What's new

Video Gamers report in!

Breaking: Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has banned PUBG in country.

Steam Summer sale chal rahi

whatcha guize getting ?

I grabbed Jedi: Fallen Order so far at 50% off :smokin:

looking for other good deals on AAA shite, still another week to go !

Steam Summer sale chal rahi

whatcha guize getting ?

I grabbed Jedi: Fallen Order so far at 50% off :smokin:

looking for other good deals on AAA shite, still another week to go !

Recently got a gaming laptop, but to this day, haven’t bought anything off of steam yet.

Only PC game I own is modern warfare, And that’s only because it Came bundled with it :lol:

From what I can see, steam has a lot of thinking type games too

Recently got a gaming laptop, but to this day, haven’t bought anything off of steam yet.

Only PC game I own is modern warfare, And that’s only because it Came bundled with it :lol:

Why not, it's a fun hobby to have. Give it a go.

and yeah, steam's got everything, sims, strategy, shooters, puzzles.. you name it

and now's a real nice time to grab a few, some great deals on there !

I did an upgrade from Core i5 to AMD Threadripper 2920x. processor, mobo, psu, pain in the arse memory, cpu cooler, m.2 nvme and graphics for ~£1600

My case is (Cooler Master HAF932) over a decade old but it will last a lifetime. No need to upgrade the monitor its 34" ultrawide ~4K not as responsive or a very high refresh rate but can't complain it 34" Ultrawide. Keyboard is Logitech G910 mouse is some Corsair one.
I do not do gaming but need similar specs for image processing.
I found X99 mobo/xeon combo a serious value for money. GPU is where the power needs to be any way in gaming - i could be wrong though.

Laptop is no good friend. you need a serious workstation - it is hand down for it.

If you can get hold of T5180 barebone; just add memory (remember this is ECC ram); NVME + any good v3 E5 xeon processor e.g. 2660v3 or 1650 v3; you are in business. you can put 2 gpus in it as well.

I found X99 mobo/xeon combo a serious value for money. GPU is where the power needs to be any way in gaming - i could be wrong though.
If you can get hold of AMD threadripper 1st or even second gen then that will be able to satisfy your needs very well. Xenon is good alternative. The one thing about Threadripper is that it is a very very heavily driven by memory. Buying memory for my system was a stressful experience.

the CPU runs well below the threshold and it has never been overstressed despite me trying to in my capacity.

Image processing will need a substantially good GPU and there are so many good cards available now especially in 2nd hand market.

But the ultimate game changer for me was not the high end CPU, mobo, memory and GPU but it was the hard drive. after I built my system and plugged in my then current HDD, the system could not function and it kept crashing. The reason is that HDD was unable to keep up with the system and it was far too slow to read/write.

I had no option but to fork out more money for a m.2 NVME which is the size of your thumb but its bandwidth in read/write blows the traditional HDD and some solid state drives out of the water.

Laptop is no good friend. you need a serious workstation - it is hand down for it.

If you can get hold of T5180 barebone; just add memory (remember this is ECC ram); NVME + any good v3 E5 xeon processor e.g. 2660v3 or 1650 v3; you are in business. you can put 2 gpus in it as well.

That looks like quite the powerhouse my friend.

But I’ve already invested some serious coin into this laptop and it Has passed its return date.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would’ve gone for a desktop just based on pure value alone.

But at the time, I had recently moved and had no space for barely anything in my apartment

If you can get hold of AMD threadripper 1st or even second gen then that will be able to satisfy your needs very well. Xenon is good alternative. The one thing about Threadripper is that it is a very very heavily driven by memory. Buying memory for my system was a stressful experience.

the CPU runs well below the threshold and it has never been overstressed despite me trying to in my capacity.

Image processing will need a substantially good GPU and there are so many good cards available now especially in 2nd hand market.

But the ultimate game changer for me was not the high end CPU, mobo, memory and GPU but it was the hard drive. after I built my system and plugged in my then current HDD, the system could not function and it kept crashing. The reason is that HDD was unable to keep up with the system and it was far too slow to read/write.

I had no option but to fork out more money for a m.2 NVME which is the size of your thumb but its bandwidth in read/write blows the traditional HDD and some solid state drives out of the water.
Absolutely; prior i was running computation models via icore7/32gb/SSD + 2TB. Took close to 19 hrs and it would crash.
Once i got the T5810 up with xeon, went in with 500gb m2 + 2TB for data. It came down to 4 hrs and finished successfully. I love the T5810 especially you just slot in server ecc memory; cheap.

That looks like quite the powerhouse my friend.

But I’ve already invested some serious coin into this laptop and it Has passed its return date.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would’ve gone for a desktop just based on pure value alone.

But at the time, I had recently moved and had no space for barely anything in my apartment
Actually not so.
T5810 - barebone = converted.. $120.
Xeon - 2660 v3 = $110 (aliexpress)
Mem - 32gb/70$
GPU - 1050 - $100
Around 500-600$ you have yourself a mean box.

Absolutely; prior i was running computation models via icore7/32gb/SSD + 2TB. Took close to 19 hrs and it would crash.
Once i got the T5810 up with xeon, went in with 500gb m2 + 2TB for data. It came down to 4 hrs and finished successfully. I love the T5810 especially you just slot in serv
That is awesome, a saving of 15hrs. movie studios are now using these new chips to cut down on time by several months. The latest terminator for example was rendered in a short time as compared to something like core i7 could have achieved.

Back
Top Bottom