What's new

What do Indians think of the Nepalese

Uh, this thread below had lots of hate material posted by you which was deleted later, some 2-3 pages are gone now, but I read all that before the posts were deleted. :)
What do Chinese think of the Nepal

Those times of India's independence and partition of India in three parts, nation building by forming an union, those were troubled times, now the region has somewhat stabilized and there is no question annexing Nepal, however, you can continue fighting against that imaginary annexation of Nepal.
Manipur is going through trouble and didn't prosper to that extant because of the insurgency, but situation is improving there also, however, I am not sure if Nepal is doing any better than Manipur, you should worry about building your nation instead of worrying about Manipur.

And what violation of Nepal's airspace you are talking about when we have given Nepalis all the rights to come to India without visa, settle here, work here, even in government jobs, will you call it a violation of India's landspace?

I might have gotten mad and said those things I appologised for it and no I don't think i have said any lies No I don't hate indians and don't make up lies

नेपाली आकाशमा भारतीय सैन्य हेलिकप्टर | मुख्य समाचार It's in nepali might want to use google translate

Manipur's Human Development Index is more than Nepal and you will find many Nepalis ( from Nepal ) working for livelihood in Manipur but hardly any Manipuri in Nepal. Manipur is an insurgency ridden state and there had been some instances of excess by the security forces in the past but that does not mean army or paramilitary is on a killing spree as you are trying to project, these are rare cases hyped by vested interests and supporters of insurgent groups to create a negative image of the secuity forces. Why dont you ask the Tibetans what do they prefer, every year large number of tibetans leave "developed tibet" to seek asylum in India , self-immolation of tibetans monks is in news every now and then.

Every country looks for its own interest, Indian interest in Nepal is restricted to protect its trade interests and see that Nepali territory is not used by its adversaries against India. Of late there has been increased activities of Pakistani and Chinese intelligence agencies to snoop on India using porous borders with Nepal. Moreover its the Nepali politicians who are the main cause of your misery and they conveniently pass on the blame for their ills to boogeyman India and people easily buy their claims.Nepal gets many concessions from India and in return India expects Nepal to respect its security interests. If Nepal tries to play India with China to extract maximum gains from both then it will be the ultimate loser in the long run not India or China.

Indian SSB stops school construction in Nepal | Politics | National

SSB beats up one more Nepali | Top Stories (This one made me laugh god knows what the Indian government would have done had they died)

India SSB demolish 3 Nepali houses | Top Stories

SSB quit Nepali land | National

in a sense you would not call Nepal being annex an annex but it is happening slowly like Bhutan. The money is tied to the Indian Rupee the land is completely locked so no trade no nothing really. In the 1990's there was a embargo which stopped everything from coming in even weapons which was needed badly to fight the Maoist uprising which was only broken due to USA's intervention now we are here with the Maoists (there is a wiki leaks on how the Indian forgine secretery to america Nirupama Rao funded them and china came out and said they have nothing to do with the uprising, in fact China took India side in the way constitution reform should take).

This talks about the slow land grabbing india is doing in nepal

Indian Exploitation of Nepal - South Asia Study Centre

http://www.mtnforum.org/sites/default/files/publication/files/1139.pdf

I couldn't really think well enough to post any sentences on explain some of the things but I provided the links that explains what I meant. I want both of you to know I feel like shit for doing this. I was only stating the facts from what I saw maybe I was wrong also some gurkha men were Self-immolation them selves in India I will repeat this again I NEVER HATED INDIA

When have i said i hate indians I have indian family members I am only saying I don't want nepal to be like Manipur where the army kills and rape people and nothing happens to them (talking about the armed forces special powers act)

1- Manipur is facing terrorism threat from separatists and that is the reason why troops are there.

2- All those guilty of rapes have been sentenced and punished. Many women are sadly threatened by separatists to pose as being raped so that the separatists gain sympathy. This is similar to what happened in Shopian in Kashmir. It is true that there are bad folks in the Army but the justice that our Army serves will not be given anywhere in the world.

My third brother is a colonel in the Army now and stationed in Manipur. I am myself from northeastern state of Sikkim and I am proud to be an Indian.

There are genuine rapes which are ruthlessly punished and then there are those false cases where the separatists use "racism and mass rapes" propaganda to gain sympathy. Heard of NSCM? Google it.

where zero development has taken place and there are no support for the people, even though they have thousands of graduates in that part of the country yet it is a hellhole with load setting.

See, before accusing India of not development you need to see where the problem lies., especially in Manipur and Nagaland.
While my fellow northeasterners from those states may or may not agree, they are equally responsible for the lack of development there. Let me tell you why and how

1- There had been a strong push from the centre during the NDA regime in the early 2000s for massive infrastructural package and development to build roads and increase trade connectivity. NE parties supported Congress and a pro-development party lost their bet there, other than the other situation in rest of India.

2- For any state to prosper, there has to be a strong and stable security apparatus that should be there. The state security in India is the responsibility of the ruling state government and therefore it is their responsibility to manage the state affairs. Most of the CMs in NE have a reputation to consider themselves as satraps except a couple of them. They take crores of money from centre citing lack of attention and guzzle them down themselves. When the centre asks them what happened, they say ' aal iz well'.

If there is no security due to separatism, terrorism, drug trafficking and what not, how will companies invest? Without companies investing, how will there be progress? Without progress, how will people evolve from poor to middle class and rich class?

So how is it that the whole of India is blamed for miseries? Why is it that Gujarat despite being in the same country as Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Arunachal and even Sikkim, managed to surge two decades ahead of rest of the country?

Why is it that we (barring us in Sikkim which has come up well and is growing) have abject poverty where people from all over the region have to migrate to get jobs?

Because till date, we have a tribal mentality. Sadly, while other states put aside the differences of the tribes and worked towards development and progress, we on the other hand continue feuding with each other as garo, khasi, bodo, nyshi and what not. Most of the people in my region are stuck in tribal mindset and this leads to turf wars and that is what destroys peace and security.

Northeast is hardly as remote as the stupid English-speaking anti-India media says. I travel almost all parts of the country at least once a year due to some or the other professional reason and frequently to my relatives and home in Delhi from my city Gangtok.

It is an endless cycle unless someone comes to end it: Separatism --> Military comes in --> Industrialists scared to invest--> no jobs--> no money --> immigration to other places --> brain drain in that state.

Don't blame entire India alone for NE's failures. If we in Sikkim can rise under a good leadership, so can rest of northeast.

In a democracy, every citizen is responsible in choosing a good elected candidate who can work for their states respectively.

I am only talking about the stuff I have seen and read I am not accusing anyone of anything from what I have read there is a lot of bullying of Nepal by India. India has a lot of control over Nepal it's politics it's money it's business the army just the other day some Indian army helicopter broke into Nepali air space the government won't do anything because it can't.

Please stop this nonsense propaganda propagated by nationalists and Maoists in your country. I don't know what syndrome you guys are having about having a bigger nation beside you who shares the same spirit as your country does. These nationalists want to gain power in your politics and to get easy votes, they need to create an enemy.

BTW if you didn't know, India and Nepal have open airspaces which allows each others' aircraft to come in seeking a normal permission like within each others' countries. There are no restrictions as such due to our accord. And my state has ethnic Nepalis and lots of them. They have no complains and are proud to be a part of our shared spirit. We live here in complete harmony. There are issues but not based on identity like how you say.

India does have influence on Nepal which is because we are a larger entity not just in size, but economy, trade, commerce, international influence etc. It has nothing to do with what we have for Nepal.

I think you are confusing Congress' nonsense with national stand. You are 100% right that Congress has created problems for Nepal. Tell me, has it not created problem for our country also? More than you, we have suffered.

Our influence on Nepali politics is not to make you look smaller but to secure interests that are mutually beneficial. These Maoists and fake nationalists who are out of power feel pissed that your other governments make success out of our deals and gain points among people, thus they keep whining about 'India the big bully, India the big enemy'.

Let me be clear as an Indian: WE DON'T WANT TO ANNEX NEPAL; WE DON'T WANT MORE PEOPLE INTO THE COUNTRY AS WE ARE ALREADY OVER POPULATED.

So ask your corrupt politicians to take inspiration from Modi ji and start focusing on developing Nepal rather than find a ghost enemy in India and keep ruling by fear factor.

That is how your darling China became rich. Through working out to solve problems of development, safety, jobs, economy, trade, education and healthcare.

NOT by whining about 'Japan the bully'.

I might have gotten mad and said those things I appologised for it and no I don't think i have said any lies No I don't hate indians and don't make up lies

नेपाली आकाशमा भारतीय सैन्य हेलिकप्टर | मुख्य समाचार It's in nepali might want to use google translate

Indian SSB stops school construction in Nepal | Politics | National

SSB beats up one more Nepali | Top Stories (This one made me laugh god knows what the Indian government would have done had they died)

India SSB demolish 3 Nepali houses | Top Stories

SSB quit Nepali land | National

in a sense you would not call Nepal being annex an annex but it is happening slowly like Bhutan. The money is tied to the Indian Rupee the land is completely locked so no trade no nothing really. In the 1990's there was a embargo which stopped everything from coming in even weapons which was needed badly to fight the Maoist uprising which was only broken due to USA's intervention now we are here with the Maoists (there is a wiki leaks on how the Indian forgine secretery to america Nirupama Rao funded them and china came out and said they have nothing to do with the uprising, in fact China took India side in the way constitution reform should take).

This talks about the slow land grabbing india is doing in nepal

Indian Exploitation of Nepal - South Asia Study Centre

http://www.mtnforum.org/sites/default/files/publication/files/1139.pdf

I couldn't really think well enough to post any sentences on explain some of the things but I provided the links that explains what I meant. I want both of you to know I feel like shit for doing this. I was only stating the facts from what I saw maybe I was wrong also some gurkha men were Self-immolation them selves in India I will repeat this again I NEVER HATED INDIA

There are rogues I agree, but rogues are on both sides. There are cases where many of people from your side of the border create a ruckus too inviting security attention in the border areas. When they get beaten up, Maoists and fake nationalists rake this up as 'Indian aggression'.

1- Manipur is facing terrorism threat from separatists and that is the reason why troops are there.

2- All those guilty of rapes have been sentenced and punished. Many women are sadly threatened by separatists to pose as being raped so that the separatists gain sympathy. This is similar to what happened in Shopian in Kashmir. It is true that there are bad folks in the Army but the justice that our Army serves will not be given anywhere in the world.

My third brother is a colonel in the Army now and stationed in Manipur. I am myself from northeastern state of Sikkim and I am proud to be an Indian.

There are genuine rapes which are ruthlessly punished and then there are those false cases where the separatists use "racism and mass rapes" propaganda to gain sympathy. Heard of NSCM? Google it.

See, before accusing India of not development you need to see where the problem lies., especially in Manipur and Nagaland.
While my fellow northeasterners from those states may or may not agree, they are equally responsible for the lack of development there. Let me tell you why and how

1- There had been a strong push from the centre during the NDA regime in the early 2000s for massive infrastructural package and development to build roads and increase trade connectivity. NE parties supported Congress and a pro-development party lost their bet there, other than the other situation in rest of India.

2- For any state to prosper, there has to be a strong and stable security apparatus that should be there. The state security in India is the responsibility of the ruling state government and therefore it is their responsibility to manage the state affairs. Most of the CMs in NE have a reputation to consider themselves as satraps except a couple of them. They take crores of money from centre citing lack of attention and guzzle them down themselves. When the centre asks them what happened, they say ' aal iz well'.

If there is no security due to separatism, terrorism, drug trafficking and what not, how will companies invest? Without companies investing, how will there be progress? Without progress, how will people evolve from poor to middle class and rich class?

So how is it that the whole of India is blamed for miseries? Why is it that Gujarat despite being in the same country as Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Arunachal and even Sikkim, managed to surge two decades ahead of rest of the country?

Why is it that we (barring us in Sikkim which has come up well and is growing) have abject poverty where people from all over the region have to migrate to get jobs?

Because till date, we have a tribal mentality. Sadly, while other states put aside the differences of the tribes and worked towards development and progress, we on the other hand continue feuding with each other as garo, khasi, bodo, nyshi and what not. Most of the people in my region are stuck in tribal mindset and this leads to turf wars and that is what destroys peace and security.

Northeast is hardly as remote as the stupid English-speaking anti-India media says. I travel almost all parts of the country at least once a year due to some or the other professional reason and frequently to my relatives and home in Delhi from my city Gangtok.

It is an endless cycle unless someone comes to end it: Separatism --> Military comes in --> Industrialists scared to invest--> no jobs--> no money --> immigration to other places --> brain drain in that state.

Don't blame entire India alone for NE's failures. If we in Sikkim can rise under a good leadership, so can rest of northeast.

In a democracy, every citizen is responsible in choosing a good elected candidate who can work for their states respectively.

Please stop this nonsense propaganda propagated by nationalists and Maoists in your country. I don't know what syndrome you guys are having about having a bigger nation beside you who shares the same spirit as your country does. These nationalists want to gain power in your politics and to get easy votes, they need to create an enemy.

BTW if you didn't know, India and Nepal have open airspaces which allows each others' aircraft to come in seeking a normal permission like within each others' countries. There are no restrictions as such due to our accord. And my state has ethnic Nepalis and lots of them. They have no complains and are proud to be a part of our shared spirit. We live here in complete harmony. There are issues but not based on identity like how you say.

India does have influence on Nepal which is because we are a larger entity not just in size, but economy, trade, commerce, international influence etc. It has nothing to do with what we have for Nepal.

