What's new

When was the best time to live in 'your city' ?

@lastofthepatriots almost everyone who visited bhawalpur liked it, it's like a jewel in the middle of cholistan desert

Someone who visited bhawalpur was very surprised that y'all have McDonald's there lol cause people genuinely thaught it's a very small city, so not much is known about bhawalpur but everyone who visited it seems to like it

It’s better that less people know about it. I guess that’s why it’s one of the cleanest cities in Pakistan.

There is a kfc, Pizza Hut or dominos, forgot which one and some other shit there too.

It’s the city of palaces and nawabs.

Another fun fact. The University in Bwp, Islamia University is the biggest University in Asia in terms of campus size or area of land size.

Yes.

Do you mean that kind of city is no longer there in China? China is big, there should be smaller cities like that.
A small number of such communities may exist in some cities. But it is unlikely that there will be a city full of such communities.
This kind of community is usually popular in the 1990s.

Last edited:
I lived in NYC and Lahore, currently live in suburbs of a mid tier city so it doesn't matter, I am just chilling

NYC as long as rents are under control is an awesome city in almost every way (except for homelessness, in 90s I heard crime was a big thing but not now)

Lahore is/was and hopefully will always be great but late 90s, 2000s was something else
Basant festival was celebrated with more zeal than even Eid (maybe bakar Eid was better), I can't express how cool basant was we used to have BBQ, I remember singing and bhangra, we used to blast out basant cassettes and ofcourse staying on rooftop all day,boy's used the festival as an opportunity to find girl friends (not the western kind lol, not sexual kinda thing) doing"patangbaazi", our family members used to fly out from Europe just for basant,

Most famous basant song, everyone from the city would Remember it

Lahore without basant is nothing man 😢, now it's banned and they use drones to catch you

View attachment 878880

Also sometimes decorations to celebrate spring time
View attachment 878915
View attachment 878884
In summer time people used to head towards "nehar" for swimming
View attachment 878883

And I remember boating clubs were a thing too back in the day, I don't know now

Food was always good

Concert's we're a thing too, Ali Zafar, abrar ul haq, Ali Azmat all the musicians were basically from Lahore so concerts and music festivals were a big thing

I especially love abrar ul Haq, this was famous during that time 😂🤣
But than war of terror started peaking in late 2000s and it's just not the same thing anymore, I'll be honest

I think there's a societal PTSD and post WOT city, culture, festival, society vibes are different

I don't know about rest of the country but it certainly changed Lahore, it's still beautiful if anything bit more devaloped than before with metro bus and train, flyovers , posh housing societies etc but overall things are different
@Kambojaric @_NOBODY_ @Paitoo @-=virus=- @Great Janjua
Our prime minister was an expert patangbaaz 😁
Here's old school videos of basant from 2000s, city used to earn billions of PKR from it (cause it's a city based festival, wasn't very popular outside the city- down the line it may have but not originally)
I wish they bring it back with more safety checks 😔

Last edited:
Our lahoriya prime minister was an expert patangbaaz 😁
Here's old school videos of basant from 2000s, city used to earn billions of PKR from it (cause it's a city based festival, wasn't very popular outside the city- down the line it may have but not originally)
Patangs are generally associated with 15th August celebrations. I was always terrible at flying them.. doubt I ever got one of the ground even but we'd buy loads of all sorts from this old school little shop (old mullah uncle ji, incidentally) .. then there were manjas (crushed glass thread which could really hurt you) of various gauges too.. Think they got banned a while ago but "panjai ladao/patang kaato" .. that was fun to watch.. and the stray "Dead" one that would gently fall to the ground and kids would go running to claim it.. aahhh.. the old old pre internet/pre cable tv 80s days :)

woh bhi ek zamana tha

@Paitoo probably knows them times

As someone who grew up in multiple cities N-S-E-W of India, I have often wondered what was the best time to live in them. I currently reside in Bangalore, which almost everyone agrees was best before 2000. It is a titanic mess now. I have lived in Mumbai too, and I feel the best period was the 1960s. The city was not bursting at its seams, there was a hippy vibe to it, liberal in every sense (still pretty much is). Kolkata's golden age was probably pre-Independence, and Delhi probably in Mughal era LOL. I have never found any post independence period of Delhi to be good, though I have a soft corner for 80s as I did my schooling there that time.

What was the best time for cities like Peshawar, Lahore, Karachi, Multan etc? I was glancing through some pics of old Karachi and Peshawar on this forum and that's what got me thinking. I am someone who is very tied to the city I live in. I explore every nook and corner and learn about its history and live like the locals. What do Pakistanis have to say about their own?
The history of civilization is a history of cities; I think, living in the city is your current time because the city's condition is representing the condition of your era. The most tangible representation of the zietgest (spirit of the era) you occupy in history.

When the road is not flooded, traffic is not high and you can get cheap and delicious food.
I'm not a city person.

80's perhaps was the best time to live regardless of city. Then life started changing and not for good but for bad.

You are living my dream :cry:
As much as I love Mumbai I really would love to live in Goa.
aaja, worth it hai, can be done not super expensively too (of course, depending on what kind of place you fancy)

Man, a lot of people are ditching the big cities post pandemic, chaska lag gya logon ko, lots are moving out, have been for years. Pondicherry is also a hot favorite, or else hills side for Dilli walas etc.. Mussoorie/Dehradunh outskirts, Simla, the region surrounding Manali.. even though some places you cant truly freehold (100 year lease type hota hai, some legal bs)

China, Qinghai Province, the Sky's Mirror City.

IMG_20220915_124655.jpg
IMG_20220915_124702.jpg

I wish they bring it back with more safety checks

@Paitoo probably knows them times

I was a patangbaaz during my school days. Wasn't very good and my kite was mostly cut down by guys from the neighbourhood. I never used the sharp manja but something called 'saddi' if you are familiar with the word. Naturally I had to lose.

Manja is quite dangerous. There have been multiple of cases of people getting their throat slit. The most recent one I remember was when a small girl sticking her head out of the a car's sunroof died because of it. I have friends who had their limbs broken while chasing kites over terraces (patang lootna).

I was a patangbaaz during my school days. Wasn't very good and my kite was mostly cut down by guys from the neighbourhood. I never used the sharp manja but something called 'saddi' if you are familiar with the word. Naturally I had to lose.

Manja is quite dangerous. There have been multiple of cases of people getting their throat slit. The most recent one I remember was when a small girl sticking her head out of the a car's sunroof died because of it. I have friends who had their limbs broken while chasing kites over terraces (patang lootna).
yeah, manja vs saddi.. or whatever that non lethal non glass shards thing was.. couldn't "fight" with it but.. very bad for birds etc too apart from a lethal hazard to commuters.

that culture is mostly gone among those who have kamao'd paisa etc.. aaj kal ke bacche are more into gaming and tech stuff, which is a bit of a shame, really.

How things change..

Our prime minister was an expert patangbaaz 😁

Basant was something else and Lahore has not been the same since the ban. Used to be the highlight of the year for us, especially comparing our hands the day after in school/college to see whose hands were in a worst state.

I think in general Lahore was at its peak up till the late 60s. Since then the population has multiplied without proper management. The generation of the 40s and even 50s will tell you that androon shehr used to be full of gardens when they were growing up. Today it's a concrete slum.

That's not surprising as the city's population was half a million in the 40s. 70 years later it was 11 million.

It’s better that less people know about it. I guess that’s why it’s one of the cleanest cities in Pakistan.

There is a kfc, Pizza Hut or dominos, forgot which one and some other shit there too.

It’s the city of palaces and nawabs.

Another fun fact. The University in Bwp, Islamia University is the biggest University in Asia in terms of campus size or area of land size.
Good hope Bahawalpur prospers in the right direction fingers crossed like you said it does not attract 3rd class local "Tourists" who have shafted this country from Northern Areas down till Balochistan.

Basant was something else and Lahore has not been the same since the ban. Used to be the highlight of the year for us, especially comparing our hands the day after in school/college to see whose hands were in a worst state.

I think in general Lahore was at its peak up till the late 60s. Since then the population has multiplied without proper management. The generation of the 40s and even 50s will tell you that androon shehr used to be full of gardens when they were growing up. Today it's a concrete slum.

That's not surprising as the city's population was half a million in the 40s. 70 years later it was 11 million.
Basant was good up until people started using lethal dors or string to fly thier kites which in turn caused harm to kids and bikers some even dieing due to injuries to the throat.

Good hope Bahawalpur prospers in the right direction fingers crossed like you said it does not attract 3rd class local "Tourists" who have shafted this country from Northern Areas down till Balochistan.
You know Bahawalpur was a rich city during nawab's era, they used the river system to trade and became a commercial center
Poor guys were attacked by both Afghans, Sikhs but managed to survive and thrive through war and diplomacy , than were also instrumental in Pakistan

I haven't visited the city but I have a lot of love for the district and city, Bahawalpur is a place I want to visit to see the Palaces , it's history

I hope they develop a tourism industry and also ofcourse trade just like the olden days

Back
Top Bottom