What's new

Vietnam Metro Transportation

a subway station
metro_19_zing_1.JPG

China provides support for public transport in Hanoi

Published on Jan 10, 2017
Vietnam's capital Hanoi is infamous for its motorcycles. The government is planning to ban all of them by 2025 to ease traffic jams and cut air pollution. That means there's an urgent need to upgrade the city's public transport system. CGTN’s Wang Mangmang is in Hanoi and explains how China could fit in.

Chinese firm helps Vietnam build its first metro line
Updated: 2017-03-09 People's Daily Online

20170309031509351.jpg

Technicians prepare for the lifting of a China-made train carriage onto the elevated tracks of the first urban rail line in Hanoi, Vietnam. Photo: Liu Gang/ People’s Daily

Hanoi will soon unveil Vietnam's first ever metropolitan rail line, a China built and invested project which will link the city's downtown Cat Linh Street and Hadong district.

The 13-kilometer-long Cat Linh-Hadong urban train project is constructed by the 6th bureau of the China Railway Engineering Corporation (CREC). The first carriage of the test train for the elevated metro line was hoisted onto the tracks at one of the stations.

Bidding for communication signals and power supply has ended, and the locomotives will be tested in the second half of the year when the power kicks in.

As the first urban railway in Vietnam, the line entirely uses Chinese technology and standards. The hoisting of the first carriages onto the line indicates that this high-profile project is gathering pace.

The railway, as a major cooperation program between China and Vietnam, is expected to be the first operational metro rail in the country. There will be 12 elevated stations and one train depot on the line.

The project has garnered great interest in Vietnam, and when the initial design was revealed in 2015 to the public, thousands of people offered feedback.

The public in Hanoi are counting the days before the railway operates. "I only saw a metro rail on TV before. When the route opens, I will be the first group of passengers to experience the convenient and green transportation," Bui Hai Nam, who lives around the La Khe Station, told the People's Daily.

As the city's urbanization speeds up, Hanoi, with a population of 8 million, faces severe traffic congestion, which has significant influence on its economic development and people's daily lives. Local people hope that sky train will ease the situation.

The diligence and perseverance of Chinese builders have impressed the Vietnamese side. Doan Van Dung, an engineer with the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport, said that the professionalism and fighting spirit of Chinese technicians is admirable.

@Viet , if Metro could be built by China, why not HSR (in the future)?

Seems like VCP's Minister of Transport is over-impressed by the diligence and quality of China's work.

If you give the job to Japan, it will go over-budget, beyond calendar and long term costly.

Chinese firm helps Vietnam build its first metro line
Updated: 2017-03-09 People's Daily Online

20170309031509351.jpg

If you give the job to Japan, it will go over-budget, beyond calendar and long term costly.
this comment really makes my day. This cat linh ha dong metro line is the talk of the town on viet media cuz the project is kept being delayed one deadline by another by chinese contractor for over 1 million year and the cost has at increased more than 1 trillion dollars than the original bid price lol. The north viet got so frustrated with the chinese contractor that their ministry of transportation called out the chinese as a bunch of bustard in front of the national assebly lol. Stupid north viet for playing with the chinese and they pay the price.

meanwhile the suoi tien ben thanh metro line being built by japan in saigon is on pace and even faster than planned. South viet are smarter that's why went for jap contractor to save all the headache and future fatal disaster that the north viet have to deal with chinese contractor

this comment really makes my day. This cat linh ha dong metro line is the talk of the town on viet media cuz the project is kept being delayed one deadline by another by chinese contractor for over 1 million year and the cost has at increased more than 1 trillion dollars than the original bid price lol. The north viet got so frustrated with the chinese contractor that their ministry of transportation called out the chinese as a bunch of bustard in front of the national assebly lol. Stupid north viet for playing with the chinese and they pay the price.

meanwhile the suoi tien ben thanh metro line being built by japan in saigon is on pace and even faster than planned. South viet are smarter that's why went for jap contractor to save all the headache and future fatal disaster that the north viet have to deal with chinese contractor
very interesting, according to the above report " initial design was revealed in 2015 to the public", now it is only beginning of 2017, the speed of progress is very fast, may be you can help me to find the original suggested time frame to be complete!

OK, I see it, but the reason is because Honai don't have enough fund for the project.

I also check the Saigon metro, it states "The network's first line, connecting Bến Thành Market and Suối Tiên Park in District 9, was originally scheduled for completion in 2017–18,[4][5] but later put back to 2020." a delay of 3 years.

Last edited:
@Viet , if Metro could be built by China, why not HSR (in the future)?

Seems like VCP's Minister of Transport is over-impressed by the diligence and quality of China's work.

you are welcome to put a HSR offer on the table and we will look at this.

since most viet can't afford a car we can only talk about the choice of motorbike or subway. As i have mentioned it takes on average 70 minutes on a subway from one end of the city to the other end and it includes walking at least 40 minutes in the heat of se asia. Motorbike only takes u 30 minutes for the same route. You want to talk about convience of taking a subway? That's a laughing matter when u put subway n convience in the same sentence when u spend on average 40 minutes walking in the course of taking a subway; thats even worse than spending 30 minutes on a motorbike. All of u keep touting subway is a better deal when none i mean none is able to explain why should the viet be spending 70 minutes including at least 40 freakjng minutes walking just to commute by subway instead of taking motorbike for just 30 minutes.

Erm.. Buses + metro?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom