What's new

Ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations?

Dhaka, Delhi move for closer economic ties

Sylhet, July 15 (IANS) Businessmen from Bangladesh and India have agreed on joint measures to promote closer economic ties that are mutually beneficial and curb illegal trade by focusing on India's northeastern region.

A joint declaration by visiting Indian businessmen and local businessmen Wednesday expressed commitment to boost economic ties within the sub-region and resolved to 'make for the lost opportunities'.

Indian parliamentarian and former minister Mani Shankar Aiyar led a delegation of businessmen from Kolkata and the Northeastern Chamber of Commerce to Dhaka.

The joint declaration said the immediate Indian neighbourhood constituted the natural economic hinterland of Bangladesh and vice versa.

Both the sides agreed to recover the lost opportunities with a view to re-establishing the economic integrity of this region, keeping up with the vision expressed by the two prime ministers in their joint statement issued in New Delhi in January 2010.

The businessmen met in Dhaka after a visit to Chittagong to assess the working of the port that Bangladesh wants to open up to the South Asian neighbours like Bhutan and Nepal.

Aiyar told reporters that only 25 percent of the existing Chittagong port facilities was being utilised. The Chittagong port has a huge potential to emerge as the 'Singapore of Bay of Bengal', he said.

India-Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce president Abdul Matlub Ahmed said the Indian delegation was advised to invest in the areas of river dredging, road building and railway for movement of smooth traffic between the countries in the region.

In the northeastern Bangladesh city of Sylhet, Bangladesh Commerce Minister Faruk Khan announced that Bangladesh will facilitate setting up of markets along the border with India in the next two months.

He had set the time table for April 14, but could not meet the deadline, New Age newspaper said Thursday.

'Haat' or the market manned by local traders and businessmen, also farmers selling their produce directly from the fields, is a regular feature of the economies of Bangladesh and eastern India.

Markets along the border are aimed at providing access to goods to rural population and curb smuggling that is rampant.

'Trade relationship between Bangladesh and India will be expanded and friendship among the people of the countries will also be enhanced after the border markets start operation,' Faruk Khan said while inaugurating the 12th Sylhet International Trade Fair.

Dhaka to be benefited if trades with NE India

Former Indian union cabinet minister Mani Sankar Aiyar yesterday said Bangladesh will be highly benefited if it trades with Northeast India.

The Indian government has a vision 2020 programme of Rs 20 lakh crore for its Northeastern (NE) region but the region lacks managerial, technical and technological support to implement the programme, he said at a discussion on “Bangladesh-India relation” at Bangladesh Enterprise Institute (BEI).

Bangladesh can have a share of the amount by assisting the NE region in executing the programme, he added.

Even Bangladesh can invest in businesses in the region as India withdrew all restrictions on Bangladeshi investments two years ago.

Addressing the programme organised by BEI, Aiyar said growth of NE region will rise to 9 percent from present 4 percent with the huge public investment and it would be wise for Bangladesh to involve itself in the development programme of the region.

He said Bangladesh never looked to the NE region rather it was always interested in West Bengal.

“I can assure you that Bangladesh's economy will improve if it does business with Northeast India,” he observed.

Aiyar who arrived here on Saturday is leading a group of industrial leaders from the Northeast region aiming to use his diplomatic skills to improve trade between the landlocked region and Bangladesh.

Assuring Bangladeshi people that India has no intention to establish imperialism, he said Indo-Bangladesh relation improved greatly after the visit of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to India.

He also said the prime ministers of both the countries have opened up new opportunities with their words to allow each other to use their lands for transit and transshipment.

India will allow trucks from Nepal and Bhutan to come to Bangladesh via India and similarly it will allow trucks from Bangladesh to the two countries, he continued.

The former Indian minister said the huge trade gap between India and Bangladesh would be bridged through the transit facility to India, as Bangladesh will earn a good amount of foreign currency collecting tolls.

Bangladesh can also be economically benefited by allowing India to use its land for gas pipeline from Myanmar, he noted.

Indian High Commissioner in Bangladesh Rajeet Mitter also spoke at the talks presided over by BEI President Farooq Sobhan.

Eminent people of Bangladesh including Dr Kamal Hossain, former foreign minister M Morshed Khan, Hasanul Haq Inu MP, retired civil and military bureaucrats, diplomats, educationists attended the talks.

Dhaka to be benefited if trades with NE India

Former Indian union cabinet minister Mani Sankar Aiyar yesterday said Bangladesh will be highly benefited if it trades with Northeast India.

And here is indian deception of "benefit from NE transit" by seekig to waive tax. Another East india company 300 years later, this time own and operate by indian govt to loot not only money but also rob Bangladesh sovereignty.

India seeks tax-waiver for transit of ODCs to Tripura

Doulot Akter Mala

India has sought tax waiver for transportation of over-dimensional consignments (ODC) using transit facilities of Bangladesh through Asuganj with an aim to start shipment from October next for Palatana power project.

India has also sought the government's permission to use the country's land for widening road, cutting and trimming branches of trees (if required), work on river, culverts, water-bodies for the development of by-passes and meet other requirements for physical movement of cargo.

Indian High Commission in Bangladesh recently sent a letter to the ministry of foreign affairs for taking necessary measure and conveying its content to other ministries for helping transportation of ODCs for Palatana project in Tripura.

In the letter, India has sought tax waiver on entry and exit of ODCs in and out of Bangladesh after the transit operation.

India seeks tax-waiver for transit of ODCs to Tripura

The main activity is for Bangladeshi businessmento invest in NE and take u the govt. contracts that will becoming up in the next 10 years.Its up toBangladesh to waive tax ornot. Anyways, I don't see why you have tobecome antsy everytime there is some positive Indo-Bangla news.

The main activity is for Bangladeshi businessmento invest in NE and take u the govt. contracts that will becoming up in the next 10 years.Its up toBangladesh to waive tax ornot. Anyways, I don't see why you have tobecome antsy everytime there is some positive Indo-Bangla news.

"positive Indo-Bangla news" aka "benefit" deception Indo awami stooges are selling about this transit once more exposed.

"positive Indo-Bangla news" aka "benefit" deception Indo awami stooges are selling about this transit once more exposed.

Yes
no trade/investment in Bangladesh should be done by India.

They are getting plenty of investment from Chaina, America Japan and Pakistan too.

People standard is far better than poors of India.

They are giving tough competition to Indian goods in Europe.

They have better technology and R&D then us.

Hence India should mind its Bussiness.

Tresspassing in Bangladesh not allowed. :cheers:

India to let Nepal use B'desh transit | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Dhaka, Aug 07 (bdnews24.com)—India will allow Nepal to carry its products to and from Bangladesh, finance minister Pranab Mukherjee has said.

Briefing the media in Dhaka on Saturday, he said his country would earmark the non-tariff barriers and remove the obstruction for Bangladeshis products' access to the Indian market.

"During the visit of the prime minister of Bangladesh, we have embarked on several new initiatives. India has readily provided transit for Bangladesh to Nepal and Bhutan," Mukherjee, who came for a four-hour trip, told reporters at the state guest house Jamuna after meeting his counterpart Abul Maal Abdul Muhith.

"We will soon have in place arrangements to allow trucks from Nepal to enter the Bangladesh side of the land customs station at Banglabandha," he said in his written statement following the signing of the US $1 billion loan agreement with India.

He, however, did not say whether India will allow Nepal and Bhutan to export their products through Bangladesh ports.

Muhith said Bangladesh would serve as the best transit service-providing country in the South Asian region. He said Bangladesh could provide transit facilities to Bhutan, India, Nepal, Myanmar and China.

"We have already identified two areas on the Meghalaya border to set up border haats," Mukherjee said and added that the proposed haats (market) would start soon.

He said his country had agreed to revive the land customs stations along the Tripura Mizoram border, build a bridge over the common river Feni at Sabroom-Ramgarh point, and strengthen other border infrastructure.

Bangladesh and India during the visit of prime minister Sheikh Hasina's Delhi tour in January agreed to boost connectivity between the two countries.

Bangladesh agreed to allow India using the Chittagong port while Delhi agreed on giving transit facilities to Bhutan and Nepal for increasing trade and investment..

Hi,

I was really surprised to see comments from fellow friends from Bangladesh. It is a fact in international economics politics that one counry will assist to another country when the donor country has some benefit out of it.So why are you making lot of noise out of it? If the assistance offered by Indian Gov is not perceived to be a good offer then why dont the Gov of bangladesh just cancel it?

And yes relating to the second allegation that Awami league is a stooge to India,this sounds too immature comment. The reason is that politician of each country has their own set of ideology.For example, Congress party of India is perceived to be less agressive to the conuntries that beleived to be roadblock to Indian intrest where as this is not the same impression for BJP.So that does not imly that Cong pary is anti national. Cong is 100%national as like other parties. It is just a matter of idelogy. So simillr is the case of Awami league.

For example, Congress party of India is perceived to be less agressive to the conuntries that beleived to be roadblock to Indian intrest where as this is not the same impression for BJP.So that does not imly that Cong pary is anti national. Cong is 100%national as like other parties. It is just a matter of idelogy. So simillr is the case of Awami league.

I think it's time for Bangladeshi members to rethink about each other. Nobody should call anyone Razakar or Dalal just because of possessing a different ideology. I think all are BD lover here, at least in the time of crisis it will be proven.

Now about the AL-stooge issue:

I agree that having well relation to India cannot be any cause to call AL as stooge. But the problem is AL does many things for India (even the large BD-population does not want that) which mostly give advantages to India and sometimes disadvantage to BD. And AL does not admit that. Last time we have seen the taking unnecessary loan from India for India's benefits. Do you know, one of hell-damn-AL minister said Tipai Dam won't be harmful to BD? So, for that type of reasons we call AL as stooge. Also, another big point is AL ministers do not admit India's crime like BSF-killing, water issue and many others. Our foreign minister of AL said that we share long border with India so BSF killing are isolated accidents. They will never say that BSF killed our innocent people brutally.

Another big reason for calling stooge to AL is whenever they see anyone against AL then they call them Razakar and against 71. The culture of blaming others for different ideology was initiated by AL which compelled more to others to call them Stooge/dalal. AL always spreads propaganda and they initiated this culture.

I think it's time for Bangladeshi members to rethink about each other. Nobody should call anyone Razakar or Dalal just because of possessing a different ideology. I think all are BD lover here, at least in the time of crisis it will be proven.

Now about the AL-stooge issue:

I agree that having well relation to India cannot be any cause to call AL as stooge. But the problem is AL does many things for India (even the large BD-population does not want that) which mostly give advantages to India and sometimes disadvantage to BD. And AL does not admit that. Last time we have seen the taking unnecessary loan from India for India's benefits. Do you know, one of hell-damn-AL minister said Tipai Dam won't be harmful to BD? So, for that type of reasons we call AL as stooge. Also, another big point is AL ministers do not admit India's crime like BSF-killing, water issue and many others. Our foreign minister of AL said that we share long border with India so BSF killing are isolated accidents. They will never say that BSF killed our innocent people brutally.

Another big reason for calling stooge to AL is whenever they see anyone against AL then they call them Razakar and against 71. The culture of blaming others for different ideology was initiated by AL which compelled more to others to call them Stooge/dalal. AL always spreads propaganda and they initiated this culture.

Thanks for your summarization and also putting an progressive suggestion in the discussion. I may not be the right person to judge who is good or bad from Bangladesh politics point of view. But the fact remains is that the intent of Indo bangla relationship should not be kept hostage due to political rivalry between different political opinions.
For examples, if Bangladesh Gov feels that Indian Gov assistance is not benefitial to Bangladesh ....then you should outrighly deny it. This is the issue with Bangladesh Gov who is accepting the loan/assistance. Now if you start blaming that India is playing cards here then it is unfair....You should ask your people who has elected Awami league in such a huge majority. At the end India wants to be a friendly nation so it wants to create a foundation of relationship based on economic platform. We are not worried about who is in the Gov for Bangladesh.....

And what i have observed that Awami league is always friendly towards Indian people from the beginning. But I really cannot believe that Awami league has signed the loan/assistance/friendship treaty with India Gov without looking towards interests of the Bangladesh... And also Awami league have same set of policy from the beginning only. If you are saying that they don’t cater to the interests of Bangladesh then how come people have voted in such a huge majority to Awami league in your last election?

For examples, if Bangladesh Gov feels that Indian Gov assistance is not benefitial to Bangladesh ....then you should outrighly deny it. This is the issue with Bangladesh Gov who is accepting the loan/assistance.

Now if you start blaming that India is playing cards here then it is unfair....You should ask your people who has elected Awami league in such a huge majority.

At the end India wants to be a friendly nation so it wants to create a foundation of relationship based on economic platform.

We are not worried about who is in the Gov for Bangladesh.....

And what i have observed that Awami league is always friendly towards Indian people from the beginning. But

I really cannot believe that Awami league has signed the loan/assistance/friendship treaty with India Gov without looking towards interests of the Bangladesh... And also Awami league have same set of policy from the beginning only.

If you are saying that they don’t cater to the interests of Bangladesh then how come people have voted in such a huge majority to Awami league in your last election?

Ans to the bold portions:

You said if BD govt feels wrong then they should refuse India's offer, but this is only AL govt not BD govt. In BD opposition party (AL/BNP) has no value if they are not in power. No one listens to others. BTW, AL will never deny India’s offer cos they have personal and special relation with India. That’s why we call them stooge.

You are right, India wants so-called friendly relation with BD only till BD will accept your so-called help offers for which BD is not dying.

Definitely, India is desperate about our AL. It does not want to see other parties in BD.

AL can do anything for India if they just got the assurance that they will not lose the next election. We have seen how desperate AL ministers are for India even something is bad for BD.

Forget the last election and look how BD will refuse AL again.

Ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations?

Make trust, solve the problem issues, and stop supporting AL only, these are the ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations.

The only solution is to blast off the farakka dam and let our beloved padma to flow again in its glory. My hometown(rajshahi) is suffering alot because last year when I went there, people were refering to the river as being The padma lake! Nowdays you can almost walk inside the river.
Its only logical that people will start hating you. The election thingie is simple. People didnn't have any option other than AL last time. BNP was so corrupted and infected with militants inside. Next time when AL walk the same lane they'll face the same fate.
And believe me if their was a stonger third party people would have just kicked AL and BNP right in the ***

The only solution is to blast off the farakka dam and let our beloved padma to flow again in its glory. My hometown(rajshahi) is suffering alot because last year when I went there, people were refering to the river as being The padma lake! Nowdays you can almost walk inside the river.
Its only logical that people will start hating you. The election thingie is simple. People didnn't have any option other than AL last time. BNP was so corrupted and infected with militants inside. Next time when AL walk the same lane they'll face the same fate.
And believe me if their was a stonger third party people would have just kicked AL and BNP right in the ***

I think your comment make some sense..I fully agree with you that when one nation suffers because of conflict of intrest of other nation then of course people will suffer..but i have a question is you might have heard from sources of your newspaper that India has blocked the water...But do you have validated that how much truth is in the news??
My point is if India is blocking the water which is not in accordance with rules and regulation than i will really condemn the Gov...but again...you have to verity the authenticity also...becoz..in indian media always reverse the news get publicised....

So ultimately ...my intent is people of India always treated Bangladesh as a friend...if Gov makes mistake and its verified by independent authority ...then i would really like Indian Gov should rectify the mistake...but if this is not then same should be expected from bangladesh also....

hmmm seems like you are a sensible person.
The thing is its my hometown I don't have to rely on newspaper or water level studies for proof. Back in the days old fellows used to say steamers cruised along the current but nowadays even boats cant go straight because of sedimentation and lower water level. Still a picture worths a thousand words so heres a snap
2008-06-14__front05.jpg

See the thin blue line above? Thats the river and the gang of cows are walking through what used to be the river.:devil:
Sometimes I really don't understand the stupid diplomacy things, I mean just to satisfy a very small portion of your country your GOV pissess off a whole country like BD? Thats really really stupid
you know.....
cheers..

Back
Top Bottom