What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Hi ! @poopnose456

Vietnam planned to upgrade T54/T55 long time ago.
Yes all would be upgraded by most suitable solution as they struggled to find which is the best.

Btw, it seems that T90 would be assembled in Vietnam for Southeast Asia market including Vietnam.
---------
P.S: do you belong to Vietnam community in South Cali ? I mentioned you used their representative flag.

grandfather old tanks T-55s reportedly receiving new fire control system

T-55+Vietnam.jpg

T54-55_1.jpg

T54-55_3.jpg
The upgraded version with new turret and ERA looks cool. Wonder where our generals hide them. Some people even mistakes them for T90. Still we are using T34 for training and drill. That IS the great grandfather.

No , i'm not from California, Texas, or New York. I'm from Michigan. Just a normal Vietnamese American citizen. My Parent's moved to US back in 1990 because of... the Communist Government. But besides that I want to support my former homeland in the Vietnam-China tensions over Territorial Sovereignty. Btw Do you guys think that it's a disadvantage for Vietnam to mainly get it's Military Technologies and weapons from Russia? I mean China also has them too, but in massively greater numbers. Like for example Su30.

No , i'm not from California, Texas, or New York. I'm from Michigan. Just a normal Vietnamese American citizen. My Parent's moved to US back in 1990 because of... the Communist Government. But besides that I want to support my former homeland in the Vietnam-China tensions over Territorial Sovereignty. Btw Do you guys think that it's a disadvantage for Vietnam to mainly get it's Military Technologies and weapons from Russia? I mean China also has them too, but in massively greater numbers. Like for example Su30.
Russia played a bad card with ASEAN regarding the China-ASEAN tension. Now even the most hardcore pro-Russian weapons VN has to sought out other sources of weapons. Recently, VN rejected an AK 102 production line from Russia to purchase Israeli Gali production line. Before, VN marines are equipped with the most advance AK we had around, AK 74-102-103-104 when regular infantry was still using AKM. Now they use Tarvo-21 and more and more regular battalions are equipped with M15, a modified version of M16 VN salvaged from US and South VN army after 1975. VN also plans to replace the MIGs squadron with EU fighter like the Typhoon or Euro Fighter. Of course about the submarine there are only 3 major players, Russia, China and US. China and US won't sell submarine to VN, for different reasons, so Russia is the only answer.

Last edited:
poopnose : China has no choice but buy greater numbers as their area so large. without refuelling ability on air, 1000 of Chinese Su 30 still cannot dominate Spratly islands while Vietnam can do that with limited quantity.

And yes, you are true to say Vietnam depend much on Russia weapon, while China could get the same.
That's why Vietnam need US support to lift arm ban next month.

Do You Guys Think Vietnam did the right choice to go with Galil Ace 32 and 31? Maybe New Russian Ak was a better choice?
images1310405_Galil_ACE_31_32_Baodatviet.vn_1.jpg
In the neat future Will the Ace Galil become the main service rifle in the VPA?

Of course about the submarine there are only 3 major players, Russia, China and US. China and US won't sell submarine to VN, for different reasons, so Russia is the only answer.

China is barely a player in the sub export market. It's main priority is domestic demand.

US don't make diesel sub, only nuke sub that you'll never be able to afford.

The main players are France and Germany with their Scorpene and 214 which is far more superior and modern than your Russian Kilo.

he he he welcome to the forum. I am southern vietnamese, too :enjoy:

Vietnam buys mainly russian products because of two main reasons:

- the army get used with their weapons systems since decades. sourcing products from too different countries would made things complicated in terms of inter-operationalities, replacement parts and training costs. Also, russian arms are price competitive.
- american arms embargo. nearly all western countries and US allies aren´t allowed to sell arms to countries under US sanction. thing will become exciting if the US ends the ban. the step is expected in September.

Last edited:
Do You Guys Think Vietnam did the right choice to go with Galil Ace 32 and 31? Maybe New Russian Ak was a better choice? View attachment 44200 In the neat future Will the Ace Galil become the main service rifle in the VPA?
The Russian asked too much for their AK production line (around $450k), compare to $380 Gali. Quality is around the same, some experts even prefer Gali over AK. Also the best AK around is made by Easten Europe countries, not Russia.
China is barely a player in the sub export market. It's main priority is domestic demand.

US don't make diesel sub, only nuke sub that you'll never be able to afford.

The main players are France and Germany with their Scorpene and 214 which is far more superior and modern than your Russian Kilo.
I mean that only those 3 countries have capable submarine fleets. Aren't nuke sub are strategic weapons that no one in their right mind will sell? Ukraine sold China an aircraft carrier because it was too costly for them to maintain, and they didn't have any potential conflict with China.

EU weapons are good, maybe even superior than US. But they are costly. Look at Leopard 2 or Challanger tanks. They are indestructable, but cost as much as 2-3 times a US tank, 4-5 times a Russian tank. VN prefer Russian weapon for lower price, lower maintainance cost and higher durability.

Do You Guys Think Vietnam did the right choice to go with Galil Ace 32 and 31? Maybe New Russian Ak was a better choice? View attachment 44200 In the neat future Will the Ace Galil become the main service rifle in the VPA?
Not so many information abt Galil using in VN army, seem like our soldiers still prefer AK series.

Galil may be equipped for our peace keeping team doing mission for UN only.

Not so many information abt Galil using in VN army, seem like our soldiers still prefer AK series.

Galil may be equipped for our peace keeping team doing mission for UN only.
Troops are asking when will they switch to using AK74. Seriously the AKM is heavy as hell, and pack a punch of kick-back too. Gali might be used by special force, like "Dac Cong" or by the most elite troops in PVA.

Russia played a bad card with ASEAN regarding the China-ASEAN tension. Now even the most hardcore pro-Russian weapons VN has to sought out other sources of weapons. Recently, VN rejected an AK 102 production line from Russia to purchase Israeli Gali production line. Before, VN marines are equipped with the most advance AK we had around, AK 74-102-103-104 when regular infantry was still using AKM. Now they use Tarvo-21 and more and more regular battalions are equipped with M15, a modified version of M16 VN salvaged from US and South VN army after 1975. VN also plans to replace the MIGs squadron with EU fighter like the Typhoon or Euro Fighter. Of course about the submarine there are only 3 major players, Russia, China and US. China and US won't sell submarine to VN, for different reasons, so Russia is the only answer.

What's your source regarding VN planning to replace the migs with the typhoon jet? I never heard anything in that direction and frankly, I very much doubt it, the typhoon is very expensive and still not as good as the SU-35 which is what I understand that VN is planning to get.

Regarding diesel subs, you forget South Korea. Indonesia is buying subs from them and also producing them under license. Those subs are a modified, enlarge version of the German type 209. The south koreans are also working on other, bigger designs.

Back
Top Bottom