What's new

Wen Jiabao promises political reform for China

the level of reform is important. i think the problem is not national level, or even province level. rather it is local, and that's where reform should be concentrated.

this is so obvious in the inland, especially: shanxi, henan, hubei, hunan, jiangxi, and especially in small villages. happens in wuhan too, we get taxed and tolled for a bad bridge that was carried out using borrowed money so corrupt officials can take the difference and laugh all the way to the bank. now it requires 24 repairs in 10 years, each repairing also using national money but we're still taxed and tolled for it. there are a number of fake, purely money grabbing projects in hubei and a much greater number of legitimate projects used to 捞钱.

Local levels are probably the most corrupt because firstly it is easy to control the small population by hiring some local thugs and collaborate with the local police. Also it is easy to spot people who try to expose the corruption and hence threaten their family.

In larger town and cities, corrupt officials have to hide their acts and keep their money in cash at home, many dare not put exceesive money in bank accounts. Also there are many angry private citizens/netizens in cities who will not hesitate to expose any corruptions.

Getting rid of corruption at villages and small towns will solve more than half of corruption cases.

Local levels are probably the most corrupt because firstly it is easy to control the small population by hiring some local thugs and collaborate with the local police. Also it is easy to spot people who try to expose the corruption and hence threaten their family.

That is the main problem. Whistle blowers aren't welcomed nearly as much as they should be. Remember how it was recently discovered that corrupt officials in China attempted to silent whistle blowers through threats and even torture/murder?

I think what needs to be done is not only organizing grass root efforts but greater support and even rewards for exposing corruption. This, however, can not be done unless the higher ups gain greater influence at a local level.

Getting rid of corruption at villages and small towns will solve more than half of corruption cases.

Your point is well taken. But then people will say when "上梁不正" ...

...This, however, can not be done unless the higher ups gain greater influence at a local level.

Just as I was going to say, you said it already.

Remember during He Shen's era 和申in Qing Dysnasty? Small local officials collected tax, kept some for themselves, some for He Shen (as protection fee) and the left over submitted to the Qing government's treasury.

Question is, who is/are the modern day He Shen in today's central government or among heads of provinces. And do the CPC has the political will to take down these people?

Remember during He Shen's era 和申in Qing Dysnasty? Small local officials collected tax, kept some for themselves, some for He Shen (as protection fee) and the left over submitted to the Qing government's treasury.

Question is, who is/are the modern day He Shen in today's central government or among heads of provinces. And do the CPC has the political will to take down these people?

One of the biggest, Wen Qiang, in Chongqing is now gone. I suspect that most of the supreme court is corrupt, as well as land resource management and environment.

I actually think local level democracy is necessary at this stage, you can't rely on the central government to make sure everyone of China's huge rank of local cadres to be upright. I'm afraid the idea of reducing corruption by increasing central government control over local governments is not workable, at least for now.

I think right path forward is to couple the rapid urbanization process with some local level democratization. The first, second and upper third cities are probably too important politically for the party to release control, but I do see democratization in lower-third tier and fourth tier cities to be feasible and desirable.

I actually think local level democracy is necessary at this stage, you can't rely on the central government to make sure everyone of China's huge rank of local cadres to be upright. I'm afraid the idea of reducing corruption by increasing central government control over local governments is not workable, at least for now.

I think right path forward is to couple the rapid urbanization process with some local level democratization. The first, second and upper third cities are probably too important politically for the party to release control, but I do see democratization in lower-third tier and fourth tier cities to be feasible and desirable.

good idea. the large cities need professional management. the small villages need to get the current scumbags out. also, an important thing to note is that local governments have too much control over tax revenue. increase the importance of national taxes, put a cap on the taxes local governments can levy, and the nation will provide to a county that has problems.

They are currently working on it. Many low level villages now hold elections. I recall seeing a documentary on it.

WEN is a f*ucking trickster, he shouldnot say these when he only has one year left

Back
Top Bottom