What's new

Who on earth said PAF will get only single engine fighters?

My car has more power than those twin engines combined. It's even disgrace to call that crap an airplane, let alone a twin engine fighter bomber. :D

Twin engine and in PAF colours right here.

6772.jpg

My car has more power than those twin engines combined. It's even disgrace to call that crap an airplane, let alone a twin engine fighter bomber. :D

Foul play :D

that "crap" has served PAF quite well when it comes to flight cost/ performance ratio, particularly at one time, it had the least attrition rate among all PAF aircraft.

In a limited war (CAS off course) situation, A-5 would have been quite handy.

Incorrect assumption.. The F-16 has four stations on each wing. With external tanks, it can still carry Six 500 pound bombs and two medium range missiles and two short range missiles. The dont have to jettison anything unless they are merged with.. in that case the Rafale would be advised to do the same since even with two engines it wont much chance pulling G's with a bomb load.
Moreover, there is no loading of A2A mode or A2G mode.. what is loaded is the mission data. Pre flight there is a mode selection for the FLCS based on the load that is being carried. So a category I setting is for an air to air mission with lighter loads as A2A missles only.. in which the aircraft is unrestricted all the way to 9 g. With Cat III in case the aircraft is carrying a heavy bomb load.. it gets restricted to 5.5g.

The Rafale performed this A2A and A2G feat in ATLC, they used their radar to lock up and engage red air fighters while releasing their pre-locked AASM's to their targets.

Oscar,

Can you please confirm the G figures? Are they for F-16 or Rafale? Because last i heard, F-16 can only pull sustained 9Gs with a clean configuration. With loading on it's wings, it is anything between 5.5 and 1.

Oscar,

Can you please confirm the G figures? Are they for F-16 or Rafale? Because last i heard, F-16 can only pull sustained 9Gs with a clean configuration. With loading on it's wings, it is anything between 5.5 and 1.

f-16_load.jpg

I think the load factor in this pix is G figures (not sure though)

How will F-16 acquire targets for the long range shots when it is in a long range strike mission? Do they switch radar modes A2a and A2G in a single mission upon their choice for searching and tracking adversaries when at enemy air space and to A2g before releasing the surface weapons?

Radar's dont stay in one mode, all it takes is a little button push to change what its looking for.. You may generally stay in A2A mode throughout the long range mission and only switch to A2G at the IP to target.
Using radar.. the F-16 can get SAR picture beforehand.. then stick to A2A modes and engage.. A GPS weapon is already preprogrammed or can be selected from the SAR image. Or using an LGB the lasing can be done on the target based on the image.

Oscar,

The F-16 can pull sustained 9G's in the A2A config without the fuel tanks.. however, it does cause some stress..
In the A2G or Cat-III... it is limited to 5.5gs.

Adding more $ symbols doesnt make a point valid. How much cost difference is there between single and double engine anyway? probably around 1.5 times. That's pretty affordable! When poor African countries can afford Su-30s, Pakistan with a half a trillion GDP very well can afford to maintain it.

Those poor African countries have hardly 10-15 Su-30s which is probably 50% of their fighter fleet.

Most of them are equipped with more gunships than fighter jets.

The quantity that is needed by you lot is way more than just a handful.

So there's a reason why your PAF heads have ruled out dual engine jets.

Junk planes dont count

It(A-5) wasn't too bad.

Though the Su-25 and A-10 are much better in terms of firepower and protection.

Such aircraft are typically used for close air support operations.

On twin-engine planes, the F-6 served with a good service record.

By the way; generally speaking, is it really true that harsh geography are one of the rationals to operate twin-engine planes?How much does that factor weigh in?

All 5th gen planes are going to be double engine,otherwise they can't match performance.So if PAF stays with this philosophy past 2020 its sunk.Till then they will manage.

All 5th gen planes are going to be double engine,otherwise they can't match performance.So if PAF stays with this philosophy past 2020 its sunk.Till then they will manage.

F-35. Though depends on your definition of performance.

A lot of second tier air forces meant primarily for self defence have twin engine aircraft. Japan for example.

But I guess PAF is relying more on nukes.

And by the way Pakistan also used this plane for carrying nuclear weapons Sir this plane has served in China too and in large numbers

The next aircraft would be J-31 but still no news that PAC is a partner in this program. If it is of 25% then surely we will be making it from 2020 at PAC.

Back
Top Bottom