What's new

Who can counter USA in future - China, Russia, EU, Japan?

globall

New Recruit

Reaction score
Since the end of the cold war and the collapse of the Soviet Union no country has been in a position to counter the United States globally as the other superpower, the way USSR did. This has made USA very bold to do anything unilaterally anywhere in the world. Do you think some country would rise up and take the place as the second global superpower challenging the USA as USSR did and recreate balance of power in the world? If so which country do you think would it be? China, Russia, United Europe or Japan. Please post your opinions. Thanks:welcome:

Russia and China are not in good relationships with USA. The East Side Of Atlantic Ocean (without EU) are against USA policies. Japan has only one policy, to develope more its technology,and nothing else.

Maybe in this list we can add Iran which is strong-antagonist to USA.

The only possibility in view today is China. To counter the US the nation will have to be as economically and militarily strong as the US and non-democratic. The US would co-operate with any democratic nation rather than be "balanced" by it. So China, as an authoritarian state, is the most likely to become an opponent in the bi-polar manner that characterized the US/USSR Cold War.

As far as countering USA goes, China would be the best bet.

China has the most number of properties which USA will have problem with or can complain to the world about...

first and foremost...
the superpower stature
then the democracy issues
the economic issues
human rights, less likely a problem to the US but they will project this as a cause

The Chinese are very hard working people and I dont think they are obsessed about having a superpower status like the US is.

Almost every product in US has a "Made in China" label, so let the Chinese work hard and let the world enjoy their products.

:cheers:

You also realize that in terms of potential-China has the biggest potential, but US is already trying to straitjacket China to limit it to Asia, just like China has tried to limit India to South Asia.

All you need to do is setup the perfect counterweight.

China has done it most effectively by arming and aiding Pakistan. Thus India remained absorbed with Pakistan and South Asia primarily all these decades.

US OTOH, is trying to limit China, by propping up Japan militarily. You see that Japan now has a MoD, its under another ministry. But the signs are absolutely unmistakable. This was a damned huge step for Japan. Their military budget has been increasing, and signs of allowing the military back are there. US is encouraging this. They have also started helping India a LOT. This also doubly limits China. India has broken free of the South Asian straitjacket by means of sheer economic might, if India is able to maintain that, then CHina has a competitor in India, who fights for clout with China in Asia and beyond.

Then there's Vietnam, South Korea, etc, etc.

There is just one basic premise-to be a superpower in the globe, you have to be an unchallenged power in your continent. Now, you can be unchallenged by either making friends with your biggest competitor, or dominate them militarily and culturally and economically. US has that in the America's. Russia had that in the Soviet block, China doesnt in Asia.

"I dont think they are obsessed about having a superpower status like the US is..."

America remains an immensely productive country with a very talented workforce. They wake up daily without obsessing about having a superpower status. They just do their jobs, raise families, and watch a bit of T.V. in the evening. That's all their day allows.

If China is wearing blinders and following their own advice, good on them. It's the only way in the end. For all the help that others can provide, there's nothing like finding and using your own solutions.

The PRC may challenge America some day. Or not. It doesn't matter to me. To reach our level of success will mean that a couple of billion people are living immeasurably enriched lives as I don't see America just dropping off the map.

Finally, don't be surprised in the PRC wakes up one day and finds that it's no need for Chairman Mao's little red book. Authoritanian in fact if communist by name.

That might change too. In 1965 there was no way I could imagine the PRC as it's viewed today.

None.

Japan?...interesting.

It is widely known in the US and properly the world that China is the next power challenging the Great S@tan economically, politically and militarily.

I think India is at a good stand. According to the recent survey , middle class indians are the most well paid. Average income of indian community is $90000
per year. While American national average is $50000.

I think India is at a good stand. According to the recent survey , middle class indians are the most well paid. Average income of indian community is $90000
per year. While American national average is $50000.

India has over 35% of its population living below the poverty line, thats more than 350 million people, that's more than America's entire population (rich, middle class, poor) combined. India has a looooooong way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom