What's new

Who made Pakistan nuclear reactors?

Thank you guys for your time and explaining me. I'm happy to see that pakistan reached considerable level in nuclear area. I hope we can learn something from you.

as far as i know china launched in 100 million degress for ten seconds. Its a great success. before that germany launched fusion 100 million degrees for 0.5 second.

for Container size fusion reactor an american company "Tri Alpha Energy" working on it an i suppose they lauched succesfully.

:-) Turkey did help too, I think tungsten linked.

I am Bit rusty with the latest advancement in this area, but yeah these are great achievements. I think another decade or so we will see something, the link you posted its pretty informative.

After Fusion may be the world will start working on anti-matter and quark based power generation.

First reactor Pakistan had was given by USA under Atoms for Peace deal during Eisenhower's Presidency. Second was I think built at KANUP by Canada. France did not give us any nuclear plant, they reneged on the agreement to build a processing plant.
from france we got purex solvent process for reprocessing spent fuel.

First reactor Pakistan had was given by USA under Atoms for Peace deal during Eisenhower's Presidency. Second was I think built at KANUP by Canada. France did not give us any nuclear plant, they reneged on the agreement to build a processing plant.
I stand corrected.

Get the book, "Eating Grass"

first one was just a useless joke, but you are right about the rest of it.

"Deception - Pakistan, the United States, and the Secret Trade in Nuclear Weapons"
Abdul Qadeer Khan did succeed in acquiring and/or buying from France and they sold him materials thinking he was too stupid and backward to know what to do

French always think so highly of themselves.. one of the most racist people on the face of Earth. I am appalled at how racist europe is. America thank God is a haven for immigrants...

first one was just a useless joke, but you are right about the rest of it.

I am not an expert in nuclear technology what I remember is that it was a small reactor given for research and did help us in acquiring expertise in nuclear field. I think it was still running a few years back but not sure now.

Hello my pakistani friends. I want to ask a few questions. We all know pakistan is a nuclear power and has nukes but what i wanna ask is

Are those nuclear power plants pakistani made?

If it is how many reactor type can pakistan build ?

I assume they are all fission reactors? But what about fussion? does Pakistan working on fussion?

You are asking for national secret info, no one will give it 100% accurate but from publically available info pakistan has French, canadian and netherlands 3rd generation nuclear technology, chinese first, third and fourth gen military level nuclear technology, 3rd gen american civil nuclear technology and miniature tactical nuclear technology third gen indegenous technology. There are reports of 3rd gen nuclear tech of russia being studied for some scenarios.

Ofcourse no one will confirm how many reactors etc but majority is european and chinese tech.

Hello my pakistani friends. I want to ask a few questions. We all know pakistan is a nuclear power and has nukes but what i wanna ask is

Are those nuclear power plants pakistani made?

If it is how many reactor type can pakistan build ?

I assume they are all fission reactors? But what about fussion? does Pakistan working on fussion?

Civilians nuclear reactors are mainly built by the Chinese, with KANUPP-1 being an exception.

Karachi Nuclear Power Complex (Civilian | IAEA safeguarded)

KANUPP or Karachi Nuclear Power Complex houses three reactors. KANUPP-1 is a CANDU type reactor built by Canada in 1971. The KANUPP 2 & 3 are ACP-1000 type reactors built by the Chinese. There is a possibility of the fourth reactor as well. KANUPP-1 will be decommissioned when the new reactors start producing power around 2022.

Chashma Nuclear Power Complex (Civilian | IAEA safeguarded)

This complex houses Chashma Nuclear Power Plant or CHASNUPP reactors built by the Chinese. There are four CHASNUPP reactors (CNP-300) operating there, with the possibility of the fifth one.

This makes seven civilian reactors, including both the operational and under construction, and two under consideration.

Pakistan Atomic Research Reactor (PARR) Complex (Research | IAEA safeguarded)

There are two PARR reactors (PARR-1 & PARR-2). First one provided by the US under Atoms for Peace programme. The second one is considered indigenous. They don't add much to the electricity production.

Khushab Nuclear Complex (Military | Plutonium Reprocessing Complex)

Four reprocessing units are believed to be operational and there are rumors of possible fifth one. Officially publicized data on these units are scarce.

Last edited:
At first we gthered the requirements from black market and other sources.
Currently, we have sufficient knowledge, technologies and research for our nuclear program. We can produce the centrifuges ourselves and even after large scale destruction after 2005 earhquake, we were soon back to where we were.

You have little idea how much restrictions are in place for Pakistan on nuclear and missile technology. Even or closest friends including China have to reject us in many areas.

However, we hqve come a long way and are relatively self-reliant when it comes to our nuclear program.

We had our first nuclear plant thanks to france. Later China gave us a helping hand.
We have nuclear reactors which are used separately for civilian and military purposes. We are also interested and have invested to produce electricity from nuclear energy.
Our nuclear program is only used for deterrence. We are fully aware of the risks and responsibilities of being a nuclear power.

Hon M.Musa,

I hate to correct a member of the PDF staff, but the information in the last paragraph of your post is incorrect.

Pakistan’s first ever reactor was a 10MW Swimming Pool type research reactor supplied by the US which went critical in 1965 and is located at PINSTECH, Nilore, Islamabad.

Pakistan’ first nuclear power reactor was KANUPP-1 which went critical in 1971. This was a Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor (Candu -137 MW) of Canadian origin.

PAEC had signed an agreement with France to provide us with a Nuclear Fuel Processing Plant. I was actually one of the engineers selected by PAEC to go to France to be trained in the Plutonium extraction from Spent Nuclear Fuel. I was even introduced to the Franch representatives when they visited Karachi.

The whole thing never came to pass because the deal was eventually canceled due to the American pressure.

ps://www.nytimes.com/1976/11/14/archives/a-case-study-of-one-nuclear-deal-france-and-pakistan.html

You beat me to it Sir @niaz . I was just going to make a similar post.

And for the record, Chashma was under construction by France till the project was halted in 1977 and fully abandoned two years later under US pressure.
It would take years for the Chinese to modify the design and instal a 300MW civil reactor there. Three more reactors would follow later.

First Pakistani design is an experimental Pu fired 50MW reactor in Khushab which was built with heavy Chinese assistence. Three more reactors are under construction. Khushab reactors are built for military use ad do not come under IAEA safeguard.

Another point to be noted is that the NSG was founded in 1974 after the Indian 'Smiling Budha' nuclear tests. Therefor one can not blame Pakistan for using 'illegal or black channel' network to develop the bomb. We never signed the NPT and whatever we imported form the west was available at the open market for dual use (civil + military).
Machinery and tools were imported from Germany, UK, Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. Turkey, Dubai and Thailand became our major hubs as the shipments were not directly made to Pakistan to minimise the risk of coming under radar.

We didn't have such universities , research facilities, & skilled people for nuclear Program, few Islamic countries helped us financially as it was called Islamic nuclear bomb before.
Nuclear program was inevitable after we lost East Pakistan. We did it through legal & illegal channels .
WTF... are you talking about?
We are world lead in Physics, we excelled in Physics education when west banned Pakistanis for studying nuclear Physics.
On theoretical level we are at par with advance nations, its only the engineering part where we lack.
Pakistan still can't buy a slightly advance machine tool factory from western nations.

Back
Top Bottom