What's new

When are you most creative - What does it take - For writers on PDF

RAMPAGE

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
  1. Which part of the day do you feel most creative in?
  2. When and where do you do your brainstorming?
  3. Do you have a separate space where your thought process is at its best and where you put your thoughts into writing or do you simply turn on you laptop and write whenever or wherever you feel like it.
  4. If you're a fiction writer, do the characters in your stories reflect your own personality? If yes then how often?
These questions are for every member who likes to write. It can be anything. Doesn't matter if your work is private or unpublished.

3. Do you have a separate space where your thought process is at its best and where you put your thoughts into writing or do you simply turn on you laptop and write whenever or wherever you feel like it.
  4. If you're a fiction writer, do the characters in your stories reflect your own personality? If yes then how often?
These questions are for every member who likes to write. It can be anything. Doesn't matter if your work is private or unpublished.

I am not creative, I react. So it is no part of the day that is good for me, or distinguished from other parts in any particular way.

As to when, it is whenever the occasion presents itself, in the form of something that needs to be said, desperately urgently. It happens in unexpected fashion. Yesterday somebody posted about KPK increasing its education budget by 100%, and that inspired a note which summed up my four years of frustration. It happens when it happens.

No separate space. Either at my desk, looking out of the window on a strip of green, or lying down as I am now, writing on my laptop.

Everything I write is personal and self-expressive. These thoughts, sentiments, emotions and the whole body of reasoned argument are not a party line, these are what I feel. I get angry, while onlookers are surprised; I get angry because these are emotive as much as they are ratiocinative, and to have either the foolish, or the knavish or foolish knaves playing with it is a clarion call to battle.

Every body is not a writer but every body can write something (oxymoron)

It all depends on the subject matter of your liking or interest
The time of the day does nt matter

There are so many things happening all around us ; in this world but everything does not
TUG your Heart strings or evoke feelings of disgust

It is Only when we are sufficiently interested in any matter or subject
that we can put pen to paper

I am not creative, I react. So it is no part of the day that is good for me, or distinguished from other parts in any particular way.

As to when, it is whenever the occasion presents itself, in the form of something that needs to be said, desperately urgently. It happens in unexpected fashion. Yesterday somebody posted about KPK increasing its education budget by 100%, and that inspired a note which summed up my four years of frustration. It happens when it happens.

No separate space. Either at my desk, looking out of the window on a strip of green, or lying down as I am now, writing on my laptop.

Everything I write is personal and self-expressive. These thoughts, sentiments, emotions and the whole body of reasoned argument are not a party line, these are what I feel. I get angry, while onlookers are surprised; I get angry because these are emotive as much as they are ratiocinative, and to have either the foolish, or the knavish or foolish knaves playing with it is a clarion call to battle.
I'll be the judge of that. That is if you'll oblige me by sending me a few lines of yours. Preferably something aimed at playing on the reader's heartstrings.

For me it's when I lie down and close my eyes. Mostly I'd get the chance to do that when I'm about to sleep. I make a note of them in my head and usually write them down first thing in the morning. I would usually walk back and forth while thinking of a plot.

Whenever I use to ride my car or bike on a lonely road , I feel like I'm out of this world . I feel storm in my heart and soul and use to write a poem in ''Shudh Hindi''.
Gour Farmayiye:-
" Subah ke baadlon se daki Suraj ki Laalima,
Gaanw ki WO dopahari , Raat ki kaalima,
Galiyon (street's) ki udti dhul ka meri dahleej par bichhna,
Shaam ko WO Suraj ka dulhan sa chhipna''

@RAMPAGE

Firstly. Thanks for the tag.

Secondly. Wow! A difficult topic. I guess you, yourself, are a writer/columnist?

Thirdly, answering you sequentially:

a. Any particular part of the day or night can not be identified by me, as an individual, where I may or may not feel particularly creative. My profession has either enhanced or ingrained that adaptability and dexterity. Although, I do admit, that had a predilection to write as a school kid, and as a professional, have written some Public Relation stuff for one of the biggest organisations in India, albeit, incognito. So, here, I do share similarity with @Joe Shearer, perhaps.

b. Brainstorming, again I would agree that I too, do not indulge in any such act. On the contrary, any activity requiring a brainstorm session or a conference is a strict no for me. Maybe has to do with a lower threshold for tolerating idiocy? However, in my defence, am a 'lone wolf'. Prefer to work on my own with minimal interference, or a contributive team.

c. For space, it is anywhere. Although, I prefer a neat table to myself for my work.

d. No. What I write, would not be a reflection of my personal life. Although, perspectives do get conveyed as that is subconscious.

What of you? It shall be interesting to note your answers. (You have given a summation)

Thanks

Last edited:
@RAMPAGE

Firstly. Thanks for the tag.

Secondly. Wow! A difficult topic. I guess you, yourself, are a writer/columnist?

Thirdly, answering you sequentially:

a. Any particular part of the day or night can not be identified by me, as an individual, where I may or may not feel particularly creative. My profession has either enhanced or ingrained that adaptability and dexterity. Although, I do admit, that had a predilection to write as a school kid, and as a professional, have written some Public Relation stuff for one of the biggest organisations in India, albeit, incognito. So, here, I do share similarity with @Joe Shearer, perhaps.

b. Brainstorming, again I would agree that I too, do not indulge in any such act. On the contrary, any activity requiring a brainstorm session or a conference is a strict no for me. Maybe has to do with a lower threshold for tolerating idiocy? However, in my defence, am a 'lone wolf'. Prefer to work on my own with minimal interference, or a contributive team.

c. For space, it is anywhere. Although, I prefer a neat table to myself for my work.

d. No. What I write, would not be a reflection of my personal life. Although, perspectives do get conveyed as that is subconscious.

What of you? It shall be interesting to note your answers. (You have give a summation)

Thanks
No, I have never written a column. Well at least none that I've made public. I have a few topics in mind and I'll write on them come winter.

I'm more of a romantic than what people would consider a proper author. I have scenes in my head which I put together. Or they could be those word p0rn sort of thoughts (better than most of the stuff that page shares - Or that's what I like to think :P) which I would fine-tune later on. To be used in a story or maybe a poem.

@hellfire

Not mine but this sort of thing.

13432352_831404343662070_376972177026274802_n.jpg

No, I have never written a column. Well at least none that I've made public. I have a few topics in mind and I'll write on them come winter.

I'm more of a romantic than what people would consider a proper author. I have scenes in my head which I put together. Or they could be those word p0rn sort of thoughts (better than most of the stuff that page shares - Or that's what I like to think :P) which I would fine-tune later on. To be used in a story or maybe a poem.

Ah, then you should write something, which wont need an IPR protection and post here. Create a thread for creativity. It shall indeed be a pleasure to read.

On a personal note, the blend of writing with romanticism, is perhaps a very successful one, and for me, quite appealing.

Ernest Hemingway remains a personal favorite for For Whom The Bells Toll.

Last edited:

I'll take some latitude to what creativity can encompass....so I expand it to scientific/engineering realm as well:

1. Evening is best time for me I find. Also early mornings. Everything is quiet....and I can do my sketches of new concepts I had thought up previously or had somehow wandered into my head.

2. In my study at the aforementioned times. Although lately I have been doing it while fishing as well.

3. Separate space (study). It helps when fleshing out ideas. Ignition can however come at anytime and anyplace for me.

4. When I did fiction write, it was very rarely about my kind of personality.....normally it would be a swashbuckling explorer in some sort of adventure. Or it would be a big story cliffhanging morality-based story.

The one I most remember still that I wrote was about an alien race that invaded out of nowhere and had suprerior technology.....I followed the effects of this war on one young couple who gave it their all, managed to flee but were still eventually pursued to a cave. It was only at the end when the protaganist looked down the barrell of the gun that was about to fire....that I exposed that the invaders were actually humans.

I was pretty annoyed when I found that someone had already written a short story about it when I came across it. later.

I have since delved with this idea in just my head to make it more fleshed out...at various points. But I will have to put pen to paper down the road and commit when I have more time to do so.

The other one I remember writing was about a lone sentry in World War 1 at the front trenchline during night time at christmas eve.....and how he decided to feel like a real person again after hearing a german soldier singing silent night....and went up to meet his fellow human being in no mans land....putting caution to the wind etc.

My english teacher quite enjoyed it and told me a very similar episode happened in real life in WW1 and the solider was court martialed.

These stories are all gathering dust somewhere in my folks home. I will have to dig them out and see if they were actually any good with the experience and hindsight I have now hehe.

These stories are all gathering dust somewhere in my folks home. I will have to dig them out and see if they were actually any good with the experience and hindsight I have now hehe.

Probably if you were to look at it with the eyes of the child who wrote it, it would still be amazing. Don't get ironical in life too quickly.

Last edited:
This was also an attempt to lure out the gifted ones. We need more participants.

Let me leave you guys with a few additional questions.

