What's new

Was Too Close": US Ex Top Official Claims On India-Pak Nuclear War Threat

migflug

Reaction score
Country
India
Other Rules
Washington:
Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has claimed that he was awakened to speak to his then Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj who told him that Pakistan was preparing for a nuclear attack in the wake of the Balakot surgical strike in February 2019 and India is preparing its own escalatory response.

In his latest book 'Never Give an Inch: Fighting for the America I Love' that hit the stores on Tuesday, Pompeo says that the incident took place when he was in Hanoi for the US-North Korea Summit on February 27-28 and his team worked overnight with both New Delhi and Islamabad to avert this crisis.

"I do not think the world properly knows just how close the India-Pakistan rivalry came to spilling over into a nuclear conflagration in February 2019. The truth is, I don't know precisely the answer either; I just know it was too close," Pompeo writes.

India's warplanes pounded a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist training camp in Balakot in Pakistan in February 2019 in response to the Pulwama terror attack that killed 40 CRPF jawans.

"I'll never forget the night I was in Hanoi, Vietnam when - as if negotiating with the North Koreans on nuclear weapons wasn't enough - India and Pakistan started threatening each other in connection with a decades-long dispute over the northern border region of Kashmir," Pompeo says.

"After an Islamist terrorist attack in Kashmir- probably enabled in part by Pakistan's lax counterterror policies - killed forty Indians, India responded with an air strike against terrorists inside Pakistan. The Pakistanis shot down a plane in a subsequent dogfight and kept the Indian pilot prisoner," he said.

"In Hanoi, I was awakened to speak with my Indian counterpart. He believed the Pakistanis had begun to prepare their nuclear weapons for a strike. India, he informed me, was contemplating its own escalation. I asked him to do nothing and give us a minute to sort things out (sic)," Pompeo writes in his book, which wrongly refers to Swaraj as "he".

"I began to work with Ambassador (then National Security Advisor John) Bolton, who was with me in the tiny secure communications facility in our hotel. I reached the actual leader of Pakistan, (Army chief) General (Qamar Javed) Bajwa, with whom I had engaged many times. I told him what the Indians had told me. He said it wasn't true," Pompeo says.

"As one might expect, he believed the Indians were preparing their nuclear weapons for deployment. It took us a few hours - and remarkably good work by our teams on the ground in New Delhi and Islamabad - to convince each side that the other was not preparing for nuclear war," the 59-year-old top former American diplomat wrote in his book.

There was no immediate comment from the Ministry of External Affairs on Pompeo's claims.

"No other nation could have done what we did that night to avoid a horrible outcome. As with all diplomacy, the people working the problem set matter a great deal, at least in the short run. I was fortunate to have great team members in place in India, none more so than Ken Juster, an incredibly capable ambassador. Ken loves India and its people," he said.

"And, most of all, he loves the American people and worked his tail off for us every day. My most senior diplomat, David Hale, had also been the US ambassador to Pakistan and knew that our relationship with India was a priority," Pompeo said.

"General McMaster and Admiral Philip Davidson, the head of what came to be renamed the US Indo-Pacific Command, understood India's importance, too," he said.

"Although often frustrated by the Indians, US trade representative Robert Lighthizer - a brilliant trade negotiator and a Bob Dole staff alumnus, making him a near-Kansan - was a great partner working to deepen economic ties. We all shared the view that America had to make a bold strategic effort to tighten our ties with India and break the mold with new ideas," Pompeo writes in his book.

Yes we know this ! India was threatening to launch missiles against us. Our then PM Imran Khan told them for every Indian missile we will launch 3 of ours… then Indian backed off missiles launches.. all that for Abhinandan who took plenty of time during teatime !

"Sushma Swaraj informed Mike pompe that Pakistan is planning to Nuke India and India will respond accordingly if that happens"

Thats the summary of this long thread.

Such irreaponsible statement made by foreign minister of a Nuclear armed country to US secretary of the State involving Nukes.

If it is true then Neither side had intelligence assessment of the other side if they were deploying or considering to deploy nukes or not. US must be laughing at both countries after the heat settled down.

Then we say why US have to meddle in affairs of countries. Cant India and Pakistan Have a Hotline like USSR and USA used to had back in days?

"Real Leader of Pakistan" Part was rather Interesting 🙄

Rather than saying India will nuke Pakistan, it was wise for Sushma to claim that Pakistan is the one who is preparing for the nuclear attack, we are only acting in defence :D

Also, I am happy that Mike called Pak Army guy for confirmation rather than calling Pak PM who is duly elected by the people of Pakistan. He knew PM is not the right person for such important matters.

Two most important takeways- India did carry out balakot strikes and only plane was shotdown. Hope this rests all speculaiton now. @Windjammer

"After an Islamist terrorist attack in Kashmir- probably enabled in part by Pakistan's lax counterterror policies - killed forty Indians, India responded with an air strike against terrorists inside Pakistan. The Pakistanis shot down a plane in a subsequent dogfight and kept the Indian pilot prisoner," he said.

Pompeo says US averted nuclear war between India, Pakistan​

By AFP
January 25, 2023

U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo speaks during a press conference with Iraq’s Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein at the State Department in Washington on Aug. 19, 2020. — AFP/File

U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo speaks during a press conference with Iraq’s Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein at the State Department in Washington on Aug. 19, 2020. — AFP/File

WASHINGTON: Former US secretary of state Mike Pompeo wrote in a book published Tuesday that India and Pakistan came close to nuclear war in 2019 and that US intervention prevented escalation.

“I do not think the world properly knows just how close the India-Pakistan rivalry came to spilling over into a nuclear conflagration in February 2019,” the likely future presidential contender wrote in “Never Give an Inch,” his memoir of his time as Donald Trump’s top diplomat and earlier CIA chief.

India in February 2019 broke the precedent by launching airstrikes inside Pakistani territory after blaming a militant group there for a suicide bombing that killed 41 Indian paramilitary soldiers in the flashpoint Kashmir region. Pakistan shot down an Indian warplane, capturing the pilot.
Pompeo, who was in Hanoi for a summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, said he was woken up with an urgent call from a senior Indian official. “He believed the Pakistanis had begun to prepare their nuclear weapons for a strike. India, he informed me, was contemplating its own escalation,” Pompeo wrote. “I asked him to do nothing and give us a minute to sort things out,” Pompeo said.

Pompeo said that US diplomats convinced both India and Pakistan that neither was preparing to go nuclear. “No other nation could have done what we did that night to avoid a horrible outcome,” Pompeo wrote.

Pompeo, who wrote that Pakistan “probably enabled” the Kashmir attack, said he spoke to then-army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa.

Pompeo at the time publicly defended India’s right to act. In his book, Pompeo spoke highly of India and, unlike officials in New Delhi, made no secret of his desire to ally with the South Asian democracy “to counteract Chinese aggression.”

Pompeo writes extensively in the book of his diplomacy with Kim Jong Un, which included preparing three meetings between the young totalitarian leader and Trump.

He recalled a chilling first conversation as he flew into Pyongyang in March 2018 on a clandestine trip as CIA director. “I didn’t think you’d show up. I know you’ve been trying to kill me,” Pompeo quotes Kim as telling him. “I decided to lean in with a little humor of my own: Mr. Chairman, I’m still trying kill you.”

But Pompeo described a budding understanding with Kim as the Trump administration offered incentives to lower tension. Pointing to Kim’s smoking habit, Pompeo wrote that he told Kim he would take him to “the nicest beach in Miami and smoke the best Cubanos in the world. He told me, ‘I already have a great relationship with the Castros.’ Of course, he did.”

As for their substantive conversation, Pompeo said Kim spoke candidly on concerns about China, usually viewed as North Korea’s main ally.

Told that China believes North Korea wants US forces out of South Korea, “Kim laughed and pounded on the table in sheer joy, exclaiming that the Chinese were liars.” Kim “said that he needed the Americans in South Korea to protect him from the CCP, and that the CCP needs the Americans out so they can treat the peninsula like Tibet and Xinjiang,” Pompeo wrote, referring to the Chinese Communist Party.

Pompeo became known for his hawkish stance on China, controversially accusing Beijing of spreading the “Wuhan virus.” He said that Trump told him with an epithet that Chinese President Xi Jinping “hates you” and asked Pompeo to “shut the hell up for a while” as the United States needed health care equipment from China.

