What's new

Violent teaching : Are our children animals ?

Our children are not animal but they are "dheet" enough to not to understand the language of love..

We are saying against it because we all have been victims of it. I myself was beaten by my teacher even when I was in matric and my hair got long just because of her. But we haven't raised our children yet which surely are not that much civilised to study at their own without punishment and abide by what is asked.

Excess of everything is bad but halka phulka tashdud to jaiz hai.:azn:

Classic "nature vs nurture" argument. It's the "nurturing" that determines if a child is "dheet" or not. Who does the nurturing may I ask .. Oh yeah .. the biggest influence is the parents and the type of environment you grow in. Simply because most of the parents can't parent for $hit, they try to blame their children,while it's their incompetence that results in the child doing what he or she is doing.

There is a very good reason why kids as young as 8 or 9 in our country fluently use curse words the likes of which can make your skin crawl. Now that's not because they were born with those words in their brains now is it? The reason is that they have a toxic environment surrounding them.Now I may understand that some situations may warrant a punishment to deter them, but seriously ....

Education is not the place for that.You are by design supposed to enjoy education because curiosity is more or less engraved in the human nature. Yet we have so many students that act out that this situation should be alarming in its own right.

You blame that on the students though. For me, I blame that on the parents, the teachers and the education system. The reason is simple, If my entire purpose of education, as a student, is to carry books on my back (that are more then half my weight) like a jackass or to remember word for word what the teacher told me like a parrot ... What's the point of that sort of "education" .. You wanna see real education ... Check out the following (@Spring Onion @Djinn @Jf Thunder)

Last edited:
This is so sad to see especially in the 21st century. I don't know what steps the govts have taken to stop this practice from happening in Pakistan.

If one sees any such beast beating the children, one shouldn't wait for police and serve the instant justice to him right there and in front of the kids and then hand him over to the police.

In a society where violence is ignored and accepted, when children tie a rope on kitten or puppy's neck and drag him behind a Bicycle and no one will raise an eyebrows. Those children become teachers in the future and treat kids like dogs. Some of those same children become parents and tolerate their kids being beaten because they have become insensitive to pain as a child. Its not limited to teachers, a business men abuses his workers, makes his driver work day and night without any extra compensation. A 20 year old shop customer demands that a 70 years old shop keeper carry 60lb bag to his car while he proudly walk in front swinging his car keys. Wealth, power and authority is abused everyday in Pakistan and not just by teachers. Another terrible thing taught to our kids is to keep quiet, dont complain about elders, no disrespect even raising you voice for your right is even considered dis-respect. Dont argue with your parents, your elders and your teacher and if they say sun rise from west just listen and accept it. Too many screwed up rules in our society, but is now encouraging that things are changing thanks to awareness thru media.

The problem I have with this subcontinental culture of corporal punishment is that its not a teachers job to punish children and humiliate him in front of his friends. Its the parent's job to discipline his child and not somebody else's. How dare a teacher raise his hands on other people's kids? And even for parents islam has set certain conditions for punishment :

The first rule: Beating should not be used unless other means of upbringing have been used previously, such as direction, kind admonishment and advice.

The second rule: Beating should not be used with children less than ten years old.
The third rule: The punishment with beating should be appropriate to the misdeed.
The fourth rule: Beating should not hurt the child either psychologically or physically.
The fifth rule: Choosing a suitable setting for the punishmnet, not before people, relatives, and so on.
The sixth rule: The child should not be beaten when you are angry in order to be aware of what you are doing. You should also know that the beating is required for discipline, not for revenge or torture.
The seventh rule: The child should not be beaten in delicate places. Imaam Ahmad
icon--6.gif
was asked about a teacher beating boys and he said, “Beating should be appropriate to their misdeeds and one should avoid dangerous places.”

In a Hadeeth, the Prophet,
icon--1.gif
, said: “Do not lift your stick against your wife and children and urge them to fear Allah The Almighty.”[Al-Albaani: Hasan]

https://fatwa.islamweb.net/en/article/158765/islam-and-the-practice-of-physical-punishment

It is not permissible to hit somebody’s face as the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: “If anyone among yours hits someone, he has to avoid hitting the face, and should not say, ‘may Allah turn your face ugly’….” [Reported by Ahmad and others from the Hadith of Abu Hurairah]

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=87009

With regard to smacking a child for not praying, it is stipulated that the smacking should be light and should not be painful and should not break the skin, or break a tooth or bone. It should be on the back or the hand and the like, and the face is to be avoided because it is forbidden to strike it, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade that.

https://islamqa.info/en/127233

It has deep psychological effects on those punished. Its actually interesting to note that during my high school , some of the teachers the whole class unanimously liked and looked forward to interacting were teachers who did not use punishment at all. Those teachers actually had in depth knowledge and were genuinely competent teachers and they did not even bother with scolding let alone raise their hands on other people's children. One of my favorite class was geography class as the teacher left no stone unturned to make the learning more interesting and engaging and never did he scold a single student for mistakes.

So yeah I agree , competent teachers don't bother raising their hands on other people's children. @abdulbarijan

I used to have a Qari who would slap me so hard that it would whistle in my ears for a few secs and my Parents(both educated) despite knowing never did anything and let me tell you, all this used to happen at my house and my dad was a serving army officer at that time. Most of the child abuse happens because parents overlook things. My sister once went to her kids school and threatened to file a law suit against school in Pakistan because the teacher didn't look after her son who was injured by his school mate and the teacher hadn't paid any attention.
my dad told my tuition teacher.. 'make sure he studies well, beat him up if he does not cooperate, we wont complain'... i was not beaten much because i was quite good at studies as a kid but one tuition teacher beat me up so much I peed in my pants..(i watched a tv serial when specifically told not to)... in school one specific incompetent teacher used to hit our knuckles with duster... another one was so mad when beating us(actually shaking), I thought he is going to have a heart attach and die..

my dad told my tuition teacher.. 'make sure he studies well, beat him up if he does not cooperate, we wont complain'... i was not beaten much because i was quite good at studies as a kid but one tuition teacher beat me up so much I peed in my pants..(i watched a tv serial when specifically told not to)... in school one specific incompetent teacher used to hit our knuckles with duster... another one was so mad when beating us(actually shaking), I thought he is going to have a heart attach and die..

In our 4th grade we had a teacher who was so good that we all kids fell in love with him. Even once we followed him and reached his house. He was very surprized that army of kids had come at his doorstep. Anyways he opened the doors and let us in. We sat there for some time. It was most beautiful house for us although it was old type of house in typical narrow streets.

That teacher never beat us and we studied with unknown motivation. That kind of teachers are obviously rare. Others compensate their abilities with beating and get short cut and short term solution.

More precisely it isn't a solution, just a way to vent the frustration of their own shortcomings. Kids are never to be taught by force.

I used to have a Qari who would slap me so hard that it would whistle in my ears for a few secs and my Parents(both educated) despite knowing never did anything and let me tell you, all this used to happen at my house and my dad was a serving army officer at that time. Most of the child abuse happens because parents overlook things. My sister once went to her kids school and threatened to file a law suit against school in Pakistan because the teacher didn't look after her son who was injured by his school mate and the teacher hadn't paid any attention.

I would have been a Hafiz, but once Qari made me a Jahaz, i was like that's it :cry:, but for me my family accepted my decision after seeing my bruises. This is all around. All madrasa studies should be regularized and of course standardized.

@Luffy 500 your above post is lovely. There should be law of no punishments/beating of kids upto ten years of age, whether in home or school.

I don't mean to sound ill mannered but by the time I reached FSc if any teacher had even come close to beating me I would have beaten the living day lights out of them instead and faced the consequences like the teenage delinquent I was

Now I know, that there might be some, that will read the title and immediately raise their voice against me for even asking such a horrendous question. But guess what, that is exactly what I'm about to do because it needs to be addressed like that, to reflect the gravity of the situation at hand.

So a few months ago, I came across this video on youtube with a so called "teacher" beating kids that most likely fall in the age group of (7-12) .. As I looked across in the related section, there was a list of similar videos in which teachers beat (excuse my french) the living sh!t out of these little kids. The situation is similar across the subcontinent where a simple search will render videos the likes of which will make the blood boil of any sane person.

Similar punishments are handed out to high-schoolers and F.A/F.S.C/I.C.S (11th-12th grade) level students. eg.

Now let's come to the difficult question at hand ... Are our kids animals that need to have a beat down by slaps or kicks or sticks every time they act out or don't do their work or are late to school? Many times kids might even have legitimate reasons for such and such but you can look at the above videos as to how much "listening" was involved ..

Let's think of it from this perspective, this child that is having to endure physical punishment plus humiliation is supposed to be a future scientist, engineer, lawyer, research scholar etc. and the choice that is being presented
to the child is ...

"Either do your work or face pain and humiliation."
instead of " let's expand our knowledge, and learn something new about the world every day "

If this is the condition that is prevalent, how in the blue hell can we expect good results or in fact any results at all. A condition where a student is not passionate about his/her studies, rather afraid. Our literacy rate is already pathetic as it is, and this is the environment our students have to face. As for the people that believe in corporal punishment --- following are a few points you ought to see ..

-According to a 2010 report of the Society for the Protection of the Rights of the Child (SPARC), up to 35,000 students drop out of high schools every year because of corporal punishment. And according to a 2009 study by Plan Pakistan and the Punjab government, almost 89% of children in rural areas and 92% in urban areas of the province reported to have been subjected to corporal punishment in some form.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/568929/...ed-to-be-beaten-teachers-and-parents-believe/

- Corporal punishment can in fact lead to death in some cases ..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2985284/Egypt-schoolboy-dies-teacher-beating-ministry.html
http://gulfnews.com/news/asia/india...ies-after-teacher-allegedly-beats-her-1.64393
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26823432

-As reported by the Human right's watch
"Moreover, a public school's use of corporal punishment affects every student in that school, including those who are not personally subjected to hitting or paddling. The prevalent use of physical violence against students creates an overall threatening school atmosphere that impacts students' ability to perform academically. Often, children who experience or witness physical violence will themselves develop disruptive and violent behaviors, further disturbing their classmates' learning as well as their own.
Corporal punishment is a destructive form of discipline that is ineffective in producing educational environments in which students can thrive. Rather than relying on harsh and threatening disciplinary tactics, schools and teachers should be encouraged to develop positive behavior supports (PBS), which have proven effective in reducing the need for harsh discipline while supporting a safe and productive learning environment."
https://www.hrw.org/news/2010/04/15...ect-academic-success-joint-hrw/aclu-statement

and somehow we wonder why our students are more in to remembering everything word for word instead of understanding it. We wonder why in an interview setting, where concepts are in check, do they perform very poorly. We wonder why do they act out on small issues. Why they try to make up excuses to not go to school and college. While there is and should be accountability of a student for not doing his or her work, let's not forget the torturer masked as a "teacher" who goes above and beyond to make sure that your child is fearful, less productive, anti-social and can't achieve jack because the "teacher" was too incompetent to give engaging and interesting lectures, and so he/she had to resort to physical violence.

@Zibago @Spring Onion @Akheilos @Moonlight @Luffy 500 @Side-Winder @Djinn @PaklovesTurkiye @SMC @xyxmt @krash @hinduguy @Jf Thunder @Hell hound @Lahorie @M.SAAD @Waqkz @Azad-Kashmiri @Lucky Breeze @LadyFinger @Abdul Majid Saleem @guy sach @TheNoob @The Sandman @ISI. @django @Musafir117
Beating kids for what they don't understand is pathetic. There are more simple yet creative ways to keep a child interested in studies or I'm any other activity. Beating simply serves no purpose, the child will do same mistakes again if not taught in a right manner. Teachers are older and more experienced than them and he/she must interact with the children to solve their problems.

Back
Top Bottom