What's new

Where to find the best street food in Asia

All hail the chicken and rice stand on 53rd and 6th!

Asian street food is awesome. I've been to enough countries in that glorious part of the world to know. :tup:

I agree with Sashan. If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

It's soooo good. Used to go there all the time back in NYC.

201112261411224846.jpg

春卷 chunjuan (Crispy! egg rolls)

baozi1.jpg

狗不理 Tianjin meat buns

sticky-rice-roll.jpg

粢饭 sticky rice rolls with pork floss/preserved veggie/ youtiao (deep fried dough-stick) fillings

c87c0195-d214-4e7d-ac1f-15f960470de1.JPG

豆沙锅饼 doushaguobing ( beignet filled with sweet red bean paste )

20110410health02.jpg

台湾贡丸 Taiwan gongwan mushroom and pork meat balls (or beef / fish (plain or fried) balls, squid (cuttlefish) balls in soup

1334106445utRF95iL.jpg

糖葫芦 (或 杂果: 猕猴桃,草莓, 凤梨, 苹果等) tanghulu - sugar glazed bird pears or assorted fruits (kiwi fruits, strawberries, pineapple, apple …)

%E8%9A%9D%E4%BB%94%E9%A5%BC.jpg

蚝仔饼 haozaibing ( scrambled egg pie with clams and scallions)

mhqx.com_20090104083807.bmp

红豆糕 hongdougao sweet red bean (or green bean, sesame) cakes

1_172806_1.jpg

港式 干炒牛河 gang shi gan chao niu he - Hongkong styled wok fried flat rice noodles with sliced beef, bean sprouts, scallions and soy sauce

1167909243.9198154.jpg

扬州炒饭 yangzhouchaofan - Yang Zhou fried rice

59407717_57b8d42572_o.jpg

肉丝炒面 rousi chaomian - wok fried noodles with meat strips and bean sprouts

j-00049b.jpg

雪菜肉丝汤面 xue cai rou si tangmian - meat strips with preserved cabbage and noodles in tasty stock

ok.JPG

炸酱面 zhajiang mian - noodles mixed with hot and spicy minced/diced meat, mushroom and bean paste: (thin-stripped cucumber optional or bean sprout)

%E8%92%B8%E8%82%A0%E7%B2%89.jpg

各式 肠粉 assorted changfen - steam rice flour rolls with selected fillings (BBQ pork, shrimps, minced beef, shredded roast duck meat, veggie mushrooms ...or just plain (no fillings) - dipping in light soy sauce

201210111349946014616.jpg

港式蛋挞 Hongkong styled egg tarts

1261057937_29_1.jpg

猪扒包 zhupabao - pork chop bun (popular in Macau and HK)

All hail the chicken and rice stand on 53rd and 6th!

Asian street food is awesome. I've been to enough countries in that glorious part of the world to know. :tup:

I agree with Sashan. If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Once in a month would walk with my wife all the way from Grand Central to Chinatown and back stopping by Kabob stands, Belgian Waffle stands - didn't know that the best place is the highlighted. Thanks for the tip. Will try it out next time.

@Sashan - hw have been bro ?

Meant to ask you the same - Thought about you few days back and felt you had exams or something and I saw few postings today and I knew you are back again with a bang. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
200903091947224647.jpg

萝卜丝饼 loubosi bing - deep fried shredded radish and wheat flour cakes

1109152O3Y.jpg

生煎包 shenjianbao - pan fried meat buns (optional springled with sesame seeds and spring onion on top)

201208221601335727.jpg

帕尔木丁 paermuding - Chinese Uighur‘s spiced mutton crusty pastries/ small pies

yuntunmian2.jpg

广州/香港 云吞面 - Guangzhou / Hongkong yuntun fine noodles (Angel hair) in fish stock (云吞 yuntun or 馄饨 huentun = shrimps or meat veggie fillings in thin egg and flour sheet wrapper - similar to Italian ravioli )

3573_P_1325036379559.jpg

沙琪玛 shaqima - syrup glazed chunky fried dough strips pressed together and cut into bite sized cake-cubes

36fenpibaocai.jpg

粉皮 fengpi - hot and spicy bean/potato flour broad noodles served cold or hot with chili. soy sauce, minced ginger and other optional toppings like ground meat, coriander, scallion, fried peanuts ...

ee4a5cb776393ce3766249f75f24fd8b

奶油炸糕 naiyou zhagao - deep fried fluffy butter doughs sprinkled with frosty/ white granulated sugar ( kinda like donuts)

liZ7XbM20VTpQ.jpg

驴打滚 ludaguen - sticky rice rolls with sweat red bean paste fillings and soya bean powder coating

Amoy Street Food Centre 7 Maxwell Rd. (Telok Ayer St. / Amoy St.), Singapore

Built in 1983, the two-storey food centre is located within the central business district. Housing many well-known stalls, the centre has evolved into a favourite lunch venue for executives working near Shenton Way. Be spoilt by the choice of hawker fare at affordable prices!