I think you are confusing Congress' nonsense with national stand. You are 100% right that Congress has created problems for Nepal. Tell me, has it not created problem for our country also? More than you, we have suffered.

Our influence on Nepali politics is not to make you look smaller but to secure interests that are mutually beneficial. These Maoists and fake nationalists who are out of power feel pissed that your other governments make success out of our deals and gain points among people, thus they keep whining about 'India the big bully, India the big enemy'.

Let me be clear as an Indian: WE DON'T WANT TO ANNEX NEPAL; WE DON'T WANT MORE PEOPLE INTO THE COUNTRY AS WE ARE ALREADY OVER POPULATED.

So ask your corrupt politicians to take inspiration from Modi ji and start focusing on developing Nepal rather than find a ghost enemy in India and keep ruling by fear factor.

That is how your darling China became rich. Through working out to solve problems of development, safety, jobs, economy, trade, education and healthcare.

There are rogues I agree, but rogues are on both sides. There are cases where many of people from your side of the border create a ruckus too inviting security attention in the border areas. When they get beaten up, Maoists and fake nationalists rake this up as 'Indian aggression'.

Thanks bro for this excellent post. :tup:

A very write up indeed but I think the issues in South Asia are so deeply entrenched that it will take time for attitudes to change and a more democratic political culture to institutionalize. India is definitely far ahead than the rest of South Asia in that regard.

I have to admit that your view of the ultranationalists within Nepal resonates well with how I view them. But it is only natural for Nepal to feel threatened. We are surrounded by the world's two largest states in terms of population! And also, the issue here is not only amongst the nationalists. There is a general sentiment within Nepal that we are regarded as "Indians" which is loathed by all sections of society. We're a proud people and a very nationalistic one at that. I think the general consensus is that there needs to be mutual understanding between Indians and Nepalese that the two peoples are different nationalities albeit we share so much in common. This manifests itself in the nastiest of ways in Nepal, usually ending up in stereotyping and namecalling, which I think is destructive to our own interests. In essence, there is a trust gap (at least from the side of the Nepalese) when it comes to approaching India. Your new PM seems to be doing a good job of trying to bridge that gap and I hope our two countries can engage in mutually beneficial partnerships!

Bhai hain apne yaar...what is there to think so much ?

This is the subcontinent, people do have problems...but they are our brothers.

Hey there,

I am working on a project with a broader vision in mind to make NE the hydro-power generation hub of India.

The thing is i have got no contacts in NE, i have never even been there and when i tried to get help from Delhi or IIT Guwahati, i got no response.......please can you suggest me what should i do in order to get my project over there ??? coz its time that people of india should start thinking about developing india as a whole nation which also includes NE in it.

and dont worry my project does not involve dams....its a new concept.

Sorry for going off topic

I've always considered Nepalis as Indians.

That's basically the issue most Nepalis have. We don't see ourselves as Indians and want to engage in a mutually beneficial relationship as two separate states. Much has to do with our historical experiences, which are different from that of what became the state of India in 1947.

That's basically the issue most Nepalis have. We don't see ourselves as Indians and want to engage in a mutually beneficial relationship as two separate states. Much has to do with our historical experiences, which are different from that of what became the state of India in 1947.
He is not talking about Nepal as a nation per se, but the Nepalis who are living in India. They are not seen and treated any different than any other Indian. Heck, I met a Nepali here in US and he introduced himself as Indian. Later he told me he is from Kathmandu and lived in Delhi before coming to US. That itself tells that how while living in Delhi, he started associating himself with India.. Everyone consider Nepal as a seperate state with a strong ethnic & religious connect with India

Last edited:
He is not talking about Nepal as a nation per se, but the Nepalis who are living in India. They are not seen and treated any different than any other Indian. Heck, I met a Nepali here in US and he introduced himself as Indian. Later he told me he is from Kathmandu and lived in Delhi before coming to US. That itself tells that how while living in Delhi, he started associating himself with India.. Everyone consider Nepal as a seperate state with a strong ethnic & religious connect with India

Interesting that the guy identified himself as an Indian but hey, it's his personal choice. I understand how Nepalis in India integrate well into the social fabric there, evidence of our affinity. But I opine that the condescending nature in which certain bureaucratic structures of India approached Nepal could have added fuel to fire. Your new PM Modi seems to be a glimmer of hope for us and trust me when I say this, I was surprised (and very glad) that the Nepalese populace embraced him with open arms. Perhaps it's time to rid the old structures that treat Nepal through a colonial mindset. But hey, if India prospers, Nepal's chances of prospering increase as well. I wish nothing but the best for our big neighbor to the south! :)

Back
Top Bottom