1. Do you think you have a strong imagination?
  2. Are you introverted or are you extroverted?
  3. Have you ever attempted to create your own universe? I'm talking about something like Tolkien's middle-earth, Rowling's Wizarding World. Doesn't have to be magical, could be something like Suzanne Collin's Panem. Doesn't have to be on paper.
@Jungibaaz @544_delta

This was also an attempt to lure out the gifted ones. We need more participants.

Let me leave you guys with a few additional questions.

1. Do you think you have a strong imagination?
  2. Are you introverted or are you extroverted?
  3. Have you ever attempted to create your own universe? I'm talking about something like Tolkien's middle-earth, Rowling's Wizarding World. Doesn't have to be magical, could be something like Suzanne Collin's Panem. Doesn't have to be on paper.
@Jungibaaz @544_delta

1. I like to think I do hehe.

2. Definitely more introvert but I love to dabble being an extrovert too when the occasion presents itself. My sister is a complete extreme extrovert....to the point its somewhat too extreme I feel.

3. Plenty of times! Normally I base them around ancient civilisation recreation....and theories speculating around Atlantean-type culture, IVC/egypt/sumer space nomads, comet seeding, life incubation by higher forces, multiverses at both ends (beyond universe, within subatomic spaces or below planck length length....what other forms of life may be....is there something other than simply life and non-life and what that may involve. Also lot of Hindu/Greek/Persian/Chinese epic stuff alternates/visualisations etc.

I also do plenty of self-exploration/postulation on alternate histories....at multiple points in time....mostly revolving around a greater Indian cultural empire at different points in history...that stood say as a big middle civilisation between Rome and China.....and how this would have continued and propagated to modern day etc. Also more immediate alternate histories starting at say anglo-maratha war alternates, hemu vikramaditya not getting killed, dara shikoh winning the succession crisis instead of aurangzeb, 1857 war victory for India, what a more violent war of independence for India may have led to, united India (no partition) and India choosing free market capitalism as her system of economics at independence etc etc....or various iterations of these at different times.

Let me tag some peeps I would like to hear from if they got the time to talk about this stuff:

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Aung Zaya @Kashmiri Pandit @Bilal9 @Anubis @Rain Man

1. I like to think I do hehe.

2. Definitely more introvert but I love to dabble being an extrovert too when the occasion presents itself. My sister is a complete extreme extrovert....to the point its somewhat too extreme I feel.

3. Plenty of times! Normally I base them around ancient civilisation recreation....and theories speculating around Atlantean-type culture, IVC/egypt/sumer space nomads, comet seeding, life incubation by higher forces, multiverses at both ends (beyond universe, within subatomic spaces or below planck length length....what other forms of life may be....is there something other than simply life and non-life and what that may involve. Also lot of Hindu/Greek/Persian/Chinese epic stuff alternates/visualisations etc.

I also do plenty of self-exploration/postulation on alternate histories....at multiple points in time....mostly revolving around a greater Indian cultural empire at different points in history...that stood say as a big middle civilisation between Rome and China.....and how this would have continued and propagated to modern day etc. Also more immediate alternate histories starting at say anglo-maratha war alternates, hemu vikramaditya not getting killed, dara shikoh winning the succession crisis instead of aurangzeb, 1857 war victory for India, what a more violent war of independence for India may have led to, united India (no partition) and India choosing free market capitalism as her system of economics at independence etc etc....or various iterations of these at different times.

Let me tag some peeps I would like to hear from if they got the time to talk about this stuff:

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Aung Zaya @Kashmiri Pandit @Bilal9 @Anubis @Rain Man
Now that is indeed some strong imagination. Bravo! I've thought of this myself. :P

Thanks for the tag here. This could be an interesting thread. :)

As for myself, i am really not a writer. An avid reader for sure but not a writer. However all that reading surely creates some situations and ideas in mind but that is it, never thought of transferring those to paper of giving words to those thoughts. I am more of a "reactive" person rather than a "creative" person. Give me a situation and if it clicks i can write on that but not really into creating stories etc. Also there is one serious flaw in me that i think will hold me back from writing like you mean. It is when i am writing, as i am now, the words and things are coming to mind as i type and surely my typing speed cannot match the speed of those thoughts and stuff. In other words, i get a bit too excited and therefore end up making too many spelling and grammatical mistakes. In fact, in some cases, i will even miss a word or two because the brain have moved on to the next sentence already.

Reading this one again to see if i have not done the same here. :P
ANNDDDDD
had to correct two spellings one of them was the word "because" plus had to add two "s" so this will give you an idea. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom