What's new

why China may need America more than America needs China.

Are TV news the only ones you view? Read some real paper news.

1) Chang is a Chinese-American who is allowed to work in China where every visa can be revoked on numerous grounds by the communist party. Why do you think China lets him work there?

2) He wrote in his book (with pages of sources), which I actually read, back during 2001 that the Chinese economy will collapse by 2006. IMF estimates that China's economy will grow 9.7% this year (2010) and exceed Japan as the world's second largest economy.

3) Just in case you don't get it: The reason why PRC allows him to work in commercial centers like Shanghai is because China needs extremists who aren't "always" right. In 2007 China's GDP growth rate rocketed over 12%, effectively putting an end to all speculations that Communist China will fall.

4) It's halarious how he now dropped the "fall of China" punch line and went along with "China does not have much leverage on the US." instead. There is a fine line between "have or not have leverage over the United States of America" and "fall," lol...

Last edited:
Are TV news the only ones you view? Read some real paper news.

1) Chang is a Chinese-American who is allowed to work in China where every visa can be revoked on numerous grounds by the communist party. Why do you think China lets him work there?

2) He wrote in his book (with pages of sources), which I actually read, back during 2001 that the Chinese economy will collapse by 2006. IMF estimates that China's economy will grow 9.7% this year (2010) and exceed Japan as the world's second largest economy.

3) Just in case you don't get it: The reason why PRC allows him to work in commercial centers like Shanghai is because China needs extremists who aren't "always" right. In 2007 China's GDP growth rate rocketed over 12%, effectively putting an end to all speculations that Communist China will fall.

4) It's halarious how he now dropped the "fall of China" punch line and went along with "China does not have much leverage on the US." instead. There is a fine line between "have or not have leverage over the United States of America" and "fall," lol...

Whatever his past predictions are doesn't matter. and he isn't making predictions. he is simply showing how China can't dump U.S. bonds for a very good reason. It would hurt China and in the end they wouldn't accomplish much.

Personally I am not even sure China would get many buyers to tell you the truth. But the points he makes if they did sell are valid. Like it or not China has tied itself more to the U.S. economy then they would like to admit. That is why they continue to this day to keep buying U.S. debt.

hmm...

so you're saying that the historical record of US dumping British debt in the 50's and wrecking Britain's economy was a completely successful move yet...

China dumping US debt now, would not work.

Whatever his past predictions are doesn't matter. and he isn't making predictions. he is simply showing how China can't dump U.S. bonds for a very good reason. It would hurt China and in the end they wouldn't accomplish much.

Personally I am not even sure China would get many buyers to tell you the truth. But the points he makes if they did sell are valid. Like it or not China has tied itself more to the U.S. economy then they would like to admit. That is why they continue to this day to keep buying U.S. debt.

I beg you differ. One has to judge another's statement based on his or her credibility. I don't know about you, but I don't believe in people who have been largely erroneous in the past. He was extremely popular in 2002, when his book hit a record high sales rate and was a columnist in over 5 press', now only 1 wants him.

Now, it is again erroneous to assume China "can't dump." It can, but not all at once as it is doing so right now in purchasing energy instead of bonds. And no... having no one to buy your debt will only hurt the debtor more, though the lender will suffer too, but on a smaller scale.

Who said no one won't catch? The British and Japanese have been keen on US debts. They will buy at all cost to prop the US economy, since they are even more reliant on the US market than China. Furthermore, China does not need a buyer in order to call in guarantees.

I don't believe he said the Chinese will keep on buying bonds but how they can't dump them.

Remember 10 years ago when there were absolutely no news about China in NA? And how Hollywood and CNN are continuously trying to persuade us that "China's got nothing against us?" Well, as you Americans always say, "When the government repeatly tries to assure the public that nothing is wrong, the certain nothing is wrong."

I beg you differ. One has to judge another's statement based on his or her credibility. I don't know about you, but I don't believe in people who have been largely erroneous in the past. He was extremely popular in 2002, when his book hit a record high sales rate and was a columnist in over 5 press', now only 1 wants him.

Now, it is again erroneous to assume China "can't dump." It can, but not all at once as it is doing so right now in purchasing energy instead of bonds. And no... having no one to buy your debt will only hurt the debtor more, though the lender will suffer too, but on a smaller scale.

Who said no one won't catch? The British and Japanese have been keen on US debts. They will buy at all cost to prop the US economy, since they are even more reliant on the US market than China. Furthermore, China does not need a buyer in order to call in guarantees.

I don't believe he said the Chinese will keep on buying bonds but how they can't dump them.

Remember 10 years ago when there were absolutely no news about China in NA? And how Hollywood and CNN are continuously trying to persuade us that "China's got nothing against us?" Well, as you Americans always say, "When the government repeatly tries to assure the public that nothing is wrong, the certain nothing is wrong."

No he didn't mention anything about China continuing to buy U.S. debt. But they are doing so despite their criticism of how high U.S. debt is. Let me ask you this why don't they stop buying?

No he didn't mention anything about China continuing to buy U.S. debt. But they are doing so despite their criticism of how high U.S. debt is. Let me ask you this why don't they stop buying?

Are you living in a cave...? China did stop buying... He's talking about whether China dumping bonds was a viable option...

Are you living in a cave...? China did stop buying... He's talking about whether China dumping bonds was a viable option...

where are you getting your information that China stopped buying? I suggest you do a little more research. China knows it can't just dump the bonds.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd0d0d24-2b39-11df-9d96-00144feabdc0.html

Beijing still keen to buy US bonds
By Jamil Anderlini in Beijing
Published: March 9 2010 05:36 | Last updated: March 9 2010 20:30

China does not want to politicise purchases of US Treasury bonds and continues to buy them “every day”, according to the official in charge of managing Beijing’s $2,400bn of foreign exchange reserves.

Chinese investments in US Treasuries are “market investment behaviour and we don’t wish to politicise them”, Yi Gang, director of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange, said on Tuesday. “We are a responsible investor and in the process of these investments we can definitely achieve a mutually beneficial result.”

China is the biggest foreign holder of US Treasury bonds and its leaders have voiced fears that US policies would see the value of the dollar fall. The composition of China’s reserves is a state secret but data showing an apparent decline in its direct holdings of US Treasuries led to speculation that Beijing might be deliberately cutting its holdings to signal political displeasure with Washington. The US and China have clashed over issues including arms sales to Taiwan, climate change, Tibet and criticism of Beijing’s internet controls.

Analysts said monthly Treasury data showing a dip in Chinese holdings did not capture the extent of Safe’s purchases through international banks and financial centres such as London and Hong Kong.

The data, once revised at the end of the second quarter, are likely to show China continued to buy US Treasuries, although it might have allowed some short-term debt to mature as it bought longer-term US government securities. Analysts said if China had been dumping dollars, there would be more volatility in US bond markets, with big sell-offs matched by corresponding purchases of other foreign assets. No market outside the US and eurozone government bond market is big enough to absorb a large-scale diversification of Chinese reserves without volatility.

“The US Treasury market is the biggest bond market in the world and our foreign exchange reserves are relatively large, so as you can imagine the US Treasury market is an important one for us,” Mr Yi said in Beijing. “Buying and selling US government bonds is something our investment team does every day and is completely normal.”

About two-thirds of China’s reserves are invested in US dollar-denominated assets, according to analysts and people who work closely with Safe.

In spite of the financial crisis and Safe’s poorly timed 2008 diversification into global equities Mr Yi said his agency had achieved “relatively good” returns.

In a sign of how closely China’s reserve management is watched around the world the price of gold fell $3 in an hour after Mr Yi said Beijing would be “cautious” about adding more of the metal to its reserves and that bullion would never be a big part of Safe’s portfolio. He pointed out that any large gold purchases by China would quickly push up prices in international markets.

China is the world’s biggest gold producer and Safe has been adding to its holdings of the metal by buying from state-owned domestic producers, raising its total from 600 tonnes in 2003 to 1,054 tonnes by the middle of last year.

Last edited:
Yi should be shot as a foreign spy for allowing gold produced in china to flow out of the country for worthless paper. it's possible he secretly has dual citizenship with the United States and is taking orders directly from the US Treasury and CIA.

However state holdings of US debt have decreased below Japan's level as of early april.

Yi should be shot as a foreign spy for allowing gold produced in china to flow out of the country for worthless paper. it's possible he secretly has dual citizenship with the United States and is taking orders directly from the US Treasury and CIA.

However state holdings of US debt have decreased below Japan's level as of early april.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

since when did China allow dual citizenship?

Back
Top Bottom