Population: ~5Million

WTF?

View attachment 922648
Takes up a good chunk of our East Coast

View attachment 922649
Compared to Great Britain

Population: ~5Million

WTF?
We could fit a much larger population in if we intensfied population density in the cities (most people live in houses rather than apartments) and made maximum use of urban land.

As the video explains, our topography includes a large amount of mountainous terrain which is uninhabitable, at least at any meaningfull scale.

Our population has more than doubled in my life time and is projected to continue doubling every 30-40 years.

NZ is a new country which has only 150 years of modern history.
Agriculture was non -existent before Europeans arrived. With Australia next door with its vast natural resources and diverse climatic regions, people preferred settling there.

We could fit a much larger population in if we intensfied population density in the cities (most people live in houses rather than apartments) and made maximum use of urban land.

As the video explains, our topography includes a large amount of mountainous terrain which is uninhabitable, at least at any meaningfull scale.

Our population has more than doubled in my life time and is projected to continue doubling every 30-40 years.

I think your country looks awesome...don't ruin it.

I think your country looks awesome...don't ruin it.
The parts that look good won't ever be affected by population growth, there are too many restrictions on land use. Urban intensification is the future.

I enjoy the diversity in Auckland where I live, which is where over half of New Zealand's immigrants settle. People mingle very freely here on the whole, but it can take time for new immigrants to adjust like anywhere else.

Quite a few well known Americans live here or spend time here. James Cameron and his wife have citizenship, Peter Thiel, Gabe Newell (Valve), lots of others have quitely purchased property and reside here for parts of the year. I read that during covid New Zealand became very popular with New York billionaires.

I always thought of New Zealand as heaven on earth as we never hear anything about it in the news which I thought as a good news, until I met a New Zealand immigrant in Canada and according to him it is a hell hole on earth...too many crimes, after 8 pm people are locked inside their homes and no one goes out unless they absolutely have to....Is it true?? I still do not believe it.

I always thought of New Zealand as heaven on earth as we never hear anything about it in the news which I thought as a good news, until I met a New Zealand immigrant in Canada and according to him it is a hell hole on earth...too many crimes, after 8 pm people are locked inside their homes and no one goes out unless they absolutely have to....Is it true?? I still do not believe it.
Not really, we're still statistically a relatively safe country by international standards. A lot of New Zealanders lack perspective and buy into the media hype around crime. First world problems really. Every time there is a murder it makes National news headlines.

New Zealand crime rate increased from 0.74 in 2017 to 2.63 in 2019. New Zealand is ranked the second safest country worldwide in 2021 and has a crime index of 43.03 and a safety index of 56.972.

The spike in crime between 2017 and 2019 was largely due to a change in how crime stats are reported.

Last edited:
You actually don't need a lot of land to house the population if you go for urban intensification. Singapore with so much smaller land area can house more people than NZ, and that is despite a large part of our land reserved for greenery/military functions. The land area of Seoul/Tokyo (23 wards) is even smaller than Singapore and yet they have around 10mil people, almost 2x the population of NZ. What's more during the day many workers in the surrounding cities will commute into Seoul/Tokyo.

NZ is twice as large as Java Island, and Java Island has >150mil people. If they are willing to accept a higher density of population and have more people than cows inhabiting their land, NZ can easily house a far larger population.

You actually don't need a lot of land to house the population if you go for urban intensification. Singapore with so much smaller land area can house more people than NZ, and that is despite a large part of our land reserved for greenery/military functions. The land area of Seoul/Tokyo (23 wards) is even smaller than Singapore and yet they have around 10mil people, almost 2x the population of NZ. What's more during the day many workers in the surrounding cities will commute into Seoul/Tokyo.

NZ is twice as large as Java Island, and Java Island has >150mil people. If they are willing to accept a higher density of population and have more people than cows inhabiting their land, NZ can easily house a far larger population.
I lived in Singapore for a couple of years, probably the world's best urban planners. New Zealand could learn a lot from Singapore, from the public transportation system to managing water resources and housing policies etc.

I lived in Singapore for a couple of years, probably the world's best urban planners. New Zealand could learn a lot from Singapore, from the public transportation system to managing water resources and housing policies etc.

Well, we are a small country with very limited resources. We are willing to pay a premium to build more expensive infrastructures which are designed to optimize land use and maximize resource efficiency. For NZ which is blessed with plenty of resources, that economic and political incentive may not be as strong. Even if it's feasible, there will always be temptation to seek the cheaper option which makes more economic sense.

Waste:

Water:

Last edited:

Newzealand is one of the finest country to live, do not ruin by overpopulation.... It is a very nice country and state..

Back
Top Bottom