What's new

Where is the independent investigation into PK 661?

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Since 1947 Pakistan has had 7 major air crashes or major flight incidents in her 70-year history. The latest being Pakistan International Airlines flight 661, from Chitral Airport to Islamabad Airport which failed to make it to its destination; Crashing in Havelian, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on 07 December 2016.

In 2014 Pakistan announced National Air Transportation Safety Board Act, 2014. The purpose of NATSB was to conduct an independent investigation into air crashes that resulted in injury or loss of life due to partial damage or complete destruction of aircraft, due to any reason whether technical or otherwise. However, despite NATSB's sole purpose being to conduct an independent investigation into any air crash within Pakistan or any Pakistani aircraft flying abroad, the responsibility of investigation fell to Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority.

Civil Aviation Authority is responsible for regulating airlines, flying schools and other flight related infrastructures within the country for a safe working environment, efficient and swift moment of air traffic and reducing the chances of air incidents taking place. Around the world Civil Aviation Authorities do not conduct investigations into air crashes, this is because it reduces the chances of hiding mishaps by the CAA. The United States has National Transportation Safety Board for conducting investigations into air crashes, after an investigation is complete the NTSB recommends changes in regulation to the Federal Aviation Authority (The US version of CAA). It is up to the FAA to decide whether they accept the recommendations. Despite Pakistan having an independent body to investigate air crashes, the responsibility to find out the reason behind the crash still falls to the CAA.

It has now been nearly a year since Pakistan International Airlines Flight 661 crashed, claiming 47 lives. At the time of the crash the aircraft was 9 years old and had recorded 18,739 flight hours. The aircraft was a French made ATR-42, which has a good safety record overall. An initial report by the CAA claimed to have said the cause of the crash to be due malfunction of the number one engine at an altitude of 13,375Ft, it’s claimed the pilot of flight 661 declared a mayday at 16:12 which was followed by an uncontrolled descend.

A year on there has been no final report published by the Civil Aviation Authority and no press conference held to discuss the finding with the public and the media.

I have attached a copy of NATSB Act, 2014.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have tagged the people who were very active on the PK661 forum, maybe they can add or answer some of my questions about CAA and NATSB. Thanks!

@SherDil, @Khafee, @Dawood Ibrahim, @Imran Khan, @war&peace, @Garfield, @Well.wisher, @airmarshal, @Peaceful Civilian, @Kaptaan, @waz, @New World, @Musafir117, @Dijan, @ACE OF THE AIR, @Syed.Ali.Haider

The fault was identified with shoddy maintenance. Given the condition of PIA, whether procedures have been improved is highly unlikely.

The fault was identified with shoddy maintenance. Given the condition of PIA, whether procedures have been improved is highly unlikely.
It is now one month away from being a year since this sinister crash took place, despite having the black boxes intact and having maintenance data available the CAA has failed to submit a final report on the crash and I have not seen any initial report on Fight 661 as well. Under the law of the land (NATSB Act, 2014) CAA does not have the right or the privilege to conduct an independent investigation due to the Authority having internal links with Civil Aviation law makers. The duty falls to the NATSB, where are they? Why isn't the NATSB investigating the crash?

It is now one month away from being a year since this sinister crash took place, despite having the black boxes intact and having maintenance data available the CAA has failed to submit a final report on the crash and I have not seen any initial report on Fight 661 as well. Under the law of the land (NATSB Act, 2014) CAA does not have the right or the privilege to conduct an independent investigation due to the Authority having internal links with Civil Aviation law makers. The duty falls to the NATSB, where are they? Why isn't the NATSB investigating the crash?

Pakistan's history shows that final reports are never made public. Why expect something different now?

Pakistan's history shows that final reports are never made public. Why expect something different now?
Final reports have been made public before, here's the final report for Airblue Flight 202.

Under Pakistan's Freedom of Information Act it is a requirement for the report to be made public.

Final reports have been made public before, here's the final report for Airblue Flight 202.

Under Pakistan's Freedom of Information Act it is an requirement for the report to be made public.

Let me just say that those reports are not completely robust. The substantive issues never see the light of day.

Under Pakistan's Freedom of Information Act it is a requirement for the report to be made public.

Sure. And Pakistan is not supposed to have missing persons either. The law is not worth the paper it is printed on usually.

Let me just say that those reports are not completely robust. The substantive issues never see the light of day.

Sure. And Pakistan is not supposed to have missing persons either. The law is not worth the paper it is printed on usually.
I understand your point and I agree with them however it is one crash too many... I as a Pakistani citizen demand and request for the report to be made public and the government of Pakistan or CAA can not stop that from happening as I am rightfully in my legal rights. I also know my demands are worth nothing.

The main question that I want answered is WHERE is the NATSB in this investigation? Not a single word by the authority. Why is CAA investigating the accident?

last update - on Oct 28, 2017 PIA flight 661 crash investigation has entered final stages
Thank you and I guess CAA is investigating the crash? What about NATSB?

I understand your point and I agree with them however it is one crash too many... I as a Pakistani citizen demand and request for the report to be made public and the government of Pakistan or CAA can not stop that from happening as I am rightfully in my legal rights. I also know my demands are worth nothing.

The main question that I want answered is WHERE is the NATSB in this investigation? Not a single word by the authority. Why is CAA investigating the accident?

I appreciate and support the assertion of your legal rights as a citizen of Pakistan. If only more people demand this too, we could get real change to happen.

There was another crash, during Zardaris time, on approach to ISB by Air Blue I think. Flt was from KHI to ISB, has the details of that crash been released? and it's victims heirs compensated?

Sorry for being off topic.

There was another crash, during Zardaris time, on approach to ISB by Air Blue I think. Flt was from KHI to ISB, has the details of that crash been released? and it's victims heirs compensated?

Sorry for being off topic.
Your not off topic at all, the report was released and I did attach it in one of my posts above. I'll attach it again.

Airblue Fight 202 - Final Air Crash Report

To my understanding there were no changes made into flight regulations by the CAA and that's the reason why I am stressing about the importance of an independent body to investigate air crashes (which is The National Air Transportation Safety Board).

Not sure, if I should be disclosing what really happened to this flight.
If you Google "Airblue Flight 202 Final Report" however the report might have been leaked by Dawn News or maybe CAA decided to publish the report it self. I didn't get my hands on the report through anyone but the internet.

What do you mean by "I"?
BTW @Khafee I appreciate your interest into the matter. Means a lot, thanks!

If you Google "Airblue Flight 202 Final Report" however the report might have been leaked by Dawn News or maybe CAA decided to publish the report it self. I didn't get my hands on the report through anyone but the internet.

Officially, the final report is the established cause.

Officially, the final report is the established cause.
The report was written by:
COMPOSITION OF INVESTIGATION TEAM​
Team Members
1) Investigation In Charge (IIC), Safety Investigation Board, PCAA
2) Ops Member, PCAA
3) Tech Member, Safety Investigation Board, PCAA
4) Medical Member, PCAA
5) ATS Member, PCAA
6) Airworthiness Member, PCAA
7) Airblue Acc Member
8) PAF Acc Member

Back