The Amoy Street Food Centre where I see many people eat the fried chicken rice in front one of the stall
IMG_0867.JPG

Satay with spicy peanut sauce
IMG_0788.JPG

Katong Keah Kee fried oyster omelet, the chef told me it took him 10 years of constant practice under the supervision of his father to make them perfect. In return I needled him: '' It's the temperature precision of the oil that makes the omelet, not you". He stared at me dumbfound.
IMG_1063.JPG

Oyster omelet with hot sauce on the side - perfect food to ruin you dietary, but then, one can always make a new resolution in a couple of weeks
IMG_1065.JPG

BBQ stingray with giant crawfish that taste like prawns. I let myself go just for this time, I told muself
IMG_1066.JPG

I order a few cups of freshly made sugarcane juice to wash down those oily frysies. Hmm, no wonder I prefer Mexican cokes over regular cokes - the sweetness is sugarcane is unmatched by corn syrup.
IMG_1068.JPG

Late afternoon still many people here. Why people must eat, as I walked lazily out of the door.
IMG_0787.JPG

Inventive Hongkong Chefs created this famous and yummy dish without any linkage to Singapore:

1.jpg

星洲炒米粉 xingzhou chao mifen - wok fried curry-flavoured vermicelli with shrimps, BBQ pork dices/ham, spring oniom, onion, red and green pepper ...

Lau Pa Sat Hawkers' center

18 Raffles Quay | Chinatown, Singapore.

Lau Pa Sat near the downtown financial center, steps away from Amoy Street Food Centre
main_vis.jpg

The famous La Pa Sat near the financial district is packed with the business crowd, but the lines move fast
IMG_0999.JPG

This stall, the Shanghai Xiao Long Bao, has all sort of soups to go with its main product - famous Shanghai steam dumplings
IMG_1001.JPG

Since you can eat the dumplings with you hands and drink soup without staring at it, you might want to see how chefs make their fresh noodles in another stall.

Hmm, the dumplings are good I think I'm ready for my 4th serving
IMG_1004.JPG

After 4 serving of dumplings and two bowls of hot and sour soups I'm ready for my usual greasy Chicken murtabak
IMG_1005.JPG

I stole a couple pieces of fatty fried pork bellies from my companion's plate while she loses on thoughts in the noodle making process.
IMG_1007.JPG

I felt bad later so I order this to share.
aphoto103029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meant to ask you the same - Thought about you few days back and felt you had exams or something and I saw few postings today and I knew you are back again with a bang. :)

Yeah bro..had my finals going. Now vacations have started. So wassup ? Hey, you from CT right..hws the mood there right now ?

Yeah bro..had my finals going. Now vacations have started. So wassup ? Hey, you from CT right..hws the mood there right now ?

So are you off to India for vacation or you are here?

The Newtown incident has brought in a sombre mood for many here. My wife and myself felt so gloomy that we have stopped watching news or talk about it and I have not been to facebook much in the past week or so as many of my friends post some personal experiences including my ex-boss who lived in that town for 20 years. But everyday there is something to remind me of that incident - I went to the local hospital yesterday and bought a coffee in the cafeteria and they said it is free and requested me to remember the victims. So sad bro.

Pandi: an Indian Chef in China's Hefei

He came to east China's Shanghai as a cook in 2010. Before long he went to Hefei and continued his roti prata works. Roti prata is a kind of traditional snacks in India which is quite popular among the folks. Pandi mastered the roti prata skills in a culinary school of his hometown, Chennai.

Everyday at the launch and dinner time, Pandi shows up at his operating table to serve the customers in the restaurant. After a series of process including kneading, rotating and flipping, a mass of dough gradually turned into a piece of thin, large pancake.

After being fried with diced fruits or chive, the golden roti prata was served in porcelain plates for the customers to take. For most people who eat in the restaurant, not only Pandi's Roti prata are feasts to the stomach, but also the making process is a feast to the eyes.

Pandi learned the Chinese language after he arrived in Shanghai. It not only brought him the opportunity to chat with customers, but also a group of Chinese friends. He likes to hang out with his friends after work, sometimes going to the karaoke, sometimes simply a chat over coffee.

On his future plans, Pandi says that he has heard lots of interesting places in China and he would like to visit them one by one. But after the tour, he will come back to Hefei. "I've got a lot of acquaintance here, so living in Hefei makes me happy," Pandi said.

Pandi throws a piece of pancake as he makes a roti prata in a buffet restaurant in Hefei, capital of east China's Anhui Province, June 14, 2012. Pandi, a 35-year-old man, now works in a buffet restaurant in Hefei, making India roti prata.

F201212111610482604132396.jpg

F201212111610482446922025.jpg

F201212111610481649520921.jpg

F201212111610482730222609.jpg

F201212111610481108330620.jpg

F201212111610483236018298.jpg

F201212111610488147228461.jpg

F201212111610483271146866.jpg

Back
Top Bottom