What's new

Who is a Hindu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you cant be good human being, even if you are pray 5 or 30 times a day. Then you aint worth a dime in my book

How come people as far as Germany have common words with northern Indians if
at least part of the ancestory is not common??

Why can't it be the other way around ?

European tribes migrated from India to Europe. Why not, I say ?

Hon Joey,

I welcome critism at any time. Let us discuss your assertions:

If you read my post, you will notice that I agree that Indus valley was essentially a Dravidian civilization and of indigenous Indian evolution. My point is what happened to it. There were no Harappa and Mohenjodaro when Alexander invaded circa 322 B.C. This civiliation existed around 1000 BC. Something must have happened in the intervening 700 years to destroy it. I maintain that it was destroyed by the Aryans.
Wrong theory,because Genetics and Archeology goes against it, I have given you a nice example of this, "If you recall Kivisild was second author in the infamous Bamshad study of indian caste populations which had forcefed AIT once but then after the new study he has made a U turn and puted up what actually happened"

What destroyed the civilization is another matter of discussion altogather, but Aryans didnt destroyed it as I have told you genetics and archeology goes agaisnt it, I'll discuss with you how. The destruction of Indus valley civilization or for that matter dwarka whose ruins has been found in coasts off Gujrat has been done through natural changes than anything Aryan invasion, International Archeology has proven it!

I have no way proving disproving where the word 'Hindu" came from. However any Farsi speaker will tell you that one of the words used for black colour is hindu.
As I have told you there are more than one way of the word Hindu, dont mix Hindu with Hindi, in Ved, 'Sa' is pronounced as 'Ha', Sapta Sindu becomes Hapta Hindu as per some Persian texts

But overall I did agreed, It is better known as 'Sanatana-dharma' rather than Hindui-ism.

The language that you refer to is not "Baluchi" but Brauhi. Baluchi is an Iranian language with a lot of Farsi words. Its alphabet is based on Arabic and very similar to Pashto. Baluchis are present not only in Pakistani and Iranian Baluchistan but also in Sindh, lower Punjab and in the Seraiki belt extending upto Bahawalpur.

Brauhis on the other hand is a small group of tribles around the area of modern Kalat. As a guess I would say that those who speak Bruahi or Bravi number no more than two million. Brauhi is 'probably' a Dravidian language and would naturally have many words in common with Tamil. However, since these indigenous Indian people have been cut off from other Dravidians for thousands of years, they are now indistinguishable from other Baluchs and most Baruhi are bi-lingual, they speak Baluchi and Brauhi with equal ease; probably thru intermixing with the Baluchis.
Thank you for the information.

Now back to Aryans. Dont know why you deny existence of Aryan invasion.
Because It goes against genetics and archeology.

Vedas don't speak of it because these are the story of invason itself.
Absolutely wrong, Vedas are not stories of invasion, They speaks many other things which the upanishads explains. Upanishads are part of Vedas, Vedas speaks of Indus valley civilizations life in many part excplained by Upanishads as well.

There is so much evidence of Aryans in north of India. For example the 'Swastika' the symbol of Nazism is found frequently in North Indian Hindu Symbols.
I'm sorry you have some serious wrong information, Swastika is a as used in India is a Hindu symbol first then any Nazi, Nazis used it, There are different forms of Swastika found in Mayan civilization as well!

Swastika is not only found in north indian hindu symbols but it is a universal Symbol of peace, dont mix the nazi swastika with hindu swastika it contains two dots.

Dont forget It is among thousand of thing found in Indus valley civilization excavations as well.
Princes were addressed as Aryaputra in the Mahabharata.
I have told you Arya is used to give respect in Sanskrit.

The old language around Mathura ( Birj/Virj Bhasha) and Sanskirit is part of the Indo Iranian languages.
Sanskrit has links with Indo-Iranian Languages but in reality they do has differences.

How come people as far as Germany have common words with northern Indians if
at least part of the ancestory is not common??
Here is the fine mistake of the AIT theory once done by kivisild and then with latest genetical research refutted by the same one, Archeology has also gone against it, Migration actually happened in the OPPOSITE WAY than the way AIT prescribes.

Get this book , published recently 2003 methink,

The Real Eve : Modern Man's Journey Out of Africa (Paperback)
by Stephen Oppenheimer

From the book. Page 116

South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17 and his ancestors; and sure enough we find highest rates and greatest diversity of M17 line in Pakistan, India and eastern Iran and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is not only more diverse in south Asia than in Central Asia, but diversity characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a "Male Aryan Invasion" of India. One age estimate for the origin of this line in India is as much as 51,000 years. All this suggests that M17 could have found his way initially from India or Pakistan through Kashmir, than via Central Asia and Russia, before finally comming to Eruope.

Page 83

Mitochondrial DNA study

The main African Eve circa 150k years ago is denoted as L

L had several daughters of which a branch of L3 , rooted in Ethiopia
During the ice age circa 85k years ago, the red sea was shallow and the gulf was above water
A small band of L3 migrated to coastal Yemen and on the beach road and the first inhabitable non-coastal area was India

L3 then splits into N and M lines
N was born near baluchistan and M deeper in India

Europeans and middle eastern people have no M lines

India has the deepest variety of M lines dated to 75k years
M is found in Central Asia, Australia, New Guinea

Page 87

Europeans came from South asia circa 50k years ago

Page 136
N had a daughter lineage R, born in India 65 K years ago

(R is genetically rooted in India )

R had several daughters

U in India, splitting up into several U lines

U5 is the ancestor of kurds, armenians and basques and dates to 50k years

U6 migrated to North African coast

R had another daughter HV, dated 40K years ago
and HV migrated to Europe

N had a daughter I , dated 33K years
who migrated to Europe

R had a daughter J/T who migrated out of India
20K years ago

In short the entire maternal DNA of Europe is rooted in India which in turn is rooted in Africa

Page 178 shows entire global maternal DNA chart

Page 186 shows entire Y chromosome paternal DNA chart

Get that book first and read it.

Oppenheimer's genetic map:

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

Dr. Koenraad Elst's favorable review:

http://www.swordoftruth.com/swordoftruth/archives/byauthor/koenraadelst/aaitio.html

kivisild from IC group

Here, however, the clock is just a secondary problem -- the first being 'the Indian reference sample' used. Indeed, the Indians included in this study consisted of a (limited) sample from Gujurat -- one of the western maritime provinces of India. When extending the sample with collections from different states, a quite different, even opposite, picture emerges (Table 17.3). Indians appear to display the higher diversity both in haplogroups 3 and 9 -- even if a pooled sample of eastern and southern European populations was considered. If we were to use the same arithmetic and logic (sensu haplogroup 9 is neolithic) to give an interpretation of this table, then the straight-forward suggestion would be that both Neolithic (agriculture) and Indo-European languages arose in India and from there, spread to Europe. We would also have to add that inconsistencies with the archaeological evidence would appear and disappear as we change rate estimates (Table 17.3).

Table 17.3 Variant and coalescent time estimates on Y-chromosomal STRs.
Age estimates
Variance/ Pedigree rate/ Phylogenetic rate

Haplogroup 9
Europe 0.44/ 6100/ 42,200
India 0.51/ 7100/ 48,900

Haplogroup 3
Europe 0.24/ 3300/ 23,100
India 0.37/ 5200/ 35,700

I have given you a little bit genetic proof, Will give you more if you want, Remember this part,

If you recall Kivisild was second author in the infamous Bamshad study of indian caste populations which had forcefed AIT(aryan Invasion Theory) once but then after the new study he has made a U turn and puted up what actually happened

I have given you a slight example on the Shompel tribe in andaman who are older than azoribinis are actually genes traced from africa! when continent broke out!

Actually old Iranian language ( Pahlavi) was written in Avesta script very similar to the Sanskirt.( Look at old Parsi religeous texts.)
I'll discuss on this language a bit later, it'll get too diverse.

How is it possible if the root is not the same, pointing towards infusion of a lot foreign genes in the aboriginal Dravidian Indian blood ??
You have said right but the fact is the opposite, infusion of local genes among foreign peoples happened not otherwise!

Every one knows from various stories that Krishan was dark and Balaram was light skinned. No human being can be Blue!! Think Krishan is depicted as blue only to highlight his celestial links.
correct, but there is another link as well, you'll see Krishna to be deep blue in north whereeas in south to be lighter blue it is because during Mughal era paintings they used to prefer this color deep blue for some reasons, and it is been coming from there.

My mention of Durga was only to point out commonality between Artemis( Diana) and Durga. Even though all the deities of the pantheon are worshipped by all Hindus; it is well known fact that different deities have more prominence in different part of India, For exmple Kali Devi is of greater importance in the South and Ganesha more in the West and as you mention Durga in Bengal.
There is not much commonality between Artemis and Durga, The concept of Durga is here to you then,

Durga depicts ten hands with ten weapons gifted to her by ten lords to fight the devil.
She is accompanied by her four sons viz Karthik, Ganesha, Lakshmi and Saraswati.

The Vedas and Upanishads depicts durga as in a Society, if you/one wants to be untouched by the evil power (a-sura) or wants to defeat it it needs these things,

1> Money - Lakshmi.
2> Education - Saraswati.
3> Politician - Ganesh.
4> Military expert (hindi me yudhbid) - Karthik.

Apart from these one needs blessings of ten men from the society which means one needs accompanians in the society to support him of his endeavours against the evil

This is the concept behind Durga.

Thus to beat the evil in the society or to fight off succesfully against one one needs power, power aka Shakti in form of, he should be properly educated, he should have money, should be sound in politics and should know ways and tactics of rivalry/war, and should be supported by kith and kin in the society.

Hundreds of kids in the internet calls it idol worship which is totally incorrect, in Durga puja days the puja in the day of Ashtami , and the Ashtami evening Sandhi Arathi begins with,

'Ya devi Sarba Bhutesu shakti rupesu na shanshthitaye namastassaye namastassaye namastassey namoh namahah"

It is repeated with 108 types of forms of Devi Durga, from Shaki rupesu to matri rupesu to etc etc.

IMHO you should come in calcutta aka kolkata for durga puja festival time once, as usual just like me more than anything you'll like the enjoyment spirit, the city is known as city of joy, you'll love the food (bengalis makes one of best foods), and ofcourse the girls...without them everything is incomplete.

Sitting in Maddox Square and having a beer or two is different experience atogather :P

Kali Devi is very very important here as well in Bengal, It has different forms but Kali Devi , Durga all these are same people but in different form.

How to perform puja infront of Kali also varies according to its color, there are Tantrik ways, Vedic ways etc etc.

Regarding Upanishads and the Puranas. I have not come across any Upanishad in English even though I searched for it in Delhi Book stores in 1994 when I was there last. So I have not actually read one and only know about them from the secondary sources. My belief is the Hindu religion is not really based on Vedas which contain mostly mantaras or chants and hymns used by the priests at worship or sacrifices; but more on the Upanishads which are the commentaries/ explanations of the Vedas but in fact form the basis of most of Hindu beliefs.
Not really correct, Vedas the the highest part of Hinduism, our birthday to astrology to everything is governed by it, Upanishads are a part of Vedas but phisophical aspect of it.

Each puja is performed in Vedic method, then there are different divisions among each other.

|GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives
I've just read much of Stephen Oppenheimer's book on the real Eve that I ordered from amazon.com. It's really right on target about the origin. His mtDNA analysis of "N" places "N" as the mother of all Europeans and West Eurasians. He notes that about 74,000 years ago N lived near India and gave rise to R mtDNA, and from N and R mtDNA, the two daughters living right near the border of India/Pakistan turned West and lived for thousands of years, from about 74,000-60,000 years on the Arabian Gulf and around the Zagros mts. as well as in the area the Kurds occupy today. This correlates exactly to the"Garden of Eden" where the Marsh Arabs live today at the point where the Tigris flows into the Arabian Gulf. Back then, the sea level was different so that the Gulf was an Oasis, what you might call a garden of Eden. From 60,000 years ago to 45,000 years ago mtDNA N and R lived there. Interestingly, when it began to dry up, those two daughters were cast out of their little garden of Eden....right in the spot where the Bible says they lived on the Gulf of Arabia and mouth of the Tigris...and traveled up a specific path through Turkey and into Europe...it's as if they were cast right into the Ice Age of that time. In any case, they populated the Levant 45,000 years ago at the same time as they populated Europe, two branches of N and R....and only those two branches with their corresponding Y-chromo male mates.

The other branch who lived alongside them, M, went East from India into Eastern Asia or remained in India. So today, U7, X, and U2 is all over India living next to the Asian M mtDNA types. Oppenheimer also notes that H is all over India, but at a low level. The origin of H mtDNA is in or near India, having moved westward as it mutated. N from India mutated to R in India, moved west to Pakistan, mutated to pre HV, then HV, then H, inhabited the Arabian Gulf area when it was an oasis, populated Arabia, entered the Levant, mutated to H. Then H left the Arabian peninsula and populated the fertile crescent (Iraq), went to Turkey, then Greece and the rest of Europe, and took refuge in Spain and France, then expanded to Britain and the rest of Europe from Spain to the Urals.

So it's ironic, that with all the hullabaloo about culture clashes. We Europeans are all Arabs and Kurds so to speak, having mutated from L3 to N and then to R in the Arabian Gulf area/Kurdistan to Bahrain...where we all lived from 60,000 years ago to 21,000-45,000 years ago before moving on to the Levant and Europe. Europeans migrated from the Zagros mountains to Europe 45,000 years ago.
So where was Europe populated from? From "near India" according to Oppenheimer. He discusses the genetic and archaeological evidence for an Indian origin of European peoples.

Today R and N is found all over India/Pakistan. And H is descended from R. N is descended from L3 and W, I, and X is descended from N. So you have H coming from R, R coming from N, and N coming from L3 out of Ethiopia/East Africa. From L3 came both N and M, and from N and M and only these two daughters came everyone else who is non-African. Everyone else in Africa is L1, L2, or L3.

U6 in N. Africa migrated from the Levant to N. Africa. Ancient Egyptians who were U6 came to Egypt from the Levant after the Levant was populated 43,000 years ago. The 120,000 year old fossils in the Levant got stuck there and disappeared 90,000 years ago, trapped by an ice age desert. So the moral of the story is....yes, there was a type of garden of Eden in the Arabian gulf exactly where the Bible says it was...and mtDNA N and R lived there after leaving India/Pakistan while M stayed in India and branched off to move to E. Asia 74,000 years ago.

India got covered in ash from the Sumatran volcano eruption 74,000 years ago, which helped move people west and east....Today, you find L3 still in parts of Indonesia and Malaysia, trapped by the volcano, and surviving there for 74,000 years around Kampala Tampon. I really like Oppenheimer's book. It seems to give the reader the exact location and maps where all Europeans and others come from...just as I thought, mother India for all non-Africans, with mtDNA N and R at the root of everyone in the West, and M at the root of everyone in East Asia, L for all Africans and those who live elsewhere and didn't mutate....The oldest? New Guinea people, M....there in Papua/New Guinea for the longest time, 74,000 years....even older than the Australians, there 68,000 years. Who traveled the farthest in the shortest time? L3 and M (New Guinea)...separated by 74,000 years. By the way, folks, my book on pharmacogenetics and nutrigenomics is finally available. See Web site: http://dnanovels.tripod.com/nutrigenomics.html.

What I thought of Oppenheimer's book is that I ordered Peopling the World from amazon.com and instead what came in the mail was the book on the real Eve. I heard they are two books. Are they similar? The Eve book is thorough. I compared it with Sykes books on the Seven Daughters of Eve. In Sykes' book, he talks about his own laboratory work, whereas Oppenheimer's book doesn't mention a word about what he does in his work at all. Instead, it tells of what all the other archaeologists and geneticists are doing or have done to back up the genetic evidence of how the earth was populated. The book doesn't mention the rivalry or scientists or anything like that between the scientists who expound that Europe was populated by neolithic farmers from Syria and Turkey versus the scientists who say that Europe was populated by Paleolithic hunters from the steppes of West Asia and Zagros mountains. Nothing like that is in Oppenheimer's book, just the facts and evidence of genetics focusing on the Southern route out of Africa of the descendants of one woman and one man who survived. All the rest didn't. One African L3 mtDNA woman and one M168 man who gave rise to mtDNA N, M, and R, from which everyone else is descended and mutated.

So we are all Africans and Indians. Interestingly, he mentions, the reason why L3 didn't leave Ethiopia more frequently or earlier or make more than one excursion and survive it was because genetic and tool evidence shows when L3 left Africa and crossed the Red Sea headed for Yemen, it was populated by non-Homo Sapien archaic people on the other side of the Red Sea in the Middle East. Perhaps they weren't that friendly to see more people competing for the food available from across the narrow sea. What would you have done if you sent a scout across the waters and found Homo Homilei, similar to Homo Erectus, looking back at you? Same must have faced those who later went to Europe and the Levant and found Neanderthal there 45,000 years ago. When two species meet, the outcome has always been the same....Only one species remains. Will this happen when we pioneer outer space?
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2003-08/1061061400

Fossil Reanalysis Pushes Back Origin of Homo sapiens
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=00053DFE-C0B7-1213-80B783414B7F0000

Fossil Reanalysis Pushes Back Origin of Homo sapiens

Image: MICHAEL DAY

A new analysis of human remains first discovered in 1967 suggests that they are in fact much older than previously believed. The results, published today in the journal Nature, push back the emergence of our species by nearly 35,000 years.
Ian McDougall of the Australian National University in Canberra and his colleagues worked with two well-known fossil finds known as Omo I and Omo II, which were recovered from Ethiopia's Kibish Formation by Richard Leakey. The remains include two partial skulls as well as arm, leg, foot and pelvis bones for Omo I. "Anthropologists said they looked very different in their evolutionary status," remarks study co-author Frank Brown of the University of Utah. "Omo I appeared to be essentially modern Homo sapiens and Omo II appeared to be more primitive." At the time, the bones were dated to 130,000 years ago, based on radioactive decay of uranium and thorium from oyster shells found nearby. This time the scientists returned to the southern Ethiopian site and identified the resting places of both individuals. They also unearthed another part of a femur bone for Omo I that fits with the original remains.

The researchers then analyzed the volcanic ash layers above and below the river sediment that contained the fossils using argon dating. They determined that the rock just below the fossils dated to 196,000 years ago. Because the layers of the Kibish Formation formed quickly during wet seasons that inundated the area with organic matter, the team posits that the bones are only slightly younger than this underlying layer. In addition, a layer of ash more than 150 feet above the burial sites dates to 104,000 years old, putting a lower limit on their age. Using other evidence, which drained from the Nile and the Omo rivers onto the Mediterranean seafloor, the researchers attest that the Omo fossils are most likely no younger than 190,000 years old.

Previously the oldest known traces of our species were fossils from Herto, Ethiopia, that date to about 160,000 years ago. The older age of the Omo remains is concordant with dates suggested by genetic studies for the origin of our species, says study co-author John Fleagle of Stony Brook University. He adds that "as modern human anatomy is documented at earlier and earlier sites, it becomes evident that there was a great time gap between the appearance of the modern skeleton and 'modern' behavior."

http://evolutsioon.ut.ee/publications/Kivisild2000.pdf
Kivislid, Villems, et al
An Indian Ancestry: a Key for Understanding Human Diversity in Europe and Beyond

A recent African origin of modern humans, although still disputed, is supported now by a majority of genetic studies. To address the question when and where very early diversification(s) of modern humans outside of Africa occurred, we concentrated on the investigation of maternal and paternal lineages of the extant populations of India, southern China, Caucasus, Anatolia and Europe. Through the analyses of about 1000 mtDNA genomes and 400 Y chromosomesfrom various locations in India we reached the following conclusions, relevant to the peopling of Europe in particular and of the Old World in general. First, we found that the node of the phylogenetic tree of mtDNA, ancestral to more than 90 per cent of the present-day typically European maternal lineages, is present in India at a relatively high frequency. Inferred coalescence time of this ancestral node is slightly above 50,000 BP. Second, we found that haplogroup U is the second most abundant mtDNA variety in India as it is in Europe. Summing up, we believe that there are now enough reasons not only to question a 'recent Indo-Aryan invasion' into India some 4000 BP, but alternatively to consider India as a part of the common gene pool ancestral to the diversity of human maternal lineages in Europe. Our results on Y-chromosomal diversity of various Indian populations support an early split between Indian and east of Indian paternal lineages, while on a surface, Indian (Sanskrit as well as Dravidic speakers) and European Y-chromosomal lineages are much closer than the corresponding mtDNA variants.

A very specific and clear-cut example of the overarching East- to -West gradient in ancient times. If even the distant SE Asians were colonizing Europe thru the sea routes (or via Iranian-Hrvat proxies), what to say of the more proximate Indians and Mideasterners?

The evidence of mtDNA haplogroup F in a European population and its ethnohistoric implications

Mitochondrial DNA polymorphism was analysed in a sample of 108 Croatians from the Adriatic Island isolate of Hvar. Besides typically European varieties of human maternal lineages, haplogroup F was found in a considerable frequency (8.3%). This haplogroup is most frequent in southeast Asia but has not been reported before in Europe. The genealogical analysis of haplogroup F cases from Hvar suggested founder effect. Subsequent field work was undertaken to sample and analyse 336 persons from three neighbouring islands (Brac, Korcula and Krk) and 379 more persons from all Croatian mainland counties and to determine if haplogroup F is present in the general population. Only one more case was found in one of the mainland cities, with no known ancestors from Hvar Island. The first published phylogenetic analysis of haplogroup F worldwide is presented, applying the median network method, suggesting several scenarios how this maternal lineage may have been added to the Croatian mtDNA pool.

Tribal and Caste Indians are from the same stock,

The genetic heritage of the earliest settlers persists both in indian tribal and caste populations Kivisild et al, 2003
http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publications/AJHG_2003_v72_p313-332.pdf

Two tribal groups from southern India—the Chenchus and Koyas—were analyzed for variation in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), the Y chromosome, and one autosomal locus and were compared with six caste groups from different parts of India, as well as with western and central Asians. In mtDNA phylogenetic analyses, the Chenchus and Koyas coalesce at Indian-specific branches of haplogroups M and N that cover populations of different social rank from all over the subcontinent. Coalescence times suggest early late Pleistocene settlement of southern Asia and suggest that there has not been total replacement of these settlers by later migrations. H, L, and R2 are the major Indian Y-chromosomal haplogroups that occur both in castes and in tribal populations and are rarely found outside the subcontinent. Haplogroup R1a, previously associated with the putative Indo-Aryan invasion, was found at its highest frequency in Punjab but also at a relatively high frequency (26%) in the Chenchu tribe. This finding, together with the higher R1a-associated short tandem repeat diversity in India and Iran compared with Europe and central Asia, suggests that southern and western Asia might be the source of this haplogroup. Haplotype frequencies of the MX1 locus of chromosome 21 distinguish Koyas and Chenchus, along with Indian caste groups, from European and eastern Asian populations. Taken together, these results show that Indian tribal and caste populations derive largely from the same genetic heritage of Pleistocene southern and western Asians and have received limited gene flow from external regions since the Holocene. The phylogeography of the primal mtDNA and Y-chromosome founders suggests that these southern Asian Pleistocene coastal settlers from Africa would have provided the inocula for the subsequent differentiation of the distinctive eastern and western Eurasian gene pools.

PS: This paper has an excellent section on "India as an incubator for early genetic differentiation"

I can go on, Lets sum things up a bit,

1> You asked Why Sanskrit and Persian has similarities - would go there later-

2> You asked about Swastika being used in north India and being in Nazi, however you forgot Swastika has been found in Indus valley civilization archeological diggings and Nazi swastika is not even 100 years old, and it is used all over India.

3> You asked about Germany bearing resemblance with India, I explained it to you by reverse migration of genes,

4> You asked about Destruction of indus valley civilization, the causes of it are natural and nas been proved archeologically, even ruins of Dwarka preserved as it is inside Sea has been found! Dwarka was Krishnas Fort.

5> You asked about Hinduism not being much about Vedas which is incorrect, every rights of Hinduism is performed in its highest maner by the Vedas.

6> You asked about Vedas not speaking about invasion because it is story of invasion itself, that is the most weird comment I have seen lol, Vedas speaks nothing about invasion, foreigners, dravidians, or aryans, It should atleast speak of Dravidians to suport your point in most simple manner.

The vedas itself has huge divisions, heard about Charjapad? It is from Sanskrit found in Nepals and Tibets ancient monasdtries, it was known as 'evening landuage' or 'Sandho Bhasa'.

7> Upanishads are part of Vedas but in different light, a philosophical aspect of it.

8> Arya in Sanskrit means 'To give respect'.

9> This is only genetical proof have given you in little, Archeological proofs are just simply mind blowing, revently in Russian city of Volga , the idol of Vishnu was found, idol of Vishnu was widespread among the Harappan/Mohenjodaro or Indus valley civilizations, just a simple example leaving aside the Archeological study of India.

Another Example, If you know 11% of romanian population are horse-trading gypsies. That's a phenomenal identifiably indian presence right in the heart of europe (balkan area). The Jewish Population of Romania is only 5%, even though Jewish settlement precedes that of the gypsies by half a millenium (arguably). I think this strongly indicates that indian settlers were enterprising enough in whichever domain happened to fall upon them.

There are records for a group called SINDOI centered around the Black Sea and decribed explicitly as an "Indian people" by the greek historians (the so-called "Pontic Indo-Aryans"). Amazingly, one of the dominant gypsy tribes is named SINTI. Both came from Sindh/Sindhu area, their migrations forming a veritable continuum across millenia.

The Gypsies are genetically identical to Indians. Except they lack M17 (R1a1):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_(people)

Studies of Bulgarian, Baltic and Vlax Roma genetics suggest that about 50% of observed Y chromosomes and mitochondrial DNA belong to haplogroup H and female haplogroup M, respectively; both of which are widespread across South and Central Asia. The male haplogroup R1a1 is rare amongst the Roma but accounts for 50% of male Y chromosome in NW India and Pakistan. The remaining genes of the Roma studied originate from Middle East or Europe. (Am. J. Hum. Genet. 69:1314–1331, 2001; "Origins and Divergence of the Roma (Gypsies)" and European Journal of Human Genetics (2001) 9, 97 - 104; "Patterns of inter- and intra-group genetic diversity in the Vlax Roma as revealed by Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA lineages".)

This would suggest that R1a1 was selected out by genetic drift. for genetic drift to operate, the founder population must have been small enough and tight-knit enough. This founder group, small and inconsequential by indian standards, was indeed a phenomenal event for the indegene euros; gypsies now form 11% of the population right in the balkan heartland!!! And the jews who had arrived earlier, from closerby, and in greater numbers form only 5%.

Actually, this major european lineage (50% local admixture) was descended from an identifiable small caste in India.

Am. J. Hum. Genet. 69:1314–1331, 2001
Origins and Divergence of the Roma (Gypsies)

...In this study, we examine the genetic structure of 14 well-defined Romani populations. Y-chromosome and mtDNA markers of different mutability were analyzed in a total of 275 individuals. ...Asian Y-chromosome haplogroup VI-68, defined by a mutation at the M82 locus, was present in all 14 populations and accounted for 44.8% of Romani Y chromosomes. Asian mtDNA-haplogroup M was also identified in all Romani populations and accounted for 26.5% of female lineages in the sample. Limited diversity within these two haplogroups, measured by the variation at eight short-tandem-repeat loci for the Y chromosome, and sequencing of the HVS1 for the mtDNA are consistent with a small group of founders splitting from a single ethnic population in the Indian subcontinent. Principal-components analysis and analysis of molecular variance indicate that genetic structure in extant endogamous Romani populations has been shaped by genetic drift and differential admixture and correlates with the migrational history of the Roma in Europe. By contrast, social organization and professional group divisions appear to be the product of a more recent restitution of the caste system of India.

AIT is as truthful as saying that the gypsies invaded and conquered india because gypsy language is similar to sanskrit and there is genetic linkages between gypsies and indians.

Just analysing one of the recent thorough research it is easily seen and proved that, The oldest genetic diversity outside Africa is found in India in the beachcomber remnants such as Veddas and Chenchus. These originals subsequently expanded into the regular indian "caste" type-which have the 2nd greatest diversity outside africa. The indologist creeps were fond of saying that the indian "caste" populations had come in and wiped out these aboriginal veddas, chenchus, etc. Oppenheimer says that this is completely wrong. The standard Indian "caste" populations are direct descendants of the vedda types.

Another argument implicit in oppenheimer's thesis is that stone age does not mean culture-poor and language-poor. Think of the rich cultures of the native americans, categorically stone age, but as culturally developed as the Vedic Hindus. In this respect, all the different waves from India, up the Indus, into C. Asia and regions north were not just bland peopling events, but major cultural founder events. Oppenheimer proves that this happened not once, but on many different occasions, across tens of thousands of years; so much so, in fact, that it can be seen as a historical principle of east-to-west and south-to-north diffusion and migration. Also there was a considerable time differential between the incubation period in South Asia, and the first tentative ventures north: 30,000 years.

Oppenheimer's genius is that he follows common sense which had long ago been buried by the euro-racists: black evolves to brown which, in turn, mutates to pale skin. Of course, he goes much deeper into the genetics.

The reason I gave you a small tip off previously about the shompel tribe in andaman, is Vishnu Som, chief editor of NDTV known to me has flown there with Navy during tsunami, they are one of the oldest living tribe in the whole world!! still lives like peoples of stone age, getting their sights are very difficult as well.

AIT is absolute nonsense , genetics has proved it , Archeology has proven it better.

Atleast Nostradamus got it correct this time :P

Thanks Joey about a very interesting theory. Nevertheless it is still a theory and based upon one book only thus not the last word on the subject.

There is no doubt that humans moved out of Africa. My own belief is that the migration was from Ethiopia across to Yemen and then North to Levant and East into Iran- India on on wards. Another branch travelled north along the coast from Turkey into Europe. Since all humans originated from Africa any way, there has to be genetic commonality.

I have read so much about the Aryan invasion that I am still not fully convinced. I have, however, always kept an open mind and therefore not going to say that it is wrong; like all other theories it is possible that Oppenheimer could be right. ( By the way did you know that J. Robert Oppenheimer was the chief physicist at the Manhattan project which developped the first ever Atomic bomb during WW2. )

It has long been established that Gypsies actually came out of Egypt into Europe ( Egyptians corrupted became gyptians and finally into gypsies). Their origin is most probably Indian and are of the same stock as Banjaras. Many of them still worship Kali Devi and still indulge in petty theft in addition to dancing and singing ( a Banjara is always a Banjara !!). How the gypsies reached Egypt from India in large numbers is a matter for speculation.

Ther are two theories about Garden of Eden. In the Gilgamesh Tablets found in the Babylonian digs, story of Adam and Eve is mentioned and some authors believe Eden to be Bahrain, where sweet water bubbles out from under the sea bed. Some researchers believe that Jews came across this story while in captivity in Babylon and included it in the 'Genesis' part of their Scriptures.

Second theory which I saw in the TV program 'Discovery Science' is that Eden was somewhere near modern Tabriz and Adam and Ever were probably banished for some reason.
Again these are all theories and may or may not relate to what really happened.

However, all of this is a diversion to "Who is Hindu" I have nothing more to add on the main topic.

Thanks Joey about a very interesting theory. Nevertheless it is still a theory and based upon one book only thus not the last word on the subject.
No it is not a theory it has been proven, I really would like to know the other word if it exists and what would be it scientifically with Archeology and Genetics, Science and Archeology has proved that there was No Aryan invasion, It is Well known fact that Christians tried to establish supremacy from establishing Noah's beliefes from Bible with that of Aryan invasion which is some hoard of BS!!!

There was absolute propaganda during 1800 with no scientific proof but based on philosophical aspect to relate Christianity to everything and prove the white supremacy theory.

Here is the basis of AIT and the desperate try to relate it with fanaticism

Statement of Aryan Invasion/Migration Theory - After the great flood described in the Bible that took place in 2048 BC, the descendents of Noah's son Japheth went to India and populated it. They took with them the language of the Tower of Babel that is described in the Bible. We all know that the whole world had one common language caled the Aryan language. How do we know this? Because the Bible says so!

Basis of this theory -

1) Tower of Babel story gave rise to the claim of one common language. In fact, the pseudo-science called philology was built to claim that the biblical events are true.
2) Belief that the whole world is descended from Noah made the advocates of the theory choose Japheth (one of Noah's sons) as the ancestor of Hindus.
3) Noah's blessing that Japheth will be enlarged made them come up with the idea of invasion. So the original inhabitants were supposed to be the descendents of Ham who were dark-skinned.
4) The choice of 1500 BC is based on the assertion that Hindus could not have existed before the flood described in the Bible.
5) The choice of Central Asia is based on the assertion that Noah ended up in Central Asia

I'd really like if you can prove the otherwise or prove AIT.

Biblical Origins

Scholars and thinkers of the late eighteenth century, enthusiastically pushing forward the scientific and intellectual frontiers that had become accessible in post-Enlightenment Europe, found themselves grappling with the historicity of Old Testament chronology. The discovery, through expanding European colonies, of other cultures claiming pedigrees of vast antiquity; developments in linguistics; and the proliferation of “hard” archaeological evidence provoked a drastic reevaluation of biblical narrative in matters of human origins. Features such as the monogenic descent from Adam, the evolution of all human language from the monolingual descendants of Noah, and the brief period that seemed to be allotted to the dispersion of the human race after the Flood became the subjects of intense debates. As the first pioneering British scholars in India began to discover Sanskrit texts, the promise of hitherto unknown historical information becoming revealed to Europeans became the cause of both great anticipation and epistemological anxiety.

Sir William Jones, the first Indologist to attempt a serious synchronization of biblical and Puranic chronology, exemplifies the tensions of his time. His predecessors, British scholars John Holwell, Nathaniel Halhed, and Alexander Dow—all associated in various capacities with the British East India Trading Company—had relayed back to an eager Europe gleanings from Puranic sources that described an immense antiquity for the human race. 1 These provided the ranks of disaffected Christians, such as the vociferous Voltaire, with valuable materials with which to attempt to shake off the constraints of Judeo-Christian chronology and to refute Jewish or Christian claims to exclusive mediation between man and Providence. Holwell, for one, believed that the Hindu texts contained a higher revelation than the Christian ones, that they predated the Flood, and that “the mythology, as well as the cosmogony of the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans, were borrowed from the doctrines of the Brahmins” (Marshall 1970, 46). Halhed, too, seemed to take the vast periods of time assigned to the four yugas quite seriously, since “human reason … can no more reconcile to itself the idea of Patriarchal … longevity” of a few thousand years for the entire span of the human race (Marshall, 1931, 159). Dow was instrumental in presenting Europe with a deistic image of India whose primitive truths owed nothing to either Jews or Christians. Such challenges stirred up considerable controversy in Europe, fueled by intellectuals such as Voltaire adopting such material in endeavors to undermine biblical historicity.

Naturally, such drastic innovations were bitterly opposed by other segments of the intelligentsia. For well over a millennium, much of Europe had accepted the Old Testament as an infallible testament documenting the history of the human race. Thomas Maurice, for example, complained bitterly in 1812 about “the daring assumptions of certain skeptical French philosophers with respect to the Age of the World … arguments principally founded on the high assumptions of the Brahmins … [which] have a direct tendency to overturn the Mosaic system, and, with it, Christianity.” Such scholars were greatly relieved by “the fortunate arrival of … the various dissertations, on the subject, of Sir William Jones” (22–23). Jones was just as concerned about the fact that “some intelligent and virtuous persons are inclined to doubt the authenticity of the accounts delivered by Moses.” In his estimation, too, “either the first eleven chapters of Genesis … are true, or the whole fabrick of our national religion is false, a conclusion which none of us, I trust, would wish to be drawn” (Jones 1788, 225).

Eager to settle the matter, Jones undertook the responsibility of unraveling Indian chronology for the benefit and appeasement of his disconcerted colleagues: “I propose to lay before you a concise history of Indian chronology extracted from Sanskrit books, attached to no system, and as much disposed to reject Mosaick history, if it be proved erroneous, as to believe it, if it be confirmed by sound reason from indubitable evidence” (Jones 1790a, 111). Despite such assurances, Jones's own predispositions on this matter were revealed in several earlier written statements: “I … am obliged of course to believe the sanctity of the venerable books [of Genesis]” (1788, 225); Jones (1790) concluded his researches by claiming to have “traced the foundation of the Indian empire above three thousand eight hundred years from now” (145), that is to say, safely within the confines of Bishop Usher's creation date of 4004 B.C.E. and, more important, within the parameters of the Great Flood, which Jones considered to have occurred in 2350 B.C.E. Such undertakings afford us a glimpse of some of the tensions that many European scholars were facing in their encounter with India at the end of the eighteenth century; the influence of the times clearly weighed heavily. However, Jones's compromise with the biblical narrative did make the new Orientalism safe for Anglicans: “Jones in effect showed that Sanskrit literature was not an enemy but an ally of the Bible, supplying independent corroboration of the Bible's version of history” (Trautmann, 1997, 74). Jones's chronological researches did manage to calm the waters somewhat and “effectively guaranteed that the new admiration for Hinduism would reinforce Christianity and would not work for its overthrow” (74). Trautmann notes that, for the most part, up until the early part of the nineteenth century, British Indomania was excited about the discovery of Hinduism for several reasons: it provided independent confirmation of the Bible; its religion contained the primitive truth of natural religion still in practice, a unitary truth from which the forms of paganism of Rome and Greece were perverted offshoots; and its arts and cultures were connected to Egypt's (64).

Those who (in philosophy) make use of myth are unworthy of serious consideration’.

Aristotle, Metaphysics.

Just what the fanatical christians tried to do by proving White supremacy and relating it with bible.

There is no doubt that humans moved out of Africa. My own belief is that the migration was from Ethiopia across to Yemen and then North to Levant and East into Iran- India on on wards. Another branch travelled north along the coast from Turkey into Europe. Since all humans originated from Africa any way, there has to be genetic commonality.
Didnt quite get you, Your saying migration was from Africa to iIndia?Migration happened in parallel ways one from India another from Africa! I have given you genetical proof, Lets see what more I can give you.

There were three two four types of migrations happened paralelly!

Humans moved from Africa via Searoute!! Seafood was their major diet this agsin has been proven! the presence of Shompel tribe in andaman are a tip of the iceberg!!

Early Man and the Rise of Civilisation in Sri Lanka: the Archaeological Evidence

S. U. Deraniyagala
Director-General of Archaeology, Sri Lanka

ABSTRACT

PREHISTORY

The Himalayan foothills of the Indian sub-continent have yielded evidence humans having lived there around two million years ago. Although the earliest known dates for hominids in peninsular India are ca. 600,000 years before the present (BP), it is very likely that future research will indicate an age comparable to that of the Himalayan foothills, since there do not appear to have been any physical barriers to prevent humans from being present in southern India contemporaneously with their occurrence in the northern part of the sub-continent. Meanwhile, it is apparent that Sri Lanka was, more often than not, linked to southern India by a land bridge during this period. It is estimated that the sea level would have dropped sufficiently for creating such a connection on at least 17 occasions within the last 700,000 years. This phenomenon would have been caused by the rise and fall of the sea level due to cold/warm fluctuations in the global climate. The last separation from India would have occurred at about 7,000 BP.

It is therefore possible that humans were present in Sri Lanka from at least as early as one million years ago. There are ancient coastal sands in the north and southeast of the island which could be as old as 250,000 BP or even 700,000-500,000 BP. These deposits may contain evidence of human habitation, a prime research objective for the future. Another group of sediments that could yield remains of early hominids in Sri Lanka are the gem-bearing alluvial gravels of the Ratnapura District. These ’Ratnapura Beds’ are of different ages and have yet to be plotted and dated accurately. But they do contain remains of an Upper Pleistocene fauna, notably a hippopotamus with six incisor teeth, a rhinoceros which has been dated from elsewhere (Lunugala gem gravel) to ca. 80,000 BP 1 and a lion. Associated with this fauna are stone artefacts comprising, typically, large choppers and flakes of quartz and chert, which have been assigned to the ’Ratnapura Industry’. However, apart from a human calotte of indeterminate age from a gem pit near Ellawala, no hominid remains have been forthcoming from the Ratnapura Beds. The faunal remains, which come to light in the search for precious stones could well include hominids and closer scrutiny could well be a rewarding exercise. Until future chronological resolution is achieved one could only affirm that the ’Ratnapura Industry’ composes elements that could be of Upper Pleistocene or earlier age, whereas others could be much more recent.

By about 125,000 BP it is certain that there were prehistoric settlements in Sri Lanka (Deraniyagala 1992:686). The evidence stems from excavations conducted in coastal deposits near Bundala. Patirajawela yielded a small-flake stone tool industry from horizons dated to 125,000 to 75,000 BP, while Bundala-Wellegangoda had comparable material from ca. 80,000 BP 2 . These people made tools of quartz (and a few on chert) which are assignable to a Middle Palaeolithic complex (ibid.:252-4,458,688). Apart from such tools, no other vestiges of their culture have survived the ravages of time and tropical weathering: we do not know what these people looked like, although it can be guessed that they were early Homo sapiens somewhat akin to anatomically modern South Asians. Even the sizes of their settlement are not known due to the limited scale of the evaluation excavations; surface indications are ca. 50 square metres or less per site. That they lived by hunting and gathering is obvious and it is probable that this conformed to the pattern discernible in the activities of their descendants some 100,000 years later. We do know, however, that the physical and biotic environments of these early humans, from the Middle Pleistocene onwards, fluctuated between pluvial and interpluvial episodes (ibid.:178-82,436-40) with corresponding oscillations in animal and food-plant resources which would have been reflected in shifts in human population densities. It is estimated that during certain pluvial episodes in South Asia, as at ca. 125,000 BP, the population density in the Dry Zone of northern, eastern and southern Sri Lanka (for ecozones v. ibid.:app.I) could have ranged between 1.5 and 0.8 individuals per square kilometre, whereas the Wet Zone in the west would have had densities of 0.1 or less. It has been hypothesised that interpluvials witnessed a narrower dichotomy in the zonal population densities, the respective estimates being less than 0.3 for the Dry Zone and over 0.1 for the Wet Zone. These figures are derived from ethnographic sources pertaining to South and Southeast Asian hunter-gatherers. Given the postulated densities of the food supplies, it is unlikely that large communities in excess of a couple of nuclear families were the norm, except perhaps along the northern and eastern coasts with their rich resources of marine foods (ibid.:178-82,436-44).

From about 37,000 BP onwards the prehistoric record is very much more complete. The information stems from a series of cave excavations in the lowland Wet Zone: Fa Hien-lena near Bulathsinhala (37,000-5,400 BP), Batadomba-lena near Kuruwita (31,000-11,500 BP), Beli-lena at Kitulgala (over 30,000-3,500 BP), Alu-lena at Attanagoda near Kegalle (10,500 BP)3 . These data are supplemented by those from the open-air site of Bellan-bandi Palassa near Embilipitiya (6,500 TL BP). The dating is based primarily on radiocarbon assays on charcoal, checked independently against thermoluminescence dating in the case of Beli-lena. There are over 50 such dates from various contexts at these sites and the chronological framework may be pronounced secure (ibid:695-701).

Fa Hien-lena has yielded the earliest evidence (at ca. 37,000 BP) of anatomically modern man in South Asia 4 , followed by Batadomba-lena at 31,000 and 18,000, Beli-lena at 16,000, Fa Hien-lena at 6,900, Bellan-bandi Palassa at 6,500 and Fa Hien-lena again at 4,800 BP. These human remains have been subjected to detailed physical anthropological study and it has been affirmed that the genetic continuum from at least as early as 18,000 BP at Batadomba-lena to Beli-lena at 16,000 BP to Bellan-bandi Palassa at 6,500 BP to the recent Vaddha aboriginal population is remarkably pronounced (ibid:486-9; Kennedy et al. 1987; Hawkey 1998; Kennedy 2000; the earlier material from Fa Hien-lena is too fragmentary for such comparative study). This suggests a backwater in terms of population dynamics. It appears to have been a remarkably static situation over so long a period, relatively undisturbed by the arrival of new populations with diverse physical traits. These anatomically modern prehistoric humans in Sri Lanka are referred to as Balangoda Man in popular parlance (derived from his being responsible for the Mesolithic ’Balangoda Culture’ first defined in sites near Balangoda). He stood at an estimated height of ca. 174 cm for males and 166 cm for females in certain samples, which is considerable when compared with present-day populations in Sri Lanka (v. Deraniyagala 1992:330-4). The bones are robust, with thick skull-bones, prominent brow-ridges, depressed wide noses, heavy jaws and short necks. The teeth are conspicuously large. These traits have survived in varying degrees among the Vaddas and certain Sinhalese groups, thus pointing to Balangoda Man as a common ancestor. It needs to be borne in mind, however, that there would have been unimpeded gene-flow between southernmost India and Sri Lanka (in both directions) from the Palaeolithic onwards, and that future research will probably reveal a whole range of genetic clusters in the prehistoric populations of this region, which would invalidate the concept of Balangoda Man as a homogeneous ’race’. Meanwhile, Balangoda Man continues to be a useful working concept, referring to the island’s late Quaternary humans. He appears to have settled in practically very nook and corner of Sri Lanka ranging from the damp and cold High Plains such as Maha-eliya (Horton Plains) to the arid lowlands of Mannar and Vilpattu, to the steamy equatorial rainforests of Sabaragamuwa. The camps were invariably small, rarely exceeding 50sq.m in area, thus suggesting occupation by not more than a couple of nuclear families at most (id. 1992:351). This life-style could not have been too different from that described for the Vaddas of Sri Lanka, the Kadar, Malapantaram and Chenchus of India, the Andaman Islanders and the Semang of Malaysia (ibid.:412,451-7). They would have been moving from place to place on an annual cycle of foraging for food. The well preserved evidence from the caves and Bellan-bandi Palassa indicates that a very wide range of food-plants and animals were exploited. Among the former, canarium nuts, wild breadfruit and wild bananas are prominent. It is probable that dioscorea yams, such as Dioscorea spicata, D. pentaphylla and D. oppositifolia were staples in the diet, as they were among South Asian hunters and gatherers in recent times. It appears as if every conceivable type of animal had been eaten, ranging from elephants to snakes, rats, snails and small fish (ibid.:451-2). This diet would have been well balanced as attested by the robusticity of the human skeletal remains. The degeneration of bone that accompanies a specialised starchy diet and a sedentary life style had yet to set in.

The tool kit of Balangoda Man is distinguished by the occurrence of geometric microliths, comprising small (less than 4 cm long) flakes of quartz and (rarely) chert fashioned into stylised lunate, triangular and trapezoidal forms (ibid:266-70,688-94). Such geometric microliths have traditionally been considered the hallmark of the Mesolithic period as first defined in Europe. The earliest dates for the geometric microlithic tradition in Europe are around 12,000 BP. Hence it came as a surprise when such tools were found as early as 31,000 BP at Batadomba-lena, 28,000 BP at two coastal sites in Bundala and over 30,000 BP at Beli-lena. Sri Lanka has yielded evidence of this sophisticated technological phase over 19,000 years earlier than in Europe. However this apparent anomaly has been resolved by the discovery of geometric microliths in various parts of Africa, such as Zaire and southern Africa, from contexts in excess of 27,000 BP, thereby suggesting that Europe was late in manifesting this techno-tradition due to as yet undefined reasons.

Apart from stone tools, artefacts of bone and antler are quite prolific from 31,000 BP onwards, notably small bone points (ibid.:278-81). Beads of shell have also been discovered from these early contexts and the occurrence of marine shells at inland sites such as Batadomba-lena points to an extensive network of contacts between the coast and the hinterland. There is evidence from Beli-lena that salt had been brought in from the coast at a date in excess of 30,000 BP (ibid.:326).

Sri Lanka has yet to produce unequivocal evidence of Stone Age art. The cave art observed in various parts of the Dry Zone are the works of Vaddas, as demonstrated by ethnographers, although a certain proportion of it could conceivably be prehistoric (ibid.:465). Similarly there is little evidence of manifestations of ritual. There are, however, clear indications that the norm was for Balangoda Man to inter his dead irrespective of age or sex as secondary burials within his camp floors, having selected certain bones for this purpose. At Ravanalla cave and Fa Hien-lena red ochre had been ceremonially smeared on the bones. Both these practices have been matched by the mortuary customs of the Andaman Islanders, but not by those of the Vaddas. It is possible that the latter, through a process of cultural retrogression, ceased to practise the more elaborate mortuary customs of their ancestors (ibid.:465-7,696).

* * * * * The periodisation of Sri Lanka’s main technological episodes comprises the Middle Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, protohistoric Early Iron Age, Early Historic, Middle Historic, Late Historic and the Modern periods. What concerns the present section is the interface between the Mesolithic and Early Iron Age episodes.

The termination of the Mesolithic and the inception of the Early Iron Age in Sri Lanka has yet to be delineated with any clarity, due primarily to the lack of a single context with evidence of the transition between the two periods: none of the sites excavated so far has been able to present a chronological continuum from pre- to protohistory. In the case of caves the proto- and Early Historic strata have invariably been disturbed by guano diggers, whereas with open-air sites the selection of loci for settlement does not appear to have coincided (owing to different subsistence strategies) during the prehistoric and subsequent periods repectively.

There is palynological (pollen) evidence from the Horton Plains for herding (?Bos indicus) and the incipient management of barley and oats by >15,000 BC and by herding and the farming of barley and oats by 8,000 BC (Premathilake 2000). Then there is Doravak-lena shelter which is said to have yielded a geometric microlithic industry in association with what appears to be a cereal and a crude red pottery by 5,300 BC and Black and Red Ware (BRW) by 3,100 BC (Wiyeyapala in Deraniyagala ip:34, final report pends.). There is also Mantai where a geometric microlithic horizon dated to ca. 1,800 BC was found associated with a few pieces of slag, which could indicate the knowledge of copper-working as manifested in southern India by ca. 2,000 BC 5 . At all three sites, the indications are that settlements suggestive of herding/farming dominating the subsistence strategy are not in evidence. Assuming that the term ’protohistoric’ applies only when over half the nutrient intake is derived from food production (ie, herding/farming) these sites are being assigned to the prehistoric period. But they do represent the transition from prehistory to protohistory in Sri Lanka. It was of considerable duration, ca. 13,000 years, and constitutes a field of research into what is still uncharted terrain. It is probable that from at least as early as 14,000 BC up to ca. 1,000 BC, different subsistence strategies were being employed comtemporaneously, according to the ecological niche being exploited. These strategies could have ranged from one based 100 per cent on hunting and gathering to those with a certain degree of herding/farming with hunting and gathering being still predominant.

The new evidence from the Horton Plains is of the greatest significance (Premathilake 2000). Ghar-i-Mar and Aq Kupruk in Afghanistan and Mehrgarh in Pakistan are known to have had a Neolithic subsistence strategy by 7,000-6,000 BC. There is tentative evidence of herding in northern Rajasthan by 7,000 BC, of rice and pottery at Koldihwa, U.P. in India by 5,000 BC, and perhaps cereal management/farming in the Nilgiri Hills of South India by 8,000 BC (Gupta and Prasad 1985 cited in Premathilake 2000).

It was proposed but not established that Sri Lanka could have constituted yet another ‘hearth’ for the domestication of plants (Deraniyagala 1988; 1992:322,448). And so indeed it has proved to be, comparable to the incipient plant domestication of the Natufian in Syria, Lebanon and Israel (ca. 10,000-8,000 BC) and incipient herding at Zawi Chemi Shanidar and Shanidar in the Zagros and Kurdish hills of Iraq (ca. 9,000 BC). The search for Neolithic/Chalcolithic settlements in Sri Lanka needs to focus on finding faunal or plant domesticates, pottery, or evidence of copper-alloy working, in contexts predating the Early Iron Age. It is probable that these would be found in association with geometric microliths which would otherwise be assigned to the Mesolithic. If is noteworthy that the Neolithic/Chalcolithic stone artefacts in peninsular India display microlithic (Mesolithic) vis à vis blade (Neolithic/Chalcolithic) traits progressively as one moves southwards (ibid.:285-6,297; Allchin and Allchin 1974; 1974a).

EARLY IRON AGE

The protohistoric Early Iron Age appears to have established itself in South India by at least as early as 1,200 BC, if not earlier (Possehl 1990; Deraniyagala 1992:734). The earliest manifestation of this in Sri Lanka is radiocarbon dated to ca. 1000-800 BC at Anuradhapura and Aligala shelter in Sigiriya (Deraniyagala 1992:709-29; Karunaratne and Adikari 1994:58; Mogren 1994:39; the Anuradhapura dating is now corroborated by Coningham 1999). It is very likely that further investigations will push back the Sri Lankan lower boundary to match that of South India.

The settlement at Anuradhapura exceeded 10 hectares in extent by ca. 800 BC, and it was at least 50 ha by ca. 700-600 BC and thus already a ’town’ (Deraniyagala 1992:Addendum I; cf. Allchin 1989:3). So far no other settlements of the Early Iron Age have been located in Sri Lanka (with the exception of the very small-scale deposit within the rock-shelter at Aligala). Potential sites are Kandarodai, Matota (Mantai), Kelaniya and Tissamaharama; but the evidence has yet to surface (Deraniyagala 1992:730-2,735).

The ’Megalithic’ Early Iron Age mortuary complex of Sri Lanka (Seneviratne 1984) is akin to that of peninsular India. It falls primarily, within the protohistoric period, as indicated by its radiocarbon age of 750-400 BC at the only site to have been dated, Ibbankatuwa (v. Bandaranayake and Kilian in Deraniyagala 1992:734). The place of this mortuary trait within the overall Early Iron Age culture in Sri Lanka is as yet indeterminate. It is noteworthy that these cemeteries do not have contemporaneous settlements associated with them, for instance at Ibbankatuwa (Karunaratne 1994). In India this situation prevails at most localities (Deo 1985 cited in Kennedy 2000:356). Conversely, the Early Iron Age settlement at Anuradhapura does not have a Megalithic cemetery to which it can even remotely be linked. The Megalithic mortuary complex could possibly have been associated with just a special group of people, such as pastoralists, on the periphery of those who occupied Anuradhapura (cf. Leshnik 1974). What this signifies is that the Megalithic mortuary trait is but a discrete facet of the protohistoric Early Iron Age culture complex of India which had its distribution from the Gangetic valley down to Sri Lanka with regional variations. Hence it is misleading to refer to a Megalithic culture, as several scholars are apt to, since this mortuary trait is not necessarily a concomitant of the Early Iron Age of peninsular India or Sri Lanka.

Similarly, the BRW ceramic tradition, which characterises much of the subcontinent’s Early Iron Age (except in the northwest) is not confined to the Megalithic mortuary facies in peninsular India, a point that is frequently overlooked. There is a tendency to equate BRW with the Megalithic complex on a one-to-one basis, thereby distorting the basis of interpretations from the outset. It is important, therefore, that the nature of this interrelationship between (a) the total Early Iron Age complex of the sub-continent, (b) its BRW ceramic complex and (c) the Megalithic cemetery complex in southern India and Sri Lanka be kept clearly in mind, so as to avoid confusion in interpreting the archaeological record (Deraniyagala 1992:734). The Sri Lankan data need to be interpreted against the backdrop of the total sub-continental Early Iron Age, since medium- to long-range cultural diffusion appears to have been prevalent.

The biological anthropology of Early Iron Age man in Sri Lanka is distinct from that of Balangoda Man, although the evidence from the only Megalithic site to have been assayed, Pomparippu, suggests a certain degree of miscegenation 6 . This could have occurred considerably prior to 500 BC (and after Bellan-bandi Palassa at ca. 4,500 BC) (Kennedy in Begley et al. 1981; Deraniyagala 1992:736; Hawkey 1998). What attracted these people who intruded on the scene at this early date? It is probable that the agricultural potential of Sri Lanka, notably its abundant supplies of water, with iron technology to subjugate the dense equatorial rainforest and heavy soils, was a major factor. Other attractions could have been the pearl banks in the northwest of the island (for Early Historic v. Mahroof 1992:110), the major copper ore source at Seruvila (Seneviratne 1994) and the island's location as an entrepôt for long-distance trade between Southeast Asia and West Asia 7 . Thereafter, Sri Lanka's attraction for settlers from further afield than South India appears to have gained rapidly. This swell coincided with the so-called Second Urbanisation of the Indo-Gangetic Plain (v. Allchin 1995). As mentioned earlier, Anuradhapura was at least 10 ha in extent by ca. 900 BC (perhaps much more). and by 700-500 BC it exceeded 50 ha. The phenomenon of the Indian Second Urbanisation would appear to have manifested itself unexpectedly early in Sri Lanka, either through rapid stimulus diffusion, or convergent evolution due to a stimulus from further afield such as long-distance trade, or (more likely) a combination of both.

TRANSITION TO THE HISTORICAL PERIOD

The Early Iron Age of Sri Lanka, at ca. 1000-500 BC, is referred to as protohistoric since there is no evidence of writing in this period. At ca. 600-500 BC, the first appearance of writing (in Brahmi almost identical to the Asokan script some 200 years later) heralds the commencement of the Early Historic period (Deraniyagala 1992:739-5; Coningham 1999; Deraniyagala and Abeyratne ip). This writing, radiocarbon dated on charcoal from three locations in the Citadel of Anuradhapura and checked by thermoluminescence dating, is inscribed on potsherds signifying ownership. Among the names was Anuradh..., which, coincidentally or otherwise, is stated in the ancient chronicles to have been the name of a minister of prince Vijaya, the purported 'founder' leader of the Sinhalese, at ca. 500 BC. The new chronology for the beginnings of writing has thus revolutionised our concept of the lower boundary of the historical period of South Asia (for revised periodisation v. Deraniyagala 1992:714). It has pushed it back by at least two centuries ) into the times of the Buddha. Coeval with the first appearance of writing at Anuradhapura is the rise of new pottery forms (such as Early Historic BRW) and wares (eg, a medium-fine grey ware, possibly a North Indian import), red glass beads and what appear to be writing styli made of bone (Deraniyagala 1992:714)8 . One suspects a pan-India wave of cultural impulses that manifested itself in these material transformations. It is possible that some long-distance migrations, as evinced in the legend of Prince Vijaya’s arrival in Sri Lanka from North India, were concomitant to this phenomenon.

The earliest (600-500 BC) inscriptions on pottery at Anuradhapura, whenever adequately complete to be linguistically diagnostic, are in Indo-Aryan Prakrit. This situation is repeated in the earliest inscription found in Megalithic Kodumanal, and possibly in the lowermost levels of Arikamedu as well, in South India (ibid.:745-6; Casal 1949; Rajan 1990). So far, none of them are in Dravidian. If appears to corroborate the view that Indo-Aryan was pre-dominant from at least as early as 500 BC in Sri Lanka, as affirmed in the chronicles concerning an Aryan impulse associated with Vijaya. The views of Parpola (1984; 1988; v. Deraniyagala 1992:749-8) are relevant in this regard. They are bold and provocative, and they merit serious consideration. He postulates long-distance southward migrations of ruling Indo-Aryan elites at ca. 500 BC and argues his case well.

The prime mover for these impulses is difficult to isolate. The urban centres of the Ganges plains could well have constituted the nodes from which they went out, centrifugally, to be developed in the periphery and returned centripetally to these original nodes as a feedback phenomenon, thus creating a relatively closed interactive system. On the other hand, one cannot discount the possibility of inputs at the same time from West Asia, the Mediterranean and China. It is probable that this latter aspect has been greatly underestimated. The idea of devising the Brahmi script might have arisen through contact with Semitic trading scripts from West Asia (Deraniyagala 1992:744; note that long-distance trade could have existed during the protohistoric Early Iron Age extending into Southeast Asia and West Asia). Whatever the mechanism for the onset of urbanism in Sri Lanka, by 500 BC it was ready to accelerate into the Early Historic period.

In the time of Emperor Asoka in the third century BC, the city of Anuradhapura was nearly 100 ha in extent (ibid.:712-3), making it (on present estimates) the tenth largest city in India/Sri Lanka at that time and the largest south of Ujjain in northern India (Allchin 1989:3,12). Buddhism had by then taken root as the formal belief system of the island, coinage introduced and technologically the concept of irrigated agriculture, probably introduced during the Early Iron Age, developed into sophisticated and large-scale systems which served as the economic foundation of the correspondingly complex settlement configurations of the Early Historic period.

Notes

1. Thermoluminescence (TL) date (M. Abeyratne 2000:pers: comm.).
2. TL and Optically Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) dates (M. Abeyratne 2000:pers. comm.; Oxford Archaeological Laboratory 2000:pers. comm.).
3. These are radiocarbon dates (Deraniyagala 2001). Those between 10,000 and 20,000 14 C BP have been calibrated by Beta Analytic Inc. using data base of INTCAL 98 Calibrations
Stuiver, M. and H. van der Plicht 1998- Editorial comment. Radiocarbon 40(3):xii-xiii.
Stuiver, M. et al. 1998- INTCAL 98 radiocarbon age calibaration Radiocarbon 40(3):1041-83.
Mathematics
Talma, A.S. and J.C. Vogel 1993- A simplified approach to calibrating 14 C dates. Radiocarbon 35(2):317-22.
The dates in excess of 20,000 14 C BP are being estimated by adding 4000 years to the radiocarbon age, by compairing with the calibrated ages for the dates immediately preceding 20,000 14 C BP.
4. Niah Cave in Borneo at ca. 40,000 14 C BP has produced the (somewhat insecure) earliest date for Asia. Sri Lankan evidence has been used to support the view that anatomically modern humans originated in South/Southeast Asia and not in Africa (Hawkey 1998).
5. The slag at Mantai, however, could have intruded into the sample from this otherwise carefully excavated context, perhaps through incorrect labelling. No pottery was found in association. Further sampling is required to clarify these points. It is now known that the only major source of copper ore south of Madhya Pradesh in central India is located at Seruvila (the ancient Tambapittha) in eastern Sri Lanka (Seneviratne 1984; 1994). It is very likely that this was known to the Chalcolithic peoples of India and that Sri Lanka exploited this resource. Mantai could well have been a port for shipping copper to India.
Despite the occurrence of copper ores in Sri Lanka, it appears as if copper alloy technology as found in the Chalcolithic of peninsular India (ca. 1,800-1,200 BC) was not adopted significantly in Sri Lanka due to the relative inefficiency of this technology as applied to the island’s agricultural milieu.
6. Dental morphological analyses have established that the Pomparippu humans were ancestral to the Sinhalese, vis à vis the Tamils of northern Sri Lanka (Hawkey 1998).
7. Black pepper in pharaonic Egypt of the 2 nd millennium BC could only have come from Kerala, Sri Lanka or Southeast Asia.
8. Similar bone ’styli’ have been found in the Painted Grey Ware levels of Hastinapura and the pre-NBPW levels of Ujjain and Nagda (Banerjee 1965:204-8), thus indirectly corroborating the dating of the script in Anuradhapura.
References to Literature
Allchin, F.R.
1989 - City and state formation in early historic South Asia. South Asian Studies 5:1-16.
1995 - The archaeology of Early Historic South Asia: part II. Cambridge University Press.
Allchin, F.R. and B. Allchin
1974 - The relationship of Neolithic and late settled communities with those of Late Stone Age hunters and gatherers in peninsular India. In Sharma and Jha ed. (1974:45-66).
1974a - Some new thoughts on Indian cattle. In van Lohuizen-de Leeuw and Ubaghs ed. (1974:71-7).
Bandaranayake, S. and M. Mogren ed.
1994 - Further studies in the settlement archaeology of the Sigiriya-Dambulla region. Sri Lanka: University of Kelaniya, Postgraduate Institute of Archaeology.
Banerjee, N.R. 1965 - The Iron Age in India. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal.
Begley, V., J.R. Lukacs and K.A.R. Kennedy 1981 - Excavations of Iron Age burials at Pomparippu. Ancient Ceylon 4:51-132.
Casal, J.M. 1949 - Fouilles de Virampatnam-Arikamedu. Paris: Imprimerie Nationale.
Coningham, R.A.E. 1999 - The British Sri Lanka excavations at Anuradhapura Salgahawatta 2, volume 1: the site.Society for South Asian Studies monograph 3, BAR international series 824. Oxford: Archaeopress.
Deraniyagala, S.U. 1988 - The prehistory of Sri Lanka: an ecological perspective, 1 st ed. Harvard University, Anthropology Department: Ph.D. dissertation. Michigan: University Microfilms, Ann Arbor publication.
1992 - The prehistory of Sri Lanka: an ecological perspective. Colombo: Archaeological Department memoir 8.
2001 - The prehistory of Sri Lanka: addendum I; the prehistoric chronology of Sri Lanka. http: //www. the - prehistory - of - sri - lanka. de
In press - Administration report of the Director-General of Archaeology for the year 1992. Colombo: Archaeological Department.
Deraniyagala, S.U. and M. Abeyratne. In press - Radiocarbon chronology of Iron Age and Early Historic Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka: a revised age estimate. In Taddei (ip).
Hawkey, D.T. 1998 - Out of Asia: dental evidence for affinities and microevolution of early populations from India/Sri Lanka. Arizona State University: Ph.D. dissertation. Michigan: University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, publication no. DA-9837698.
Karunaratne, P. 1994 - A brief report on the excavation at Ibbankatuva, a proto- and Early Historic settlement site. In Bandaranayake and Mogren (1994:105-12).
Karunaratne, P. and G. Adikari 1994 - Excavations at Aligala prehistoric site. In Bandaranayake and Mogren (1994:55-64).
Kennedy, K.A.R. 2000 - God-apes and fossil men: palaeoanthropology in South Asia. Michigan: University of Michigan Press.
Kennedy, K.A.R., S.U. Deraniyagala, W.J. Roertjen, J. Chiment and T. Disotell 1987 - Upper Pleistocene fossil hominids from Sri Lanka. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 72:441-61.
Kenoyer, J.M. ed. 1994 - From Sumer to Meluhha: contributions to the archaeology of South and West Asia in memory of George F. Dales, jr. Wisconsin Archaeological Reports 3.
Leshnik, L.S. 1974 - South Indian ’Megalithic’ burials: the Pandukal Complex. Wiesbaden: F. Steiner.
Mahroof, M.M.M. 1992 - Pearls in Sri Lankan history. South Asian Studies 8:109-14.
Mogren, M. 1994 - Objectives, methods, constraints and perspectives. In Bandaranayake and Mogren (1994:23-42).
Parpola, A. 1984 - On the Jaiminiya and Vadhula traditions of South India and the Pandu/Pandava problem. Studio Orientalia 55:429-68. Helsinki: Finnish Oriental Society. 1988 - The coming of the Aryans to Iran and India and the cultural and ethnic identity of the Dasas. Studio Orientalia 64:195-302.
Possehl, G. 1990 - Scientific dates for South Asian Archaeology. University Pennsylvania: University Museum. Asian Section, 1.
Premathilake, T.R. 2000 - Late Quaternary environmental history of the Horton Plains, central Sri Lanka. Stockholm University: Department of Quaternary Research. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis.
Rajan, K. 1990 - New light on the Megalithic culture of the Kongu region, Tamil Nadu. Man and Environment 15(1):93-102.
Seneviratne, S. 1984 - The archaeology of the Megalithic Black and Red Ware Complex in Sri Lanka. Ancient Ceylon 5:237-307. 1994 - The ecology and archaeology of the Seruwila copper-magnetite prospect, northeast Sri Lanka.
In Kenoyer ed. (1994:261-80).
Sharma, R. S. and V. Jha ed. 1974 - Indian society: probings in memory of D.D. Kosambi. N. Delhi.
Taddei, M. ed. In press - South Asian Archaeology, 1997. Italy.
van Lohuizen-de Leeuw J.T. and J.M.M. Ubaghs ed. 1974 - South Asian Archaeology, 1973. Brill. Submitted August 2001

HTML@ WWW Virtual Library - Sri Lanka
http://www.lankalibrary.com/geo/dera2.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1114_051114_india.html
Early Humans Settled India Before Europe

Brian Vastag
for National Geographic News

November 14, 2005
Modern humans migrated out of Africa and into India much earlier than once believed, driving older hominids in present-day India to extinction and creating some of the earliest art and architecture, a new study suggests.

The research places modern humans in India tens of thousands of years before their arrival in Europe.
[Western Indologist Aryan invasion theory in :flush ]

University of Cambridge researchers Michael Petraglia and Hannah James developed the new theory after analyzing decades' worth of existing fieldwork in India. They outline their research in the journal Current Anthropology.

"He's putting all the pieces together, which no one has done before," Sheela Athreya, an anthropologist at Texas A&M University, said of Petraglia.

Modern humans arrived in Europe around 40,000 years ago, leaving behind cave paintings, jewelry, and evidence that they drove the Neandertals to extinction.

Petraglia and James argue that similar events took place in India when modern humans arrived there about 70,000 years ago.

The Indian subcontinent was once home to Homo heidelbergensis, a hominid species that left Africa about 800,000 years ago, Petraglia explained.

"I realized that, my god, modern humans might have wiped out Homo heidelbergensis in India," he said. "Modern humans may have been responsible for wiping out all sorts of ancestors around the world."

"Our model of India is talking about that entire wave of dispersal," he added. "[T]hat's a huge implication for paleoanthropology and human evolution."

Per standard AIT , north indians are invaders from Europe
What DNA shows is that north Indians are descended from south Indians
who were the main migrants into India through the coastal route

DNA also shows that India is mostly a people exporter
All non-africans are of Indian descent

Per AIT, Europeans invaded India
DNA shows that Europe was colonised by Indians from Punjab area by 7 separate migrations

DNA also shows that most of the Indian population has been present in India
for over 20k years

Niaz if you want to do your DNA mapping do it from here,
https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

They charge $100 for one time testing of DNA mapping.

AIT has been ABSOLUTELY DISPROVEN, However if you want to say how much present day Hinduism relates with that of Indus valley times, I'd say they relates pretty much the same but we did had evolution inside us as well, many more assimilation of thoughts, many things got introduced, many things got changed over time, practices in different parts etc etc.

I have read so much about the Aryan invasion that I am still not fully convinced. I have, however, always kept an open mind and therefore not going to say that it is wrong; like all other theories it is possible that Oppenheimer could be right. ( By the way did you know that J. Robert Oppenheimer was the chief physicist at the Manhattan project which developped the first ever Atomic bomb during WW2. )
Its not matter of oppenheimer himself but look at kvisild! the infamous Bamshed theory of indian caste which force FED AIT, he was once the author of that but after further research made a COMPLETE U turn!

I dont know where you have read from, but all my articles are cutting edge research not some article of 18th century racist euro-facist peoples, who tried to establish white supremacy and tried to link Christianity with that of Aryan invasion.

It has long been established that Gypsies actually came out of Egypt into Europe ( Egyptians corrupted became gyptians and finally into gypsies). Their origin is most probably Indian and are of the same stock as Banjaras. Many of them still worship Kali Devi and still indulge in petty theft in addition to dancing and singing ( a Banjara is always a Banjara !!). How the gypsies reached Egypt from India in large numbers is a matter for speculation.
Speculation? Dude All every latest research has proved otherwise about the AIT.

Ther are two theories about Garden of Eden. In the Gilgamesh Tablets found in the Babylonian digs, story of Adam and Eve is mentioned and some authors believe Eden to be Bahrain, where sweet water bubbles out from under the sea bed. Some researchers believe that Jews came across this story while in captivity in Babylon and included it in the 'Genesis' part of their Scriptures.

