What's new

What medium range troop carrier choppers should india be looking at?

silentinksoldier

Reaction score
While Mi17s have done the job well for the IAF, it cant be denied that the chopper DOES have ceratin shortcomings. For one, it isnt very maneuverable or agile.
While it does have a high troop load, and is obviously the perfect choice for bringing in additional troops to the frontlines once a certain degree of superiority has been achieved, it might not be the best choice for exectuting drops at hot LZs.

Should india be looking at another chopper to supplement the hip in this role? If so, which chopper would fulfil our needs?

We could take a look at the Nh-90.

specs:

Crew: 2 pilots (and possible sensor operator on NFH)
Capacity: 20 troops/12 stretchers/2 NATO Pallets
Length: 16.13 m (52 ft 11 in)
Rotor diameter: 16.30 m (53 ft 6 in)
Height: 5.23 m (17 ft 2 in)
Empty weight: 6,400 kg (14,100 lb)
Useful load: 4,200 kg (9,260 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 10,600 kg (23,370 lb)
Powerplant: 2× Rolls-Royce Turbomeca RTM322-01/9 turboshaft, 1,662 kW (2,230 shp) each, or:
Powerplant: 2× General Electric T700-T6E turboshafts, 1,577 kW (2,115 shp) each
Maximum speed: 300 km/h (162 knots, 186 mph)
Range: 800 km, 497 mi (TTH); 1,000 km, 621 mi (NFH) ()
Service ceiling: 6,000 m (20,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 480 m/min (1,574 ft/m)

Last edited by a moderator:
AS INDIAN ARMY LOOKING FOR FUTURE SAY FUTURE ONLY

:rofl::rofl: my choice :lol::D:P

THE ULTIMATE CARRIER
La_500_Muromets_by_pandora.jpg

While Mi17s have done the job well for the IAF, it cant be denied that the chopper DOES have ceratin shortcomings.
I am sorry to say but Mi 17 will still be our choice for medium category. India will start to receive Mi17 V5 from its ordered 135.
India to buy more Mi-17 military helicopters - UPI.com

We could take a look at the Nh-90.
Its a good chopper for our army.

Does anyone have info on Medium lift helicopter being developed by HAL?
The project is not making any progress. In the beginning its was decided to have an international partners for which request was send to 4 companies. Then 2 were shortlisted Eurocopter (EC725 Caracal) and Mil (Mi-17-IV). Later it was also cancelled, then HAL asked MOD of defense about going solo but there was no response from them. Also there was an option to issue request again but since mid-2009 there was no reported progress or you can say no status change.

I think the decision will be made after LCH which might be in 2012. I really hope, atleast they should finalise the partner if they are entering into a JV or else they can start on designing if they are going solo.

I know HAL is busy with the huge order of Dhruv but thats manufacturing portion. They are also busy with LCH but i still think that does not mean they could not issue RFP and finalise a partner because that process alone will waste 1-2 years but time management is not we are good at.

I am sorry but NH90 was not considered earlier and i don't think if in future we would again issue RFP then it would be selected.

This was the previous requirement set up for this project.
p2130081.jpg

But these requirements were upgraded with the extra wish list of our armed forces which was the reason why previous attempt was scraped.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom