What's new

VinFast: Vietnam EV maker valued at more than Ford or GM

You do know what is a stock market, right? I wonder what "shorting" a stock is.........

Why not just short Vinfast if you want a bet? Just don't come to me when you have problem getting money to pay off your short, you've been warned.
I want to bet with you since you think a company with zero technology can suddenly suceed. Lolololol

Well VinFast made some strategic mistakes. I can say this despite having zero ill will toward Vietnam and her people.

Car business needs solid fundamentals, especially in a competitive market like the US.

I was talking to a Viet friend of mine and he and I both spoke about buying one of the VinFast vehicles.

But where are their dealerships and maintenance infra? Nothing! Zip!

Cars aren't potato chips that you buy on a whim.

This is what I call inexperienced leadership at VinFast.

Koreans have been selling cars since the 1990's in the US. They had to pay a huge price. They are still suffering from the mistakes made thirty years ago in the US market despite having a credible product sell-able to the rest of the world.
They are a new company with making EV just about 2-3 years something old. Everything will come with the time.
E buses made by VF.

1692684558523.png

1692684653418.png

its kinda like that india laptop ban thread

indians think its so ez to make a top laptop manufacturer

Laptop and desktop mfg. needs investments in the 100s of crores.

Not to derail the thread, but here are the levels of mechanizations (PCB mfg. automation) needed to make laptops. The SMD insertion robots are Japanese and other stuff is made in the EU.

This is an older video from Bangladesh, but gives you some idea.

Vietnam and Indonesia have already progressed into much higher level value addition than places like Bangladesh or India. Auto mfg. (or even EV mfg.) is a much higher level higher risk gamble than making shoes and apparel, but at some point, you do need to move up the value chain, like China has, and Korea/Taiwan had before China - twenty years ago.

But one thing you have to do before moving up the value chain, is to train your people for being ready to produce these more technical items (skills upgrading), other wise your cost will be too high and you won't be competitive. Or your quality will not be consistent.

I don't know how skilled/educated VN workers are, am planning a visit there (HCMC) soon, will let everyone know. They certainly seem more skilled than the average South Asian worker.

Last edited:
Laptop and desktop mfg. needs investments in the 100s of crores.

Not to derail the thread, but here are the levels of mechanizations (PCB mfg. automation) needed to make laptops. The SMD insertion robots are Japanese and other stuff is made in the EU.

This is an older video from Bangladesh, but gives you some idea.

Vietnam and Indonesia have already progressed into much higher level value addition than places like Bangladesh or India. Auto mfg. (or even EV mfg.) is a much higher level higher risk gamble than making shoes and apparel, but at some point, you do need to move up the value chain, like China has, and Korea/Taiwan has - twenty years ago.

But one thing you have to do before moving up the value chain, is to train your people for being ready to produce these more technical items (skills upgrading), other wise your cost will be too high and you won't be competitive. Or your quality will not be consistent.
the labor part is why its important to open markets so advanced manufacturers can train ur workers

the indians gonna learn it from modi now

the labor part is why its important to open markets so advanced manufacturers can train ur workers

the indians gonna learn it from modi now

My view is that the overwhelming majority of Indian technical or hi-tech mfg. investments in India is either cheap, inadequate, makeshift or a shortcut. That is exactly why things do not work out. The cellphone mfg. debacle is just one example. Their own cellphone brands (Micromaxx, Karbonn) are completely dependent on Chinese parts, and which are not the best the Chinese offer.

As a result, the top four cellphone brands sold in India are all Chinese. (Mi, Redmi etc.)

Indians have no large program to upgrade their workers' skills either - for this type of mfg.

Indian experts are generally of the opinion that they will start investing in semiconductors and will have dozens of companies like TSMC (Taiwan) all over India. Shortcut to 1st world economy will be made in no time.

They deride other countries who make shoes and apparel as 'lower grade'. India's politicians and leaders at this time are completely detached from reality.

This is sad for the average low skill Indian worker all around.

My view is that the overwhelming majority of Indian technical or hi-tech mfg. investments in India is either cheap, inadequate, makeshift or a shortcut. That is exactly why things do not work out. The cellphone mfg. debacle is just one example. Their own cellphone brands (Micromaxx, Karbonn) are completely dependent on Chinese parts, and which are not the best the Chinese offer.

As a result, the top four cellphone brands sold in India are all Chinese. (Mi, Redmi etc.)

Indians have no large program to upgrade their workers' skills either - for this type of mfg.

Indian experts are generally of the opinion that they will start investing in semiconductors and will have dozens of companies like TSMC (Taiwan) all over India. Shortcut to 1st world economy will be made in no time.

They deride other countries who make shoes and apparel as 'lower grade'. India's politicians and leaders at this time are completely detached from reality.

This is sad for the average low skill Indian worker all around.

3rd world is 3rd world because of bad leadership

put western multinationals in charge and they will solve poverty

Weird. In that case, TOGG should be more valuable than TESLA. lol

I wish all the best, brother. And I want Vinfast to be available in India in near future.
Very difficult for us to compete with Chinese EVs. They produce much more cars with more cheaper prices. Unless India does something against Chinese invasion.

You should place tariffs on Chinese imports. 100 percent tax or so. That will hurt them. Then we can sell our cars.

Win win

Very difficult for us to compete with Chinese EVs. They produce much more cars with more cheaper prices. Unless India does something against Chinese invasion.

You should place tariffs on Chinese imports. 100 percent tax or so. That will hurt them. Then we can sell our cars.

We already stopped their BYD or whatever the **** that is to invest in Indian EV sector.

We already stopped their BYD or whatever the **** that is to invest in Indian EV sector.
Very good
Lets Chinese superpower feel the pain.
VF makes everything, electric cars, electric buses, e bikes, e scooter, charging stations, repair shops, road maintenance services, battery, etc.

1692699137833.png

Very good
Lets Chinese superpower feel the pain.
VF makes everything, electric cars, electric buses, e bikes, e scooter, charging stations, repair shops, road maintenance services, battery, etc.

View attachment 947690

I just hope Vinfast replaces MG Motors from Indian market, that shit is owned by chinese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom