What's new

VinFast Electric Scooters Enabling Transportation Revolution In SE Asia

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam

7B7BAC9A-C322-45CB-8F2B-7D008EBF1609.jpeg

In addition to the vehicle VinFast produces 4 different models of electric scooters to meet the growing needs of Vietnam’s population, ranging from smaller, more affordable Feliz S scooter up to the larger, more powerful Theon S. Scooters are the backbone of transportation in Vietnam with the majority of citizens owning one or two scooters.

The streets of every city we visited were absolutely buzzing with scooters. It was a common sight in Hanoi to see two, three or even four people from a family riding on a single scooter. This is acceptable locally with up to two adults and children up to age 7, though locals tell us this is more of a suggestion than a hard and fast law. In addition to miniature humans, it was common to see scooters loaded up with groceries, goods for their shop, or supplies for a home repair project. They’re the ultimate utility vehicles in southeast Asia and VinFast is helping those very same scooter riders go electric.

VinFast hosted us in Vietnam where we were able to not only see their electric scooter production lines, we were able to ride all four of their electric scooters on a short loop course. Let’s dive right into the manufacturing process, where we saw electric scooters being assembled at VinFast’s factory in Hai Phong, Vietnam.

Scooter General Assembly​

While at the factory, we had the opportunity to dive deep into VinFast’s electric scooter General Assembly line and pick through every nook and cranny. As with most General Assembly lines, it is a fairly manual process and it was exciting for us to see a high percentage of the workers on the line were female. Manufacturing just about anywhere around the world, across industries, is traditionally male-dominated and in my informal survey, VinFast’s lines had the highest percentage of women of any factory I’ve been to.

Forks, Suspension, motors, wiring, and batteries are added as the scooters move down the line on the moving conveyor floor. The battery packs for the scooters are also assembled locally in VinFast’s Battery Assembly factory and brought over to the scooter General Assembly line for installation.

The ride and drive setup. Image credit: Kyle Field, CleanTechnica

Image credit: Kyle Field, CleanTechnica

At the VinPearl resort in Nha Trang, VinFast hosted a ride-and-drive of their electric scooters, allowing members of the press, investors, influencers, and early adopters to test out four of their eScooters on a short circular track. While short, the track allowed for decent acceleration and turning, giving me an overall gauge of each of the vehicle’s capability in a matter of minutes.

The thing that stood out to me first was the lack of noise. With five or six eScooters buzzing around the track at a given time, only the slight whir of rapid acceleration even stood out. The rest of the experience was just watching the eScooters silently glide around the track, with the occasional whir of someone’s rapid acceleration. If anything, it was the smiles that pierced the silence, telling everyone around how much fun the scooters were. I mean, just check out these pics. It was like the people riding the scooters were actually having fun.

Image credit: Kyle Field, CleanTechnica

I actually plan to buy one of these.
Need to try them out first tho.

Back
Top Bottom