher than in China.

1. Power availability: You start a plant and realize that power availability is not 24/7. In Coimbatore and other industrial places you get power for like eight hours a day. That means the machinery lies idle for sixteen hours and that wasted capacity adds to the cost.
  2. Cost of power: In India, we subsidize the power to farmers so much [farmers are a huge political base to regional parties] that the electricity companies either have to go bankrupt or charge huge amounts for industries. Electricity cost is often higher than some developed countries.
  3. Cost of labor: Getting good factory labor in places like Tamil Nadu has become extremely hard. Skilled people are already in high paying industries. The unskilled ones are hard to deal with. When we get labor from the north, they often move out without much notice [go to Diwali on vacation and never return]. Skill building is lacking. If you pay $250, the quality of labor you get in China is likely higher than what you get in India.
  4. Cost of transportation: Given the poor roads, a shipment from India's north can take a week or more to reach India's south. Sometimes it is quicker and cheaper to actually get a shipment from Shenzhen than Kolkata. Time is money and all those delays add to your cost. If I could get something in two days, I could sell it immediately rather than wait two months to sell it [add up the interest costs].
  5. Bureaucracy: Starting a new plant or to adding anything to an existing one is very costly in time and money. You need to fill out a huge number of forms and grease a lot of palms just to do something legal and useful. Shipping across states is also very delayed [this is why the industry is pushing for GST]. Unless most of the Indian laws - especially the one dealing with factories and labor - are thrown out, corruption, delays and inefficiencies will remain.
  6. Anti-large enterprises: India grew up in the mindset that large industries are bad. While many laws have changed since 1991, some of our laws, especially in textiles, are structured around small enterprises. Small businesses do not have the scale to produce cheaply and take on massive factories in China or Bangladesh. Thus, in the huge lucrative market of ready-made garments, Bangladesh quickly took the number two spot - leading to huge improvements in women development, while Indians are clinging to outdated laws favoring small, cottage industries.
If India has to compete with China, we have to completely overhaul all of the economic laws - taxes, labor, factories - we have had in place since 1947. Otherwise we will continue to be costlier than Vietnam and Bangladesh.

https://www.inc.com/quora/why-india-cant-compete-with-china-in-manufacturing.html

India can’t compete China in anything except population growth, rape capital and mindless boasting shit such as Supra Powa by 2012

If these Indians are truly the brightness and smartest then they would be asset to any country including China.

It's just that United States H1B1 system is broken and being abused.

Remember. One of the factor that The state of Qin became the strongest state was because they hired talented people from other state. Including one of their prime minister

The Jianzhuke Shu (simplified Chinese: 谏逐客书; traditional Chinese: 諫逐客書; pinyin: Jiànzhúkè Shū; literally: "Petition against the Expulsion of Guest Officers") was a petition to King Zheng of Qin, written by Li Si in 243 BC. Written in response to an order to expel all officers serving in the State of Qin who were not born in Qin, it successfully persuaded King Zheng to rescind the expulsion order, and also began Li Si's career as a leading politician in Qin.

Last edited:
If these Indians are truly the brightness and smartest then they would be asset to any country including China.

It's just that United States H1B1 system is broken and being abused.

Remember. One of the factor that The state of Qin became the strongest state was because they hired talented people from other state. Including one of their prime minister

The Jianzhuke Shu (simplified Chinese: 谏逐客书; traditional Chinese: 諫逐客書; pinyin: Jiànzhúkè Shū; literally: "Petition against the Expulsion of Guest Officers") was a petition to King Zheng of Qin, written by Li Si in 243 BC. Written in response to an order to expel all officers serving in the State of Qin who were not born in Qin, it successfully persuaded King Zheng to rescind the expulsion order, and also began Li Si's career as a leading politician in Qin.

Yes, accepting the best and the brightest (if they are willing to come) would be fine, and their numbers would not be even in thousands, unlike the US immigration program. And, I guess, there are policies in China for those extremely talented persons.

But, I am against accepting trash for the sake of filling quotas and looking attractive on paper. China should increase the vetting process, not relax it. AS China churns out unicorns with great potential and its traditional tech behemoths get more global, international talent will naturally be attracted. No need to become rushy, in my opinion.

----------

Market Cap 557.986B"

There is also Baidu:

Market Cap 88.883B

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BIDU/

Yes, accepting the best and the brightest (if they are willing to come) would be fine, and their numbers would not be even in thousands, unlike the US immigration program. And, I guess, there are policies in China for those extremely talented persons.

But, I am against accepting trash for the sake of filling quotas and looking attractive on paper. China should increase the vetting process, not relax it. AS China churns out unicorns with great potential and its traditional tech behemoths get more global, international talent will naturally be attracted. No need to become rushy, in my opinion.

There is also Baidu:

Market Cap 88.883B

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BIDU/
Must be careful to accept people who have proven time and again for their lack of give and take.
Their propensity for greed, craving for others land, not willing to compromise on Aksai Chin that is strategic for China but for India that "not a single blade of grass grow there" and should I add "not a single Indian set foot there".

China have shown their generosity in border talks, but cannot satisfy these greedy Indians who wants it all, and give and take is not in their lexicon.
Only recently I read how China generously ceded land to Pakistan to resolved their border differences but is being maligned by devious Indians as being the other way around.
Character and culture must be considered as well along with talent.
Bringing these greedy people with fiendish sexual norms in numbers into China is not wise.

China grants citizenship/greencard to foreigners but it‘s very rare and they usually are at the top of the scientific field, investors, or had made some big contributions to China. They must also have a clean record in their home nation. There are other cases but overall rare. Between 2004 and 2013, 7356 people received Chinese green card. China is starting to grant more green cards, issuing 1579 green cards in 2016 double of 2015, but they will still be very strict to only allow top talent. There will be a group of Ukrainians to receive greencards/citizenship for working in China's military industry.

Investors must invest at least $500,000 USD in western China or poorer regions, among other criteria.

China granted greencards for two Nobel laureates: Dutch chemist Bernard Feringa, who won for chemistry, will be heading a team investigating "self-healing materials" in Shanghai. Swiss scientist Kurt Wuthrich, a Nobel prize winner in chemistry is the head of a research team in Shanghai looking into human cell receptors.
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...el-and-be-running-chinese-green-card#comments

In addition to obtaining permanent residence by accumulating points, there are four ways an expatriate in Beijing can apply for a Chinese "green card".

1. Overseas Chinese employed by enterprises in the high-tech hub of Zhongguancun who have doctorate degrees or have worked four consecutive years and lived more than six months every year in China can apply.

2. Foreign residents who have worked in Beijing for four consecutive years, received an annual salary during that time of at least 500,000 yuan ($72,560) before tax, have lived more than six months every year in China, and have a stable income and residence can apply.

3. Foreigners who have paid more than 100,000 yuan in personal income tax every year with recommendation from a local employer can apply.

4. "High-end foreign experts" with recognition from the Beijing city human resources authority and high-end professional workers hired on a five-year working permit by a local company with recognition from the capital's technology and innovation authority can apply for permanent residency after three years working in China, upon recommendation from a local employer.
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/beijing/zhongguancun/2017-03/27/content_28689305.htm

"During the Fifth National Population Census (2000), only 941 naturalized citizens not belonging to any of China's recognized 56 indigenous ethnic groups (which includes Koreans, Vietnamese, and Russians) were counted in China's mainland.

It is worth nothing that the naturalization process does not generally apply to nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan), since their ROC nationality is already considered as Chinese nationality by officials in all three constituencies."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality_law_of_China

Last edited:
China grants citizenship/greencard to foreigners but it‘s very rare and they usually are at the top of the scientific field, investors, or had made some big contributions to China. They must also have a clean record in their home nation. There are other cases but overall rare. Between 2004 and 2013, 7356 people received Chinese green card. China is starting to grant more green cards, issuing 1579 green cards in 2016 double of 2015, but they will still be very strict to only allow top talent. There will be a group of Ukrainians to receive greencards/citizenship for working in China's military industry.

Investors must invest at least $500,000 USD in western China or poorer regions, among other criteria.

China granted greencards for two Nobel laureates: Dutch chemist Bernard Feringa, who won for chemistry, will be heading a team investigating "self-healing materials" in Shanghai. Swiss scientist Kurt Wuthrich, a Nobel prize winner in chemistry is the head of a research team in Shanghai looking into human cell receptors.
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...el-and-be-running-chinese-green-card#comments

In addition to obtaining permanent residence by accumulating points, there are four ways an expatriate in Beijing can apply for a Chinese "green card".

1. Overseas Chinese employed by enterprises in the high-tech hub of Zhongguancun who have doctorate degrees or have worked four consecutive years and lived more than six months every year in China can apply.

2. Foreign residents who have worked in Beijing for four consecutive years, received an annual salary during that time of at least 500,000 yuan ($72,560) before tax, have lived more than six months every year in China, and have a stable income and residence can apply.

3. Foreigners who have paid more than 100,000 yuan in personal income tax every year with recommendation from a local employer can apply.

4. "High-end foreign experts" with recognition from the Beijing city human resources authority and high-end professional workers hired on a five-year working permit by a local company with recognition from the capital's technology and innovation authority can apply for permanent residency after three years working in China, upon recommendation from a local employer.
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/beijing/zhongguancun/2017-03/27/content_28689305.htm

"During the Fifth National Population Census (2000), only 941 naturalized citizens not belonging to any of China's recognized 56 indigenous ethnic groups (which includes Koreans, Vietnamese, and Russians) were counted in China's mainland.

It is worth nothing that the naturalization process does not generally apply to nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan), since their ROC nationality is already considered as Chinese nationality by officials in all three constituencies."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality_law_of_China

Indeed, most of those Green Card holders are Koreans and those from East Asia as well as Russia (as your link indicates, as well. Plus, Green Card still does not mean citizenship, so, no chance to participate in public policy making processes (such as running for/being candidate for a public office).

This is a healthier and safer approach.

Back
Top Bottom