What's new

West moving away from Turkey

Last Hope

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
West moving away from Turkey: Assad​
BERLIN: Turkey is playing an increasingly important role for regional stability as Western powers distance themselves from the emerging nation, Syrian President Bashar Assad said in a newspaper on Tuesday.

Asked if he felt Turkey was moving away from the West, NATO and the United States in favor of Muslim countries, Assad told Germany's mass-selling Bild daily that he felt the responsibility lay elsewhere.

"I'd say rather that the West is moving away from Turkey," he said in an interview.

Western powers are somewhat concerned that Turkey is growing closer to fellow Muslim neighbors like Iran and Syria, although Ankara sees its role as a stabilizing force in the region.

The country's ruling AK party has its roots in Islam but sees itself as akin to Europe's conservative Christian Democrats — liberal on economic policies but conservative on social issues. It won re-election in 2007 with the greatest margin of votes in four decades.

Turkey has since boosted its ties and trade with Arab countries, lifting visa restrictions for citizens of several nations including Syria. Ankara aims to create a free trade zone without visa restrictions with Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.

“I believe the role that Turkey has been playing in the region for the past three years is important,” Assad said. “It has brought a certain balance to this turbulent region.”

Turning to Turkey's stalled bid to join the European Union, Assad said the bloc should match its ideals of openness and cultural dialogue by admitting the country.

"You must ask Turkey straightforwardly to join the EU, because an Islamic country is needed so the EU does not become a Christians-only club," he said.

Turkey, which straddles Asia and Europe, started formal membership negotiations with the EU in 2005, but doubts in some capitals about admitting a Muslim country of 74 million people have held Europe back from welcoming it.

Turkey's President Abdullah Gul, who has said he is frustrated by barriers to EU membership, told Reuters in an interview that Ankara was now building closer ties with Russia and Central Asian states where Turkish business is flourishing.

Taken from:
West moving away from Turkey: Assad - Arab News

I personally think, that Turkey is tring to get united with muslims in the world after struggling with EU and should be given a chance.

I personally think, that Turkey is tring to get united with muslims in the world after struggling with EU and should be given a chance.

Same I was to write. Thank you for saving my energies.

The question is not about Turkey's differences with European Union. While it is definitely free to take its own course in terms of foreign policy since it has no commitments towards European Union. But Turkey is bound to certain commitment as a signatory to the NATO.

Turkish leadership is aware of the bindings that Turkish signing to North Atlantic Treaty Organization are and hence it is unjust for them to try to break them when all other countries are compliant in some terms. Turkey had the fine choice of considering a neutral policy and non-involvement in any of the Cold War camps like we did. But after signing, it is only wrong on Turkish government's intent to cross those commitment lines.

A statement from Mr. Assad like this is naturally expected since Turkey graced his country with their relaxing of visa restrictions. Nothing new.

The question is not about Turkey's differences with European Union. While it is definitely free to take its own course in terms of foreign policy since it has no commitments towards European Union. But Turkey is bound to certain commitment as a signatory to the NATO.

Turkish leadership is aware of the bindings that Turkish signing to North Atlantic Treaty Organization are and hence it is unjust for them to try to break them when all other countries are compliant in some terms. Turkey had the fine choice of considering a neutral policy and non-involvement in any of the Cold War camps like we did. But after signing, it is only wrong on Turkish government's intent to cross those commitment lines.

A statement from Mr. Assad like this is naturally expected since Turkey graced his country with their relaxing of visa restrictions. Nothing new.
I don't see any relation to NATO in this context. Socio-economic organizations and military ones are totally different in terms of, well, everything.

West moving away from Turkey

i dont know what mr. assad was thinking about when he told that but personally i am already a cheerleader level supporter of moving away from west for the following reasons..

( im writing them down with deep patriotic feelings so dont tell me whats wrong below .. or not )

- gave up european leaders' lies and hypocrisy.
- even southern cyprus can veto the titles of accessing negotiations.
- and yes .. 47 year in front of union's door.
- yes the union still our the biggest economic partner but we are in search of new and alternative markets and thats bloody necessary even we are late.
- they removed visa for thailand even.. come on.. we have candidate status.
- I'm living in seaside tourism city, Antalya, and working at international airport, see hundred thousands of tourists from europe and all around the world every year, when they were here everything is fine, but when a turkish citizen try to go there, hindrances begin in the embassies, humiliatios in the airports in europe.. arrogance ..
- actually this problem can be solved automatically when someone can say that clearly " eu is a christian club ".. but they deny .. this is also a policy for putting us off.
- did u know how turkey's leading hi-tech defence company aselsan has founded? After 1974 Cyprus events when usa lay weapon embargo on us, officials tought that we need to make our own.. the point of example is, without west, life will continue ..
- shortly we need to break the chain and run our own destiny..we need to stay tight with real friends like pakistan and stand strongly..

i dont know what mr. assad was thinking about when he told that but personally i am already a cheerleader level supporter of moving away from west for the following reasons..

( im writing them down with deep patriotic feelings so dont tell me whats wrong below .. or not )

- gave up european leaders' lies and hypocrisy.
- even southern cyprus can veto the titles of accessing negotiations.
- and yes .. 47 year in front of union's door.
- yes the union still our the biggest economic partner but we are in search of new and alternative markets and thats bloody necessary even we are late.
- they removed visa for thailand even.. come on.. we have candidate status.
- I'm living in seaside tourism city, Antalya, and working at international airport, see hundred thousands of tourists from europe and all around the world every year, when they were here everything is fine, but when a turkish citizen try to go there, hindrances begin in the embassies, humiliatios in the airports in europe.. arrogance ..
- actually this problem can be solved automatically when someone can say that clearly " eu is a christian club ".. but they deny .. this is also a policy for putting us off.
- did u know how turkey's leading hi-tech defence company aselsan has founded? After 1974 Cyprus events when usa lay weapon embargo on us, officials tought that we need to make our own.. the point of example is, without west, life will continue ..
- shortly we need to break the chain and run our own destiny..we need to stay tight with real friends like pakistan and stand strongly..

Totally agree bro, we also built up our defence industry when US embargoed us.
maxxyustas100800244.jpg
:pakistan:

^^ forget the arabs.
Care for the west and why are they not happy.

One of the strangest things I saw , recently was I took a look at the map ...and I saw Turkey

TURKEY is BIG NATION ....

It occoured to me that it is as BIG as whole Saudi Arabia plus its fertile nation not desert

Then I looked at european countries they were size of lets say srilanka
19-20 countries were size of srilanka

So I thought ... why is turkey wasting time with these small countries ?

When it can be partners with BIG COUNTRIES

E.G CHINA , SAUDIA ARABIA , US OR RUSSIA , even Pakistan or Iran

European Union is TIME WASTE

Turkey can be Super Power in Muslim world forget European Union its time waste 20-30 years of wait and no full membership

One of the strangest things I saw , recently was I took a look at the map ...and I saw Turkey

It occoured to me that it is as BIG as whole Saudi Arabia plus its fertile nation not desert

Turkey can be Super Power in Muslim world forget European Union its time waste 20-30 years of wait and no full membership

agreed.
They have extented the friendship hand, and we all must accept it. :tup::tup:

Well the thing is many of those small countries are far ahead of us. And we are already partners with all the ones you listed. Especially Russia. We are far more integrated into Europe then other areas though.

2006Turkish_exports.PNG

Last edited:
Turkey is worth more to Pakistan, then the Arab World is. Turkey is a leading example of how a nation should be built up. You Go Turkey but don't you dare forget abput your Pakistani Allies =]

Back
Top Bottom