Second theory which I saw in the TV program 'Discovery Science' is that Eden was somewhere near modern Tabriz and Adam and Ever were probably banished for some reason.
Again these are all theories and may or may not relate to what really happened.

However, all of this is a diversion to "Who is Hindu" I have nothing more to add on the main topic.

I dont know where Eden comes here because there is no relation between Aryan invasion theory and Eden.

I saw a programme in doscovery which showed Caves in central Asia where there are ancient drawings whosing peoples migrating from SOUTH ASIA TO EUROPE! they got divided in their way as well.

Tell me do you want more proof? Bring me scientific articles or cutting edge research proving AIT, heavens sake it has been disproved by the whole world scientists other than communists and the Religious fanatics , This is only Genetics, If I start with archeology you'll be startled!!

I can challenge anyone who can prove me AIT based on Genetics and Archeology and all cutting edge research, It has been absolutely proven AIT is total myth.

Geology, genetics, fossil studies, radio carbon dating, archaeology, logic, science, mathematics Cant be replaced by what religion says can it be? I can prove with all the above all has proven AIT to be ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

Dont tell me Philology of bible is more truer than Geology, genetics, fossil studies, radio carbon dating, archaeology, logic, science, mathematics combined.

What does philology tell us? The Bible is correct and there must have been one common language for the whole earth. This must have of course come from the place where Noah landed with his travelling zoo, i.e., Central Asia. All of the earth's inhabitants must be descended from one of Noah's sons. India must have been originally inhabited by the descendents of Ham who was dark-skinned.

Do you think IITians are dduumb morons to fall for this poppycock?

Even in maths, The kerala School of mathematics did many things like pythagoras theorems to etc way before Greece did it, there are books in kerala called as Samitha which deals with secret knowledge.

Read about some here,
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Indexes/Indians.html

I'll finish in laymans term short and simple with a Quote from Aristotle,

Those who (in philosophy) make use of myth are unworthy of serious consideration’.
Aristotle, Metaphysics.

Another fine example through a different angle,

Mitochondrial polymorphisms significantly reduce the risk of Parkinson disease.

van der Walt JM, Nicodemus KK, ...

Mitochondrial (mt) impairment, particularly within complex I of the electron transport system, has been implicated in the pathogenesis of Parkinson disease (PD). More than half of mitochondrially encoded polypeptides form part of the reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide dehydrogenase (NADH) complex I enzyme. To test the hypothesis that mtDNA variation contributes to PD expression, we genotyped 10 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) that define the European mtDNA haplogroups in 609 white patients with PD and 340 unaffected white control subjects. Overall, individuals classified as haplogroup J (odds ratio [OR] 0.55; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.34-0.91; P=.02) or K (OR 0.52; 95% CI 0.30-0.90; P=.02) demonstrated a significant decrease in risk of PD versus individuals carrying the most common haplogroup, H. Furthermore, a specific SNP that defines these two haplogroups, 10398G, is strongly associated with this protective effect (OR 0.53; 95% CI 0.39-0.73; P=.0001). SNP 10398G causes a nonconservative amino acid change from threonine to alanine within the NADH dehydrogenase 3 (ND3) of complex I. After stratification by sex, this decrease in risk appeared stronger in women than in men (OR 0.43; 95% CI 0.27-0.71; P=.0009). In addition, SNP 9055A of ATP6 demonstrated a protective effect for women (OR 0.45; 95% CI 0.22-0.93; P=.03). Our results suggest that ND3 is an important factor in PD susceptibility among white individuals and could help explain the role of complex I in PD expression.

mtDNA haplogroup cluster UKJT reduces the risk of Parkinson's

Ann Neurol. 57(4): 564-567

Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup cluster UKJT reduces the risk of PD.

Pyle A et al

There is increasing evidence that genetic variants of mitochondrial DNA have an important role in the cause of idiopathic Parkinson's disease. We determined the mitochondrial DNA haplogroup of 455 Parkinson's disease cases, 185 Alzheimer's disease cases, and 447 healthy English control subjects. The UKJT haplogroup cluster was associated with a 22% reduction in population-attributable risk for Parkinson's disease. There was no association between individual haplogroups or the UKJT cluster and Alzheimer's disease, confirming that the association with Parkinson's disease was disease specific and not a general effect seen in all neurodegenerative diseases.

K and U (europa) are also firmly anchored in India. infact JT is post neolithic. euro entry of K is just prior to that.

www.flonnet.com/fl1909/19090780.htm
Dissecting Parkinsons

ASHA KRISHNAKUMAR

According to Professor N.H. Wadia, Director, Department of Neurology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai, studies show that the prevalence of Parkinson's disease is the lowest among Nigerians, followed by Chinese, Japanese, Afro-Americans and Indians. The prevalence rate is higher in Western countries. For example, the incidence of the disease among Italians is 11 times higher than among the Chinese. The prevalence of Parkinson's disease varies across communities too. For instance, in India, the incidence of the disease is higher among Parsis. [drift?]

..In India, the crude age-adjusted prevalence rate of Parkinson's disease per 100,000 population is 14 in northern India, 27 in the south and 16 in the east, while it is 363 for Parsis in Mumbai. The rate is 100 to 200 in the U.K.

According to Uday Mutane, Assistant Professor, Neurology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, who analysed neurons in 84 brains from brain banks in London and Bangalore, the loss of pigmented melanin cells in the Substantia nigra is 40 per cent lesser among Indians. The reasons are not clear.

http://www.americanscientist.org/te...etail/assetid/14302;jsessionid=aaacx93NqpBxAe

... a craniometric study by B. E. Hemphill published in 2000 (after Genes, Peoples, and Languages had presumably gone to press) indicates that the Tarim Basin populations had a more complex ancestry than was initially supposed. The earliest groups had their closest affinities with populations from the Indus Valley, and the later ones exhibited affinities with peoples of the Oxus River Valley of south-central Asia, with both groups being considerably divergent from one another. These results argue against a Russian steppe origin for the Tarim Basin peoples...

AAPA 2004

East of Eden, west of Cathay: An investigation of Bronze Age interactions along the Great Silk Road.

B.E. Hemphill.

The Great Silk Road has long been known as a conduit for contacts between East and West. Until recently, these interactions were believed to date no earlier than the second century B.C. However, recent discoveries in the Tarim Basin of Xinjiang (western China) suggest that initial contact may have occurred during the first half of the second millennium B.C. The site of Yanbulaq has been offered as empirical evidence for direct physical contact between Eastern and Western populations, due to architectural, agricultural, and metallurgical practices like those from the West, ceramic vessels like those from the East, and human remains identified as encompassing both Europoid and Mongoloid physical types.

Eight cranial measurements from 30 Aeneolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age and modern samples, encompassing 1505 adults from the Russian steppe, China, Central Asia, Iran, Tibet, Nepal and the Indus Valley were compared to test whether those inhabitants of Yanbulaq identified as Europoid and Mongoloid exhibit closest phenetic affinities to Russian steppe and Chinese samples, respectively. Differences between samples were compared with Mahalanobis generalized distance (d2), and patterns of phenetic affinity were assessed with cluster analysis, multidimensional scaling, and principal coordinates analysis.

Results indicate that, despite identification as Europoid and Mongoloid, inhabitants of Yanbulaq exhibit closest affinities to one another. No one recovered from Yanbulaq exhibits affinity to Russian steppe samples. Rather, the people of Yanbulaq possess closest affinities to other Bronze Age Tarim Basin dwellers, intermediate affinities to residents of the Indus Valley, and only distant affinities to Chinese and Tibetan samples

Oppenheimer also rules out a typological origin for C Asians; they are second only to South Asians in diversity and thus intimately derived from S Asia:

Oppenhiemer page 191:

Nowhere outside of Africa do we find such deep diversity [as in South Asia] except, to a much lesser extent, in Central and North Asia. This picture of Central Asia as another transition zone between East and West is borne out in the rich mixture of European and Asian maternal mtDNA line also found in that region, suggesting that one of the primary splits after the arrival in India was to travel north up the Indus to Central Asia

Basically, we see two parallel intensifications:

1. the undifferentiated type out of india into C asia and N. Asia
2. Mongoloid type out of SEA into Siberia

More beautiful work by the still believer of white a-la white suprematies,

http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/88629/1/

Sri Lanka's History: In Danger of Disappearing
Champika Liyanaarachchi
22 June 2004

One of the most priceless relics here is a female body remains in Bulathsinhala, in Kalutara district in the Western province, which testifies to the consumption of rice, maize and salt.

This body remains embedded in a rock dates back to 30,500 BC and is considered the world's oldest proof of consumption of rice, maize and salt

I dont know how your saying you have read so much on aryan invasion theory, I'm sure you havent read things on scientific front at all.

While geometric tool kits are believed to have first been used by the Europeans in 12,500 BC, similar tools dating back to as early as 28,500 BC were found in two caves in lowlying wetlands in the Sabaragamuwa province.

Dr Shiran Deraniyagala, declared that unless the authorities take immediate action to save the caves, important historical evidence will soon be gone.

He alleged there was an orchestrated move to destroy archeological sites to remove precious artefacts.

Venerable Ellawala Medananda ...The scholar monk alleges there is a planned campaign by anti-Buddhist elements to destroy evidence of the existence of the Buddhist civilization.

I dont know what or where you said 'I have read so much about AIT', i'm sure your not reading the right scientific articles or not going inside the deep geopolitics of this thing.

Joey,

There used to be flash animation map illustrating the migration patterns and major historic events based on the DNA studies. You have the link for it my friend ? I seem to have lost it.

Joey,

There used to be flash animation map illustrating the migration patterns and major historic events based on the DNA studies. You have the link for it my friend ? I seem to have lost it.

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

It only shows DNA chain for starters without going into too much detail, but none-the-less clearly disproves AIT, check how peoples from Africa first reached India through crossing sea and check how it is written 'all non-african peoples are descendents of this group that crossed the sea through arabian peninsula towards India'.

Also explains why you still find one of worlds oldest living tribe the Shompels in Andaman deeo forests.

I have already given this link earlier.

The genetic map stops at 8000 years ago. Aryan invasion/migation was supposedly between 2000 to 1200 BC or from 4000 to 3200 years ago.

No wonder 'No Aryans' . Aryan as a group originated some 5000 years after the map shown in the link Joey posted ends.

Think we are talking cross purposes. The DNA map refers to a period long before recorded history began. Aryan invasion occurred at the dawn of iron age/end of bronze age.

The genetic map stops at 8000 years ago. Aryan invasion/migation was supposedly between 2000 to 1200 BC or from 4000 to 3200 years ago.

No wonder 'No Aryans' . Aryan as a group originated some 5000 years after the map shown in the link Joey posted ends.

Think we are talking cross purposes. The DNA map refers to a period long before recorded history began. Aryan invasion occurred at the dawn of iron age/end of bronze age.

Absolutely wrong and absolutely wrong, the map has nothing to do with the papers I provided you, read all the papers I have you, get the book and read it.

your making the very basic mistake,

Bronze age began WELL BEFORE IN SOUTH INDIA/SRILANKA THAN IN EUROPE and it is Archeological and Genetical FACT.

Your mixing up the map with the papers, no wonder you havent really have read anything into what I'm trying to say.

I'm sorry to conclude that either you have been thinking real superfacially or you have read nothing of the articles I have given,

Craniometric investigation of the Bronze Age settlement of Xinjiang
American Journal of Physical Anthropology
©2003
Brian E. Hemphill 1, J.P. Mallory

Indus Valley samples are identified as sharing slightly closer affinity to samples from Iran and Turkmenistan than to Bactrian samples. Affinities among Indus Valley samples are rather diffuse. In fact, the early sample from western China, Qäwrighul (QAW), is identified as possessing closer affinities to the two samples from Harappa (HAR and CEMH) than exhibited by the third Indus Valley sample, Timargarha (TMG). The remaining samples form a loose cluster composed of sedentary agricultural groups from Iran (TH2, TH3, and SHS) and Turkmenistan (GKS, ALT, and KAR), as well as steppe samples from the Caucasus (SAMB) and Tajikistan (TMM).

Turkmenian samples from Geoksyur (GKS) and Altyn depe (ALT) serve as a phenetic link between Indus Valley samples (HAR, TMG, and CEMH) that feature the closest affinities to one another. In a departure from the results obtained by WPGMA analysis, the sample from Kara depe (KAR) occupies a unique position among Turkmenian samples by exhibiting much closer affinities to Iranian samples (especially TH3 and SHS) than to samples from Bactria.

An examination of this array confirms the patterns of interregional affinities identified by neighbor-joining cluster analysis (Fig. 3). Hainan (HAI) reflects the most divergent sample. The two later western Chinese samples, Krorän (KRO) and Alwighul (ALW), feature the closest affinities to Sapalli (SAP), the earliest of the Bactrian samples. Two of the samples from Turkmenistan (Altyn depe (ALT) and Geoksyur (GKS)) span the phenetic space between Iranian samples and Bactrian samples, with Geoksyur exhibiting closer phenetic affinities to Bactrians (especially the latest sample, Molali (MOL)), while Altyn depe shares closer phenetic affinities to Iranians. The steppe Bronze Age sample from the Caucasus (SAMB) represents a phenetic outlier to all other samples, exhibiting only a very distant affinity to the sample from Altyn depe. Indus Valley samples share rather close affinities to one another but are strongly segregated from all other samples, except the early western Chinese sample from Qäwrighul (QAW)...

Once again, the two later western Chinese samples, Krorän (KRO) and Alwighul (ALW), exhibit the closest affinities to the earliest Bactrian sample, Sapalli (SAP). Bactrian samples (SAP, DJR, KUZ, and MOL) exhibit the closest affinities to one another. The two Turkmenian samples from Geoksyur and Altyn depe occupy an intermediate phenetic position between Bactrians and northern Iranians, in which the former (GKS) shares the closest affinities with the latest Bactrian sample (MOL), while the latter (ALT) shares the closest affinities with the earlier northern Iranian sample (TH2). Indus Valley samples (HAR, CEMH, and TMG) are located in the lower left of this array and, once again, the earliest western Chinese sample, Qäwrighul (QAW), is identified as possessing closer affinities to Indus Valley samples than to samples from any other region. Standing somewhat in contrast to results obtained by other analyses, principal coordinates analysis identifies an especially close affinity between the Late Bronze-Early Iron Age sample from the Swat Valley of Pakistan (TMG) and the early northern Iranian sample (TH2). As with other analyses, this array also indicates that the Turkmenian sample from Kara depe (KAR) is strongly separated from other sedentary Turkmenistan samples, but unlike other analyses, principal coordinates analysis indicates that this sample possesses no close affinities with any of the other samples considered.

Nevertheless, there is no support for the hypothesis that steppe populations contributed significantly to Bronze Age populations of the Tarim Basin. Despite numerous similarities between Afanasievo and Andronovo artifacts and Bronze Age artifacts from Xinjiang (Bunker, [1998]; Chen and Hiebert, [1995]; Kuzmina, [1998]; Mei and Shell, [1998]; Peng, [1998]), all analyses of phenetic relationships consistently reveal a profound phenetic separation between steppe samples and the samples from the Tarim Basin (Qäwrighul, Alwighul, and Krorän). Further, neither of the later Tarim Basin samples from Alwighul or Krorän appears phenetically closer to the Han Chinese sample from Hainan, thereby indicating an absence of East Asian influence in these samples.

Second, none of the Tarim Basin samples, not even those that postdate 1200 B.C., exhibit any phenetic affinities to any of the steppe samples included in this analysis.

The absence of close affinities to outside populations renders it unlikely that the human remains recovered from Qäwrighul represent the unadmixed remains of colonists from the Afanasievo or Andronovo cultures of the steppelands, or inhabitants of the urban centers of the Oxus civilization of Bactria...

The results, however, fail to demonstrate even a low-level phenetic affinity between Qäwrighul and either steppe samples or samples from Oxus civilization urban centers. Not only is there no evidence for substantial immigration into the Tarim Basin by populations of these two adjacent regions; it also appears unlikely that either steppe populations or Oxus civilization populations served as a source of any significant gene flow commensurate with the appearance of the Bronze Age occupation of Qäwrighul. ..

The second alternative explanation to account for the human remains from Qäwrighul is that they are the product of emigration from a source area other than the Russo-Kazakh steppelands or Oxus civilization urban centers. While the results obtained indicate that there is no evidence that gene flow from either steppe or Oxus civilization populations led to the establishment of the Qäwrighul population, all analyses, except neighbor-joining cluster analysis (Fig. 3), disclose a low-level affinity between the Qäwrighul and Indus Valley samples. Such affinities could be indicative of some early interaction between the populations of these two regions. The implications of such early interaction are potentially profound.

In a reversal of mainstream thought on a western Asian homeland (Urheimat) and eastward dispersal of Indo-European languages into Central Asia and India (Burrow, [1973]; Gamkrelidze and Ivanov, [1990]; Mallory, [1989]; Renfrew, [1988]), there is a body of scholars who have vigorously argued for an Indo-European homeland in the Indus Valley of India and Pakistan (surveyed at length in Bryant, [2001]), or that Indo-European languages disseminated from a locus somewhere in the vicinity of ancient Bactria-Sogdiana (Nichols, [1997], p. 137; see also Sargent, [1997]). If true, the dispersal of these Indo-European languages may have been accompanied by immigration and some gene flow from the Indus Valley homeland to the various historical seats of the Indo-European languages. In this way, Tocharian languages found in the Tarim Basin would be attributed to the influx of populations from Bactria whose ultimate derivation may be traced to the Indus Valley of India and Pakistan.

as usual, the hard facts are not allowed to speak for themselves and get overruled by various prejudiced notions. same is the case here also.

..all results indicate that these later inhabitants of the Tarim Basin manifest a unique affinity to Bactrians.

In summary, the SSVC ethnics migrated directly to the Tarim area. There was subsequent overlay of local Afghanis ("Bactrians") around this SSVC nucleus. The later afghani overlay also corresponded with a move north into the Oxus basin.

Am J Phys Anthropol. 2004 Apr;123(4):351-60.

Genetic analysis and ethnic affinities from two Scytho-Siberian
skeletons.

Ricaut FX, Keyser-Tracqui C, Cammaert L, Crubezy E, Ludes B.

Laboratoire d'Anthropologie Moleculaire, Institut de Medecine Legale,
67085 Strasbourg, France.

We extracted DNA from two skeletons belonging to the Sytho-Siberian
population, which were excavated from the Sebystei site (dating back
2,500 years) in the Altai Republic (Central Asia).
Ancient DNA was
analyzed by autosomal short tandem repeats (STRs) and by the
sequencing of the hypervariable region 1 (HV1) of the mitochondrial
DNA (mtDNA) control region. The results showed that these two
skeletons were not close relatives. Moreover, their haplogroups were
characteristic of Asian populations.
Comparison with the haplogroup of
3,523 Asian and American individuals linked one skeleton with a
putative ancestral paleo-Asiatic population and the other with Chinese
populations. It appears that the genetic study of ancient populations
of Central Asia brings important elements to the understanding of
human population movements in Asia. Am J Phys Anthropol, 2003.
Copyright 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

It is becoming clearer that European culture is a Mongol/Indo-afghan hybrid. Dr. Elst traces millet production around the Black Sea to Central Asia and eventually to North China. Indo-Afghans were the occupiers of this region as well as evidenced by teh Pontic Sindoi-Indoi (Cuphes-Kubha, ). The "animal art" of the Celts is also directly traceable to Mongol-Siberia, as well as the mound shaped burials. And of course, we all knw that the horned Cerunnos on the Gundestrop cauldron is directly relatable to SSVC representations.

'Out of Asia: Dental Evidence for Affinities and Microevolution of Early Populations from India/ Sri Lanka.'

Dental morphology technique used by Dr. Hawkey

Dr. Dane Hawkey used the new technique of dental morphological analysis to reach her astounding conclusions. It works on the basis that the form and structure of human teeth are determined overwhelmingly by genetic factors rather than environmental influences. This method is certainly more reliable than anthropometrical measurements like height, head form, nose form or cranial capacity as such characteristics could be altered by environmental factors over a long time period.

Says Director General, Archaeology Department, Dr. Siran Deraniyagala, "Dental morphology is an excellent tool to assess physical affinities between different human groups."

For her research, Dr. Hawkey analysed skeletal remains of the so-called 'Balangoda Man' dating back 5000-40,000 years. These were excavated from the caves of Fa-Hien Lena, Batadomba Lena and Beli Lena, as well as the open air burial site at Bellanbadipallassa.

She also studied the remains of the community that occupied the megalithic (or early iron age) site at Pomparippu, near Puttalam. Also analysed were the teeth of Veddas collected during the 19th and early 20th century, southern Sinhalese, and Tamils mostly from the North.

Dental morphology is considered a credible technique, along with analyses of Gm and HLA blood systems, mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosome DNA. Such methods should be used concurrently with archaeological, natural historical/environmental and linguistic studies. This approach would lead to a more reliable reconstruction of the origin and evolution of the different populations in the Indian sub-continent and Sri Lanka.

Dr. Deraniyagala asserts that biological anthropological analyses of present day populations are essential for future comparative studies.

Dr. Hawkey's study also debunks the myth that Dravidians are descended from the inhabitants of the great pre-historic Indus Valley Civilisation of Harappa. It concludes that Harappans and East Indian Austro-Asiatics resemble Sinhalese in dental traits much more than Sri Lankan Tamils, peninsular Indians or South Indian tribal groups.

Interestingly, the Harappans (who practised international trade) also display dental similarities with Egyptians and Nubians who lived in the second millennium B.C. The available evidence indicates a genetic inflow into Egypt from North West India in ancient times. Furthermore, the ancient Egyptians possessed only few dental similarities with the populations in Sub-Saharan Africa.

From Srilankan Archeological Directors Desk , the article I gave you earlier, quoting it,

....There is palynological (pollen) evidence from the Horton Plains for herding (?Bos indicus) and the incipient management of barley and oats by >15,000 BC and by herding and the farming of barley and oats by 8,000 BC (Premathilake 2000). Then there is Doravak-lena shelter which is said to have yielded a geometric microlithic industry in association with what appears to be a cereal and a crude red pottery by 5,300 BC and Black and Red Ware (BRW) by 3,100 BC (Wiyeyapala in Deraniyagala ip:34, final report pends.). There is also Mantai where a geometric microlithic horizon dated to ca. 1,800 BC was found associated with a few pieces of slag, which could indicate the knowledge of copper-working as manifested in southern India by ca. 2,000 BC 5 . At all three sites, the indications are that settlements suggestive of herding/farming dominating the subsistence strategy are not in evidence. Assuming that the term ’protohistoric’ applies only when over half the nutrient intake is derived from food production (ie, herding/farming) these sites are being assigned to the prehistoric period. But they do represent the transition from prehistory to protohistory in Sri Lanka. It was of considerable duration, ca. 13,000 years, and constitutes a field of research into what is still uncharted terrain. It is probable that from at least as early as 14,000 BC up to ca. 1,000 BC, different subsistence strategies were being employed comtemporaneously, according to the ecological niche being exploited. These strategies could have ranged from one based 100 per cent on hunting and gathering to those with a certain degree of herding/farming with hunting and gathering being still predominant.

The new evidence from the Horton Plains is of the greatest significance (Premathilake 2000). Ghar-i-Mar and Aq Kupruk in Afghanistan and Mehrgarh in Pakistan are known to have had a Neolithic subsistence strategy by 7,000-6,000 BC. There is tentative evidence of herding in northern Rajasthan by 7,000 BC, of rice and pottery at Koldihwa, U.P. in India by 5,000 BC, and perhaps cereal management/farming in the Nilgiri Hills of South India by 8,000 BC (Gupta and Prasad 1985 cited in Premathilake 2000).....
http://www.lankalibrary.com/geo/dera2.html

People in north and south India belong to the same gene pool: ICHR Chairman
T.S. Ranganna
http://www.hindu.com/2006/06/24/stories/2006062412870400.htm

ABOUT HISTORY: (From left) Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research D.N. Tripathi, Vice-Chancellor of Bangalore University H.A. Ranganath, and former ICHR Chairman M.G.S. Narayanan releasing lecture-series publications of the ICHR, in Ba ngalore on Friday. — Photo: K. Murali Kumar

BANGALORE: Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) tests of blood samples from people in the Indian subcontinent have confirmed that the human race had its origins in Africa and not Europe or Central Asia as claimed by a few historians.

The test has classified the people in north and south India as belonging to one gene pool, and not different ethnic groups such as Aryans and Dravidians.

Giving the information to The Hindu here, Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research D.N. Tripathi said geneticists from Pakistan had collected samples for genetics analysis of the people of Indian subcontinent and sent them to cellular and molecular biology laboratories in the U.S. Scientists in Pakistan concluded from the test results that the human race spread out of Africa 60,000 years before Christ. They settled in the subcontinent. Geneticists in Pakistan concluded that people living in the northern and southern regions of India and those in the West Asian region were from the same gene pool, he added.

Asked about the argument of many historians tracing the lineage of people in north India to Aryans, Prof. Tripathi said test results had proved this wrong. "We have the results of studies. The conclusion of some historians that Aryans came here 15,000 years before Christ does not hold water," he added.

Publications released

Earlier, Prof. Tripathi presided over a function at which lecture-series publications of the ICHR's southern regional centre were released. He appealed to Vice-Chancellor of Bangalore University H.A. Ranganath, an expert in genetics, to encourage research and lectures on the subject. The ICHR, he said, was ready to cooperate.

Prof. Tripathi said the ICHR was engaged in genetics and linguistic studies on inscriptions from the days of the Vijayanagar Kingdom. Inscriptions collected from south India would be made available in six CD-ROMs, he added.

M.G.S. Narayanan, former ICHR Chairman, released publications.

Prof. Ranganath advised students and members of faculty of all the university departments to interact with historians to preserve their knowledge for future generations.

I suggest you stress on this paragraph,

From the book. Page 116.
by oppen..
South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17 and his ancestors; and sure enough we find highest rates and greatest diversity of M17 line in Pakistan, India and eastern Iran and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is not only more diverse in south Asia than in Central Asia, but diversity characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a "Male Aryan Invasion" of India. One age estimate for the origin of this line in India is as much as 51,000 years. All this suggests that M17 could have found his way initially from India or Pakistan through Kashmir, than via Central Asia and Russia, before finally comming to Eruope.

Please remember that even minor movements within civilizations such as India and China are faithfully recorded while comparatively major ones in the asian backwaters will hardly be remembered by anyone, if at all noticed. The ones that we do know about such as those of the Huns, Mongols, and Sakas are only known through their peripheral impacts upon the two great Asian sister civilizations of India and China. Even so, these so-called horde invasions in the east always come from the east itself and are most characteristic of Mongolians and Altaics and hardly of such ancient white trash as the ruskis, etc. Even the Hyksos horde, which pinched Egypt, was a semetic one- where they came from and how they originated among the semetics is conveniently glossed over as that would dispel the europeanist delusion of aboriginal albino hordes invading the east. The Hittites are definitively known to have entered from the East and probably belonged to the same wave as the authentically Indic Mittani and Kassites. I see the slow, measured movements of the Kurds, Iranians, and Gypsies as models for successive Indic colonizations of Northern Asia. Greeks are well known as a minor sub-branch of our Parsee cousins.

Here Oppenheimer turns the conventional wisdom about Central Asia as a melting pot upon its head. Of course, he goes beyond the typical eurocentric garbage to rely upon dead solid genetic evidence:

Pg 149-150

A third of today's Central Asian genetic stocks are west Eurasian 'Nasreen' maternal lines. Half of these consist of HV stock. The usual explanation for this 'Europe in Asia' presence is a recent eastward emigration along the Silk Road. the problem with this argument is that HV's common European daughter V, who might be expected to have joined such a movement, is absent from Central Asia. Furthermore, most of the other West Asian Eurasian Nasreen lines in Central Asia look more like they have come directly from India than from Europe. In other words, HV could have originally come from South Asia, round the east of the Caspian Sea, and then gone the other way, westward into Europe. There is Y-chromosomal support for this view of an alternative east-west route for South Asian genetic clans entering Europe via a Central Asian detour.

Some more evidence that caste indians are derivatives of the so-called aboriginals...
Science, Vol 308, Issue 5724, 996 , 13 May 2005

Reconstructing the Origin of Andaman Islanders
Kumarasamy Thangaraj,1 Gyaneshwer Chaubey,1 Toomas Kivisild,2 Alla G. Reddy,1 Vijay Kumar Singh,1 Avinash A. Rasalkar,1 Lalji Singh1*

The origin of the Andaman "Negrito" and Nicobar "Mongoloid" populations has been ambiguous. Our analyses of complete mitochondrial DNA sequences from Onges and Great Andaman populations revealed two deeply branching clades that share their most recent common ancestor in founder haplogroup M, with lineages spread among India, Africa, East Asia, New Guinea, and Australia. This distribution suggests that these two clades have likely survived in genetic isolation since the initial settlement of the islands during an out-of-Africa migration by anatomically modern humans. In contrast, Nicobarese sequences illustrate a close genetic relationship with populations from Southeast Asia.

More evidence of the overwhelming east-to-west gradient. There is a parallel migration from Southeast Asia (Haplo F) to Central Asia and eventually to Eastern Europe. Iranians, Croats are all derived populations from this South/Southeast Asian expansion.

Madagascar populated from Africa and Borneo

The Malagasy people of Madagascar carry the genes from ancestors in both nearby East Africa and also distant Borneo suggesting a big migration from Asia back to Africa 2,000 year ago, British researchers reported on Tuesday. The genetic study supports the puzzling finding that the Malagasy language more closely resembles Indonesian dialects than east African tongues but does little to answer the question of how the settlers arrived.

Madagascar, the largest island in the Indian Ocean, lies 250 miles off the coast of Africa and is 4,000 miles from Indonesia. Its long isolation has led to the evolution of unique animals, including lemurs, rare birds and plants. A team of genetics experts at the universities of Cambridge, Oxford and Leicester looked at both the Y chromosomes of Madagascar residents, inherited virtually unchanged from father to son, and the mitochondrial DNA, passed directly from mothers to their children.

Tiny mutations in these two forms of DNA provide a kind of genetic clock that can help scientists trace human migration and inheritance. The results showed clear similarities to sequences found on the island of Borneo, now shared by Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. “The origins of the language spoken in Madagascar, Malagasy, suggested Indonesian connections, because its closest relative is the Maanyan language, spoken in southern Borneo,” said Matthew Hurles, of the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute at Cambridge, who helped lead the study.

“Malagasy peoples are a roughly 50:50 mix of two ancestral groups: Indonesians and East Africans. It is important to realize that these lineages have intermingled over intervening centuries since settlement, so modern Malagasy have ancestry in both Indonesia and Africa.” The findings suggest a substantial migration from southeast Asia between 1,500 and 2,000 years ago, the researchers report in the American Journal of Human Genetics.

So lets make it short and to find your point which is absolutely wrong look here,

Figure 1.3 on page 135 of the book derives euro mtdna lines J and T1 from the Near East at dates a few thousand years after 10K BP. All these lines had originally come out of india. Also the route taken by gypsies into the balkan heartland for Europe is the prototype for indian migration via the Mideast conduit. Again, the value of Oppenheimer is the overarching pattern he proves for east to west transmission.

Oppenheimers histogram shows expansion of J ( from Near East into Europe ) a few thousand years after the 10K mark.

Haplogroup J is also called HG9

According to Kivislid,

Indians appear to display the higher diversity both in haplogroups 3 and 9 -- even if a pooled sample of eastern and southern European populations was considered. If we were to use the same arithmetic and logic (sensu haplogroup 9 is neolithic) to give an interpretation of this table, then the straight-forward suggestion would be that both Neolithic (agriculture) and Indo-European languages arose in India and from there, spread to Europe.

This means that both markers previously used to mark the so-called "IE Speakers" - M17 and HG9 - have LOCAL indian origins.

http://evolutsioon.ut.ee/publications/Kivisild2003a.pdf

Some more for you,

http://flonnet.com/fl2213/stories/20050701000106500.htm

Unearthing a great past

T.S. SUBRAMANIAN
Photographs: A. Shaikmohideen

http://flonnet.com/fl2213/images/20050701000106501.jpg
The centrepiece of the discoveries is this potsherd with the motifs of a woman, a stalk of paddy, a crane, a deer and a crocodile

THE Iron-Age urn-burial site at Adichanallur, about 24 km from Tirunelveli town in southern Tamil Nadu, has attracted nationwide attention for three important findings: an inscription in a rudimentary Tamil-Brahmi script on the inside of an urn containing a full human skeleton; a potsherd (fragment of broken earthenware) with stunningly beautiful motifs; and the remains of living quarters (rampart wall, potters' kilns, a smith's shop and so on) close to the site.

The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) started digging the site in February 2004, about 100 years after the last excavation activity there. :( It is an extraordinarily large urn-burial site spread over 114 acres (45.6 hectares) on a low, rocky hillock on the right bank of the Tamiraparani river, close to a lake and surrounded by paddy fields and banana plantations. The first phase of excavation in 2004, stretched between February 4 and July 5. In the six trenches that were dug then, the ASI ran into a range of spectacular finds. Each trench was a square, 10 metres by 10 metres. T. Satyamurthy, Superintending Archaeologist of the ASI, Chennai Circle, is the overrall director of the excavation.

A total of 157 burial urns were found, 57 of them intact and 15 with complete human skeletons inside. Many of the urns, especially those that contained human skeletons, were covered with another urn, in what is called a "twin-pot" system. They had been buried after cutting the rock in circular pits, into which the urns were lowered in a three-tier formation. The earliest burials formed the lowermost tier, which left enough space above to accommodate future burials.

Among the artefacts discovered at the burial site were a profusion of red ware, black ware, black-and-red ware, copper bangles, copper ear-rings, iron spear-heads, terracotta lids with tiered knobs, terracotta vessels that could be used both as lids and as bowls, globular vessels and long-necked utensils. There were vases, pots with exquisite decorations, broken daggers and swords made of iron. There were also Neolithic celts, iron implements, urns with clan marks and urns with hooks inside.

The urns with skeletons had inside them empty miniature vessels, rice, paddy and husk. The miniature vessels were of three types: bowls, small vases and pots. Made of polished blackware, they are thought to have had religious significance. These small vessels invariably had their lids on. The lids were decorated with dotted, floral or geometrical designs and were painted. Some lids had tiered knobs that looked like chess pieces

One urn had the skeletons of a mother and a child. Some skulls had disintegrated, the bones had become fragile. Some urns were broken, and were filled with earth, obviously the handiwork of treasure-hunters. Three copper bangles and some copper chisels were also found at the site.

Outside, around the urns, were bigger pots, which were red ware. Iron implements, knives, daggers, spearheads and Neolithic celts used in farming were found around the urns. Some pots rested on ring stands of different shapes. The lids came in different shapes - conical, globular, and so on. More than a thousand pot-vessels were unearthed intact. Lots of terracotta beads in conical shape and hop-scotches were found.

What is fascinating is the discovery of urns with clan/tribe marks. Some urns had ornamentation such as thumb-nail impressions running all round the neck. The clan marks included three lines separating out from the top, with knobs, and garland-like designs.

Satyamurthy called the Adichanallur burial site "the earliest site in Tamil Nadu" and was sure that its history would go back to 1,000 B.C. "In our excavation, we have come across a culture earlier to the megalithic period. It is a well-stratified culture. The pottery is typologically different from that of megalithic pottery," he said. (According to archaeologists, the Iron Age in South India stretched between 1500 B.C. and 300 B.C. The Iron Age and the megalithic age were contemporaneous in South India. The Iron Age signifies the beginning of civilisation).

The centrepiece of these discoveries is the potsherd with motifs in appliqué designs. It was found inside an urn which had a human skeleton. At the centre of the motifs is a tall, slender woman with prominent breasts and wearing a knee-length dress. Her hands are clinging to her sides and the palms seem to be spread out. Next to her is a sheaf of standing paddy and a crane is seated on the paddy stalk. There is a beautiful, young deer with straight horns and upturned tail. There is also a crocodile, and a knob mark. The appliqué designs were made using clay. A small thin rope was used to bring about the serrated effect in each motif.

Satyamurthy called the potsherd "a unique find because no such motifs have been found so far in burial sites in Tamil Nadu. These motifs resemble pre-historic cave paintings found in central Tamil Nadu, including Erode and Dharmapuri districts." Archaeologists are agreed that the depiction of the woman signifies the mother-goddess/fertility cult.

G. Thirumoorthy, Assistant Archaeologist, ASI, Chennai Circle, who led a young team during the first phase of the excavation (other members were M. Nambirajan and P. Aravazhi), also said that the potsherd was "a unique find in the excavation of the Iron Age period, especially in South India." In other urn-burial sites in India, potsherds with such appliqué motifs have not been found so far. One expert, who found them "amazing" and "fantastic", said these motifs could be as old as 700 B.C. Arun Malik, Assistant Archaeologist with ASI, said: "Normally, such motifs are not found on pottery as they are generally seen only in pre-historic cave paintings."

Thirumoorthy said: "Adichanallur shows the importance given to the dead in Tamil society. The excavation reveals the mode of burial practice, the disposal of the dead, the religious beliefs prevalent then, and the socio-economic conditions of the people who lived here at that time."

The inhabitants of Adichanallur used an ingenious method to bury their dead. Thirumoorthy pointed out that these megalithic people were intelligent and had foresight because they used barren and not agricultural land to bury their dead. Besides, the urns were buried on a hillock, where they could not be flooded by the nearby river or the lake. "This is actually, a rocky hilly area. The urns were inserted after cutting the rocks in pit forms. It is not like digging the earth or sand. This is laborious work. Their intention was to accommodate the burials that would come later. That is why they went as deep as possible," he said. They obviously used iron crowbars to cut the rocks. The crowmarks on the sides of the pits could still be seen.

The excavation has brought to light the town's fortification/rampart wall, which was made of mud with stone veneering in parts. Three potters' kilns with ash, charcoal and broken pots were found, confirming, according to Satyamurthy, that this was a habitational site. "It looks like a crowded town which was busy. On the one side is the burial site. Within 500 metres you have the kilns, which means life was active. It may have been an urban centre," he said.

Nambi Rajan said the trenches revealed a man-made floor paved with lime plaster. There were holes on the floor to hold posts. . A few individual letters in Tamil-Brahmi script have been found on potsherds. Plenty of potsherds with graffiti, especially the ladder symbol, have been unearthed. Artefacts unearthed include carnelian beads, terracotta beads and so on.

Some specialists are of the opinion that Adichanallur must have been a busy mining and industrial centre. The making of bronze figurines, iron implements such as swords, daggers and arrow-heads and big urns showed that it was a busy industrial township, they say.

Remember niaz these are only a few of Genetical proofs, If I start with archeology things would go limitless.

I have given you the national geograaphis genome project link, get your DNA test done, it'll ciost $100, but you'll get to know where your ancestors came from.

I have told earlier the map is a simplificative version to show world human movement with natural disasters and does not goes into any detail of any invasions but stresses into the natural big calamities happened and a commong route.

I have provided you more than enough EVIDENCE to prove my point, Kindly check the paragraph in brown that debunks completely what you thought of saying and the subsequent article by Kivislid.

You cannot prove Carbon dating, archeology, genetics, mathematics, logic wrong.

The fact remains that to explain the genetics of Indians, the presence of Europeans is inconsequential. However, to explain the genetics of Europeans, a profound Indian ancestry must be taken.

If you want to say how much of what has changed between Indians living now and Indians of then, or is Hinduism the way we see today is exactly the way thigns were in indus valley time? answer is NO there has been hundreds of reforms inside reforms, addition of foreign to local thoughs , practices inside it though keeping the books same.

However if you say AIT happened, thats some hoards of BS, better prove it with Carbon Dating, Dental mapping, Genetics, Archeology, Mathematics, Habitats, etc etc.

I'm only defending Science, not even bible and not even my religion.
I have told you the AIT theory proposers theory of proposing it on the basis of Noahs Arc, which is ABSOLUTELTY RIDICULOUS.

The proposers of AIT argues with philoology in light of Bible and some other baseless facts, for them I'll quote him again,

Aristotle, Metaphysics.

There's a lot of mistakes in this thread. First of all I'd like to make one thing totally clear. What the Indians are referring to here as "India" is actually the region of Pakistan, the Indus. In fact not much of the history of what is being talking about refers to Bharat proper, as I call it.

Btw, it's my first post..Hi to all.

Actually the word 'hindu' is derived from the Avestan word for Sindhu (Indus river). Sindhu is Avestan became 'Hind'. Btw Avestan is the precursor for Persian/Farsi and was extremely similar to Sanskrit like all Proto Indo European languages are.

Totally wrong Srirangan. Hindu is derived from the Vedic word "Sindhu", Avestan is a separate language classification used in a different locale during Vedic times. The precursor of modern Persian/Fars was Old Persian, with Avestan developing alongside itm but Avestan language grew to be extinct with no related descendant (see any language map).

Contrary to niaz's conclusions; it has nothing to do with "blacks" or skin color or ethnicity in general. It was at most a geographic term, which the English education (aka indoctrination) system adopted and thus now has become the defacto term being used incorrectly.

Agreed. Hindu was in reference to Sindhu, which was the area of modern day Pakistan, not India. However, what the people of the Indus practised was not Hinduism, but Vedism, a completely different religion/way of living to modern day Hinduism in India - Modern day Hinduism and traditional Vedism in ancient Pakistan (Saptha Sindhu, or as the Greeks called it Haptha Hindu), are not the same

Niaz, I read the part where you posted about Dev Indra killing "black" Dravidians. That is uneducated to fight the least. Dev Indra fought with "Asuras". Interestingly the Zorastrian god was called 'Ahura' Mazda. Just as Sindh became Hind, Ahura became Asura. So you deduction that "dev indra" killed blacks is as ill informed.

Sindh never became Hind. Hind was the Perso-Greek pronunciation of Sindh i.e. Hind.

Indra was an Aryan God of the Vedic Aryans, the central figure of the Rig Veda, that became reduced to a secondary figure in some of the later Dravidianized texts that were written from Bharat.

The Aryan invasion theory is a big myth in itself. Just because a 19th century German historian wrote it doesn't mean it has much merit to it. While different ethnicities have existed in the Subcontinent, the only invasions recorded in history were the Greeks, Huns, Arabs and Mongols (Turks to a lesser extent).

The Aryan invasion only occurred into what is today Pakistan, and Punjab of India. Everywhere else in the subcontinent is pretty much Dravidian.

So where does the factual backing for 'Aryan Invasion' come from is still a mystery.

Genetics

Being 'Aryan' or as it is scientifically termed 'Indo-European' is not a racial grouping but rather a linguistic group. So get over the race obsession! :)

The term Aryan is currently a linguistical grouping. The 72% "Aryan" India figure is simply a statistics used to denote Aryan speaking Dravidians. However, the Aryans were a historical group of people, as the Rig Veda, which was written in Pakistan attest to.

Will get through the rest another day I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom