What's new

Volkan fire control system

Leopard 1s are very nice tanks, If we upgraded all Leopard1 A1/A3 Our Tank force would be far stronger. And second it would be very smart if we upgraded these Tanks similair to the Canadian Leopard C2...

Leopard 1s are very nice tanks, If we upgraded all Leopard1 A1/A3 Our Tank force would be far stronger. And second it would be very smart if we upgraded these Tanks similair to the Canadian Leopard C2...

Our upgraded to leopard 1T.

we dont need to upgrade , we should use them until altays come , after altays 1,000 we should upgrade all leopard 2a4 to leopard next gen , we shouldnt leave m48 and other m60 in reserves , we should use them , for mine stuff or whatever it can be used for just abit for reserves , we should have a 1,500 modern tank force and some reserve older ones

We can mount Leopard 1Ts with ex Leopard2A4 120mm L44 main guns after NG upgrade.

But it also depends on when will NG upgrade start.

We can mount Leopard 1Ts with ex Leopard2A4 120mm L44 main guns after NG upgrade.

But it also depends on when will NG upgrade start.

Dude, The leopard2NG upgrade include add-on armor on Turret and Body of the Tank. I wont actually replace the Turret.

I want a Turkish Tank Force similair like this...

1000 Altay Tanks
300 Leopard2NG
400 Leopard1T (Similiair to Canadian Leopard C2)
170 M60T Sabra

The M60A3 TTS and M60A1 Rise Passive should remaining in storage, The M60s are well known for being able to upgrade to adopt any situation and Terrain. M48s could be scrapped completly...

Canadian Leopard C2, Can you imagine these babies in Service :) ....
leopard_c2.jpg

What is the Leopard 1t equivelent to?

Latest reports from officials shows that Altay Mark or Block-1 whatever you call it (first batch) will be way different than other batches. It seems officials want to evaluate the tank and with feedbacks they will change something on the tank.
For all this, they have to keep aasembly line as far as they can do. So, sadly, Altay Mark-1's production can take years. I mean, about 6-7 years.

@Bordo Enes, NG upgrade will replace existing 120mm L44 guns of Leo2A4s with Altay's 120mm L55 gun, I was thinking we have about 440+ Leopard2A4s to be upgraded L44 guns that's going to be dismounted from Leo2s can be mounted to Leopard1Ts now is it clear?

+I don't think the Land Forces Command will ever order add-on armor for Leopard1s M60T was an emergency solution. But a new hard-kill system may come in order for them.

We have 1500+1500 M48s besides M60s Turkish land forces command is by far largest Patton series operator in the world. Especially M60A3s and M48A5T2s will remain in service for at least another decade.

What is the Leopard 1t equivelent to?

Leopard 1s' equaivalents are british chieftain(which i LOVE) and M60 Patton by general. But i don't see other countries following such modernisation plans like this, if that's what you are asking. Volkan upgrade is focusing only on tank's interior and fire control system. It's because of Turkey's unique development in defence industry. Because of Aselsan to be percise.

@Mehmet Tcc,
Don't be so negative, first batch will only take 250 Tanks, they may be ready in +/-2016

What about our tank fleet then; we need to modernize our LEO 2a4; but i heard that they won't??!!

What about our tank fleet then; we need to modernize our LEO 2a4; but i heard that they won't??!!

They will, eventually. Our Leopard 2's will serve for next 4 decades or so :) currently it's not really a pressing concern but when the funding is available they will do it.

Plus some parts may not be ready yet. As NG upgrade shares many sub-systems with Altay, It may take some time for those systems to mature.

There's no rush.

Latest developments changed Turkish strategy greatly. Greece is no longer am arch enemy for us, but a market we can sell our products. The old Middle Eastern rivals, Syria and Iraq is burning. Iran is busy with sanctions. But another threats have emerged. Russians are at the gates, Jews are playing with our interests in Cyprus. We need new air assets, aircrafts and helicopters. New tanker planes maybe.
Turkey spends billions in Africa. Not now, but in the following years, we will face with a new bigger and massive threat, The Chinese Navy. No one can guarantee our interests in Somalia Coasts. We shouls be able to transport troops in days. New naval ships, LHDs, AAW Destroyers and maybe a small aircraft carrier.
But in the meanwhile, we have no threats on the ground. As i said, Greece, Syria, Iraq have gone. Georgia and Armenia are too small. Iranian border is full with mountains, air force can take care. Why should we have a massive tank fleet? I expect a stall in number of tanks.

@legionnaire
I heard that first batch even can be lesser than 250. They are just rumours, of course.

@legionnaire
I heard that first batch even can be lesser than 250. They are just rumours, of course.
Altay is a huge project man, anything can happen

Regardless we need a bigger tank inventory or not Leopard 2s are some of our best tanks and with uncertainties of Altay they are sure to be upgraded, sooner or later. We might as well not waste L44 guns and mount them on Leo1s or M60A3s. It's a cost-effective action. If there's a chance we're going to face Russia we need every edge we can get.

Currently these tanks are positioned near Greek border, Thrace. But as you just said with changing threat estimations we are going to need to change our troop deployment layout in near future.

As for somalian coast, I think Turkish submarine fleet is one of the best of NATO and they should play the cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom