What's new

Who persuaded Iran to buy Pakistan nuclear technology?

actually it was little red riding hood who sold nuclear secrets to iran! come on!

No' it was robin hood who did it ! hehe... regardless of whoever it was there shoud be no doubt that it was the right thing to do & was done and i fully support it :tup:

Many may not be aware but Iranian Nuclear program is as old as Pakistan's. For example PAEC (initially known as Pakistan Atomic Energy Research Council or PAERC) was established in 1956. An Institute of Nuclear Science under the auspices of CENTO was established in Tehran in 1957.

Shah ordered the establishment of a 5MW Research Reactor Centre at Tehran University in 1960. A 5MW Reactor at PINSTECH went critical in 1965. A similar reactor goes critical in Tehran in 1967.

Kanupp went critical in 1972. In 1974 US reached a provisional agreement with Iran for two nuclear power plants also the same year Iran signed an MOU with France to provide five 1000 MW nuclear reactors.

Pakistan’s nuclear progress is primarily due to initial efforts of Prof Abduls Salam and support of Ayub Khan. Contribution by ZA Bhutto and Zia ul Haq following India’s 1974 nuclear explosion is also invaluable. Not forgetting AQ Khan’s contribution; PAEC had the good fortune of being managed by two very competent Heads (Dr IH Usmani & Munir Ahmad Khan).

Iran’s nuclear program on the other hand, had to suffer the misfortune of 1979 revolution which created an unprecedented ‘Brain Drain’. US hostage taking after the revolution was the nail in the coffin of Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

What I am trying to say is that Iran had already acquired substantial manpower pool trained in Nuclear Technology by 1979. Therefore whether AQ Khan helped or how much did AQ Khan or any other outsider helped, only the provided the catalyst. Embryonic technical know-how was always there.

Iran had a nuclear program all the way from shah days..it was also the first ME country to embark on reactor construction. It is just that after the Mullah revolution we just got caught in our "ummah" fever and happen to help some bad people. Initiall Iran nuclear program was for civilian purpose only but post revolution Iran took the course of millitarizing its nuclear program.

Iran embarkment of millitary nuclear technology was touted by saudis as "shia bomb" which persudaded them to fund our program as a "sunni bomb" counter balance. 50 thousand barrel oil per day as well generous cash kickbacks were provied by Saudis most of which founds it way into Nawaz Shariff personal bank accounts and industry.

Pakistan transfer nuclear technology for turkey?and Babur technology transfer for Turkey?

Iran had a nuclear program all the way from shah days..it was also the first ME country to embark on reactor construction. It is just that after the Mullah revolution we just got caught in our "ummah" fever and happen to help some bad people. Initiall Iran nuclear program was for civilian purpose only but post revolution Iran took the course of millitarizing its nuclear program.

Iran embarkment of millitary nuclear technology was touted by saudis as "shia bomb" which persudaded them to fund our program as a "sunni bomb" counter balance. 50 thousand barrel oil per day as well generous cash kickbacks were provied by Saudis most of which founds it way into Nawaz Shariff personal bank accounts and industry.

Hi,

My uncle was one of the pakistanis incharge involved in setting up that nuclear plant for iran during the Shah's regime---if I recall it---the plant was israeli !!!---just before Shah got topples---they came and took everything away.

My uncle was stuck in iran---basically a hotel arrest----was not allowed to leave for awhile----many interrogation sessions. When he came back he was not the same person. Would get up at night---pickup his suitcase and would try to run out of the room half asleep.

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
In tackling the story of Pakistani nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan, Frantz and Collins (Death on the Black Sea) are entering a crowded field. As Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark did in Deception (reviewed July 30), this husband-and-wife team divides attention between Khan's influence over Pakistan's nuclear program and how the American government ignored evidence of his progress because Pakistan served as a convenient ally. While much of this story is familiar, Frantz and Collins do provide more detail on Khan's background and draw on several different U.S. sources. (They reveal, for example, that the State Department discussed assassinating Khan as far back as 1978.) They also give the Pakistani government more benefit of the doubt than most other commentators: an internal corruption investigation ordered by Pervez Musharraf shortly after he became Pakistan's president is interpreted as suggesting that Khan's dealing with nations like Libya and Iran might not have been sanctioned by his government. Deception has more about Pakistan's internal politics and an edge in readability and zing, but this is an equally serviceable overview. (Dec. 3)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Hi,

A lots of people don't realize that the pak program had been going on due to the indirect blessings of the americans. They knew what pak was doing and they decided to turn and look the other way---they knew that there needed a balance of power in the area as well.

The most important think to understand is the on the other side of the ocean----there are people who like you more than they like the indians---and vice versa---the best thing is not to get caught and even if you get caught---find a way to diffuse the issue.

Like in case of A Q Khan----pak should have devised a different strategy----they should have created a massive diversion---which could have been in the form of massive millitary strikes on the al qaeda operatives all over the country specially in the mountains.

How was this thread article written? I can't find the source from the link provided. Can anybody provide the link to the actual source?

Back
Top Bottom