What's new

Why do Chinese and Koreans have Inferiority Complex against Japanese?

Lambda

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Yesterday I looked at the case of the Japanese cyclist, which raised the question of a whether there’s a Chinese
inferiority complex when dealing with
foreigners. Global Times ran a piece along these lines saying, “A simple bike
has seemingly reflected an
embarrassing situation, namely that
Chinese still cannot view foreigners
equally. People are still too sensitive to
foreign evaluations of the country and confined to an inferior mentality.” Long ago China regarded all other
countries as tributaries to itself and
actually had a very blatant
SUPERIORITY complex. In 1792, King
George III of England sent a delegation
to show the Qianlong emperor some British goods and persuade him to open
China to greater trade with the West.
The emperor responded with a
sufficiently condescending refusal that labeled foreigners barbarians and
included passages like: “You, O King,
from afar have yearned after the
blessings of our civilization, and in your
eagerness to come into touch with our
converting influence have sent an embassy across the sea bearing a
memorial. I have already taken note of
your respectful spirit of submission.” By cutting itself off from the ever-
globalized and technological world,
China was left vulnerable to the Opium
Wars. Then the end of the 19 century brought the ultimate slap in the face.
China was pummeled in the First Sino-
Japanese War after the little “barbarian”
island seized the opportunity China had
brushed away. This was all part of the
greater “Century of Humiliation,” which is oft-cited as the root of China’s
inferiority complex with foreigners and
hunger for international validation. So many Chinese regard it as shameless
historical kowtowing when foreigners
are perceived to get special treatment –
like in the case with the Japanese
cyclist. But do we foreigners really
receive elevated treatment above our Chinese peers? Yes and no. Global Times was
absolutely right in saying Chinese still
cannot view foreigners equally, but it
goes both ways. Some take the
19 -20 century inferiority outlook and worship foreign things and people.
But quite a few take the opposite 18
century chauvinistic attitude. I’m often invited to stranger’s homes,
bought drinks, taken to dinner and
offered high-paying jobs by virtue of
having a foreign face. That I can’t deny. But I’m also overcharged for everything
(by normal merchants and government policy). I’m used as a pawn in guanxi- maneuvering and treated like a
performing monkey. I live in constant
fear that I’ll be booted out of the
country if I flub up some bureaucratic procedure. A few people have tried to talk my girlfriend out of dating me
because of the indignity it brings to
China. And I’m reminded on a daily
basis that my entire identity is nothing
more than 外国人 (outside-country
person). And if that’s all a Japanese visitor deals with, he’s very lucky. Obviously most foreigners feel like they
come out ahead in the end, or they
wouldn’t still be here. But being a
foreigner entails trade-offs many
Chinese don’t recognize. Today I read a very interesting piece in the Economic Observer giving a very
different take on the Japanese cyclist. It
said, “Is the problem that police neglect
ordinary people or that ordinary people
let themselves be neglected?
Government is always blamed for discontent, and social problems are
always ascribed to mismanagement by
officials. But there are plenty of people
acquiescing in this. […]Why do
foreigners always get special treatment
in China? Is it because, unlike many Chinese who are willing to put up with
the way things are, they insist on
making a fuss?” In the graduate program I’m in
currently in Beijing, we’re separated
into a class of only foreigners and a few
classes of only Chinese. A few weeks
ago a Chinese classmate was told by an
administrator that she wouldn’t get credit for a class she’d completed. It had
been approved as an elective at the
beginning of the semester but, at the
end, the administrator (who my friend
says hates her) arbitrarily decided the
course wouldn’t count. On the other side, we foreign students
are accommodated at every turn.
Administration holds regular meetings
to hear our feedback on what we like
and don’t like about the program. And if
someone has beef with a teacher, they’ll usually get their way. On the
surface this probably looks like blatant
special treatment for foreigners. But I remember last year many of the
foreign and Chinese students had plans
to go out together one night. However,
a few hours before, the Chinese
students said their teacher had
scheduled a last-minute meeting to go over pointless drivel…at 7:00 on a
Friday night. “So?” I said. “Tell the teacher tough ****.
You already have plans.” “No, she’s making us go,” my friend
replied. “Is she holding a gun to your head or
something?” I pushed. “Tell her she
needs to give you a respectful amount
of notice if she expects you to show
up.” “We can’t,” my friend scoffed gently.
“I’m sorry.” The reason for the “special treatment”
of foreign students became pretty clear.
Another Chinese student would later
talk about the administration saying,
only half-jokingly,“They come and bully
us because they’ve gotten so used to getting bullied by you foreigners.”

On China’s inferiority complex « Sinostand

Their celebrities are always going to
Japan to promote and even try to speak
or sing in Japanese, don't you think it's
kind of inferiority? Because I never saw
a Japanese celebs going to Korea and
then singing in Korean. Korean companies modeled a lot of
their products after Japan's products
such as Samsung copying Sony,
Hyundai copying Toyota etc and yet
even though they make their products
cheaper, Japanese products are still getting more revenue.
Anyways, I don't think Japan thinks of
Korea as rival. Koreans always mention
Samsung, LG and Hyundai like a broken
record but Korea merely can copy the
technologies but cannot create them (in many case they even cannot copy
them). Korean companies don't have
technologies. Japanese companies have
the original technology. Therefore,
there is no choice for Korean companies
but to import them from Japan and in fact, the more Korean companies sell
their products, the more Japan earn
money. Check the korean trade deficit
with Japan. Beside, if it weren't
currency swap from Japan and China
(and US), Korea would've collapsed already.
Why do Koreans have such inferiority
complex toward Japanese? Jealousy
much?
And btw K-pop/drama isn't that popular
in Japan as Koreans like to point out, it's only popular within Zanichi Koreans
(Yes Korean in Japanese)
Beside plastic surgery trends, what
have Koreans achieve?

Why Do Koreans Have Inferiority Complex Toward Japanese? « My Financial Theory

lol-troll-threads.jpg

I don't mind this thread. It's true that there's still an inferiority complex towards Japan and the West. Honestly, the only way to relive it would be to start a war and inflict 30M+ casualties on them.

There is inferiority complex among Asian countries towards west and the japanese.It is a truth.Nothing wrong in this.
When India,South korea and China achieve more in the future.I hope in Fades off.

i seriously read the entire blog. you know what i realized?

White Americans are arrogant, but we make it no better. For every one of us denouncing their repression and violence, there's 10 willing to kiss their boots. All Asians are like this including Japanese and Chinese and Koreans and Indians and Vietnamese and Filipinos. Some are actively licking their boots and don't even pretend to be independent. Others try to fight back, but in vain. When we fight back, it is like the bullied boy who can no longer take it fighting against the tormentor. When they fight us, they are the bully. They have the power, we do not, even if we score temporary victories. That is because we've already been enslaved mentally. That's why Chinese PhDs, Indian PhDs, are taking orders straight from white managers who have much less education and experience. That's why there is a bamboo ceiling. We just take orders.

The situation is not that much better at home. For every revolutionary manager, there are 1000 feudal age warlord style managers that treat their company as a personal fiefdom and employees as serfs. We treat ourselves like serfs, so we accept being treated as serfs by others.

now we can change. society gets better from you and me.

the first step is to treat each other better on the job. no more personal fiefdom stuff. i see this all the time from professors even. Some Chinese professors literally believe that their lab is their kingdom, and all who work there are their slaves. I've heard from my Indian colleagues similar things. On the other hand, Chinese and Indian (and Russian) teachers recruit students from home countries even if they have weak backgrounds and patiently teach them as well as protect them on comprehensive exams. They coach them on what to say and how to pass. That's good.

manners have very little to do with inferiority complex. money has something to do with it, but this effect is way out of proportion for money alone to explain. this is a deep historical wound that stems from not only the cruelty of colonialism, but also our own failures to remove the few bad aspects from our cultures without wholesale discarding them.

i would also like to add that as i said above, military victories at the national level or winning a fight at the individual level is useless for purposes of escaping this inferiority complex (but obviously, losing is extremely harmful so it is best to not lose). Japan lost to the US. Vietnam defeated the US. Both have inferiority complex towards Americans.

i seriously read the entire blog. you know what i realized?

White Americans are arrogant, but we make it no better. For every one of us denouncing their repression and violence, there's 10 willing to kiss their boots. All Asians are like this including Japanese and Chinese and Koreans and Indians and Vietnamese and Filipinos. Some are actively licking their boots and don't even pretend to be independent. Others try to fight back, but in vain. When we fight back, it is like the bullied boy who can no longer take it fighting against the tormentor. When they fight us, they are the bully. They have the power, we do not, even if we score temporary victories. That is because we've already been enslaved mentally. That's why Chinese PhDs, Indian PhDs, are taking orders straight from white managers who have much less education and experience. That's why there is a bamboo ceiling. We just take orders.

The situation is not that much better at home. For every revolutionary manager, there are 1000 feudal age warlord style managers that treat their company as a personal fiefdom and employees as serfs. We treat ourselves like serfs, so we accept being treated as serfs by others.

Agreed and very nicely put.

As societies, we have to go through a few generations to outgrow this complex:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...orld-order-road-map-future-8.html#post2758071

A few things could help Asians to expedite the process, like having mutual respect, as much as we respect the White people. The other important thing would be to learn non-violent conflict resolution and of course team building. And it will also help, if we give up the "white" model of consumerism, running after money and material things and work towards a more sustainable future.

There is nothing wrong with learning from White people and even using them, but they are not the be all and end all of humanity, as they have actually started the process to trash this planet and continue to do so without any end in sight. Being greedy and having the most toys, should not be the ideal for humanity.

Agreed and very nicely put.

As societies, we have to go through a few generations to outgrow this complex:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...orld-order-road-map-future-8.html#post2758071

A few things could help Asians to expedite the process, like having mutual respect, as much as we respect the White people. The other important thing would be to learn non-violent conflict resolution and of course team building. And it will also help, if we give up the "white" model of consumerism, running after money and material things and work towards a more sustainable future.

There is nothing wrong with learning from White people and even using them, but they are not the be all and end all of humanity, as they have actually started the process to trash this planet and continue to do so without any end in sight. Being greedy and having the most toys, should not be the ideal for humanity.

I respectfully disagree. I believe in a world where a ruthless, nationalistic totalitarian oligarchy allied with other similar states for survival alone, and a constellation of conquered satellites allied with an equally ruthless fascist military-corporate state are fighting for command of dwindling resources on a dying planet. I consider it an absolute miracle if our grandchildren grow up in a happy world.

We are definitely going to give up consumerism, but not by choice. Every excess WILL be corrected, but we may not like the solutions. Things are changing, but what direction will they take? I am not optimistic. Both systems are too deeply entrenched for anyone to do anything.

"It's the education, stupid" To paraphrase Bill Clinton with a twist. Of course a strong mother country is the utmost important factor for others not to look down on you.

Back
Top Bottom