Pompeo has not ruled out running against Trump for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, although early polls show little support for Pompeo.

Two most important takeways- India did carry out balakot strikes and only plane was shotdown. Hope this rests all speculaiton now. @Windjammer

they did not mentioned the F-16 shot down either :lol: veer chakra ka kia hoga ab ?

Washington:
Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has claimed that he was awakened to speak to his then Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj who told him that Pakistan was preparing for a nuclear attack in the wake of the Balakot surgical strike in February 2019 and India is preparing its own escalatory response.

In his latest book 'Never Give an Inch: Fighting for the America I Love' that hit the stores on Tuesday, Pompeo says that the incident took place when he was in Hanoi for the US-North Korea Summit on February 27-28 and his team worked overnight with both New Delhi and Islamabad to avert this crisis.

"I do not think the world properly knows just how close the India-Pakistan rivalry came to spilling over into a nuclear conflagration in February 2019. The truth is, I don't know precisely the answer either; I just know it was too close," Pompeo writes.

India's warplanes pounded a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist training camp in Balakot in Pakistan in February 2019 in response to the Pulwama terror attack that killed 40 CRPF jawans.

"I'll never forget the night I was in Hanoi, Vietnam when - as if negotiating with the North Koreans on nuclear weapons wasn't enough - India and Pakistan started threatening each other in connection with a decades-long dispute over the northern border region of Kashmir," Pompeo says.

"In Hanoi, I was awakened to speak with my Indian counterpart. He believed the Pakistanis had begun to prepare their nuclear weapons for a strike. India, he informed me, was contemplating its own escalation. I asked him to do nothing and give us a minute to sort things out (sic)," Pompeo writes in his book, which wrongly refers to Swaraj as "he".

"I began to work with Ambassador (then National Security Advisor John) Bolton, who was with me in the tiny secure communications facility in our hotel. I reached the actual leader of Pakistan, (Army chief) General (Qamar Javed) Bajwa, with whom I had engaged many times. I told him what the Indians had told me. He said it wasn't true," Pompeo says.

"As one might expect, he believed the Indians were preparing their nuclear weapons for deployment. It took us a few hours - and remarkably good work by our teams on the ground in New Delhi and Islamabad - to convince each side that the other was not preparing for nuclear war," the 59-year-old top former American diplomat wrote in his book.

There was no immediate comment from the Ministry of External Affairs on Pompeo's claims.

"No other nation could have done what we did that night to avoid a horrible outcome. As with all diplomacy, the people working the problem set matter a great deal, at least in the short run. I was fortunate to have great team members in place in India, none more so than Ken Juster, an incredibly capable ambassador. Ken loves India and its people," he said.

"And, most of all, he loves the American people and worked his tail off for us every day. My most senior diplomat, David Hale, had also been the US ambassador to Pakistan and knew that our relationship with India was a priority," Pompeo said.

"General McMaster and Admiral Philip Davidson, the head of what came to be renamed the US Indo-Pacific Command, understood India's importance, too," he said.

"Although often frustrated by the Indians, US trade representative Robert Lighthizer - a brilliant trade negotiator and a Bob Dole staff alumnus, making him a near-Kansan - was a great partner working to deepen economic ties. We all shared the view that America had to make a bold strategic effort to tighten our ties with India and break the mold with new ideas," Pompeo writes in his book.

Cute article...

...and this is coming from the guy who said this...

I CALL BS,
both countries have large, Spy networks in each other,
In the case of Escalation, both countries would have gotten ready for any kind of response, be it a nuke, doesn't matter even uncle sam was involved or not.
If India want real escalation, the response would have been to attack Pakistani military personal posts, but they knew if they did that Pakistan would have to respond in kind just because of public pressure whether the military liked it or not.
Similarly, PAF chose the target in the same manner.
India lost a pilot, and a plane, which was being shown to the whole world, If India actually wanted a real fight they would have attacked but nothing came and it became more of a Media cry-out session, that Pak used this and that.

Modi made IAF do the dirty work to appease his vote bank.

PAF related in a similar order to appease its People.

Both Sides never actually wanted the escalation.

Back
Top Bottom