What's new

When was the Trojan War first known to Arabs?

ThunderCat

Reaction score
Important note: This is a question about military history. Please be aware of this fact before accusing me of posting a "non-defense topic."

So I read that Homer's Iliad was first translated into Arabic as late as the ninth century AD. This apparently inspired Arabic epics like Sindhbad.

But prior to this, what knowledge did Arabs have of the supposed ten year siege of the western coast of Eurasia, many centuries before Arabs themselves became a world power? I've seen some pics from a museum in Syria depicting small walled statues of the Trojans carrying their dead leader, presumably Prince Hector.

Could Arabs have attained info of the war prior to the ninth century such as from Assyrian sources? Could Prophet Muhammad have learned of this great epic war when he visited modern day Syria, both as a trader's student and later as a prophet?

Anything on this topic would be very interesting to me.

Last edited:
Many thanks but can't read it because the article requires subscription.

Trojan War archaeological depictions dating back to 1st century BC are found 1000s of kilometre far away in India and Afghanistan possibly brought by Alexanders armies and later preserved by indo-greek kingdoms in NW India and Bactria(now Afghanistan). Ancient Arabs like Ancient Romans and Egyptians who live close to greek homeland possibly have known it much much earlier.

Trojan War archaeological depictions dating back to 1st century BC are found 1000s of kilometre far away in India and Afghanistan possibly brought by Alexanders armies and later preserved by indo-greek kingdoms in NW India and Bactria(now Afghanistan). Ancient Arabs like Ancient Romans and Egyptians who live close to greek homeland possibly have known it much much earlier.
If so, then found in the historical India according to Herodotus- Land of the Indus, today's Pakistan. This is where the Indo-Greek King thrived.

The rest is probably correct like those museums of walled statues in Syria. I wonder when ancient Arabic texts first mentioned the war.

Reason is Arabs conquered the Levant area within the last two thousand years, which brought them closer to Greeks geographically.

I'm also wondering when the works of Herodotus were translated into Arabic. Herodotus mentions the Trojan War but did not believe it to have occured according to the Iliad. He was described as "a critic of Homer."

Also forgot to add to what the Indian gentlemen wrote. Yes the Trojan War became known where Greeks went.

It is claimed Alexander worshiped Achilles and even claimed him as an ancestor. Alexander even carried a copy of the Illiad written about five centuries before his own time.

Back
Top Bottom