What's new

what will happen if you shoot a nuke in the air

The nuclear chain reaction is only triggered by a deliberate activation of the weapon.

If the nuclear warhead was destroyed before it reached its destination, there is very little chance of the nuclear chain reaction starting, i.e. there would be no nuclear explosion.

And as @haman10 mentioned, there are also many security precautions on top of this to prevent a nuke from exploding before it is triggered.

i doubt that it will go off brother . there are several security precautions that prevent the nuclear chain reaction from starting pre-maturely .
but what about materials there is something which make big boom in warhead if you shut it with missal will it not explosive ?

well it wasn't my question but ty before you put this here i didn't know such things exist :laugh:

The nuclear chain reaction is only triggered by a deliberate activation of the weapon.

If the nuclear warhead was destroyed before it reached its destination, there is very little chance of the nuclear chain reaction starting, i.e. there would be no nuclear explosion.

And as @haman10 mentioned, there are also many security precautions on top of this to prevent a nuke from exploding before it is triggered.
ty you fully answer my question :tup:

but what about materials there is something which make big boom in warhead if you shut it with missal will it not explosive ?

The nuclear chain reaction is started by assembling enough nuclear material into a "supercritical mass".

Usually there are two major pieces of nuclear material in the warhead, separated by significant shielding from coming into contact with each other.

When the nuke is "triggered", the two pieces of nuclear material will be pushed together (by either the gun method or the implosion method), leading to a supercritical mass being achieved, and thus the start of a nuclear chain reaction.

Due to the nature of these types of weapons, it is very unlikely for the nuke to explode randomly after being shot down. It has to be triggered deliberately.

Nothing will happen for a fission to occur, there is appropriate trigger mechanism to raise the temperature above the critical temperature by some secondary explosion. If you blow up the missile, I doubt the kinetic energy produced by that is enough to start fission. This is my take on this.

EMP is secondary component of a nuclear detonation, without the blast, no EMP.

Mate , as an iranian citizen , he has every right to be worried about that .

u know what i'm talking about ;)
lol.. I know. . . . . nothing gonna happen. .. US will not repeat another hiroshima

Maybe you should ask what happens if a nuclear missile's engine fails 30 seconds into its launch.

Hopefully nothing

The nuclear chain reaction is started by assembling enough nuclear material into a "supercritical mass".

Usually there are two major pieces of nuclear material in the warhead, separated by significant shielding from coming into contact with each other.

When the nuke is "triggered", the two pieces of nuclear material will be pushed together (by either the gun method or the implosion method), leading to a supercritical mass being achieved, and thus the start of a nuclear chain reaction.

Due to the nature of these types of weapons, it is very unlikely for the nuke to explode randomly after being shot down. It has to be triggered deliberately.
what if the warhead is designed in such a way that it detonates upon interception as well, say hypothetically if a nuke does explode above the ground what will be the damage and environmental repercussions...???

Back
Top Bottom