What's new

Why do students choose to learn programming?

Dai Toruko

Reaction score
Country
Turkey

Turkey hosted its first official programming contest. We went there to talk to some of the participants about coding.

Every tom dick and harry can get into programming, the barrier to entry is 0, the markets world over are saturated. Added on top of this is bidding sites where people are willing to work for as low as $1 per hour.

Thats not true at all, over 500k positions in Germany i.e. are open in all kinds of IT jobs. Companies noticed that outsourcing to Asia and India especially is usually not working out so well, not necessary because of the skills but communication is the key.

High level programming is very good and rewarding skill and cannot be replaced by freelancing outsourced jobs which are low level skills like web development and related srvices.To develop high quality apps and software companies need full time progammers and pay them very handsome salary

Every tom dick and harry can get into programming, the barrier to entry is 0, the markets world over are saturated. Added on top of this is bidding sites where people are willing to work for as low as $1 per hour.

Are we talking about the same Earth?

Are we talking about the same Earth?

This is a common misconception simply because most of IT is invisible to everyday people and the first thing they believe IT engineers do is either Helpdesk (repairing computers) or web development. In other words, the IT that is visible to them.

They don't know all that is out there and explaining it will take pages. Also most of India's IT workforce that does outsourced work isn't well educated and the quality of work isn't high. I know, I worked with them.

This is a common misconception simply because most of IT is invisible to everyday people and the first thing they believe IT engineers do is either Helpdesk (repairing computers) or web development. In other words, the IT that is visible to them.

They don't know all that is out there and explaining it will take pages. Also most of India's IT workforce that does outsourced work isn't well educated and the quality of work isn't high. I know, I worked with them.

specially ppl who are good application Programmers and have the ability to do build hardware(circuits) these ppl are rare

specially ppl who are good application Programmers and have the ability to do build hardware(circuits) these ppl are rare

I second you guys.

I am a solution designer. I work with architects on design and then we execute those design. Beside designing, I am also lead ERP developer of my team (about 6 developer).

In 2016, our board of director decided that we will outsource our ERP development work on India, because they're cheap. We did the design on-shore and get development from India. I was lead on that project and things which I observed working with Indians are:

A) Time difference in between India and North America is really bad. Mostly, they were not available, whenever we need them. We used to have 2 meeting with them, once at 7:30 AM and another at 11:00 PM, which is brutal.
B) Their communication skills were horrendous. They couldn't understand when we walk them through the design. Also, we struggled to understand them as well at times (this includes native white folks).
C) They worked like 'factory' in shifts. For instance, I gave them a defect to resolve, which I had to fix after 2 weeks. Why? Because on Monday developer # 1 worked on it during his shift. When his shift was finished (because they work as factory), than developer # 2 continued to work on it and finished it. When he assigned it back to us and we failed again and sent it back to him. Than developer # 2 started work, but couldnt complete and assigned it to developer # 3 to finish it. And this shit continued for weeks, until we realized that we are just burning cycles and budget. Eventually, we had to do come core development on-shore, because client to really pissed.

More to the point, many times, when they work on one fix, they used to break something new or previous fix. And my Test manager was up to the roof with their team. So in a nutshell, these are some pain points of out sourcing (btw: the company to which we outsource was Infosys).

That said, this MYTH that India's are cheap has been busted. They are not cheap, they are cheaper, however, if you are to re-do the work after it comes back from Indian, than it doesnt count as 'cheap' anymore. In fact, we burned much more budget on a pilot project, which we outsource to Indian. We did productivity report and all indicators were in RED. At that point we pulled the plug and now we doing on-shore development of ERP.

My 2 cents on the topic. Programming is close to my heart, therefore I couldn't resist and shared my opinion on the subject :).

Income for programmers I think depends on what they do, and where they are. A co-worker had a son who was a programmer, I couldn't believe how low his wage were, you'd earn more as waiter.

He then got a job in America, New York. His salary quadripled.

No, They are not.

Any one with a healthy brain, biology can be made ''intelligent'' with a bright brain.

That is why children are ''targeted'' in such fields.

Cross-check: Natural Bright Brain supply in the world cannot cover the growing sophisticated needs anymore.

Income for programmers I think depends on what they do, and where they are. A co-worker had a son who was a programmer, I couldn't believe how low his wage were, you'd earn more as waiter.

He then got a job in America, New York. His salary quadripled.

You guessed it right, its subjective.

Developers income depends on the market (the city and country you are in) and also on skillset, so two vital aspects.

No, They are not.

Any one with a healthy brain, biology can be made ''intelligent'' with a bright brain.

look in my youth I always thought anyone can do this or that.. but now I think some ppl lack ambitions and interest.. many ppl dont care they care just for the now for today or they didnt develop the bases for this.. I think it has something to do with what parents teach their children and how the school system is build up.. for more talents they are wasted we need better support for families and more support and better help after school for children and the young ones..

that is the reason why you can have many programmers many ppl can do it if they want to learn.. its like a language.. but you will lack those who are really good and they dont need to be the ones with the best school and university grades they are the ones who really enjoy what they do!

Take me as an excample I was not really good in economy (hard work helped out) but if you got into biology, chemistry or computer you could tell it once and I did not forget it.. why? because I was interested in this stuff

not really! here in germany we import indians because we have invented the idea that we lack skilled workers.. so our ppl have to go elsewhere to get a good income or they get social help and german companies can import foreigners..

not really! here in germany we import indians because we have invented the idea that we lack skilled workers.. so our ppl have to go elsewhere to get a good income or they get social help and german companies can import foreigners..

Are you telling me that there is no difference in between a VBA developer vs. SAP developer? Thats why I said 'skillset' matters. And then even in SAP you have OData & Fiori developer vs. traditional ABAP developers, pay rate varies of both.

Programming skills will be essential in the workforce in the near future. More and more non IT people are learning to code to automate parts of thier job.

Back
Top Bottom