What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

The possibility of the typhoon replacing Mig 21's is almost next to impossible, not only because of cost which is already enough of a reason, but also because they are totally different types of planes. VN needs to replace the Mig 21 with a single engine, light plane, the typhoon is a dual engine, heavier plane and at a price of way more than $100 million a piece, plus the extra logistical expenses of having to use western missiles and equipment for it, it just makes no sense.

If there is a European plane that can replace the Mig 21 that would be the Grippen which is also a single engine, light jet even that it cost about the same as a SU-30, but at least is cheap to operate and maintain.

Other choices would be the F-16 or the Tejas MK2 from India. If those options can't be made to workout, then it has to be replaced with heavier, dual engines jets (which are a lot more expensive to operate) like the SU-30 / 35 or the Mig 35 which I think it would be a good alternative.

There is no Mig 17 in operation in VN by the way, and VN never operated the Mig 27.
Yeah, that was a few years ago. With things going around now, VN will be likely to look to Japan or South Korea for the new type of fighter, starting with training airplane.

@Viet I thought the most Modern tank in the VPA was the T-55/54m3 :/ Here's an example photo below:View attachment 44441
There are rumors of a dozen of T-72s lying somewhere around Hanoi, but these are just rumors.

Last edited:
@Viet I thought the most Modern tank in the VPA was the T-55/54m3 :/ Here's an example photo below:View attachment 44441
Yes, you are right. T-55M3 with new 105mm rifled gun and fire control system outperforms the T-62.

What I mean back during the cold war the T-62 with 115 mm smoothbore gun was the first tank in the world which has this revolutionary design. Most modern tanks today for example T-90, Leopard 2 or Abrahams have smoothbore gun. If Vietnam army upgrades T-62 with modern fire control system and add more other things similar to T-55M3 (project T-54M3 is reportedly cancelled), the T-62M3 would outperform T-55M3.

Vietnam - People's Army

VN state media reports Kilo #4 begins factory-level sea trials on the Baltic Sea.

Kilo-submarine.jpg

Is it possible that maybe some day the US open a Military Base in Vietnam again? I mean it happened in South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.

Is it possible that maybe some day the US open a Military Base in Vietnam again? I mean it happened in South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.
No, its impossible except US can give VN a great help (unify Sub-Mekong region) like Soviet union.

The problem here is beside SK starting as an ally of US, Japan was defeated and occupied against their will(though Japanese made the best out of it), Philippine used to be US colony in a short time (40 years, compare to VN was slaves to France for over 100 years) and did achieve independence by revolting against Japan, WITH the help of US in WW2. Many VNese believe VN was the victor in the VN war, and to the world, a super power like US withdrawing from a war was a big lost. Those prideful VNese will be the one who actively against US setting up a base in VN. They believe that if VN could win the strongest nation before, they can do it again.

Personally, I think time changes, people must change as well. I am proud that VN could achieve such victory, military or political, against US during their high time. But the situation has changed. Winning a super power 40 years ago is different from winning a super power now. And other nations must have learnt something from VN war. Winning a war is important, but at what cost? Before we sacrificed 5 millions VNese in the VN war, and the ratio of VN-US kill rate is 10-1. That number is unacceptable in today standard. If a war happens in VN, whether VN wins or loses, whether the current govt survives or falls, there will be a lot a lot of VNese dies. So let's hope there won't be a war soon.

The problem here is beside SK starting as an ally of US, Japan was defeated and occupied against their will(though Japanese made the best out of it), Philippine used to be US colony in a short time (40 years, compare to VN was slaves to France for over 100 years) and did achieve independence by revolting against Japan, WITH the help of US in WW2. Many VNese believe VN was the victor in the VN war, and to the world, a super power like US withdrawing from a war was a big lost. Those prideful VNese will be the one who actively against US setting up a base in VN. They believe that if VN could win the strongest nation before, they can do it again.

Personally, I think time changes, people must change as well. I am proud that VN could achieve such victory, military or political, against US during their high time. But the situation has changed. Winning a super power 40 years ago is different from winning a super power now. And other nations must have learnt something from VN war. Winning a war is important, but at what cost? Before we sacrificed 5 millions VNese in the VN war, and the ratio of VN-US kill rate is 10-1. That number is unacceptable in today standard. If a war happens in VN, whether VN wins or loses, whether the current govt survives or falls, there will be a lot a lot of VNese dies. So let's hope there won't be a war soon.
U know why our pplation raise up to 90 million ?? Bcz we can accept 10 million people die in the next war. If u r worry abt it, then pls leave VN now before too late.

New policy just has been applied: all normal men under 30 years old must join the army when war happen

U know why our pplation raise up to 90 million ?? Bcz we can accept 10 million people die in the next war. If u r worry abt it, then pls leave VN now before too late.

New policy just has been applied: all normal men under 30 years old must join the army when war happen
Dude, I am no coward. In the height of the Haiyang 981 tension, I thought of leaving my job to join the army. What I meant is in the war with US, we have nothing to lose. They said they would bomb us back to the stone age, well we were already in the stone age. But now, everyone has something to lose. And we won't be ready to sacrifice that much anymore.

I know you are an extremist, but inside you are a patriot, like many other VNese. Our methods might be different but our love for VN is the same. Don't worry I am not one of those democracist "Rận Chủ". I just prefer peace over war, and avoid war if possible, even by sacrificing some minor value. Of course Paracels and Spartly are not one of those "minor value".

Dude, @NiceGuy is talking about creating a Indochina Fed with VN on top. Are you sure the US will support VN doing that?
Maybe, like I said nothing is impossible , Cambodia, Laos vs Viet Nam united in one direction, we shall see .

Maybe, like I said nothing is impossible , Cambodia, Laos vs Viet Nam united in one direction, we shall see .
VN, Laos and Cambodia combine will create a power imbalance in the region. Thailand, Myanmar will feel insecure. China won't want to see a new force rising next door. At least right now Cambodia is close to China. With VN on top, Indochina Fed will surely be anti-China.

Guys found a photo from Vietnam that shows weapons of future VPA firearms (WarComissar)
10593019_588779554578342_8515421896707298662_n.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong but are those Ace Galil and Ak 103?

Actually, Vietnam self produced all of firearms as demand.
And some type of missiles with short and medium range.
Don't worry.

Actually, Vietnam self produced all of firearms as demand.
And some type of missiles with short and medium range.
Don't worry.
VN hasn't been able to self-produce artillery and anti-tank system. Our artillery is surely out of date, and anti-tank weapons are imported from Russia.
@poopnose456
Beside regular service rifle, VN just successfully produced a 12,7mm sniper rifle prototype, original design, and has plan for a production line. A sweet beast.
sungbantia12.7mm_soha.vn-b1a0d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom