What's new

Why Afghanistan Is Going To Fall To The Taliban Again. And It's Not Why You Think.

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of Sarah Chayes -- her interview here.

Basic take away is that she thinks it's too late for the US to be able to help Afghanistan.

The Taliban has since charged that Afghan intelligence purposely gave the U.S. the hospital's coordinates. Even the possibility that such an accusation is true -- and the duration of the sustained attack suggests that something unusual happened -- points toward the reason that Afghanistan is headed back toward Taliban control: The government is thoroughly corrupt, and the U.S. has been unwilling to take measures to address the situation. While a handful of civilian and military leaders identified corruption as an existential threat to the country, the problem remains unsolved.

Chayes turned her experience into the groundbreaking book Thieves of State, which forecasts that corrupt governments will continue to be the targets of insurgents who win public support. Like the Iraqi army did in Mosul and elsewhere a year earlier, the Afghan army and police in Kunduz simply melted away.

Reporting from the region makes it clear that the Afghan government lost the population as a result of its corruption. The way it erodes public support is intuitive: Imagine that you are an Afghan civilian generally opposed to the extremism of the Taliban. Yet for nearly everything you need to do -- travel to and from work, transport merchandise, enroll in school, open a business -- you get shaken down, often by somebody of a different ethnicity. The Taliban, with all its piety, at least might not be corrupt, you start to think. As The New York Times reported last week:

How can the U.S. respond?

This context means the almost exclusive focus of U.S. debate on whether or
On the other hand, as far as Afghanistan is concerned, I think the window of opportunity to exert real leverage on governance and corruption is closed. So, I'm afraid I don't see how the U.S. can helpfully respond in Afghanistan, at this point. We had more than a decade, and we squandered a remarkable moment in history.

Interesting. Lets see how it goes. So far no visible signs of Taliban take over. Its gonna be tough for them this time as the Afghan army has been developed.

I think best bet for US a long deep stregic relationship with pak forget about afghanistan ?It becomes a lost cause they stand againest talibs reason is given above .pak is only pillar left for them in this neighbourhood a mutual and helping relationship is win win for both .

Interesting. Lets see how it goes. So far no visible signs of Taliban take over. Its gonna be tough for them this time as the Afghan army has been developed.
Problem is nobody gonna die for these corrupt leaders that why these forces did not pit to fight .

I think this time , if Kabul government falls, Uzbek, Panjsheri and other warriors of North, will have very hard time against Taliban . Decade of war with NATO has toughened up Taliban while the militias of Northern warlords are dissolved since 2001. Who would have thought, Taliban will be contesting for territories in Badakhashan. This time Taliban wont need to invade the northern provinces from outside, they already have presence in Badakhshan, Takhar, Baghlan, Parwan, Samangan etc , and can be in position to capture districts of these provinces once the threat of American air strikes is removed.

If Americanss are predicting fall of Afghanistan in coming years, they are not saying it out of amusement , they have assessed the situation on ground.

What it means is that local warlords are closer to pulse of local population and Afghan military is just waiting the inevitable. It also means conscripts share little with the country as a whole and affiliate closely to their native tribe.

Back
Top Bottom